Other ORAS Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Also, there is a new feature in ORAS that allows wild Pokemon to have breeding moves, so those moves will become more common. Choice specs boomburst swellow huehuehue.

Oh yeah, to add to my previous post, Adaptability Skrelp is available due to Skrelp being found in a swarm, according to the datamine. Forget where tho.

Oh yeah, to add to my previous post, Adaptability Skrelp is available due to Skrelp being found in a swarm, according to the datamine. Forget where tho.
Oh, so Skrelp and Draggy get 'Daptabitity now eh. I sense an oncoming rise in usage of both Specs variants.....and Trick room.
Not saying he's viable or anything (I tried this thing right as XY came out and....Earthquake.)
Still, Skrelp will be an awesome tank in LC, and I do believe that Altaria and Drag will both rise in usage so....no dragons in NU.

So have tiers for all the new Mega Evolutions been decided upon yet, and if not, when will they be?
The game literally just came out yesterday, jesus
It'll take a while for the metagame to settle down and they can all generally find a place, especially since we're seemingly starting off with a mega mence-less meta. And even THEN, the metagame will constantly change.

So have tiers for all the new Mega Evolutions been decided upon yet, and if not, when will they be?
They're all in the tiers that they were in before until December's usage stats come out or if they are banned from their respective tiers. (So Swampert is still UU, Lopunny is still PU, Slowbro is still OU etc. for now)

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Tiers update every three months, so the next tier update will occur at the beginning of December. November's usage stats are weighed much heavier than October's and September's, but I'm still not sure 10 days of usage will let any megas become OU. Unless ORAS OU is used for all of november's stats, I doubt any of the newly viable mons (lopunny, altaria, beedrill, metagross, salamence, Diancie, etc), will become OU until march.

But just for my predictions:
Beedrill = BL
Pidgeot = ??
Slowbro = OU
Steelix = RU
Sceptile = OU
Swampert = UU
Sableye = OU (or maybe less because of the bug with its name)
Sharpedo = RU
Camerupt = ??
Altaria = OU (or maybe less because of the bug with its name)
Glalie = ??
Salamence = Ubers
Metagross = OU
Latias = OU
Latios = OU
Lopunny = OU
Gallade = OU
Audino = NU
Diancie = BL

e: edited to reflect valid qualms with my original post

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Aragorn the King I agree with most of your predictions, but there is no way in heck Pidgot is staying NU with no guard hurricanes and stupid fast u-turns. I'd say BL2 minimum as mega bird-jesus is at least as strong as tornadous (much better offensive power and speed, but less utility).
This, also MCamerupt is probably too much for even UU to handle. Highly doubt it'll stay RU let alone NU

Tiers update every three months, so the next tier update will occur at the beginning of December. November's usage stats are weighed much heavier than October's and September's, but I'm still not sure 10 days of usage will let any megas become OU. Unless ORAS OU is used for all of november's stats, I doubt any of the newly viable mons (lopunny, altaria, beedrill, metagross, salamence, Diancie, etc), will become OU until march.

But just for my predictions:
Beedrill = BL
Pidgeot = NU
Slowbro = OU
Steelix = RU
Sceptile = OU
Swampert = UU
Sableye = OU (or maybe less because of the bug with its name)
Sharpedo = RU
Camerupt = NU
Altaria = OU (or maybe less because of the bug with its name)
Glalie = NU
Salamence = Ubers
Metagross = OU
Latias = OU
Latios = OU
Lopunny = OU
Gallade = OU
Audino = NU
Diancie = BL
The ORAS OU and ORAS Uber were technically Other Metagames and hence will not be used for usage stats, so... yeah.
Pidgeot, Glalie and Camerupt NU are you fuckin' nuts? Do you really think Mega Glalie is NU material when Mega Obama is sitting in RU?
Mega Audino makes sense tho it's a piece of shit

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Thanks for your responses.

Since we're talking about this, here are my predictions as well:

Beedrill = BL
Pidgeot = RU
Slowbro = OU
Steelix = RU
Sceptile = OU
Swampert = BL
Sableye = OU
Sharpedo = UU
Camerupt = UU
Altaria = OU
Glalie = UU
Salamence = Ubers
Metagross = OU
Latias = OU
Latios = OU
Lopunny = OU
Gallade = OU
Audino = NU
Diancie = OU

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Quote from Aldaron from his VR Thread:

Regarding SPL and lower tiers: I've contacted some of the lower tier leaders and asked them to make quick decisions with the obvious megas.

For example, I think it's clear Mega Altaria / Mega Beedrill / Mega Gallade have no place in NU or RU, so hopefully they ban them quickly.

