Metagame NP: RU Stage -1: Message to Oglemi, Nails, and Honko (VENOMOTH STOLEN FROM US))

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is interesting that Nidoqueen will not be joining the beginning of RU this time around. On the other hand, Kyurem being around in the spotlight is very scary.

Also:

Is... is this a typo? Please!?!
The fact that it was banned from UU early on means it didn't get much play-time. Don't worry, no Latias in RU @~@

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
One thing that could be really effective in the RU metagame is Life Orb Tangrowth. Tangrowth can punch huge holes in opposing teams with its 100/110 offensive stats, and a set with Knock Off, Leaf Storm, Focus Blast (miss), and a Hidden Power (preferably Fire) can cover much of the current RU. Leaf storm alone can dish more than 50% damage to most of the metagame that doesn't resist grass, Knock Off annoys opponents and can do some decent damage to ghosts, psychics and other opponents that are physically weak, Focus Blast can smash some steel-type switch-ins especially Cobalion, and the last slot is up to you depending on what coverage is needed the most. Fire is preferred so that it is not completely walled by Amoonguss, and Escavalier, which is already running rampant throughout the RU metagame.

Further bolstering the suitability of the life orb is its ability Regenerator as it can heal back the life orb recoil done by the attacking. No further explanation needed here.

The only 'mons from my knowledge that can fully withstand Life Orb Tangrowth is Cresselia (which might hit the RU chopping block soon, although Tangrowth itself might actually be stolen back through the hands of the UU players), Amoonguss, and Golbat (doesn't want to lose the eviolite, but can nevertheless counter Tangrowth). Knocking off the Life Orb will hinder Tangrowth's offensive presence a little bit, but the effective use of a Life Orb is another reason Tangrowth will definitely be a force to be reckoned with as the RU tier shapes up.

Last edited:
Ok, so here are two very fun and interesting sets I recommend you guys give a try!

@
(Weakness Policy)
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

This set is fucking amazing:
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 177-208 (52.9 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Escavalier: 528-624 (153.4 - 181.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Dusclops: 153-180 (53.8 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 328-387 (77.3 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Milotic: 316-373 (80.2 - 94.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 350-414 (88.8 - 105%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 240-283 (54 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 211-250 (69.4 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 248-292 (73.3 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 228-268 (64.4 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 153-180 (38.8 - 45.6%) -- 15.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, 1 layer of Spikes, and Leftovers recovery
Ok, now the explanation of this set! After just one Rock Polish, you reach 358 Speed, or base 113 Speed. And your Attack sky rockets to 832, higher than Mega Mawile's. It gets STAB EdgeQuake, which is simply amazing. Fire Punch just compliments it for the rare Bronzong and to hit bulkier Grass-types. But even the most bulky things still fall to Rhyperior's might. And Rhyperior has astounding bulk, here's a calc I like:
252+ Atk Escavalier Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 177-208 (47.7 - 56%) -- 79.3% chance to 2HKO
However, don't keep it in on Water / Grass-type Pokemon before the boost, as you most likely will be OHKOed anyways. This set has quickly become my favorite in RU, I hope you guys try it!

To write; Pawniard ;]

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
My experiences in RU can be summed up as: fuck Tornadus.

Allow me to list down what I think are the only checks that can switch into Tornadus more than once:
- Raikou
- Rotom-S
- Eviolite Electabuzz
- Assault Vest Eelektross
- Stunfisk
- Carbink
- edit: Registeel and Regice possibly

What's that? The item wielding Electric-types get screwed over by Knock Off, and there is no way in hell you'd use Stunfisk and Carbink because they are sitting ducks against damn near everything else? Well we really have a problem now do we?

At least Kyurem has some viable, non-specific responses such as Slowking, Escavalier, and Magnet Rise Cobalion, and is generally soft checked by Assault Vest users, while not being impossibly fast. Tornadus is not only in a very high speed tier, but it can chip away at its checks with U-turn, or cripple them in the long run with Knock Off. Even the aforementioned Raikou and Rotom-S don't want to step in on Tornadus should one be unfortunate enough to trigger the genie's Defiant ability.

