Metagame NP: Stage 5 - Red Ruby Da Sleeze (DLC1 Movepool Updates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
ZU Circuit Champion
:sv/jolteon:

Ok so I am going to form this post in a very specific format. I am going to analyze tournament replays from the past few weeks where Jolteon has been legal, its impact in the matches, and my own diagnosis on whether or not it was an unhealthy presence in that particular game. Using the information from the replays I will come to my personal opinion about Jolteon before the vote this weekend and present it here. I will then give my recommendation as to what I think will be the best course of action wrt tiering. Have not done a post like this since Glastrier in SSNU so without further ado here we go!

Week 5 NUWC Usage

| 3 | Jolteon | 9 | 34.62% | 77.78% |

So to begin we see in Week 5 of NUWC where we see it is used 9 times between 8 matches and has a very impressive 78% win rate. It is notable that is is only below Flamigo(banned) and Sandaconda which has been a NU S tier mainstay for almost the entirety of generation. A glue pokemon and a broken pokemon are the only two things above it this week. It is notable to write that All the initial September drops are still around in this week.

Togkey vs Elfuseon - Jolteon was used as a creative form of speed control in this game, it revenge kills a Heracross and volt switches out. Not really a notable use of Jolteon in this match.
Danny vs justdrew - On Turn 16 my Jolteon is used to revenge kill a Salazzle, drew chooses to save the lazzle and lets his Magneton get chipped. Pretty mundane interaction. On Turns 36 and 37 my Jolteon kills a weakened Uxie and a weakened Sandaconda after I use my Tera. The game was pretty won at that point and I just needed the coverage. Once again not really an indication of anything unhealthy or overly beneficial either. Speed and a pseudo scarf was what was given.
GW vs outbackrabbit - Jolteon dies on Turn 1 to a scarfed Toxicroak.
Hacker vs Saurav the Great - Jolteon did not come out.
gorex vs awyp - rain vs a BO team. Jolteon is used in the last two turns where it clicks Tbolt on a Floatzel and a Sableye. Another game where it served a healthyrole.
Elias PSY vs Sylveon is so cute - Jolteon was used to lead by Sylveon and it volts out. Elias's Jolteon trades half its health for a KO on a Zoroark.
Soucou vs Ac1D_13 - Jolteon is annoyance for Acid's team early game, it sets up a CM on Articuno, forces Articuno to Tera and then Jolteon itself Tera Flyings on a Leaf Storm from Electrode Hisui. However this Tera allows Hariyama to eventually revenge kill the Jolteon. So its progress was a trade with Etrode and 48% on Articuno. Acid then cleans up with his defensive core which was not broken through.
Tuthur vs Leni - Jolteon comes in on Turn 32 and Volts out on an Umbreon. It does not come back in for the remainder of the game.

As a summary of this week, Jolteon kinda was just there. It might have been outshined by Delphox/Melo/Migo/Zoro, even if it got more usage. It could be easy to assume that it was placed on teams because of its speed and defensive utility while giving teams an easy win condition. In practice, the majority of these games Jolteon was either a sack, lost early, or really did not make good enough progress.

Semifinals NUWC Usage

| 3 | Jolteon | 4 | 28.57% | 50.00% |

In semis it was used 4 times in 3 different games. It is notable that this was post bans of Meloetta, Delphox, and Flamigo. Perhaps these bans will show a more impactful role for Jolteon.

feen vs Leni - Jolteon trades itself to 45% to a Magneton. It might be worthwhile to note that it used Shadow Ball, kind of just a representation of its coverage versatility, even if it did not do much this game.
shiloh vs Indulge in Dreams - Ok so this game is kind of funny for a few reasons. Both users use a Jolteon and both use a Whiscash. Whiscash was slightly notable in this meta specifically for its ability to check the most common Jolteon set of Tera Ice. Shiloh's Jolteon is completely stuffed and Indulge's is as well, however it has Rotom to actually force progress for it. A potential sign of its unhealthiness?
skierdude101 vs kaifengyyds - Tauros swept before Jolteon got a chance to actually click a move.

