New UU: Riddle Me This (Warstory)

While I'm not a great battler, sometimes you have these battles that are more interesting then others. And I like to write these things up when I got nothing to do. Like today. Had a nice close battle, so I just wanted to share it here...and make it a warstory while I was at it.

This happened on the New UU ladder, with a team I'm finetuning. No problems dealing with Raikou, Spiritomb a bit more, but in the end, its all a new metagame so its interesting to play in.
I'm JMcCloud in this battle.

Teams will be revealed as we go.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
Riddler sent out Froslass (lvl 100 Froslass ?).
JMcCloud sent out Tauros (lvl 100 Tauros ?).
Tauros's intimidate cut Froslass's attack!
Froslass used Spikes.
Spikes were scattered everywhere!
Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
Tauros used Stone Edge.
It's super effective!
Froslass lost 100% of its health.
Froslass hung on using its Focus Sash!
Tauros lost 10% of its health.
---
Alright, obvious opening here. Standard clauses and all that, as its ladder. I know Froslass is just going to Destiny Bond me after surviving with her Sash, so I sacrifice my most expandable team member. Tauros is only meant to put on early pressure, which it excels at. But against this lead, all it does is KO-ing the lead while allowing one layer of spikes. I could send in another of my team members but they would either be taunted or Destiny Bonded anyway, so bye bye Tauros. And Froslass.
---

---

Froslass used Destiny Bond.
Froslass is trying to take its foe with it!
Tauros used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
Froslass lost 0% of its health.
Riddler's Froslass fainted.
Tauros lost 10% of its health.
Froslass took Tauros with it!
JMcCloud's Tauros fainted.
---
As expected. I just hit Pursuit just in case she’d switch. but that ain’t happening, as expected. So with that score, my opponent has a slight lead in the fact that he has Spikes down. Just one layer though, so that’s no big deal. And I got a spinner handy if it starts taking a toll.
---
Riddler switched in Staraptor (lvl 100 Staraptor ?).
JMcCloud switched in Typhlosion (lvl 100 Typhlosion ?).
Typhlosion was hurt by Spikes!
Typhlosion lost 12% of its health.
Staraptor's intimidate cut Typhlosion's attack!
Riddler switched in Feraligatr (lvl 100 Feraligatr ?).
Typhlosion used Eruption.
It's not very effective...
Feraligatr lost 44% of its health.
Feraligatr's leftovers restored its health a little!
Feraligatr restored 6% of its health.
---
Alright, so we see Staraptor vs. Typhlosion. My Typhlosion is an obvious Scarf-Erupter, its nothing special but gets the job done. Expecting to outspeed Staraptor, I just mash the Eruption button, to be greeted with a fellow Johto starter: Feraligatr. Feraligatr carries leftovers, and is in general a pain, so I best get my Typhlosion out of here as barring a crit, I ain’t gonna knock out that croc.
---

---

JMcCloud switched in Slowbro (lvl 100 Slowbro ?).
Slowbro was hurt by Spikes!
Slowbro lost 12% of its health.
Feraligatr used Waterfall.
Slowbro lost 10% of its health.
Slowbro's leftovers restored its health a little!
Slowbro restored 6% of its health.
---
Enter one of the most awesome Pokémon ever: SLOWBRO. Slowbro laughs at the incoming Waterfall, healing most of the damage with its flashy leftovers. I decide to just hit the Thunder Wave button. Slowbro is a good deterrent for Ground types, so he tends to catch something.
---

---
Riddler switched in Shaymin (lvl 100 Shaymin).
Slowbro used Thunder Wave.
Shaymin is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
---
Shaymin, both good and bad news. The good news is that I caught it with a Thunder Wave, the bad news is its natural cure, and it’s a beast in general. Fortunately, I got an answer to it, but it has no way of recovering. So.
---

---

JMcCloud switched in Regice (lvl 100 Regice).
Regice was hurt by Spikes!
Regice lost 12% of its health.
Shaymin used Earth Power.
Regice lost 14% of its health.
Shaymin lost 10% of its health.
Regice's leftovers restored its health a little!
Regice restored 6% of its health.
---
Regice joins the fray, posing an immediate threat to Shaymin, who shows off that it has a Life Orb. Interesting, but it’s not gonna phase Regice anytime soon. Time to get a Sub up as I expect my opponent to switch.
---

