Other Need Help with Mega Manectric team!

Hey what's up everyone, my name is SirMcFrosty and I'm hoping to get into the VGC format. I have started to build a Mega manectric team, and it is fairly decent so far on Pokemon Showdown; however, I still need some help with it! And before any of you begin mashing on those keyboards about Togekiss and the fake out on Scrafty, I know now that the Togekiss isn't in the Kalos pokedex and the fake out isn't allowed because it would have to learn in in Black/White. Please feel free to rip this entire team apart and tell me what I can improve in my team. If need be, I can scrap the team and start up again, but I would still like to keep the Mega Manectric :) I apologize in advance for any grammatical or spelling errors! Anyways, here is my team:

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

The manectric really interested me, l liked the idea of having both a special sweeper and a support lightning rod/ intimidate pokemon rolled into one. The nature and Evs are pretty standard. The overheat had more punch than flamethrower which I liked, and then I could volt turn out out of a bad match up and get rid of the SpAtk decrease at the same time. Thunderbolt is a must have because it is more reliable than thunder, yet it still can Ohko a pokemon. I chose protect instead of a HP Ice mainly because I could earthquake with my garchomp without killing my Special Sweeper. I also didn't have the patience of breeding one with it. :/

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Protect

The garchomp i am using is pretty standard, i liked the speed of it and the fact that it can hit pretty darn hard.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder Wave
- Nasty Plot

Yes I know, no Togekiss in the VGC format. Good Special Sweep Flying Fairy which support manectric pretty well. The Air Slash is useful for the flinching and flying STAB. And the Dazzling Gleam hits both opposing pokemon and is also a STAB move which I liked. Thunder wave paid off pretty well, I liked the idea that if I managed to get the paralyze on a pokemon, I could then Nasty Plot and sweep. I also loved the bulk of this as well.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Roost

Scizor always appealed to me, mainly because of how boss it looks. It is also a pretty bulky pokemon, and can hit the fairy pokemon hard. The Evs I put on it gave me the chance to outspeed some slower fairy pokes, but also live some fire attacks. I liked the life orb on it because it could hit hard and then regain lost health with roost. The Bullet Punch is essential for any scizor; however, I felt a little lost with the rest of the moves. I couldn't decided if I needed protect instead of roost, feint instead of x- scissor, and a different move to take the place of swords dance. I just don't feel confident with the move set.

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 136 SpD / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

I have liked Venasaur from the originals: big, bulky, and can be named Flower Power. I liked the venasaur with sleep powder and synthesis. Good wall with regeneration. The giga drain and sludge bomb were necessary so I could counter a taunt, and also to hit those pesky fairy types, and yes, I did just say pesky *face palm* The evs ensured that it was a well rounded wall that could both take a physical and a special STAB move.

Scrafty @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Atk / 12 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

The last poke of my team helps to provide that oh so beautiful knock off support. I thought that this pokemon would come in handy with its bulk and intimidate. Pretty standard set. Lum berry to make sure that I can keep using fake out and not being hindered with a status move. Evs are standard to make sure I am effective. Moves are pretty regular, drain punch is a good STAB and so is Knock Off. Fake out is a must have, for it helps support the team. Ice Punch is to deal with opposing garchomps.

Thanks for looking at my team! Please make suggestions, and tear this team apart :) If need be, scrap the team. I am okay with building a new one :) Have a good one guys!

leftovers > life orb on scizor and bug bite > x-scizzor on scizor, also is this doubles because mega manectric and scarfchomp has protect

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just a quick rate (not even an official rater, so you can ignore me :>)

It's doubles, Protect is more often than not necessary as it allows you to predict attacks and gain free turns, as well as scout for what you're opponent is trying to do.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Togekiss already hits well enough without a set up, and this allows you to extend its life much more effectively. I'm not going to discuss the merits of offensive togekiss, but it usually works best as a bulky support based around follow me.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Iron Head / Poison Jab / Fire Fang / Outrage

You have Protect on a choiced-mon. Just swap it out for anything else. Iron Head and Poison Jab can nail fairies, Fire Fang for Ferro, Outrage for just generally hitting shit harder than Dragon Claw.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Protect

Bug Bite hits harder than X-Scissor, and steals berries. Protect to save yourself from shit that'll kill you, like Heat Waves and what not.

