ORAS PU No Clever Name

This is my second PU team and I am very new to the PU metagame. Some of the sets are a bit weird, but trust me, they work in practice.

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Attack/ 4 Special Defense/ 252 Speed
Adamant Nature
-Dragon Claw
-Dragon Dance
-Aqua Tail
-X-Scissor

I chose to build a team with Fraxure because of it sweeping potential. Eviolite is the item of choice because it gives Fraxure added bulk, allowing it to be able to set up more. An Adamant nature is used to increase Fraxure's power. Mold Breaker is used because it can bypass abilities such as Sturdy. Dragon Claw is a decently powerful STAB move that hits other Dragon types for super-effective damage. Remember when I said Mold Breaker was great for bypassing Sturdy? Aqua Tail is able to OHKO Golem through sturdy, an otherwise massive threat to my team, gone before it could even set up rocks. X-Scissor provides coverage on Grass Types and OHKOs Cacturne and hits Grumpig for super-effective damage.

Regice @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Special Attack/ 4 Special Defense/ 252 Speed
Modest Nature
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Focus Blast
-Rock Polish

Regice has excellent synergy with Fraxure, breaking down each other's checks till one of them can sweep. Life Orb along with a Modest nature and maximum Special Attack EVs let Regice hit as hard as possible. Ice Beam is a powerful STAB move that breaks down Grass Types. Thunderbolt hit the Water Types that resist Ice Beam. Focus Blast hits other Ice Types and Steel types that resist ice such as Probopass and opposing Regice. Rock Polish with maximum speed allow Regice to outspeed most of the tier after it sets up.

Mawile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 Health/ 136 Attack/ 4 Special Defense/ 124 Speed
Adamant Nature
-Iron Head
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Knock Off

I know what you're thinking "What the Hell is this Mawile set?!?" Please let me explain it. I wanted to have a Pokémon that could pass Substitutes to my sweepers so that setting up is safer. I tried out Floatzel and Dodrio to fill this role, but they did not work as well as Mawile does. Leftovers is used for passive recovery. Intimidate helps to force more switches than Sheer Force. The Attack EVs make sure that 248 Health Regice 2HKO'ed with Iron Head. The speed EVs allow Mawile to outspeed 0 speed Roselia. The 244 of the Remaining EVs were put into Health with 4 in Special Defense to help with rocks. Knock Off is just a great move overall and helps remove the Eviolite of Pokémon such as Roselia.

Stunfisk @ Passho Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 Health/ 252 Defense/ 8 Speed
Bold Nature
-Earth Power
-Discharge
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic

I chose Stunfisk to be on my team because I need a Stealth Rock user as well as a Monferno counter. Passho berry helps against Floatzel, who is a major threat. Static is nice to paralyze physical attackers, slowing them down for the rest of the team. 248 Health and 252 Defense EVs are used to make Stunfisk as bulk as possible. The Leftover EVs are placed in Speed to outspeed other Stunfisk. Earth Power hits Fire Types, such as Monferno, super-effectively. Discharge hits Water-Types and has a good chance to paralyze something. Stealth Rock gets chip damage on things and helps break Sturdy and Sashes. Toxic helps wear down potential switch-ins like Tangela.

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 Health/ 8 Defense/ 252 Special Defense
Careful Nature
-Foul Play
-Roost
-Defog
-U-turn

I chose Vullaby to be on my team because of its overall bulk and access to Defog, not to mention it pairs nicely with Stunfisk. Eviolite makes Vullaby as bulky as it is. Overcoat allows it to switch into moves like Sleep Powder without falling asleep. The EVs with a Careful Nature makes Vullaby adds to its special bulk. Foul Play is used to hit Physical attackers because of Vullaby's poor attack. Roost provides reliable recovery. Defog clears away hazards. And U-turn gives safe switches to its teammates.

