No Ifs, Ands, or Buzz

In the Defog thread in Uncharted Territory, there was a debate on whether Mandibuzz should be using Knock Off or Foul Play as his offensive move. I decided to build a team around him to take advantage of the Knock Off buff and it's general utility, specifically as a stall breaking move.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Red Card
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Toxic

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Horn Leech
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 40 Def / 224 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Ball

The first iteration of the team. I wanted to try out Talonflame and Gliscor had already proved himself a powerfall stall pokemon. I added Trevenant because he is great for stall and Rotom-Wash to counter Talonflame as well as a ton of other OU threats. There wasn't much rhyme or reason to these 5 other than being interesting or personal favorites. I picked Lucario because of typing synergy; I needed something that resisted dragon, fairy, and ice because the rest of my team is very weak to it. This team couldn't handle a lot of big threats.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Red Card
Calm Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Toxic

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Horn Leech
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Ball

Talonflame wasn't working well with this team. Lucario couldn't handle being the only steel type to take hits, I was having trouble with rock attacks, and Heatran offered stealth rocks that I really wanted. Heatran also gave me another resistance to dragon, ice, and fairy that I desperately needed.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Red Card
Calm Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Toxic

Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Horn Leech
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Lucario was replaced with Mawile. Mega Mawile is bulkier than Mega Lucario and can do more damage. The lack of direction was pretty clear - this team can stay alive for a while, but doesn't have the power to win a lot of games.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Red Card
Ability: Overcoat
Calm Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Defog

Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Roost
- U-turn

This was the biggest change. I switched out Mawile for Scizor. Although I didn't want to lose that dragon immunity, regular Scizor has a much easier time switching in than Mawile does. It also has roost and a more reliable priority.

Trevenant was replaced with Mamoswine. I'm running a semi-stall team, not full stall; Trevenant wasn't bringing enough power or utility to really make him worth the slot. Mamoswine helps break through some tough walls like Gliscor and Breloom and a large number of dragons.

Additionally, Mandibuzz now has a useful ability instead of Big Pecks. I also switched out Toxic for Defog because Gliscor made it redundant.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Red Card
Calm Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Defog

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect

Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Roost
- U-turn

This team works great as semi-stall. Mandibuzz, Rotom-Wash, Gliscor, and Scizor all have reliable recovery. Mandibuzz is what gives it an edge over other semi-stall and full stall teams. Knock Off received a huge buff, and although Mandibuzz has a terrible attack stat, he is a great user of the move.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Red Card
Calm Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Defog

Mandibuzz is surprisingly bulky. 110/105/95 Defenses are great, and this set just makes him bulkier. Roost lets him stall effectively. If the opponent is poisoned or burned and can't recover, unless they cans set up they usually can't take him down if he roost spams. I use whirlwind when I need to phaze something like substitute Gliscor or a setup sweeper, or when I want to get another target for knock off. I need to predict well, however, because if they attack and get switched out from red card, I miss a good opportunity. Defog is great when the opponent puts down a lot of hazards on my side, but most of my team doesn't care about hazards. I was originally running toxic in this slot, but since Gliscor is also running it I changed it. Kinda funny that I got the idea from the Defog threat but didn't include it in my original build. Overcoat is useful for blocking spore, among other things.

Offensively he only has knock off, but it's all he needs to make an impact. If you can get him in safely or lead with him, he can easily cripple half of your opponent's team. It usually goes something like this:

Turn 1: Mandibuzz uses Knock Off, opponent sets up hazards and loses item.
Turn 2: If they're setting up spikes, I use whirlwind, but usually they've got stealth rocks up and want to switch out. Mandibuzz hits the next Pokemon with Knock Off and they lost their item as well.
Turn 3: The opponent catches on, and decides to attack you with their itemless Pokemon. Mandibuzz takes the hit, the opponent gets switched out with red card, and because Mandibuzz is usually slower it nails a third Pokemon with knock off.

I have two replays that show off how useful Mandibuzz can be. In the first battle, he manages to knock off three Pokemon's items -including Gliscor's poison orb before it activates - and KO a Gengar.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-62786995

The second battle is against a stall team. Boy, oh boy does Mandibuzz deliver in this game. I won't expect you to watch all 90 turns; it was a long game, but I prevailed only because Mandibuzz knocked leftovers off of three pokemon (Togekiss, Umbreon, and Cresselia), Black sludge off of Tentacruel, and Poison Orb off of Breloom.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-62837339

I don't always lead with Mandibuzz, but whenever I do he manages to knock off at least two items, and often more. Even bringing him in later has it's uses; I've used him to phaze a setup sweeper who isn't expecting a red card, to stall for poison/burn damage, and as a defensive pivot.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon

Heatran patches up some holes in my defenses, but his real value comes from his powerful fire attacks and from setting up stealth rocks. Mandibuzz likes to phaze and stealth rock adds some damage to that. A lot of my strategy is based on forcing switches. Flash Fire is great - I once sent out my Scizor against a Rotom-Wash to bait a Will-o-Wisp and switched to Heatran for the attack boost.