---

Regice used Substitute.
Regice lost 25% of its health.
Regice made a substitute!
Shaymin used Leech Seed.
But it failed!
---
Surprisingly, Shaymin takes to Leech Seed. But thanks to Slowbro’s thunder wave, I am now clear of its assault and am safely behind a sub. Time to hit that gay chica flower pet.
---
Regice used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Shaymin lost 71% of its health.
Shaymin used Seed Flare.
The substitute took damage for Regice!
Regice's substitute faded!
---
Not too shabby on the damage there, coupled with Shaymin’s Life Orb recoil, this thing should be down soon. I can pretty much tell my opponent will swap it out expecting to hit something with it later on, but I don’t mind, I’ll just pop up another sub.
---
Regice used Substitute.
---
And there’s the Gatr again. I think I got him a nice little surprise.
---
Feraligatr used Earthquake.
Regice used Thunder Wave.
Feraligatr is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
---
Thunder Wave is cute, and his unboosted Earthquake isn’t going to break my sub anytime soon (Hurray for maxing HP). With what seems to be his most dangerous physical sweeper out of commission, I can relax a bit. Let’s hurt this thing a bit.
---
Regice used Seismic Toss.
Feraligatr lost 31% of its health.
Feraligatr is paralysed! It can't move!
---
So he’s paralyzed fully, works out perfectly for me to get in some extra damage. Not a lot to see here.
---
Regice used Seismic Toss.
Feraligatr lost 31% of its health.
Feraligatr used Earthquake.
---
My sub is finally down, and Feraligatr is in critical damage range. I best just set up a new sub as Gatr won’t break it with a single Quake.
---
Riddler switched in Hariyama (lvl 100 Hariyama ?).
Regice used Substitute.
---
Hariyama comes in. Now, I’m guessing at this point that it’s a Thick Fat Hariyama, and given their high HP, Regice won’t do jack to it. Ofcourse, there is one thing left.
---

---

Hariyama used Close Combat.
It's super effective!
Hariyama's defence was lowered.
Hariyama's special defence was lowered.
Regice used Thunder Wave.
Hariyama is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
---
Hariyama too gets a nice sweet taste of my Thunder Wave. The Sub is broken so I best get Regice out of there, since Close Combat is not a move on its to fight list.
---
Hariyama used Close Combat.
Slowbro lost 47% of its health.
Hariyama's defence was lowered.
Hariyama's special defence was lowered.
---
That did a lot more then I had expected. Maybe, just maybe, this WAS a Guts Hariyama. Not good. Then again, I have it slowed down and its not going anywhere anytime soon, and it still cannot take on Slowbro one on one. Since he’s probably going to switch, I’d be best off recovering some health.
---
Slowbro used Slack Off.
Slowbro restored 50% of its health.
---
Shaymin comes back, and I decide to take a risk at this point. Being Slacked Off, I’m in peak condition. Shaymin, on the other hand, is very low on HP. So why not gamble a bit and keep Slowbro in?
---
Shaymin used Rest.
Shaymin fell asleep!
Shaymin restored 81% of its health.
Slowbro used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Shaymin lost 46% of its health.
---
Alright, Life Orb + Leech Seed + Rest, that seems a bit odd but I guess it makes sense with Shaymin’s bulk. Oh well, I still did a number on it and it cannot stay in, so lets see what will come out to play next.
---
Slowbro used Ice Beam.
Feraligatr lost 15% of its health.
---
Ohithar Gatr. You’re gonna die soon, you knew that?
---
Slowbro used Surf.
Feraligatr lost 20% of its health.
Riddler's Feraligatr fainted.
---
Obvious Gatr sacrifice by Riddler. Slowbro is now at 100% health and I’ve taken the lead. Looking good.
---