Dodrio @ Life Orb (0 Happiness)
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Attack/ 4 Defense/ 252 Speed
Jolly Nature
-Frustration
-Drill Peck
-Toxic
-Quick Attack

I chose Dodrio to be on my team (not as a Subpasser) to a good Wallbreaker/ Revenge Killer. Life Orb is used with maximum attack to hit as hard as possible with a Jolly nature. Max Speed with a Jolly nature is to speed tie with other +Speed base 100's while outspeeding Pokémon with a neutral speed nature. Early Bird is Dodrio's most (only) useful ability. Frustration is a powerful STAB move that breaks some Flying resists/neutrality and screws over Ditto. Drill Peck is a STAB move that helps break down Grass and Fighting types and does not wear it down as much as Brave Bird. Toxic hit the walls that Dodrio can't break such as Vullaby. Quick Attack helps revenge kill weakened Pokémon.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, nice team!

The moves on Fraxure are quite redundant, as x-scissor doesn't allow you to hit anything you otherwise couldn't, so I think you should use Superpower over X-scissor in order to do more damage to Steel-types like Metang and Mawile, which also annoy Regice. Additionally, you should try Taunt over Aqua Tail to provide set up opportunities and stop pokemon like Gourgeist from burning you. Additionally, a Jolly nature is required to outspeed common Pokemon like Zebstrika and Floatzel at +1 speed . Although you liked Aqua Tail for Golem, Aqua tail doesn't always OHKO with jolly nature, and a later suggestion will help you with it.

The team is quite slow and doesn't have much priority, so I think you should run Choice Scarf Leafeon over Dodrio. Leafeon not only helps you check Golem, but also allows you to revenge kill threats like Choice Scarf Rotom-F and Shell Smash Huntail, and gives you a Water resist to help play around Water-types.

I really like the idea of your Mawile set, though I think the EVs could be improved, as the extra power isn't too huge, especially now you have superpower Fraxure to help check Regice, but more bulk would be crucial. So i think you should just run 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 Spe but still with Adamant nature to still have good power.

Fraxure @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Taunt

Leafeon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Double Edge

Mawile @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Iron Head
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Knock Off

Hope I Helped!

Hi, nice team!

The moves on Fraxure are quite redundant, as x-scissor doesn't allow you to hit anything you otherwise couldn't, so I think you should use Superpower over X-scissor in order to do more damage to Steel-types like Metang and Mawile, which also annoy Regice. Additionally, you should try Taunt over Aqua Tail to provide set up opportunities and stop pokemon like Gourgeist from burning you. Additionally, a Jolly nature is required to outspeed common Pokemon like Zebstrika and Floatzel at +1 speed . Although you liked Aqua Tail for Golem, Aqua tail doesn't always OHKO with jolly nature, and a later suggestion will help you with it.

The team is quite slow and doesn't have much priority, so I think you should run Choice Scarf Leafeon over Dodrio. Leafeon not only helps you check Golem, but also allows you to revenge kill threats like Choice Scarf Rotom-F and Shell Smash Huntail, and gives you a Water resist to help play around Water-types.

I really like the idea of your Mawile set, though I think the EVs could be improved, as the extra power isn't too huge, especially now you have superpower Fraxure to help check Regice, but more bulk would be crucial. So i think you should just run 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 Spe but still with Adamant nature to still have good power.

Fraxure @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Taunt

Leafeon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Double Edge

Mawile @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Iron Head
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Knock Off

Hope I Helped!
Thanks Anty for your rate, it really did help! Do you think that replacing Vullaby with Pelipper would help the team with Monferno? Thank you for not making fun of me for my Mawile set.

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks Anty for your rate, it really did help! Do you think that replacing Vullaby with Pelipper would help the team with Monferno? Thank you for not making fun of me for my Mawile set.
You've got two really solid Ferno checks in Fisk and Vullaby, so I don't feel like changing to Pelipper will help your team much Monferno-wise. Just my two cents.

Hope this helps a bit, sorry i can't do an actual rate rn :(

E: when monferno comes in the first time, hard into Fisk. At that point you can scout his set. If he's AoA vullaby beats it easily. If it's SD, keep Fisk healthy and you should be fine.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)