Surprise Trap-passing Umbreon

Umbreon @ Chople Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Bold
- Mean Look
- Yawn
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Obviously, the goal is to Baton Pass a Mean Look, complimented with a nifty sleep status.

Many people anticipate the Trap Pass when you switch in Umbreon, and switch in a Fighting Pokemon. This set aims to surprise them by Trap Passing anyways, by guaranteeing sleep with Yawn/Protect and weakening their first Fighting hit with the Chople Berry. Switch Umbreon in on something that can't kill it, Mean Look whatever they switch in. If it's a Fighting type, you're golden. Yawn, Protect, then Baton Pass away. Protect can also screw over attempts at exploding in your face by the likes of Bronzong or Forretress.

You can do the obvious and set up DD Gyarados after the pass, but since you're going to be putting the opponent to sleep as well, you can do something bolder and go to Smeargle if you dare. People have always needed to watch out for [Spore] / Substitute / Belly Drum / Baton Pass Smeargles, but having a trapped, sleeping opponent makes the job a heck lot easier.

This set has no way of healing itself, but the thing is that you're not supposed to need to switch in again if you successfully pull off a Trap Pass. (If your recipient can't pull off a 6-0 sweep after this kind of set up, you need to get a new one.) In any case, some Wish support does help if you can't pull off the Trap Pass right away.

The EV's are in Defense because physical attacks are more common in today's metagame, especially with Umbreon being the Fighting magnet that he is.

This set is obviously countered by anything that has Substitute or Taunt. Leech Seed isn't fun either since you pass that to your recipient as well. Status moves can screw up Yawn because of Umbreon's Synchronize (which you can't get rid of as it's its only ability). Bug moves still hit for super-effective damage, but they are considerably rarer than Fighting attacks. There are a lot of things that stop this set, but the obvious and beginner tactic (send in a fighting type, use close combat) fails and allows you to get the deadly set up going.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Mewtwo @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-o-Wisp
- Taunt
- Thunder
- Recover

First things first. Credits to Sarenji for making Stalltres. That is what brought me up this idea.

Secondly, like all my other movesets (Careful CBTar, Ghost Arceus, Mix Dialga, etc), this has not been field tested. So this set is purely theoretical and is by no means guaranteed to be effective in the uber metagame

And thirdly I apologize if someone has created this set before.

Now, onto the set:

When you first see this set, the first thing that may come into your mind is, "What on earth?". Yes, "what on earth?" is a fairly logical and acceptable response, as this is quite unexpected and uses Mewtwo's lower stats. This set attempts to use Mewtwo's unexpected side via. Will-o-Wisp, a move learned by so few in the uber metagame. With Will-o-Wisp, Mewtwo can quickly shut down many of its usual counters, such as Scizor and Metagross (damage calcs coming up later), as well as stopping Tyranitar dead in its tracks. These Pokemon will rarely suspect that a Mewtwo is carrying Will-o-Wisp and therefore will usually stay in the attempt to punish Mewtwo. Taunt prevents recovery, so that even Blissey will be hard pressed. With Taunt, Mewtwo can prevent Pokemon such as Jirachi from suffocating it with Toxic, or Wishpassing and whatnot. Taunt and Recover are somethiing that Mewtwo has that Giratina doesn't, so therefore Mewtwo is not an inferior Giratina. Finally, Thunder is there as an attacking move to use with Mewtwo's base 154 Special Attack. No, Thunder doesn't exist on Mewtwo for the sake of it-Thunder covers up Ho-oh and Kyogre rather nicely, as they can do quite mean things to Mewtwo. Thunder also gives another status option in cases where burn is an inferior option, such as when fighting a Palkia or the aforementioned Ho-oh.

The EVs give Mewtwo 406 HP, 306 Defense and 307 Speed. The 307 Speed is simply there to outrun max Speed base 90s, but one can increase the speed as far as 334 to outrun Mew and Garchomp. Because Mewtwo's HP is on the higher side of his base stats, it is recommended that you drop the points from HP and not from Defense.

For this set to function best, you must keep it as a surprise. Don't go switching into things because a single Brick Break or so can ruin the set's surprise if your opponent is alert enough. Using it as a lead stops Tyranitar and Groudon leads fairly nicely, but it fails against everyone else. Try bringing him inwhen the opponent's not attacking (predict it), and then let the surprise unfold. This can cause a lot of switches so it's best that you pack a Steath Rocker in your team.

