Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Hi Jump Kick crash if your opponent faints before you can use the move? (For example, Mega Lopunny tries to HJK Tyranitar, but it switches into a <50% Talonflame in SR)

I asked on the competitive tutoring room but didn't get much answer. My team is looking pretty Lando/Gliscor weak and I need to fit an ice type move. Team is this http://pastebin.com/qX27CMc3 and my options are replacing Knock Off with Ice Punch on Gallade, or Destiny Bond with Icy Wind on Gengar.

Ice Punch has a chance to ohko Mega Gardevoir at +2, and is better suited for dealing with Knock Off Scarf Lando, and can finish off fairies easier if you don't want to risk missing with Zen Headbutt. It is also less expected than Knock Off, and it still ohkoes the Latis and Gengar at +2, while damaging more dragons than Knock Off does psychic types, not to mention it always ohkoes Calm Mind Landorus even after a boost.
It doesn't remove items and does less damage to neutral targets, which is bad. Slowbro walls it to hell and back now, since Dark + Fighting + Psychic is perfect coverage.

Icy Wind lowers speed which is cool for a team with no Scarfers, Gengar doesn't need to mega evolve to outspeed Landorus (and a +2 Garchomp for example) which is great, Destiny Bond can be played with effectively making me lose a turn. Icy Wind has a sexy 100% chance of lowering speed, which can turn usual faster switch ins a liability (Starmie, Weavile, Raikou, some scarfers etc).
Destiny Bond however is a great way of providing a last ditch effort of defeating a bulky set up sweeper or a slower treat that I can't defeat, which is a good plus.

Wow sorry for the wall of text. Opinions? Help?

I'd say put Icy Wind on Gengar. Ice Punch is a bit easier to see coming on Gallade because its targets stop his coverage otherwise with bulk/ability.

Icy Wind Gengar is effective but not close to "standard" either. It makes for a very effective Lure for the mons its supposed to hit, since things like Sp Def Gliscor are normally a team's defensive answer to Gengar.

Also, as suggested by Celtic, HP Ice Zapdos is an option to hit Landorus, as Zapdos outright check it. Its a matter of whether you want a check to keep alive, or Gengar to play around and bait it in.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Can someone explain me why there is suddenly much discussion about crap pokemon like Pachirisu, Gogoat and Tauros while nobody is talking about good pokemon that are still unranked such as Honchkrow and Forretress?

How is SD Lum Garchomp played against Mega Sableye? I understand that the idea is to SD as Sableye Will-O-Wisps, but Garchomp can't OHKO at +2 and then Sableye can just Wisp again, right? So how does it win that matchup?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How is SD Lum Garchomp played against Mega Sableye? I understand that the idea is to SD as Sableye Will-O-Wisps, but Garchomp can't OHKO at +2 and then Sableye can just Wisp again, right? So how does it win that matchup?
You're not really swords dancing directly versus sableye, the idea is to force something out and set up an sd and then you can 2hko mega Sableye afterwards, as this somewhat prevents sableye from blocking your stealth rock. This obviously doesn't work in your favor if your opponent leads with sableye, as you described.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Lol I haven't seen a situation where Lum Chomp actually did what it was suppose to do against M-Sableye except for dying to Foul Play + ground immune switch in. If anything it's just a buffer for general status at this point.

Was looking through the SPL thread and I noticed some people choosing not to run hazard removal on teams that don't look like hyper offense. Just curious what the thought process is behind deciding whether or not your team needs hazard removal.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Was looking through the SPL thread and I noticed some people choosing not to run hazard removal on teams that don't look like hyper offense. Just curious what the thought process is behind deciding whether or not your team needs hazard removal.
Certain hazard removers kill momentum, a problem on all forms of offense. Also take into consideration the majority of these teams that don't run hazard removal are building to mitigate their hazard weakness, so think non SR weak mons, spike immune mons, Toxic Spike absorbers, along with utilizing their own hazards to maintain the momentum and loss of hazard removal. Can't exactly speak for each person who builds on this idea but personally that's my idea of when building a team with no hazard removal.

Thanks Celticpride and pika pal (and AM on Showdown), I decided to go for Icy Wind. HP Ice on Zapdos is a cool idea but SD MScizor also threatens my team badly so Heat Wave is more important IMO.

I'm confused on how "Leftovers number" and "Life Orb number" work in terms of HP. What adjustments on my Pokemon's HP do I need to make in order to maximize Leftovers recovery / minimize Life Orb damage? I was wondering as some Pokemon like Latios run 29 HP IVs as to minimize damage Life Orb recoil.

I'm confused on how "Leftovers number" and "Life Orb number" work in terms of HP. What adjustments on my Pokemon's HP do I need to make in order to maximize Leftovers recovery / minimize Life Orb damage? I was wondering as some Pokemon like Latios run 29 HP IVs as to minimize damage Life Orb recoil.
Life Orb takes one tenth of your HP away. However, math in Pokemon works such that all part numbers round down. So, to minimize Life Orb damage, an HP stat that's one less than an interval of ten will allow you an extra hit. Bisharp, for example, has 269 HP with 29 HP IVs, so it'll lose 26 HP per round of Life Orb rather than 27.

Leftovers is similar, though in this case you're looking to maximize healing rather than minimize it. You'll want to make sure that your HP is an interval of 16 so that you'll gain the extra point of health each turn.

Some extra reading if you're interested
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/magic-number-of-hp.3456308/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/maximum-leftovers-recovery-rough-draft.41120/

Last edited:
I need an OU pure Ground type that's nice and bulky for my team. Any suggestions?
Depends on what in particular you need it to do.

Hippowdon is a very sturdy option for a mixed wall thanks to Slack Off and a variety of support options like Toxic, Whirlwind, Stealth Rock, or coverage moves to beat what he walls like Talonflame.

Landorus-T has pseudo-Physical Bulk thanks to intimidate, but can't be used like a wall the way Hippowdon does.

When people are referencing power creep and speed creep, are they referring to the general increase of the power and speed of the metagame over time as new generations and 'mons are introduced?

When people are referencing power creep and speed creep, are they referring to the general increase of the power and speed of the metagame over time as new generations and 'mons are introduced?
not entirely accurate. 'Speed creep' refers to the speed EV arms race that takes place over the course of a generation. Speed is an extremely important stat and just one or two points can be the difference between going first and going second. Savvy teambuilders are aware of the 'common' speed benchmarks used, and will 'creep' their Pokémon's EVs so that they're able to outspeed and gain an advantage. One example from early XY was the speed creep of Belly Drum Azumarill; one of the most common switchins to BD Azumarill at the time was Rotom-W, who typically didn't run speed EVs. It was discovered that a Jolly Azumarill with sufficient speed could outpace standard Rotom-W and OHKO with +6 Play Rough before it got burned or crippled with VS. Over time, Rotom-W adapted to this by running enough speed to outrun Azumarill. The general speed level of the metagame 'crept' upwards.

Exactly what SomePumpkinPie said, although it also references running minimal amounts of speed on Pokemon that don't need speed, but it is useful to break the speed tie with the same Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)