Earth power comes in handy against poisons and other Heatran. I'm running Flash Cannon for fairies, but I haven't used it too much except to pop another Heatran's balloon. EVs are for offenses - I can usually force a switch with air balloon and flash fire as well as the threat of his attacks. Air Balloon lets him check things like Mold Breaker Excadrill that threaten my team. I was running leftovers and protect, but I've found he works better offensively on this team. I can't afford to run too many defensive Pokemon or I won't have the power to break down walls.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Along with Heatran, this guy puts a stop to Talonflame. I picked him for his great typing that works with the rest of the team, his access to volt switch, his bulk, and his ability. This is a pretty standard set that's been going around - in B/W, it was more common for Rotom-Wash to run special defense EVs. Lately, a defensive variant is getting popular because it counters Talonflame better and special attacks got a nerf.

I'm digging Will-O-Wisp because there are a lot of physical threats in the metagame. Rotom-Wash can usually tank a hit and burn in return. Pain Split is great against stall teams, especially Chansey and Blissey. It's fun letting your opponent do the healing for you. Rotom-Wash usually acts as a pivot to another Pokemon because of his resistances and Volt Switch. I'm runing leftovers because he's in and out a lot - he doesn't usually have time to use pain split and appreciates the recovery, and he hates running a choice item when a ground type comes out. This guy is a valuable member of my team and is usually my lead, if only for volt switch. He also has the option to burn incoming sweepers who hate burn, effectively shutting them down.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Superpower

This is my wall breaker. I was having trouble with Gliscor and Breloom substitute variants so I was originally running Icicle Spear, but switched it out for the more reliable Icicle Crash. I figured that I'd break the sub on one turn then out speed them with Ice Shard. Earthquake is a great option as always.

I'm running Superpower over Stone Edge because I like the accuracy and I don't have any fighting coverage in the rest of my team. He's running max speed to outrun Breloom and Gliscor running SubToxic, like mine. He needs the damage from Life Orb to make up for it, and as a result he doesn't have a lot of longevity. I often need to save him for good opportunities, or I risk losing him too early.

Thick fat lets him take ice and fire attacks, although I usually let Heatran take them. He threatens most fire and ice types with STAB Earthquake or Superpower, so it lets him check them and can even force switches.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect

There's a lot things that this Gliscor set can't touch, but isn't that what team mates are for? In return, there's plenty that can't hurt him. 224 Spd outruns Max Breloom. The purpose of this set is to stall, poison things, stall, tank hits, stall, and force switches. Gliscor can also tank status, but only after he's had a chance to poison himself. Earthquake can't hit everything, but it does a good amount of damage to everything it can hit and prevents things like Excadrill and Scizor from setting up on him.

This guy becomes more and more valuable as the game runs on because it gets harder to take him down as sweepers take damage. I've also sent him in to poison something that wants to set up to put them on a time limit. He usually survives until the end of the game because he has great recovery and stats.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Roost
- U-turn

Scizor is already bulky, and his Mega evolution is even bulkier. I'm using roost and a bulky attacker set because I want him to switch in on something he resists, hit back hard, and get out. Bullet Punch for a great priority, Roost for recovery, and U-turn for keeping momentum. Pursuit is for trapping things. I tried a few Megas in this spot, but Scizor works the best. Unlike other steel type Megas, he can switch in before he mega evolves.

Overall, the team handles a lot of threats very well. I would describe it as semi-stall because I don't have a dedicated sweeper, but I do have Pokemon capable of breaking walls. I don't rely on hazards, but appreciate residual damage from status and hazards.

• Entry Hazards - Only Mandibuzz is weak to stealth rock. Everyone else is neutral. Spikes doesn't hit half my team and Heatran avoids it until he loses his balloon. Poison spikes is laughable; only Mamoswine can get poisoned by it.
  • Status - Rotom-Wash can take paralysis and doesn't mind burn or poison. I have two steel types that can't be poisoned and Heatran likes it when it gets hit with burn. Gliscor can block status after it gets poisoned. Mandibuzz laughs at powder moves like Spore. However, Scizor and Mamoswine hate being hit with paralysis and burn - it makes them a lot less useful, and I don't have a way to get rid of it.
  • Baton Pass - Mandibuzz can phaze with whirlwind, but they can't be allowed to get ingrain up first.
  • Stall - Mandibuzz loves stall because they don't threaten him and he can get rid of the items they love to abuse. The rest of my team can survive for a long time and slowly wear down the Pokemon that don't have recovery outside of their items.
  • Special Attacks - Although I don't have a dedicated special wall, Mandibuzz can usually tank special attacks and get rid of their item. I haven't had any trouble with special sweepers because Mamoswine and Scizor have priority attacks that really hurt.
  • Physical Attacks - Rotom-Wash and Gliscor are physically defensive, but if they get taken out there's nothing that can stop them. Mega Kangaskhan in particular is brutal, and my team doesn't have a good way to handle it. In this game, I managed to get a 4-2 advantage, but Mega Khan still wrecked me: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-62970236
  • Setup Sweepers - If Mandibuzz is low on health, there's nothing I can do. Red Card doesn't activate if he dies, he's slow, and whirlwind has negative priority.

I included a section on how the team was developed because I'd like some advice on building a proper team - I don't think I went about this the right way and would appreciate some guidance on how to build a strong team in the future. This team is good, but only ~1800s good and has some weaknesses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)