Now for the damage calculations
Burned Careful CBTar's Crunch vs Mewtwo:
134-158
33%-39%

Burned Max Attack, Adamant CBGross' Meteor Mash vs Mewtwo:

108-127
27%-31%

Burned Max Attack, Adamant Life Orb Scizor's U-Turn vs Mewtwo:
126-150
31%-37%
No one runs this much, so it's safe to assume that Scizor's going nowhere.

Burned Jirachi's U-Turn vs Mewtwo:
42-50
10%-12%
Lol

Burned CB Groudon's Earthquake vs Mewtwo
114-135
28%-33%

Other options:
Not really

What to watch out for:
Heracross and Camerupt.

Once again I would like to remind everyone that this set is purely theoretical, so don't go stuffing this into your uber teams.

EDIT: if you want 334 Speed, use this spread:
224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Spd Timid. It has roughly 1.09x less Defense than the Bold one but it won't hurt much

The analysis doesn't mention anywhere this set,and i use it massively.Let's say it's the epitome of a defensive poke.Well,there it is:

Scizor@Leftovers
Technician

252 hp/252 def/6atk

Iron Defense
X-Scissor
Metal Claw
Roost

What this set does achieve?Well,it stops any non-SD physical attacking poke,and it's probably the best 1X1 poke(the last poke in both teams)
Iron Defense makes it real bulky at physical attacks,while Roost is there for recovery.Note that he's immune to Toxic,which pokes with 50% recovery move really hate.

Then X-Scissor is there for STAB.And Metal Claw.Metal Claw?
50 BP isn't too weak?And it's a steel type attack!!!Well,let me say one thing:Technician.
Technician boosts it to a good 75 BP plus STAB,with a 10% chance of raise attack.One more thing:64 PP!!!!That's probably it's one of the best last pokes 1X1 stall thing.Stell type almost doesn't matter.

Pros:it counters a HUGE list of physical attackind based pokes who can't raise the attack.It can take a surf or two from bulky waters too.Paired well with either Dugtrio or Blissey

Cons::Run like ther's no tomorrow of fire types.They laughs at the set.Stay away from powerful special sweepers too,and phazers.You can't compete with Swords Dance pokes too.But,well,you have another 5 pokes in your team to take care of that.

Last time...anyone?

This particular set is best used for the Suspect Ladder because Deoxys-E would outclass it otherwise. Also, it is only meant to used as a lead, don't try to use it mid to late game.

Name: Screenzam
Alakazam@Light Clay/Focus Sash
EVs: 252 hp, 216 speed, 36 def/sp atk
Timid
Inner Focus
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Taunt
-Counter/Encore/Psychic

The EVs allow it to outspeed all base 115s. Taunt allows you to stop slower leads that try to set up SR and/or status you. 252 HP is for durability, you'd be surprised what alakazam can survive (I've had it survive Aero's stone edge without reflect up). This set is useful if you want to set up a fragile sweeper such as Lucario or Infernape, but it can work with pretty much any sweeper. Light Clay is the prefered item here so you're not in a rush to set up your sweeper before the screens run out, however focus sash may be used if you want to counter tyranitar/weavile or survive an attack from choice scarfers. Speaking of counter, Encore can also work in that slot as it allows you to encore SRers to set up more screens. It also helps stop sweepers like Salamence and Gyarados from setting up. Psychic is an option if you want a decent STAB move so alakazam isn't completely useless offensively. If you want, move the 36 def EVs into sp atk if running Psychic.

As for which ability to use, Inner Focus is preferred because it will let you not flinch against Ambipom/Infernape/Weavile fake out leads. You already got Taunt to prevent status so Synchronize is kind of worthless.

A lot of people have been using dual screen starmie on the suspect ladder, but I personally like this better because it's faster and gets taunt.
Any other comments on this moveset?

Surprise Trap-passing Umbreon

Umbreon @ Chople Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Bold
- Mean Look
- Yawn
- Protect
- Baton Pass
I for one can say how annoying this is. I fought in in PBR, and it set up for a BellyZard sweep. Needless to say, I lost. :(

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The only thing I really hate about this thread are some of the names people give to the sets. I hate almost every set nickname ever given to a Pokémon. Otherwise, kickass thread.