Edit: This does not even touch upon the three-headed trappers that easily pave the way for Tornadus, and its synergy with the Hitmon brothers who can Rapid Spin for it.

Last edited:
Rhyperior hits a whopping 358 speed after a Rock Polish(252 speed evs) with Adamant Nature, that's enough to outpace a +Speed natured(252 speed evs) base 113s; AND 252 speed base 129 mons.

Hits 392 speed after a Rock Polish(252 speed evs) with Jolly nature. Enough to outpace +Speed natured(252 speed evs) 129 base mons; AND 252 speed ev 149 base mons.

It seems fast but it's not outpacing many Scarfers... maybe Emboar? But anything with over 81 speed and a Scarf is going to be faster than even Jolly Rhyperior after a Rock Polish; unlike Tyrantrum who actually outpaces Scarfed Raikou(115 speed) after a Rock Polish.

Rhyperior hits a whopping 358 speed after a Rock Polish(252 speed evs) with Adamant Nature, that's enough to outpace a +Speed natured(252 speed evs) base 113s; AND 252 speed base 129 mons.

Hits 392 speed after a Rock Polish(252 speed evs) with Jolly nature. Enough to outpace +Speed natured(252 speed evs) 129 base mons; AND 252 speed ev 149 base mons.

It seems fast but it's not outpacing many Scarfers... maybe Emboar? But anything with over 81 speed and a Scarf is going to be faster than even Jolly Rhyperior after a Rock Polish; unlike Tyrantrum who actually outpaces Scarfed Raikou(115 speed) after a Rock Polish.
To be honest, I haven't seen many Scarfers in the current meta. And if you manage to KO their 1-2 scarfs, it just wrecks everything (and seriously, who expects RP Rhyperior when SR / AV is much more common). Also, as I've figured out, always run Jolly on RP Rhyperior, being able to outspeed Raikou and Azelf is waay too good to pass up. Sure, you might miss the 2HKO on Gligar, but its worth it, especially since Azelf and Raikou are much more common than Gligar anyways.

Also, Adventures of Rhyperior, Episode 1: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-107411236

Featuring Rhyperior taking a Cinncino's Bullet Seed to get the clean finish-up.

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
RP Rhyperior is damn scary. There aren't many Scarfers around, and even then, there aren't many that can do a ton to Rhyperior outside of Shaymin and Kyurem. Speaking of Scarfers, I've been using Scarf Moltres lately. Kinda just trying it out on a team I centered around Competitive Milotic and it's been pretty solid. Usually get 3 turns at minimum to do something and so many teams aren't ready for a super fast Hurricane user. Really cool as Moltres can still handle Escavalier to an extent, but also RK some cool shit like Lilligant, Durant, and Raikou:

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Flamethrower​

Maybe not the best set Tres has since it can run LO, SubRoost (Offensive and Defensive) , and Agility, but Scarf certainly has its merits. Fire Blast and Hurricane for STABs and general power. U-turn allows Tres to scout. Great since there's plenty of trapping mons right now. Flamethrower for a reliable cleaning move for when you don't need the power to muscle past some things a little high on health. EVs are standard. Works really well with Raikou in VoltTurn. There's also Magneton and Dugtrio as solid trappers, though Tres will rarely have problems with Steels (unless it needs to sweep with Hurricane)

Also, got a replay of a solid battle I had earlier tonight: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-107422577 - This was a pretty cool match. Raikou really put in some work mid-game by finishing off Escavalier (my opponent's biggest threat to me since Rocks were up) and Delphox (whom Tres can't easily RK) Toward the end, Milotic put in a clutch performance to seal the match. For those wondering, the spread is the same 152 HP / 136 Def / 220 SpA Modest spread in the set I posted a few pages back for Competitive Milotic. And yes, I know having no hazard control with Scarf Moltres is terrible. I was just more or less testing it out on a team with a different goal in mind entirely. It will be replaced at a point.

