Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For a defensive-oriented Pokemon, why is it that the leftover 4 EVs is placed in the remaining defensive stat? For example, the analysis page for Skarmory has it using 4 SpD for the physically Def set while the SpD set uses 4 Def. Since the 4 EVs wouldn't really make a difference in whether a hit will KO or not, wouldn't it be better to just put it in Spe where the difference of 1 point might allow you to Roost or Taunt opposing mons who run 0 Spe?

(Offensive mons normally place it in HP / Def / SpD as it really doesn't matter unless it's a mixed attacker)
It is supposedly done to reduce residual damage from stuff like Stealth Rock and spikes due to the HP stat sometimes being divisible, but often the 4 EVs are placed in a defensive stat other than HP arbitrarily. These are the rules you should really go for before consideration of LO/leftovers numbers:
  • Not divisible by 2 for any Pokemon 4x weak to SR
  • Not divisible by 4 for any grounded Pokemon barring Volcarona and Magic Guard users and for un-grounded Pokemon 2x weak to Stealth Rock
  • Not divisible by 8 for any un-grounded Pokemon which are neutral to Stealth Rock
  • Not divisible by 16 for any non-grounded Pokemon which 2x resist Stealth Rock
  • Not divisible by 32 for any non-grounded Pokemon which 4x resist Stealth Rock
Of course there are exceptions with Pokemon such as Gliscor, Poison Heal Breloom, Sub+pinch berry users, LO users and a handful of Lefties users, Belly Drum users, Regenerator users etc., where IVs may also need modification or where having a HP stat divisible by one of the above denominators is acceptable, but generally speaking this is what you need to go for

p2

Banned deucer.
im pretty sure its just something that has stuck from analyses. you're not allowed to put the remaining 4 evs into speed on the analysis because of rules on speed creep. im pretty sure plenty of players just throw the remaining 4 evs into speed anyway.

What is better for SD Bisharp at the moment for balanced / offensive teams - Adamant or Jolly? "It depends on team blah blah" yeah I know - just generally speaking.

What is better for SD Bisharp at the moment for balanced / offensive teams - Adamant or Jolly? "It depends on team blah blah" yeah I know - just generally speaking.
Generally

Life Orb and Jolly
Black glasses and Adamant

As far as sets are concerned, which leads to, a slightly higher speed tier and boost to iron head vs lack of LO recoil. Not even team specific usually more just preference but those are the tradeoffs.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I like adamant LO a lot because it gives Bisharp a >50% chance to OHKO unaware Clef after rocks (Black Glasses can never OHKO after rocks) and is just generally really hard for such an offensively-inclined metagame to handle. Jolly Bisharp has become such a targetted speed tier that honestly I've given up on it outside of Low Kick variants and just go for maximum damage output nowadays. Therefore imo ada>jolly generally until the speed benchmark becomes a little less targetted. However, its ultra subjective so this is just my opinion.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Durant isn't really justifiable in the OU meta since its main moves are unreliable and it has paper thin bulk, if you want a normal bug/steel type, why not use scizor? it's not even a legend omg
Because Durant has way more immediate power and speed. Of course it isn't really good but it is nice to beat teams that use pokemon such as Heatran, Keldeo and SpD Talonflame as their Scizor counter.
AoA / Hone Claws 3 Attacks with LO is the set I'd use. You shouldn't really focus on your longetivity but more on breaking walls early game so you can sweep lategame with pokemon that struggle with aforementioned threats. Juridisch advies

Martin

U'd use it cause Durant is much more powerful/fast unboosted and can KO Keldeo with Thunder Fang.

