Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so making my unit a Myrmidon/Swordmaster in that game, add in a bit of extra Str and they can plow through anything...if it's an option anyways.

Some new games for this really look great but Im leaning towards just getting a Wii U when it comes because it looks as though some games will come out for both platforms, imo.

The length? 12 hours is average for a Castlevania game and pretty decent in general. I'm not sure what the problem is......

Though this made me smile: http://nintendo3dsblog.com/nintendo-is-thinking-about-the-successor-to-the-3ds/
It's looking now that there won't be a redesign of the 3DS. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Emblem:_Awakening

Sounds like there's some downloadable content... hope the content comes to the US. Going to be awesome.
<-Why yes there is. Nintendo would be throwing away money to not localize the DLC, because most of the people who would be willing to buy a new Fire Emblem are hardcore fans who nerdgasmed when they saw that they could use characters from old games. Also, it was announced like a week ago, welcome to the party. Localization could have already started for all we know, especially since it's been confirmed for PAL for some time. I only hope that it doesn't have the horrific English voice acting that some previous Fire Emblems had. FE9 Mist was borderline tortuous.

EDIT: the DLC may be mostly awesome, but some of it will ruin your favorite characters. Here is all the evidence I need:

Although I question how Micaiah could be anyone's favorite character, this is still ridiculous. And don't even get me started on Eirika's bride class... No image for that because I want to protect you from the stupidity of it all.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
It might just be because I haven't really played many games like it, but I was fairly disappointed in the Spiderman Demo from the 3DS eShop.

Firstly, there are only 10 uses. That's probably more than I'm ever going to need, but I hand it to my friends who don't have a 3DS to let them try it too. That's definitely a bad idea for the developers. The point of a demo is to let people try it out. Nobody is going to just play the same level of the demo and be satisfied and not buy the game. If they don't buy the game its because they don't like it, not because the developer put too many uses on the demo.

Secondly, the textures are straight out of N64. I'm not even kidding. I kept thinking of Goldeneye when I was looking at their faces. It was like they drew a face on a pantyhose and stretched it over a manikin. The walls and tables and objects were no better.

Speaking of manikins, all the characters moved about as smoothly as manikins too. There's this hilarious part where Spiderman crawls through this vent, and his head and shoulders and arms look so ridiculous. I guess they had to bend or cram the character model or something, but I literally laughed out loud. You can grab and swing and toss the enemies too. Again. Manikins. It was like tossing bowling pins or something, except when they hit other enemies, they often just shot right through them.

Then there's the camera. I guess in a game where you can climb almost every surface and shoot from wall to wall to ceiling to pillar to trash can and freeze time in midair (wut) to change direction and shoot another way, your camera's just going to go wonky every now and then. But it seemed like it was doing it much more often than other open games like that. Its like the camera just didn't know where to go. I was regularly inside Spiderman's body when zipping about from wall to wall. It was very disorienting.

And finally, this is probably more of just a general gripe with a gamestyle, but I cannot stand games where the game performs amazing aerial acrobatic attacks for you while you mindlessly mash the A button. One of the reasons I loved OoT so much was because of the Jump Attack. I would figure out just where to stand and how close I could get and how far away I could be to attack exactly the way I wanted to. And it was so rewarding to Jump in to slash, dodge to the right or left to miss a vertical attack or backflip to miss a horizontal attack in a crowd of enemies. And nothing was quite as rewarding as cornering and knocking an enemy off of a ledge into the water so it died (lookin at you stalfos). The game wasn't programed to do that. I just figured out how to do it. Its not so much a problem with the game itself, but I just don't like games like this where the game does all the fancy work for you. Where's the sense of accomplishment? You didn't do that crazy "leg grab, swing off the pillar, toss the bad guy in the trash can move", the game did. All you did was mash A like a moron.

Well, it's a licensed movie tie-in game, and a handheld one at that, which means it has practically no budget to speak of, so none of that's really surprising and is the reason why most games like this don't deserve much of a look.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
has anyone here played metroid 2? it looks really REALLY good from the video demo on its page, but i'm not sure. i really hate metroid 1 because it's stupid hard and the graphics are just terrible. say what you want about me, but for the most part i can't stand NES graphics. SNES graphics look great, but NES is too simplistic.

however, metroid 2 is on the game boy, so the graphics will have a marked improvement (i guess to link's awakening style sans color). i love the look of link's awakening DX.

so if someone could tell me the difficulty level / length of metroid 2 and if the gameplay was good i'd be in their debt :) thanks

has anyone here played metroid 2? it looks really REALLY good from the video demo on its page, but i'm not sure. i really hate metroid 1 because it's stupid hard and the graphics are just terrible. say what you want about me, but for the most part i can't stand NES graphics. SNES graphics look great, but NES is too simplistic.

however, metroid 2 is on the game boy, so the graphics will have a marked improvement (i guess to link's awakening style sans color). i love the look of link's awakening DX.

so if someone could tell me the difficulty level / length of metroid 2 and if the gameplay was good i'd be in their debt :) thanks
It's a solid game, although I prefered metroid fusion over it (who doesn't?) it still has its strong points.

The gameplay is smooth, it's not as choppy as metroid 1 and the graphics don't interfere with the gameplay, objects are easily distinguished, it's just nice. The music is a little wonky at times, but it won't really stand out if you aren't listening closely.

Nothing else to really tell you, it's a good game and well worth playing if you want to know more about the storyline and Samus' relationship with the metroids. Play it if you have a few hours, it's worth it.

I am so making my unit a Myrmidon/Swordmaster in that game, add in a bit of extra Str and they can plow through anything...if it's an option anyways.
I can't wait for this games english release. I'll probably change seal my unit to a archer(female), or thief(male).

Also I currently have $20 to spend in the eshop. Is there anything you guys will recommend to buy in the shop.

I can't wait for this games english release. I'll probably change seal my unit to a archer(female), or thief(male).

Also I currently have $20 to spend in the eshop. Is there anything you guys will recommend to buy in the shop.
Pushmo or Pullblox, if you haven't yet got it.

Also the GBC Zelda game.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Cavestory as well if you haven't played that yet. One of those legendary indie games that is just plain amazing.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone have rhythm thief?

Judging by the demo it looks super fun, but I have a feeling that it's too short and really doesn't deserve to be a full game.. I'd rather it was downloadable.

So...in their infinite wisdom, they decided to not bother including the extra thumb pad on the right side for the larger model, even with the added space? Not to mention that makes it incompatible likely with the one for the regular 3DS...

Personally I see it as a positive, in that there's always a slim chance that having a larger model come out could drive down the price on the old 3DS even more XD

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
A new model works for me. My 3DS is a bit worn (the left shoulder button doesn't work anymore and the screen is a bit scratched up, among other issues) and I was contemplating buying a replacement, but now this is on the horizon so I can just wait and get that instead. The bigger size doesn't mean much to me but I hope the shoulder buttons are a bit bigger (the ones on the current model are a bit small and in my opinion). Extra battery life is always welcome.

Of course, I'll keep my old one. You can never have too many!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)