On the topic of Milotic, SilentVerse and I were talking a bit on irc earlier about Competitive being the better ability no matter the goal of a Milotic set. It kinda seemed strange to me at first since Marvel Scale lets Milo "absorb" status for its team, but that +2 boost can keep defensive Milotic from being easy setup fodder, which can mean all the difference.

As for Tornadus, that thing is kinda disruptive. Considering two of the threats Punchshroom posted are absolute garbage and two others are EXTREMELY situational, that's kinda crazy. And even then, Raikou can't switch in much on physical sets. So, yeah, it is a pretty damn annoying threat to deal with. Something you missed though is Registeel. Another one of the things SV and I were talking about earlier, Registeel just sits there and doesn't give 2 fucks about so many things. It just sits there, tanks out hits, and stosses everything in sight while setting up Rocks as necessary. Sure, you could use a status move, but just using stoss on everything generally works. Use STAB Iron Head if a Mismagius tries to setup on you, but that's about the only time Registeel wants to use something other than stoss to attack. Really underrated defensive mon atm.

Gallade (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak

Just droppin' this gem here. Found it while experimenting around with an open teamslot and it is a perfect fit. AV gallade has some really nice bulk, even when uninvested (Like I do here but I guess you can fiddle with the EV's. Not good with that .-.).
Drain Punch is amazing on any AV 'mon. Psycho Cut is just there for secondary STAB, I didn't know what else to put there n.n Still usefull for fighting types, however. Moving on, Knock Off is just an amazing move, and although I haven't seen lots of Ghost types around, Psychic types run rampant everywhere so Knock Off is a nice way to keep them in check. Lastly, Shadow Sneak is nice priority, letting Gallade finish off weakened things like Raikou and Azelf.
I'm still not sure wheter I should invest more in Sdef and less in HP/ATK but so far it worked out fine for me.

Allright, some calcs against 'mons I use AV Gallade as Counter/Check

Scarf Kyurem
252 SpA Kyurem Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 127-150 (37.3 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Gallade Drain Punch vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 288-338 (71.2 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Raikou
252+ SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 88-105 (25.8 - 30.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Gallade Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 166-196 (51.5 - 60.8%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Probably some others but I can't think of any right now .-.

Last edited:

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Damn some massive set dumping went on tonight. Now it looks like I'm just copying everybody :( but really I wanna bring up Crosteel and his partner in crime

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SDef / 252 HP
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Iron Head

Meet the most well-designed sprite in the history of Trollfreak. This fat tub of metal lard is literally taunting how it won't die. Crosteel is nothing new, as it was invented back in DPPt UU as a means to set up on the wearing down and WoW commonly thrown around in an attempt to neuter Registeel. This meta is similar to that, with hail, Shaymin, and Kyurem being added into mix, all threats for which Crosteel is a cold hard stop. None of those threats can't even break through Registeel with SpDef drops from Seed Flare and Earth Power respectively, as Clear Body shines (get it?) against these two attacks, and almost completely eliminates hax as a threat. However, Registeel still fails to powerful physical Ground-, and Fighting-types, as well as Escavalier's high-crit Drill Run.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock/Taunt

In comes Gligar, being an absolute hard counter to Escavalier, Rhyperior, and Hitmonlee, three of the biggest physical powerhouses of the tier, all of which pose a threat to Crosteel. While it is annoying that both Escavalier and Hitmonlee can knock off Gligar's Eviolite, due to its history as a once-fully-evolved 'mon, even an itemless Gligar still has a fantastic physically defensive stat spread. Gligar getting Defog is cool and all, but I'm not too fond of running it in this meta, as it is stupidly good at spreading Toxic, with all Poisons and Steels being hit by Earthquake except Bronzong, Golbat, Weezing and other Gligar. Speaking of which, Defog also forfeits Immunity, which is worse for Gligar than most mons, as it aims to stall really slowly. Gligar also has no answer to Competitive Milotic, who is on the rise, so altogether, it has no business even attempting to clear hazards. While my team personally runs Stealth Rock, Taunt also has a good place on Gligar, as its inability to be hit by Toxic (Spikes) gives it some stallbreaking power. Gligar is stupidly weak to Kyurem, Hail, and Shaymin, all of which Crosteel craps on.