Jolteon did nothing in 2/3 games and then the two other Jolteons were stuffed by Whiscash. it was noted above that Whiscash might be a reflection of how warping Jolteon is in the builder. I do not know if that is entirely true, I think its possible, but Whiscash saw usage in the meta when Jolteon was not legal so I am not sure if that is the case. I will note that I MYSELF did add Whiscash onto my team(used by me in week 5 and shiloh in Semis) specifcally to have spikes and to serve as another soft check to Jolteon and Sandaconda. It is notable that this round of the tournament was before DLC moveset changes. The changes did not affect Jolteon's moves at all, however perhaps the changes in other mons could affect Jolteon.

NeverUsed Ladder Tour Semis

Danny vs DugZa - I swear I am not trying to toot my own horn too much but I do think this game is the biggest piece of evidence for a Pro Ban sentiment. This game shows two very solid teams played by solid pilots. Immediately DugZa leads Jolteon and puts me in an awkward position. In hindsight I had a very safe switch to my own Jolteon as generally players do not want to tera so early on. For what it is worth, both of our teams were notably weak to Jolt. DugZa gets a kill by turn 5 as I try to make an aggressive play. DugZa gets his Jolteon in numerous times vs my team. On T22 I get a bit of momentum back by getting a free CM on their Jolteon. On Turn 28 all I had to do was CM to +6 or hard switch to Naclstack to win that game. Too bad I AM BAD and then lost the speed ties. I think in this game we show how powerful Jolteon can potentially be vs others. I would like to reference Kiyo's post where he notes that we don't have a lot of scarfers being used, however that does not detract from its obviously oppressive nature IN THIS PARTICULAR GAME.
Togkey vs Axrtix - It was last mon after Tera was used and OHKO'd by an Eq.

NeverUsed Ladder Tour Finals

Axrtix vs DugZa - In this game it was used as a form of revenge killing+speed control vs a Blissey Offense??? team that had no volt immune. Kind of a self explanatory situation in and of itself, if Bliss comes in it brings in strong phys attacker. That might be one of the main complaints about its unblockable volts, its ability to bring in a strong physical attacker afterwards. But I am not confident that means that Jolteon is the problem. It seems we ran into this issue wrt Rotom-Mow last generation. I voted ban on Rotom-Mow but we also did not have Blissey or Goodra as legal options at that time.

My Experiences on ladder

It does the same thing it tends to do. I will note that I have found similar situations to what Kiyo mentioned. If my team has a strong physical scarfer I will feel confident in my play vs Jolteon and will always be able to keep it in check. If I test Scarf Rotom-Mow I fore myself into lines which are just not comfortable. I do think that being forced to use a Physical Scarfer or get every turn right with your Rotom form seems innately unhealthy. There have been situations where I test a team without a volt immune and I just get absolutely railed by Jolteon>X breaker and my AV Goodra or Blissey gets worn down over time or I end up having to sack a key physically defensive core member of my team and get beaten that way. I do think those interactions or the inability to regain momentum from them might be a problem with the team I used at the time. As I climbed ladder I started to get a better hang of how to deal with it.

What I Will Vote and Why

After discussing with my fellow council members, reading different posts and using this replay analysis tool I really am torn on this. On one hand I feel like Jolteon is or could be unhealthy. It forces weird lines, weird team structures and makes little mistakes much more punishing. On the other hand I feel like we really do not have a large enough sample size in this meta to truly know its impact. It was decidedly unremarkable during NUWC. This could be because of a few factors, with all due respect NUWC had a lot of people who do not generally play the tier playing the tier, so maybe there was some wasted potential wrt Jolteon there. All that in mind, Jolteon did jack shit in NUWC and only showed its promise or prowess in a few of the NULT and NUWC matches out of 14 different matches in two different metas. We DO NOT have any tournament games to analyze and look through in the current DLC meta. I would like to see how Jolteon performs in SCL Week 1 and NU Seasonal Round 1. If it is overwhelmingly broken it would be fair to suspect test it after we properly synthesize October 1st drops into our tier. The best outcome in my opinion would be a suspect test for Jolteon. This would allow prominent players to express their opinions. There will be SCL III coverage wrt game analysis so it will hopefully become clear if Jolteon is a problem or just something we as a tier have just not adapted to well enough like Kiyo said.