---
Slowbro used Surf.
Hariyama lost 44% of its health.
Hariyama used Thunderpunch.
It's super effective!
Slowbro lost 75% of its health.
---
This makes me decide: This thing is choiced. Not having expected the Thunderpunch (Given the absence of Gyarados in this meta), Slowbro takes a huge hit but still survives, having chipped off a great deal of health from Hariyama.
---
JMcCloud switched in Claydol (lvl 100 Claydol).
Hariyama used Thunderpunch.
It doesn't affect Claydol...
---
And so I get Slowbro out of there to let Claydol do its thing. Laughing at the Thunderpunch, it now poses an immediate threat to my opponent, for he cannot know what Claydol will do.
---

---

Claydol used Trick.
Claydol obtained Life Orb!
Shaymin obtained Choice Scarf!
---
So I tricked, and now Shaymin cannot deploy any stalling strategies viably anymore. It will Seed Flare though, so I should get Claydol OUT of there, pronto.
---
Shaymin used Seed Flare.
It's super effective!
Slowbro lost 18% of its health.
JMcCloud's Slowbro fainted.
---
You fought well Slowbro, and you effectively neutered a bunch of my opponent’s offenses. But now you have to be sacrificed to let me deal with this thing a bit better.
---

---
JMcCloud switched in Regice (lvl 100 Regice).
Regice was hurt by Spikes!
Regice lost 12% of its health.
Shaymin used Seed Flare.
Regice used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Shaymin lost 54% of its health.
Riddler's Shaymin fainted.
---
I don’t know why he chose to sacrifice Shaymin here. Maybe he expected Seed Flare to do more, but no such luck for him. Regice happily counters with an Ice Beam, stripping off Shaymin´s remaining health, knocking it clean out.
---

---
Riddler switched in Staraptor (lvl 100 Staraptor ?).
Staraptor used Return.
Regice lost 21% of its health.
JMcCloud's Regice fainted.
---
In comes Staraptor, and I don’t feel like sacrificing Claydol to it, nor do I want it to take huge damage. Quickly looking at the damage numbers, I realize that Regice can’t switch in to take a hit anymore, so I opt to let Regice die. I still have Typhlosion, Claydol and an unknown Pokémon, to his Staraptor, Paralyzed Hariyama and an unknown Pokémon. Typhlosion should be able to harm him badly.
---

---
JMcCloud switched in Typhlosion (lvl 100 Typhlosion ?).
Typhlosion was hurt by Spikes!
Typhlosion lost 12% of its health.
Typhlosion used Overheat.
Staraptor lost 100% of its health.
Riddler's Staraptor fainted.
Typhlosion's special attack was harshly lowered.
---
This showed that he didn’t really have a safe switchin on Typhlosion. Alright, good to know. Staraptor burns down in a blaze of…well, heat, and I take the lead once more.
---

---
Riddler switched in Gallade (lvl 100 Gallade ?).
JMcCloud switched in Claydol (lvl 100 Claydol).
Gallade used Close Combat.
Claydol lost 41% of its health.
Gallade's defence was lowered.
Gallade's special defence was lowered.
Gallade lost 10% of its health.
---
Enter Gallade. With its high Special DEF and Typhlosion having a -2 Sp. ATK right now, I don’t fancy on keeping in Typhlosion. So I swap to Claydol, confident in its ability to stop Gallade, knowing my final Pokémon should be able to deal with Hariyama swiftly.
---

---

Gallade used Shadow Sneak.
It's super effective!
Claydol lost 35% of its health.
Gallade lost 10% of its health.
Claydol used Explosion.
Gallade lost 80% of its health.
Riddler's Gallade fainted.
JMcCloud's Claydol fainted.
---
You probably shouldn’t ask me why I opted for Explosion. To be honest, I wasn’t sure Earthquake would knock out, and then, with Shadow Sneak, my final Pokémon could be in for a world of hurt from this Gallade if he would’ve swapped out for Hariyama. So I’m happy this played out the way it did.
---

---
JMcCloud switched in Mismagius (lvl 100 Mismagius ?).
Mismagius used Shadow Ball.
Hariyama lost 56% of its health.
Riddler's Hariyama fainted.
---
And my final Pokémon is Mismagius. A Choice Specs variety, I might add. This proves to be too much for Hariyama, and Mismagius and Typhlosion stand victorious.
---

---

Fully Paralyzed Tally: 1 (Feraligatr early-game)
Critical Hit Tally: 0
---
With those numbers, I’m always happy. I use Paralysis to allow Typhlosion and Mismagius to rip through teams, and maybe Tauros if he survived, in a rather RBY-esque way. Given the amount of turns his pokes spent paralyzed, I’m surprised the number was that low. And then…
---
JMcCloud: good game
Riddler: hax crap
Riddler has left the room.
JMcCloud: ...what?