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 136 SpD / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

You don't need Synthesis, you'll do most of your healing with Giga Drain + Black Sludge healing and Protect stalling.

Thanks for the reply! I like the suggestions, I'll start editing! Do you think there is an alternative for togekiss, or should I play this team in another format like smogon doubles where it is legal to play togekiss...

Hi sirmcfrosty! A nice team you have there. I would actually recommend an amoonguss over your current venusaur, which is designed to take hits. Amoon has access to spore, rage powder, and regenerator to keep it healthy and support the team well. It also acts as a good tr check, putting opps to sleep before they can set up tr, or putting them to sleep before they can attack in tr

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect
- Giga Drain

The evs and nature give amoonguss good bulk on both sides like venusaur, but with spore and rage powder can support the team easily as well. The ivs reduce confusion damage, whike making amoonguss a good tr check with its low speed to spore threats under tr.

Also, as a tip, you should always run protect where possible in doubles/vgc. It is invaluable in stopping attacks from koing a poke while your other poke takes out the threat, while stalling tr turns, easing prediction etc. Some really bulky support pokes, like cresselia, togekiss (sometimes) and choiced pokes, like your garchomp, dont need protect, as that moveslot could be used on a necessary support move

Hi

I would suggest HP Ice over Volt Switch on Manectric. While Volt Switch is nice, HO Ice provides needed coverage against Ground types, and can strike them hard, or maybe possibly OHKO them.

I would think that Life Orb over Choice Scarf would be better on Garchomp. You have a fast Manectric and priority,plus Choice Scarf doesn't allow you to switch moves. Life orb provides Garchomp with lots of power that allows it to tear throw teams more easily.

Your togekiss set doesn't really work in this meta, I would suggest something like this

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SDef
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Tailwind
- Air Slash
- Protect

EVs let you survive Iron Head from Bisharp. Follow Me redirects moves to Togekiss so your teammate doesn't get hit, and Tailwind is also useful for doubling your team's speed. Air Slash is a general good attack that flinches 60 percent of the time, and protect let's you dodge attacks and lets your teammate get a hit on the threat.

I suggest Bug Bite and Protect over X Scissor and Roost on Scizor. Bug Bite with Technician is stronger than X Scissor by 10 base power so it is more powerful. It's hard to find opportunities to Roost in Doubles, and Protect is just valuable as Scizor can avoid Fire attacks while it's teammate can take out the troublesome fire type. That's just an example, as Protect is useful in many other situations too.

Defensive Venesaur is cool and I never saw it before. I am interested in seeing how it would work out, so I would not make any changes to it other than putting Protect over Synthesis for the same reason as Scizor. I would probably change it to Amoonguss but it is worth a try

Scrafty is perfect, no changes needed

Good luck!

Hi

I would suggest HP Ice over Volt Switch on Manectric. While Volt Switch is nice, HO Ice provides needed coverage against Ground types, and can strike them hard, or maybe possibly OHKO them.

I would think that Life Orb over Choice Scarf would be better on Garchomp. You have a fast Manectric and priority,plus Choice Scarf doesn't allow you to switch moves. Life orb provides Garchomp with lots of power that allows it to tear throw teams more easily.

Your togekiss set doesn't really work in this meta, I would suggest something like this

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SDef
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Tailwind
- Air Slash
- Protect

EVs let you survive Iron Head from Bisharp. Follow Me redirects moves to Togekiss so your teammate doesn't get hit, and Tailwind is also useful for doubling your team's speed. Air Slash is a general good attack that flinches 60 percent of the time, and protect let's you dodge attacks and lets your teammate get a hit on the threat.

I suggest Bug Bite and Protect over X Scissor and Roost on Scizor. Bug Bite with Technician is stronger than X Scissor by 10 base power so it is more powerful. It's hard to find opportunities to Roost in Doubles, and Protect is just valuable as Scizor can avoid Fire attacks while it's teammate can take out the troublesome fire type. That's just an example, as Protect is useful in many other situations too.

Defensive Venesaur is cool and I never saw it before. I am interested in seeing how it would work out, so I would not make any changes to it other than putting Protect over Synthesis for the same reason as Scizor. I would probably change it to Amoonguss but it is worth a try

Scrafty is perfect, no changes needed

Good luck!
Great reply and thank you! Good changes to togekiss, garchomp, scizor, and Manectric. The venusaur is a little different but pays off a lot on PS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)