Aromatisse is thrown on the team because both of them get thrashed by Sableye, which is good for Aromatisse as thanks to her Fairy-typing along with Aromatherapy and Aroma Veil, Aromatisse is literally the best Sableye counter in the entire game.

Here's a good replay I have of the core in work. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-107443594
I really enjoy playing this tier. Think I might be sticking around for a couple of rounds :)

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell

Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak

Just droppin' this gem here. Found it while experimenting around with an open teamslot and it is a perfect fit. AV gallade has some really nice bulk, even when uninvested (Like I do here but I guess you can fiddle with the EV's. Not good with that .-.).
Drain Punch is amazing on any AV 'mon. Psycho Cut is just there for secondary STAB, I didn't know what else to put there n.n Still usefull for fighting types, however. Moving on, Knock Off is just an amazing move, and although I haven't seen lots of Ghost types around, Psychic types run rampant everywhere so Knock Off is a nice way to keep them in check. Lastly, Shadow Sneak is nice priority, letting Gallade finish off weakened things like Raikou and Azelf.
I'm still not sure wheter I should invest more in Sdef and less in HP/ATK but so far it worked out fine for me.

Scarf Kyurem
220+ SpA Kyurem Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 135-160 (39.7 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Gallade Drain Punch vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 288-338 (71.2 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Raikou
252+ SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 88-105 (25.8 - 30.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Gallade Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 166-196 (51.5 - 60.8%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Shadow Sneak is hilariously weak. I use Close Combat in the last slot to get off some damage if Gallade is going down and Drain Punch cant save it. It's pretty strong.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Damn some massive set dumping went on tonight. Now it looks like I'm just copying everybody :( but really I wanna bring up Crosteel and his partner in crime

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SDef / 252 HP
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Iron Head

Meet the most well-designed sprite in the history of Trollfreak. This fat tub of metal lard is literally taunting how it won't die. Crosteel is nothing new, as it was invented back in DPPt UU as a means to set up on the wearing down and WoW commonly thrown around in an attempt to neuter Registeel. This meta is similar to that, with hail, Shaymin, and Kyurem being added into mix, all threats for which Crosteel is a cold hard stop. None of those threats can't even break through Registeel with SpDef drops from Seed Flare and Earth Power respectively, as Clear Body shines (get it?) against these two attacks, and almost completely eliminates hax as a threat. However, Registeel still fails to powerful physical Ground-, and Fighting-types, as well as Escavalier's high-crit Drill Run.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock/Taunt

In comes Gligar, being an absolute hard counter to Escavalier, Rhyperior, and Hitmonlee, three of the biggest physical powerhouses of the tier, all of which pose a threat to Crosteel. While it is annoying that both Escavalier and Hitmonlee can knock off Gligar's Eviolite, due to its history as a once-fully-evolved 'mon, even an itemless Gligar still has a fantastic physically defensive stat spread. Gligar getting Defog is cool and all, but I'm not too fond of running it in this meta, as it is stupidly good at spreading Toxic, with all Poisons and Steels being hit by Earthquake except Bronzong, Golbat, Weezing and other Gligar. Speaking of which, Defog also forfeits Immunity, which is worse for Gligar than most mons, as it aims to stall really slowly. Gligar also has no answer to Competitive Milotic, who is on the rise, so altogether, it has no business even attempting to clear hazards. While my team personally runs Stealth Rock, Taunt also has a good place on Gligar, as its inability to be hit by Toxic (Spikes) gives it some stallbreaking power. Gligar is stupidly weak to Kyurem, Hail, and Shaymin, all of which Crosteel craps on.

Aromatisse is thrown on the team because both of them get thrashed by Sableye, which is good for Aromatisse as thanks to her Fairy-typing along with Aromatherapy and Aroma Veil, Aromatisse is literally the best Sableye counter in the entire game.