Sore loser or what?

+ and - TIEMZ YALL
+ Slowbro for being a major nuisance and being awesome in general
+ Regice for being the same, just with a lower coolness factor (Pun intended)
+ Claydol for warding off Hariyama, Tricking Shaymin and Blowing up Gallade
+ Typhlosion for the threat it is
+ Not needing to spin to pull through
+ Fast paced battle despite the relative defensive nature of my team
+ Pretty much no hax
- Mismagius barely getting time
- The Tauros vs Froslass matchup happening too much
- Opponent being a sore loser. If you want to blame something on hax thats fine, but if there's no hax, then how can you blame it on hax?

Hope you enjoyed this warstory.

Just for non-crossed reference, here are our full teams:

It wasn't a bad battle, but it doesn't stand out either. Your opponent didn't play very well from what I saw, and good warstories are well played on both ends. There was also a lack of predictions, the only thing I saw being you mistaking abilities.

Nice simple format (seriously, the colors get annoying). Comments weren't bad either. It would've been nice if you revealed your team right off the bat so that we can really get into your head and know what you're planning or may do (rather than be like "Oh, what's he going to do?"), while keeping them hidden in your boxes to help remind us what is still a "secret weapon" of sorts. It helps draw the reader into the battle.

I'll agree with the really cool format. You played pretty good that game, some good prediction and smart choices. Your opponent wasn't THAT good though, but nice work :).

Well played on your part, you really had his number the entire match, probably why he acted like such a bitch at the end.

Nice format as well, however the onesideness of this match in your favor made it slightly boring.

I guess what I really liked about the battle itself was the way I had to maneuver around his team which did pack more initial firepower, while I don't really have a lot of dedicated walling going on (Slowbro and Regice, yes, but they left the play pretty early). I suppose thats not everyone's liking.

Haha, Riddler.

I swear that guy must be a troll >_> I faced him three times on the ladder today, and unfortunately I was playtesting a new team (I haven't played UU as much as I should have!), so my performance was not up to the standard that I would have wished it to be, I won 2, lost 1 IIRC.

Either way he started off by complaining about the Speed Tie between his Froslass and my Ambipom (Froslass is base 110, Ambipom is base 115), then he went on to have a bitch about 3 crits during the course of the first battle (only one of which I actually remember, which happened to be unimportant), then in the 3rd battle he told me that in the second battle, I hit maximum damage 5 times in a row and he hit minimum damage 3 times in a row in the same battle, he then went on to claim that "no-one is that lucky." I told him that "no-one is said enough to do said calculations, I assume they're made up." No comprehendable reply.

My response was simply, "If you hate the RNG so much, why do you play this game?" Never got an answer to that one, unfortunately. Nice to see him being beaten here too =) Congratulations!

I quite enjoyed it. Next time it might be better to warstory a match your opponent is happy with, but it's still funny when an opponent blames a hax-less battle on one little bit of hax (unless it cost them the game, which is rare).

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Err, riddler is using my UU team (although quite badly i might add). He should've used payback on hariyama when against slowbro instead of thunderpunch and never switch feraligatr into regice as they often carry thunderbolt. Nice warstory, good to see him beaten.

I liked your warstory, the format was good and easy to follow. Would've jumped out a little more if the battle had been more even, reading the end of it gave me this really secure sense that you were gonna sail to victory lol.

Indra

DACODBOSS
is a Past WCoP Champion
lol nice team and great format! Battle couldve been more epic but nice to see the new format. =)

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Great format and overall good warstory. Somewhat disappointed at the lack of "old UU" Pokemon (only Claydol and Frosslass).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)