I'll also ask antar to make 1 month stats from Nov 22 - Dec 22 that we can use to usage-remove a lot of these megas quickly as well.

Basically, just move quickly :P
I bolded the last part because it shows that the tier leaders are pretty aware of how the new Megas will shake up the tiers, and that these usage stats Aldaron is requesting will be the deciding factor for the "non-obvious" megas. Hopefully this answers that question :$

Aragorn the King I've heard informal talk that they may make the December cycle count for a three month interval by itself. Makes sense, especially with a certain quick ban on the way by the end of November. NU isn't going to have any Megas outside of Audino. Even Mega Glalie completely wrecks the tier.

Edit: Ninja'd by -Clone-. I do wonder how new toy syndrome might impact this. Could we see some things that are firmly OU worth drop to BL/UU just because of that, while other new Megas that really aren't OU level end up in OU?

Quote from Aldaron from his VR Thread:

I bolded the last part because it shows that the tier leaders are pretty aware of how the new Megas will shake up the tiers, and that these usage stats Aldaron is requesting will be the deciding factor for the "non-obvious" megas. Hopefully this answers that question :$
So does that mean, for instance, the quick-banned Megas like Gallade and Beedrill will go to BL2/BL?

I don't think people realize just how good of a cleric mDino really is. It's the chansey of lower tiers. It may not be the best mega, but there is no way that bulky thing is going to be in NU.

Greninja is pissing me off so much. It's on literally every team and the move set possibilities are completely endless. Every team I build ever is weak to some type of greninja. No switch ins, completely unpredictable, arrrrrggghhhh.
Fuck you game freak. Fuck. You. Who gives freaking GRENINJA low kick and gunk shot?
What can deal with this little shit and is relatively viable in OU?

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Greninja is pissing me off so much. It's on literally every team and the move set possibilities are completely endless. Every team I build ever is weak to some type of greninja. No switch ins, completely unpredictable, arrrrrggghhhh.
Fuck you game freak. Fuck. You. Who gives freaking GRENINJA low kick and gunk shot?
What can deal with this little shit and is relatively viable in OU?
Tentacruel, Empoleon, Porygon2

Also Depending on the coverage: Clefable, Sylveon, Slowbro, Mew, Heatran, Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, Keldeo, and the Zards (post Mega).

Ninja is good, but hes not the end all be all people are making him out to be, and despite they hype hes gotten every ORAS team Ive made has been able to handle him quite well. I havent found myself on the receiving end of a Greninja sweep since the beginning of XY.

Tentacruel, Empoleon, Porygon2

Also Depending on the coverage: Clefable, Sylveon, Slowbro, Mew, Heatran, Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, Keldeo, and the Zards (post Mega).

Ninja is good, but hes not the end all be all people are making him out to be, and despite they hype hes gotten every ORAS team Ive made has been able to handle him quite well. I havent found myself on the receiving end of a Greninja sweep since the beginning of XY.
Honestly, only one of those is really decent at dealing with ninja 1v1 and that's P2. Tentacruel and Empoleon should be in that "Depending on coverage" portion.

I understand depending on coverage but that means dick all when you're team building. You're basically crossing your fingers when you see one.
Once mence goes greninja will be the best pokemon in the game by far lol. Guess i'll try out p2 considering it has the added bonus of taking on mence.
I don't see how every team you have built is able to handle it quite well though? Considering less than a handful of the 700 pokemon we have access to can reliably deal with it. The depending on coverage argument really isn't that great because it actually works to greninja's advantage. It can bluff sets all day long. Regardless, this isn't the time for a greninja debate, I was just looking for some suggestions on how to handle it better. Thank you for your suggestions. :)

Aragorn the King I've heard informal talk that they may make the December cycle count for a three month interval by itself. Makes sense, especially with a certain quick ban on the way by the end of November. NU isn't going to have any Megas outside of Audino. Even Mega Glalie completely wrecks the tier.

Edit: Ninja'd by -Clone-. I do wonder how new toy syndrome might impact this. Could we see some things that are firmly OU worth drop to BL/UU just because of that, while other new Megas that really aren't OU level end up in OU?
It certainly happened earlier this gen, so it could happen again. Who here remembers UU Kyub, Terrakion, and Landrous (only for 12 hours, but it still happened)?

The game literally just came out yesterday, jesus
It'll take a while for the metagame to settle down and they can all generally find a place, especially since we're seemingly starting off with a mega mence-less meta. And even THEN, the metagame will constantly change.
No need to be so hostile...

boxofkangaroos to answer your question, no they're not decided yet but they will be within a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)