Lower Tiers ORAS NU Role Compendium

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Updated with some of the tier shifts and added a Mega Steelix checks section, will do more later.
Considering adding a Virizion checks section - thoughts?

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Quagsire in M-Steelix counters, Gatr counters
Virizion in Taunt users(maybe not, but it has one of the fastest taunts in the tier), M-Steelix counters(Focus Blast does a ton), Boosting sweepers(under both Swords Dance and Calm Mind, imo)
Claydol in Stealth Rock setters and Hazard Control
Heliosk in Gatr checks, pivots
Mawile in boosting sweepers(swords dance), priority(sucker punch), and will Stealth Rock be a thing on Mawile? It gets it, but how often do you think it's gonna be used? Hmmm.

And I vote yes on a Verizion checks section.

Quagsire in M-Steelix counters, Gatr counters
Virizion in Taunt users(maybe not, but it has one of the fastest taunts in the tier), M-Steelix counters(Focus Blast does a ton), Boosting sweepers(under both Swords Dance and Calm Mind, imo)
Claydol in Stealth Rock setters and Hazard Control
Heliosk in Gatr checks, pivots
Mawile in boosting sweepers(swords dance), priority(sucker punch), and will Stealth Rock be a thing on Mawile? It gets it, but how often do you think it's gonna be used? Hmmm.

And I vote yes on a Verizion checks section.
mawile shud be able to break stall with taunt, super fang, play rough, and i guess rocks?

DD Gatr deserves a mention. Make a Dragon Dance category for it, or put it in "other".

A Choice Scarf section might be good as well.

Shouldn't Togetic/Vullaby be under hazard control, Huntail be under priority, Virizion under Feraligatr checks, Feraligatr/Samurott under fire checks?

Perhaps maybe Grumpig under fire checks, Simipour under nasty plot sweepers, and Gogoat under bulk up sweepers?

Also yes to a virizion check section.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Shouldn't Togetic/Vullaby be under hazard control, Huntail be under priority, Virizion under Feraligatr checks, Feraligatr/Samurott under fire checks?

Perhaps maybe Grumpig under fire checks, Simipour under nasty plot sweepers, and Gogoat under bulk up sweepers?

Also yes to a virizion check section.
Will do that, thx.
Edit: forgot to say I made those changes.

Last edited:
A few new additions would be really crisp

With the release of custap berry stuff like Crustle & Pineco can set hazards while others like Sudowoodo,Golem,Gigalith can explode after setting up rocks thanks to sturdy.Sash Leads such as Archeops and Barbaracle have access to SR + Taunt.

Dedicated Leads:

Adding common Choice scarf users will also be helpful.

Choice Scarf Users:

Thought about suggesting some weather mons.Manual rain/sun/sand can be pretty threatening at times and is viable.

Weather Inducers:

Rain abusers:

Sand abusers:

Sun abusers:

These are just suggestions,feel free to add/remove whatever you want!

I would also like to provide Archeops checks,it should be having its own section by now since it can tear apart most of the teams especially offense.Only few mons can naturally outspeed it and kill it.Its a big threat in the tier.

Archeops checks:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
And with that (the quick tier shift), there was one Mega Pokemon left in the tier.

Also, added some of the above - thanks for the suggestions.

edit: welcome back camerupt!

Last edited:

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Similar to Can's post, Lisk is still listed under Gatr checks. The whole Gatr checks section as a whole could do with some editting but I understand that's a big can of worms. At the very least, I would remove Plume, Eggy, and Leafeon (unless you count scarf Leafeon for some reason ?.?) as they lose to every common Gatr set now.
Lilligant can be added to Choice Scarf users, Mismagius can be added to Fighting type checks, Avalugg can be added to hazard control, and Quilladin can be added to defensive Spiker. Those would be my only suggestions for edits.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Similar to Can's post, Lisk is still listed under Gatr checks. The whole Gatr checks section as a whole could do with some editting but I understand that's a big can of worms. At the very least, I would remove Plume, Eggy, and Leafeon (unless you count scarf Leafeon for some reason ?.?) as they lose to every common Gatr set now.
Lilligant can be added to Choice Scarf users, Mismagius can be added to Fighting type checks, Avalugg can be added to hazard control, and Quilladin can be added to defensive Spiker. Those would be my only suggestions for edits.
Considering the qb vote is taking place this weekend, I might just waits few days until then for gatr stuff here :P

liligant typhlosion and scyther make good nu choice scarfers, and while typhlosion is better specs it still has the option to run a scarfed set if needed for the team.

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
Garbodor should be added to Offensive Spikers (I assume that's just spikers for offense?) imo, lead garb is bae and kills Xatu
edit: Mawile's a pretty solid offensive sr setter, I've been using it a fair bit lately

Perhaps add Typhlosion in Offensive Fire Check? With Flash Fire, its a decent answer to Fire spam that is not named Hariyama.

Perhaps add Typhlosion in Offensive Fire Check? With Flash Fire, its a decent answer to Fire spam that is not named Hariyama.
It could be considered one, but Typh needs EQ to check other Typh, as well as run something like Charcoal

Well, its something that can switch in into fire type moves, wouldn't that be considered an offensive check? Like Ninetales and Flareon on that list, which functions as a check via Flash Fire.

Also, if the list is arranged according to viability, wouldn't Claydol be higher in the hazard control list? I feel like for spinner, Claydol is actually high up there as one of the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)