Novel: The Ruby and the Sapphire, Ch.1

The following is the first chapter of the new novel I am writing. Though it is largely based on and set in the Hoenn region, I have chosen to change pokemon to being animals for copyright reasons. I have played the storyline of Pokemon Ruby over and over for years, and each time laugh at plot holes- what is with being delived in the back of a truck? This, and the Truman show have been my main inspiration. The story may be fiction, but nonetheless aims to communicate mistreatment of animals; how we capture them, leave them in poor health, collect them. Perhaps if animals could talk like Meowth does in the animae, we would not treat them so inhuman.

The Ruby and the Sapphire

Ch.1: Animal Island

A stage light flickered on. The cameraman announced: ”we’re rolling” and Professor Birch began,

“Hi! Sorry to keep you waiting! Welcome to the world of animals. My name is Birch, but everyone calls me the animal Professor. This is what we call an animal:” Birch gestured to the lily-pad frog at his feet. “This world is widely inhabited by creatures known as animals. We humans live alongside animals, at times as friendly playmates, and at times as cooperative workmates. And sometimes, we band together and battle others like us. But despite our closeness, we don’t know everything about animals. In fact, there are many, many, secrets surrounding animals. To unravel animal mysteries, I’ve been undertaking research. That’s what I do.

*​

Icy water was splashed at my face. I let out a muffled cry from within the bag that covered my head. My hands instinctively flexed, but were restrained by the rope that held me to a chair.

“Are you a boy or a girl!” Roared a voice.

“A- a boy. I said with trembling lips.”

“What is your name,” the voice yelled.

“Peter, my name is – “ a metal pipe was hit at my temple knocking me out. The last thing I remembered were the distant sounds of a truck being driven.

*​

The moment I regained consciousness, the truck stopped. With darting eyes, I paced the pan looking for a weapon to defend myself with. Before I could find anything of use, the truck doors opened. Outside was sunny. Though I hesitated at first, I realised I better leave the truck instead of waiting to be dragged out. I shielded my eyes from the sun as a woman spoke.

“Hi Landon, I’m your mum.” She invited me inside and asked me to check out my bedroom. It was small and cosy. I stared at the solitary bed and just as I was about to ask why there were not two, I was called downstairs. Your dad is on tv, mum exclaimed. I ran downstairs but missed him. “Don’t worry, you’ll see him soon.” Anxious to see the new neighbourhood I had been dropped in, I excused myself to visit outdoors.

There were few houses- much the same style and size as mine. I wondered to the single path that led into the town and met a boy standing there. “Be careful,” he warned me. There are crazy-scary animals out there. I brushed off his concern and set off into the tall grass. It was hard to find my way as the grass grew to head height, but I pushed on despite it. Just as I began to feel lost, I heard a snarl from behind me. A black dog stood there, baring its teeth. It followed me as I slowly backed away. Suddenly, I tripped and the dog ran at me, going in for the kill. I scrambled to my feet and fled. The dog was at my heels. It bit at me, missing by mere inches. I could feel its saliva flicking at the back of calves. It made another attempt, but this time I managed to jump and grab a overhanging branch. I scurried up the tree staying well out of reach of the dog. It left just as my racing heart began to slow.

“That was a close one,” I looked for the voice but found nothing. Turning my head back, I noticed a three-foot-tall lizard that lounged on the tree branch, moving a twig in its mouth.

I was so startled I nearly fell off the branch. The lizard could see I was uncomfortable and tried to hide his frustration. “Yes, I’m a talking lizard. How many fucking times do I have to go through this. Look kid, you’re a test subject. Number three-thousand-four-hundred-and-nighty-one to be precise.”

“A test subject?” I repeated with uncertainty in my voice.

“Yes. And you’ll be replaced as soon as you either fail or complete your tasks. That’s why I’m here to help. These criminals are marketing this land- animal island- as a safari. People are hunting us, or taking the cute ones home as pets. People have been hunting us so long that the animals began to turn on them. Sales dropped after customers were attacked by black-dogs- an animal that used to be docile. So, they changed the game. They still want people to come here for the animal island safari experience, but needed to protect them. That’s where I come in. Hidden away in the forest is a farm for us starters. We’re meant to protect you from the animals, but the animals are getting to strong. Most of the time, our owners don’t look after us. They leave us with the injuries attacking animals give us. Sometimes we faint and aren’t revived for days. I know you’re just a kid who’s been brainwashed into thinking his name is Landon, but you’re my only help. We need to sneak about the island and stop the evil organisation that started it all. And there is only one way to do that, through the help of the sky-dragon. He’s hid from us for so long, but one day he’ll come back and save us.”

I did not know what to say- it was too much to take in. Although, it turned out the lizard was not waiting for a response. He walked along tree branches like a dancer while I chased after him clumsily. “What’s you’re name? I asked. The lizard stopped and let out a sigh. "You can give me whatever stupid nickname you can come up with, I’ve heard them all by now."

“Nickname? No you’re name, what’s your real name?”

“My real name?” He seemed shocked, “no one has ever asked me that. Well, if you really want to know, my name is Steve.” I approached Steve and went to shake his hand but stopped when I realised how silly it would look.

“My name is Peter, I said.”

“What!” exclaimed Steve. You remembered your name? That’s the first time that’s ever happened. Quickly, tell me something else you remember.

“I remember a truck, and being tied in a chair, everything else is blurry.”

“That’s a start, we can go to the Rememberer later. But we'll have to find some Love Scales first”

Steve and I continued walking along the trees. Steve said it was the only safe way to travel and after my encounter with the black-dog, I was convinced. I tried to start conversation, but without success. I figured every conversation starter had already been used on Steve. He must’ve have explained why he can talk countless times, so I decided to just accept it. I was already doing a lot of accepting about my absurd new situation I discovered myself in. Hopefully soon, I’ll do some remembering, when we meet the Rememberer. Nothing sounded special about my subject number, yet I still felt like the chosen one. The one which will end this conspiracy and show the people of the world what actually happens on animal island.

Scott leant back in his throne-like chair resting a lemonade on his inflated belly. As he sipped at it from a straw, he noticed that the new subject had not made it to Norman yet. May called Scott on his walkie-talkie.

“Where is he!” demanded Scott.

“We can’t find him,” replied May, “I think one of the rogue starters found him, now they’re hiding.”

“Well then which starter is hiding him?”

“It could be any of them, more keep escaping.”

“So much for narrowing his location down,” grunted Scott, “I had to make it three starters, didn’t I? I couldn’t have just decided on one simple ground dwelling animal. No, it had to be these smart-ass, escape artists.” Scott slammed his fist on a red button on his desk.”

“Yes sir?” spoke a voice from a speaker.

“Send in all the actors. I want people standing everywhere. I don’t care if they have to tred water for the next twenty days, we need to find this test subject. He may not be smart enough to get off this island, but these rogue starters soon will be.

Eventually, we approached the outskirts of the next town. People stood on road either motionlessly staring in one direction and twisting on their heels in right angles, scanning the area.

“Don’t make eye contact with any of those actors or they’ll ask to battle you. I’ve had enough of being bitten by dogs and swooped by birds.”

We left the actors and hid back in the forest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)