I made a slight variant on Celebi for my stall team on Suspect:

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/136 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Leech Seed
- Recover
- Heal Bell
- Aerial Ace
---

Stalling machine, mostly. Leech Seed and Recover together are awesome on Celebi, and Heal Bell is a good support move. Now, I've always been uncomfortable combining Leech Seed and a move that doesn't hit Grass types for SE damage, so Aerial Ace goes in the fourth slot. Since Celebi is the best Breloom switch-in I can think of, Aerial Ace just shuts it down. Also keeps away Heracross and lets Celebi pose a threat when switching in on CB Close Combat. The reason HP Flying isn't used instead is because a fair amout of Grass types and Heracross himself have higher Special Defense than Defense.

I'd still prefer to run Psychic over Aerial Ace. With Aerial Ace, Gyarados, Salamence, etc. switch in on you with no fear at all. Psychic still hits Breloom and Heracross hard, and hits other Grassers (that aren't Celebi) for enough damage (almost the same as HP Fire/Ice). Speaking of which, HP Fire is a decent alternative that will do *some* damage to Grassers/Heracross while preventing Forretress and Skarmory from switching in on you.

Also, what do the 120 Speed EVs do that the analysis' 32 Speed EVs doesn't do?

The analysis for Suicune only mentions Mirror Coat in the other options section, so I tried to create my own set devoted entirely to Mirror Coat.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold nature
240 HP, 60 defense, 40 special attack, 168 special defense
Mirror Coat
Protect
Surf
Ice Beam/Rest

Much of the magic of this set is in the EVs. With the spread given, its defenses are 401/309/308, meaning it takes neutral hits on either side as well as a max HP/defense Swampert takes hits on the physical side.
With so much special defense, Gengar can barely manage a 2HKO you with Thunderbolt some of the time, while Mirror Coat easily dispatches the grinning ghoul. Protect eases prediction, and lets you recover a little with Leftovers if you're not playing in sandstorm. Surf is Suicune's attacking move of choice, and the 40 special attack EVs are meant to power it up, since without Calm Mind this set is somewhat lacking in power. The last moveslot is a toss-up, and determines what you ought to use to support this Suicune. With Ice Beam, you get better coverage, but need Wish support, and with Rest, you can recover on your own, but will require Aromatherapy support.

Comments?
Could someone actually look at this? That's the second time this has been ignored.

Jibaku said:
Mewtwo @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-o-Wisp
- Taunt
- Thunder
- Recover
Cool set Jibaku, and the defensive calculations are quite impressive. However, is Reflect an option over Will-O-Wisp? It means that Mewtwo won't be able to stall out things such as Blissey or Giratina, but Reflect gives you extra team support, and a Taunted Blissey is perfect set-up bait.

But refelct only lasts 5 or 8 turns. Wasting an item or having an attack decreaser for only 5 turns. He only needs to protect from certain pokemon, not a whole team. IMO in ubers w-o-w > reflect. At least on that set.

Yeah, Will-O-Wisp is really the better choice when I think about it because there are not many uber physical attackers, and better choices to set up Reflect.

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
If you want Reflect then use it over Thunder imo. WoW + Reflect makes any non Heracross/Fire type/(anything else immune to burn) physical attacker pretty much useless.

I don't know if Politoed is fast enough for this, but I thought of this.

Politoed @ Focus Sash
Hasty
252 SpA/252 Spe
Counter
Hypnosis
Endeavor
Surf

This acts the same way as focus sash, gengar, but in UU which is slightly less risky as there is no Sandstorm. You take a hit and survive with Focus Sash and kill your enemy with Counter, use hypnosis on the next Pokemon, and then use Endeavor on the last, bringing it to 1HP, crippling half your opponents team. Obviously, this would work better with Poliwhirl or Poliwag as they both have 20 more base speed than Politoed, but they are NFE and not allowed in UU.

This particular set is best used for the Suspect Ladder because Deoxys-E would outclass it otherwise. Also, it is only meant to used as a lead, don't try to use it mid to late game.

Name: Screenzam
Alakazam@Light Clay/Focus Sash
EVs: 252 hp, 216 speed, 36 def/sp atk
Timid
Inner Focus
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Taunt
-Encore/Psychic
After testing this set quite a bit, I can say that even if Deoxys were available, i'd continue to use alakazam, only because Encore is one hell of a move especially with the screens. You can taunt somebody using SR and then automatically encore them, giving you a free turns to set up with your sweeper, provided they don't switch. Also, with that amount of speed, you can come in on non-dragon dancing stat uppers and encore them, letting you temporarily stop their sweep attempt. Really, Encore is just awesome.

Jibaku

The only thing I really hate about this thread are some of the names people give to the sets. I hate almost every set nickname ever given to a Pokémon. Otherwise, kickass thread.