Here's a good replay I have of the core in work. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-107443594
I really enjoy playing this tier. Think I might be sticking around for a couple of rounds :)
I wouldn't really be switching gligar into escavalier and hitmonlee too freely because those guys are known to spam knock off early game before they start using their powerful moves, and gligar likes its eviolite a lot, and would like to hold onto it. This guy is a great check to rhyperior until the RP variants start carrying Ice Punch tho.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Ok, so here are two very fun and interesting sets I recommend you guys give a try!

@
(Weakness Policy)
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

This set is fucking amazing:
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 177-208 (52.9 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Escavalier: 528-624 (153.4 - 181.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Dusclops: 153-180 (53.8 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 328-387 (77.3 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Milotic: 316-373 (80.2 - 94.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 350-414 (88.8 - 105%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 240-283 (54 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 211-250 (69.4 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 248-292 (73.3 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Rhyperior Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 228-268 (64.4 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 153-180 (38.8 - 45.6%) -- 15.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, 1 layer of Spikes, and Leftovers recovery
Ok, now the explanation of this set! After just one Rock Polish, you reach 358 Speed, or base 113 Speed. And your Attack sky rockets to 832, higher than Mega Mawile's. It gets STAB EdgeQuake, which is simply amazing. Fire Punch just compliments it for the rare Bronzong and to hit bulkier Grass-types. But even the most bulky things still fall to Rhyperior's might. And Rhyperior has astounding bulk, here's a calc I like:
252+ Atk Escavalier Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 177-208 (47.7 - 56%) -- 79.3% chance to 2HKO
However, don't keep it in on Water / Grass-type Pokemon before the boost, as you most likely will be OHKOed anyways. This set has quickly become my favorite in RU, I hope you guys try it!

To write; Pawniard ;]
Dude just pointing out you made calcs that had +2 attack stats, but you have no +2 attack stat boosting move. The rest looks good though.

EDIT: I noticed you have the weakness policy. Sorry man.

Something I've been using recently is Scarf Kyurem:

Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast

The cool thing about this set is it outruns +1 Modest Yanmega and at least ties with +1 Timid Yanmega.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I've been using this Gallade for a bit in RU and I'm very impressed:

Gallade (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 44 Spd / 216 HP / 248 SDef
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
The premise is simple although sometimes it's easier said than done: Come into something that Gallade can force outor absorb the special hit, then set up. Gallade is very bullky from special side and that really helps. Drain Punch is for longevity and Knock Off is not only an amazing crippler but also lets you beat Cress (Moonblast only hurts if CM, Psyshock too) and other Ghost- and Psychic-types, although Psycho Cut can be used if Fairies and Poisons are troublesome. Speaking of the latter, they're excellent set-up fodder for Gallade since they expect the Psycho Cut/Zen Headbutt and switch out, a perfect time to set up. The EV spread is for outspeeding uninvested base 85 such as Gligar and Cresselia while retaining the bulk to be only 3HKO at max by SubRoost Brokyurem and 2HKO back with Drain Punch (the freeze is a bitch though). Sableye is an annoying bastard but you can pair Gallade with something like Moltres or Shaymin to absorb the burn and retaliate back. I definitely recommend this set, since with the right support it can 6-0 a team.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Has anyone used Cofagrigus as a Toxic Spikes user yet? The problem is that it can't learn that + Pain Split :/ I have to settle with Rest, but I don't know how well that will turn out to be.

Shadow Sneak is hilariously weak. I use Close Combat in the last slot to get off some damage if Gallade is going down and Drain Punch cant save it. It's pretty strong.
I've found power up punch to be fairly useful on assault vest sets. It isn't strong but that attack boost works nicely with drain punch.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.

Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak

Scarf Kyurem
220+ SpA Kyurem Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 135-160 (39.7 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Raikou

Scarf Kyurem runs 252 EVs, js

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I wouldn't really be switching gligar into escavalier and hitmonlee too freely because those guys are known to spam knock off early game before they start using their powerful moves, and gligar likes its eviolite a lot, and would like to hold onto it. This guy is a great check to rhyperior until the RP variants start carrying Ice Punch tho.
Everything likes its items, even Lefties mons. As shown, Gligar still does work without its item. Really, what doesn't mind taking Lee's and Esca's Knock Off?

And this isn't last gen UU. Rhyperior is going to have a more difficult time running Ice Punch when it wants Megahorn for Slowking/Tangrowth/Shaymin/Cress/Uxie (aka why there's a Slowking on my team)

Last edited:
I really like AV Electivire. I initially decided to use it as a check (counter?) to Raikou, but it turns out that it's helpful in plenty of other ways, too.

Electivire @ Assault Vest
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

Since it's Electivire and it needs as much power as it can get, it has an Adamant Nature. It's not really meant to sweep, anyway, but it typically ends up taking out one or two things a match. Wild Charge is the main STAB move, and while recoil sucks, it enjoys the power. Earthquake takes out other Electric types which Electivire enjoys switching into, Fire Punch hits Escavalier and Ice Punch bops Gligar (and both of those nail Grass types). Cross Chop is a possible move choice, although I don't know what it would hit. You could also go mixed with Flamethrower/Thunderbolt if you wanted. While I can't say the same for the rest of my team, I feel that this set is really good and pulls its weight.

I really like AV Electivire. I initially decided to use it as a check (counter?) to Raikou, but it turns out that it's helpful in plenty of other ways, too.

Electivire @ Assault Vest
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

Since it's Electivire and it needs as much power as it can get, it has an Adamant Nature. It's not really meant to sweep, anyway, but it typically ends up taking out one or two things a match. Wild Charge is the main STAB move, and while recoil sucks, it enjoys the power. Earthquake takes out other Electric types which Electivire enjoys switching into, Fire Punch hits Escavalier and Ice Punch bops Gligar (and both of those nail Grass types). Cross Chop is a possible move choice, although I don't know what it would hit. You could also go mixed with Flamethrower/Thunderbolt if you wanted. While I can't say the same for the rest of my team, I feel that this set is really good and pulls its weight.
Why have AV, sounds like you want a wall breaker so why not go with Expert Belt or Life Orb instead?

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Everything likes its items, even Lefties mons. As shown, Gligar still does work without its item. Really, what doesn't mind taking Lee's and Esca's Knock Off?

And this isn't last gen UU. Rhyperior is going to have a more difficult time running Ice Punch when it wants Megahorn for Slowking/Tangrowth/Shaymin/Cress/Uxie (aka why there's a Slowking on my team)
In a way, you're right about nothing really liking losing its item, but if a pokemon with reliable recovery loses its leftovers it's not as much of a problem compared to losing a 1.5 boost to both your defenses.
Yes, nothing likes losing its item, that's common sense. But gligar really, REALLY, hates losing eviolite.
As for what doesn't mind taking Lee's and Esca's knock off, slurpuff can come in for a free unburden boost on Lee, but won't like getting past esca without flamethrower. This is irrelevant to the argument either way.

I get why you'd want Megahorn over Ice Punch on rhyperior, but think of it like this:
Why is thunderpunch a valid option on Mega Charizard-X? It's used, more or less, solely to get past azumarill, one of its greatest checks.
Likewise, though megahorn is the better option for WP rhyperior, Ice Punch could definitely be used to blow past gligar, which is one of rhyperior's greatest checks, and I doubt gligar is really gonna get banned or anything, so gligar is definitely gonna establish itself as a strong check to the big ass threat WP rhyperior is. Who knows, maybe your team can easily handle Slowking/Tangrowth/Shaymin/Cress/Uxie and would like gligar gone instead.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Has anyone used Cofagrigus as a Toxic Spikes user yet? The problem is that it can't learn that + Pain Split :/ I have to settle with Rest, but I don't know how well that will turn out to be.
I can confirm that it works very well, actually, as long as you provide a durable cleric (Togetic, Aromatisse, Shaymin, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)