I will vote DNB right now after going through this exercise. My mind is still open until the moment that I type the thingy so feel free to go against what I wrote or bring up arguments for or against a Jolt ban. For the time being I am voting DNB however.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
DannyElias PSYeternGXEMeri BerryPokesliceRabiazS
JolteonDNBDNBBANDNBBANBANBANDNB

Jolteon stays NU after a 4-to-4 vote! This result will have us monitoring Jolteon closely as the next tier shift comes and goes, but for now expect us to take a wait-and-see approach until then :]

Curious about what the 4th move on a Sub/Toxic/Flamethrower/x set for Salazzle would be preferred. Part of me wants to go Protect for funny toxic stall shenanigans, but either Encore or Knock Off feel like they would be better choices, and picking between the two is a bit tricky. Leaning Knock Off in this case because it's just generically good and annoying, but I know how silly Encore can be from fun times using Wobbuffet in Gen 5, so idk. Also what kind of spread between HP and Special Attack to hit certain benchmarks for both

Curious about what the 4th move on a Sub/Toxic/Flamethrower/x set for Salazzle would be preferred. Part of me wants to go Protect for funny toxic stall shenanigans, but either Encore or Knock Off feel like they would be better choices, and picking between the two is a bit tricky. Leaning Knock Off in this case because it's just generically good and annoying, but I know how silly Encore can be from fun times using Wobbuffet in Gen 5, so idk. Also what kind of spread between HP and Special Attack to hit certain benchmarks for both
The fourth move would almost always be Knock Off, but there’s always freedom with the options of Encore to cripple fat walls, Protect to stall out Tox + get Lefties, and Disable to beat mons with one way to hit you. Other rarer (but slightly worse barring the last one) options are Taunt for walls, Torment—but that feels like a worse Disable, and Nasty Plot to start becoming a threat after you crippled the opposition.

Edit: 96 HP for 4 subs n max Lefties recovery, max speed, pour the rest into spatk n timid—u culd prolly go defense to make sure cc doesnt break sub from pass but im not too sure

Last edited:
The fourth move would almost always be Knock Off, but there’s always freedom with the options of Encore to cripple fat walls, Protect to stall out Tox + get Lefties, and Disable to beat mons with one way to hit you. Other rarer (but slightly worse barring the last one) options are Taunt for walls, Torment—but that feels like a worse Disable, and Nasty Plot to start becoming a threat after you crippled the opposition.

Edit: 96 HP for 4 subs n max Lefties recovery, max speed, pour the rest into spatk n timid—u culd prolly go defense to make sure cc doesnt break sub from pass but im not too sure
Gotcha, gonna go with Knock Off for now and see from there once I get a decent amount of knowledge about the tier. And I definitely forgot about stuff like lefties numbers + Sub stuff, good point on that. Further fine-tuning of the EV spread can wait until I get a good feel of the meta

I'm pretty new to the tier and I'm stuck at low ladder because of some unlucky Blizzard freezes or Jolteon paralyzing my Umbreon with Thunderbolt somehow or forgetting to give my Sneasel-H Brick Break over Close Combat to check Aurora Veil Abomasnow and Grimmsnarl after reminding myself 10 times over to replace Close Combat but nevertheless here are some Pokémon I've enjoyed using so far.