I made a slight variant on Celebi for my stall team on Suspect:

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/136 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Leech Seed
- Recover
- Heal Bell
- Aerial Ace
---

Stalling machine, mostly. Leech Seed and Recover together are awesome on Celebi, and Heal Bell is a good support move. Now, I've always been uncomfortable combining Leech Seed and a move that doesn't hit Grass types for SE damage, so Aerial Ace goes in the fourth slot. Since Celebi is the best Breloom switch-in I can think of, Aerial Ace just shuts it down. Also keeps away Heracross and lets Celebi pose a threat when switching in on CB Close Combat. The reason HP Flying isn't used instead is because a fair amout of Grass types and Heracross himself have higher Special Defense than Defense.
Okay
Aerial Ace vs Breloom has approximately 240 BP
Psychic has approximately 270 BP
Breloom's Def > SDef

Is there any particular reason you chose AA > Psychic? Like for Cacturne or Shiftry?

Either way, this set really isn't something new, if I must critique.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Aerial Ace is used to hit opposing Grass types who can switch in freely on Leech Seed, whilst still hitting Heracross. But a SE AA has 120BP, whereas neutral Psychic has 135BP. Couple that with the fact that most Grass types have significantly higher defense than SpD (either by base stats or EV investment) such as Celebi, Tangrowth, Breloom, Meganium etc and Psychic will almost always outdamage AA.

236 Atk Aerial Ace vs 4/0 Breloom = 81.61% - 96.17%
236 SpA Psychic vs 4/0 Breloom = 113.79% - 133.72%

236 Atk Aerial Ace vs 4/0 Heracross = 74.42% - 87.71%
236 SpA Psychic vs 4/0 Heracross = 68.44% - 80.73%

236 Atk Aerial Ace vs 252/252+ Tangrowth = 13.86% - 16.34%
236 SpA Psychic vs 252/0 Tangrowth = 42.08% - 49.50%

Also consider that the Grass types who generally have higher SpD than Def are usually part Poison (Venusaur, Roserade, Vileplume etc) and therefore are weak to Psychic meaning it will still outdamage AA.

Yeah, go with Psychic, it's not even as if AA helps much against common Celebi switch-ins either.

@Leftovers
Name: Counter Destroyer Zong
Ability:Heatproof
Nature: Relaxed/Sassy
EV's: 252 HP, 70 Att, 90 SpAtt, 94 SpDef
~HP {Fire}
~Earthquake
~Charge Beam
~Stealth Rock/Hypnosis/Trick Room

This set is made to eleminate Zong's counters: Bulky Waters, Magnezone, Heatran, Celebi and Infernape while somewhat keeping it's ability to set up SR or sleep. Bulky waters are taken care by Charge Beam, Magnezone and Celebi are taken care off with HP {Fire} and Heatran and Infernape are taken care with Earthquake. This Zong should mostly be used as a Special wall. Or you could move those SpDef EV's to Def and call a Physical wall. The nature depends on where you place the SpDef EV's, keep them in SpDef or move them to Def. Heatproof is the preffered option over Levitate because the oppenent would never use a Ground type attack on Zong, but they will use a Fire attack. And you could keep the facade up with a spinner to spin away Spikes. Though you shouldn't keep him in on Swampert because he walls this set. If you meet Pert with this set you should sleep him or set up SR or TR.
Suggestions?

Jibaku

Heatproof is the preffered option over Levitate because the oppenent would never use a Ground type attack on Zong
Well, the thing is, if they use a fire attack and then they find out that it does less damage than normal, then they'll start spamming Earthquakes on poor Bronzong. The surprise only works once. It might however save you at some point which is why I am not completely against the heatproof idea.

This set is made to eleminate Zong's counters: Bulky Waters, Magnezone, Heatran, Celebi and Infernape while somewhat keeping it's ability to set up SR or sleep.
Bulky Waters should not be fazed by Charge Beam-they'll continously Surf you down and then you realize you have no reliable recovery while Vaporeon/Milotic does. Celebi will toss in a Leech Seed and laugh at HP Fire all day, really. I suppose it could work on Heatran and Infernape, but they risk switching into an Earthquake in the first place. Zone is faster than you and its higher special attack means that Thunderbolt will end you first (if he Magnet Rises to avoid the Quake obviously)

I have to be doing something wrong. Metalkid's calculator says a max SpAtt, positive Magnezone's T-Bolt does 37.87%-44.38%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)