Anyway if you wanna use Durant the set I'd use is this:

Durant @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Superpower
- Thunder Fang

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
when is clef getting suspected bc that shit is just broken
it's probably not going to because it has so many checks especially those introduced in ORAS, it gets shut down by taunt, it has underwhelming bulk in terms of tanking hits from crazy strong mons like zardx, and it's weak. (of course it's rly fkn good for other reasons) However, any discussion on potential suspects takes part in the policy review forum.

it's probably not going to because it has so many checks especially those introduced in ORAS, it gets shut down by taunt, it has underwhelming bulk in terms of tanking hits from crazy strong mons like zardx, and it's weak. (of course it's rly fkn good for other reasons) However, any discussion on potential suspects takes part in the policy review forum.
Remember, you dont have to stay in on a taunt or a zard. theres always a switch button :] oh i didnt read the last part of your reply. ddo i just delete tis

I was wondering, as I always seem to worry 'bout small things when building team for the OU Tier. My Question is: Is Scarf Excadrill a thing, and if it is, is it too small to worry about alot?

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I was wondering, as I always seem to worry 'bout small things when building team for the OU Tier. My Question is: Is Scarf Excadrill a thing, and if it is, is it too small to worry about alot?
Yes, scarf excadrill is a thing. Decent scarfer and it can be something to worry about at times since it punish teams that use rotom-wash and latios as "ground resists" thanks to mold breaker ignoring levitate. The most common excadrills are sand rush tho, a good way to identify on team preview that the excadrill is mold breaker: If there isnt a tyranitar or hippowdon paired with it, generally mold breaker.

All things considered, it is kind of small to worry about since people prefer other scarfers like landorus-t or garchomp lately.

Yes, scarf excadrill is a thing. Decent scarfer and it can be something to worry about at times since it punish teams that use rotom-wash and latios as "ground resists" thanks to mold breaker ignoring levitate. The most common excadrills are sand rush tho, a good way to identify on team preview that the excadrill is mold breaker: If there isnt a tyranitar or hippowdon paired with it, generally mold breaker.

All things considered, it is kind of small to worry about since people prefer other scarfers like landorus-t or garchomp lately.
Ah I see, so in short usually this: SandSetter = Sand Rush. No SandSetter = Scarf but not always. Beedrill + Rotom is my core so far.

EDIT: Nvm Latias replaced Rotom. Weak to charizard Y

Can somebody pass me a team that's good at breaking down balance? I'm in a tourni and my opponent is known for using balance and shamelessly, I'm trying to counter team him.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Are Sun teams viable in the meta? I'm asking this because I noticed Venusaur was ranked at C, is there a reason to use Sun over Rain teams?

Can somebody pass me a team that's good at breaking down balance? I'm in a tourni and my opponent is known for using balance and shamelessly, I'm trying to counter team him.
Just pack a wallbreaker? Manaphy, Mega Heracross, Mega Gard, Mega Pinsir, HoopaU, Mega Medicham, CharY, etc all help. Pick a strong wallbreaker and get some other things to handle common checks to said breaker.
Are Sun teams viable in the meta? I'm asking this because I noticed Venusaur was ranked at C, is there a reason to use Sun over Rain teams?
Venu is niche on some CharY teams that's about it. Full Sun is a no go.

Martin

Its ranked because CharY+Venu+sand squads have proven to be successful in the past. Full sun is hard to pull off, however.

p2

Banned deucer.
if you use sun cores, youre always best to pair it with a ttar+exca core + something else (usually a scarfer or water type) then your final slot should be a dedicated stallbreaker.

sun builds are extremely one dimensional and almost every one of them will look like zard|venu|ttar|exca|keld|breaker,very similar to the dual weather team by ox the fox. You can usually drop the breaker for a good rocker if you run cb ttar since that shit just tears into stall with zard y

never use full sun tho

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
just use one of those generic mana+kyub+tran builds or smthn like that

edit: http://pastebin.com/UiYGYpZB this has a bunch of really cool sets that shit on common meta trends like physical kyub+hp fire latios+tpunch mgross n shit. Also, S/O to WECAMEASROMANS for both the kyub and the meta sets. This is weak to some shit like LO tornt, but that's not rly too common on fat balance.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)