:sv/sneasel-hisui:
Sneasel-Hisui @ Eviolite
Ability: Inner Focus
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Trailblaze
- Gunk Shot
- Brick Break
I'm assuming you guys like Close Combat Sneasel-H because it's in all the analyses and I see it on every Sneasel-H so I said fine and put it on the set. But I didn't like it. I saw a lot of Abomasnow with Aurora Veil and Grimmsnarl with screens so I decided to give it Brick Break instead so that my opponents can kiss those annoying screens goodbye. This thing really doesn't like Bruxish because it has a 4x Psychic weakness and it still dies to its Water moves because even with Eviolite Sneasel-H is still pretty frail mostly on the physical side. Tera Grassing is an option but 1. 252 Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Bruxish Psychic Fangs vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Tera Grass Sneasel-Hisui: 288-340 (114.7 - 135.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO and 2. most of the time I end up Terastallizing something else because it's more important.

:sv/umbreon:
Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Foul Play
- Wish
- Taunt
Umbreon is very clearly very tanky and I like tanky Pokémon and I also like Umbreon so I decided to use Umbreon a lot. I discovered Umbreon is very good and has gotten me out of almost losing in many matches because of being tanky and stalling with Wish + Protect and spamming Foul Play. Taunt is very prediction reliant on Umbreon because Umbreon is very slow and won't be able to outspeed and Taunt most of the time.

:sv/goodra:
Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Tail
- Flamethrower
- Scald
Goodra got Scald when the DLC came out and I like Scald other than the fact that I haven't burned with Scald since the DLC came out yet. Scald can also make Goodra a physical wall as well if Scald burns so I have been using Goodra a lot hoping to get my first Scald burn. I like predicting Swords Dance and other setup with Dragon Tail and forcing them out and being annoying to my opponent. Goodra also has really high Special Attack so Draco Meteor will do a lot of damage to almost all possible opponents because it is also STAB. I almost never have to Terastallize Goodra because I either used up my tera or I'm in the middle of sweeping with Umbreon and hoping it doesn't get frozen from an Abomasnow Blizzard again.

:sv/salazzle:
Salazzle @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Corrosion
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Encore
- Knock Off
Salazzle is keemstar (nobody gets my calling something keemstar jokes he's the guy that says "I'm fast as fuck boy") and I love locking hazard setters into their hazard setting moves with a very fast Encore and I basically get a free kill or free chip damage on whatever switches in. Corrosion is a cool ability because it allows Salazzle to Sludge Bomb and poison Poison-types. Sometimes I think Salazzle is a little broken for NU because it is able to Toxic the bulky Steel and Poison-types like Copperajah and Muk and put them on a time bomb just like every other Pokémon type that can be hit by Toxic.

Other Pokémon I enjoy using:
:oricorio-pa QDance + Taunt + RevDance
:heracross: Sometimes Moxie sweeper or Spikes setter
:qwilfish: Spikes setter + TWave spammer
:rotom:/:rotom-mow: Funny Choice Scarf Tricker

Last edited:
Been doing a bit of playing, and Salazzle is doing pretty good all around. Having fast Toxic has definitely won me a few games, especially the one I just had a few moments ago. Knock Off has been pulling its weight, though I'm thinking of trying out the other options she has for that 4th moveslot to see how they measure up. One thing I have been trying out for a few games and am also enjoying is offensive Grimmsnarl. It hits pretty damn hard, and priority Parting Shot is just as good as it seems. been using Adamant for more power, but Jolly would outspeed Modest Hoopa, but not really sure if thats like, common for Hoopas to have, so idk

Oh yeah, forgot at first, but also have Knock Off Goodra since that thing forces so many switches and can afford to just throw the move out from what i can tell, plus also tells Hoopa to fuck off really hard lol. Honestly been enjoying getting back into competitive at least a bit after the long break we took from like, mid Gen 5 I wanna say?

Edit: ok, I think I am liking Encore on Salazzle more then Knock Off. It just does so much in screwing over slower setup sweepers (or even catching stuff like Jolteon if you predict them trying to greed a Calm Mind expecting a switch), setting up safe switchins for other teammates, and you can even easily loop it thanks to how fast Salazzle is

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)