Announcement Necrozma-Dawn-Wings Suspect Test (Necrozma-Dawn-Wings Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KineSquared

Ubers UU Founder
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
More room tours will be held for the suspect role this weekend. One will be at 5pm GMT-0 on saturday (noon est), and the other will be 10pm est on sunday, 3am gmt-0 on monday. These will be the last room tours! Once again we will ping the room tour role in discord. Cheers!

I started the suspect period as one of the few in the ´´Do not Ban`` camp, as it´s fairly reliant on tera to sweep and Dark coverage can be easily slapped onto common and powerful pokemon such as Great Tusk and Zacian, but during it I have come to appreciate it´s power.

Although I still think that NDW´s power level is not so high the tier completely revolved around it, I will be voting ban because I think it has become a net negative presence on the tier, encouraging a lot of risky prediction around tera, which can instantly end the game for both sides, and encourages TR HO. Even on nominally bad matchups it will usually be able to at least trade 1 for 1 unless you catch it on the switch. It will be a shame to lose this offensively oriented spin blocker though.

If at any point tera ended up being banned or somehow restricted, I feel like NDW could probably be unbanned, at least it would be necessary to retest it.

KineSquared

Ubers UU Founder
1706501156181.png

Maybe in a poetic fashion. I (KineSquared) qualified in the last suspect tour! Sad to see the finals be a DQ, but that's the nature of timezones. Reminder that you still have tomorrow to get the reqs!

Last edited:

KineSquared

Ubers UU Founder
To continue the conversation, I'd like to present the reasons I will be voting to ban unless i see any extremely convincing arguments or points of logic between now and the official count

1. The centralization NDW has on the meta.
Ever since the zekrom ban, and number 1 thought in teambuilding is "how am I going to handle NDW?" Most people handle it with stuff like arc-dark, spectrier, or kingambit. More niche options exist like arc-fighting or even great tusk as some people say, but to me it is the clear number 1 teambuidling consideration. Not what style of gameplay you want, not what wincon you want, but how to beat NDW. This is as opposed to current 'mons like palkia-o, chi-yu, and palafin that demand answers, but they're not so centralizing that you have to think of it first and foremost. In addition, you really need to think of two different pokes: pre and post tera NDW. This is a problem many 'mons like palafin or palkia origin do not have (stuff like arceus does for example) and is absolutely worth taking into consideration. This is a tera meta, and it makes NDW even more terrifying.

2. The meta could be better, and NDW is making it worse
I think the december Ubers UU metagame was actually so good. Every playstyle was viable, and there were well-defined structures, threats, and responses to threats. It was a centralized meta for sure, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. This meta seems to have games that end in 14-18 turns or involve stall. A big part of this is NDW TR HO, but this is not the only reason. However, I see an NDW ban as a trick room nerf which would be a major benefit to slowing down the meta and opening it up to other 'mons and options.

3. The voice of the people
I see part of my job to accurately represent what the community is feeling, moreso than the people who qualify and are only here to represent themselves and their own opinion. The survey results suggested otherwise, which is quite confusing but should be noted, but the clear consensus in discord and PS chats is that players are sick of NDW and don't want it to stay. It has too many sets, too much versatility, and with tera there are no reliable answers. In my experience, the active/vocal community want it gone.

4. We are not Ubers
Nor are we OU. Our tiering is somewhere in the middle and a little adjacent to both, just like the rest of the tier. Most people agree zekrom clearly needed to go, but skymin? That was banned for non-competitive reasons as opposed to meta-warping brokeness. It's my personal opinion that Ubers would never ban a skymin-esque pokemon, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't. At the same time, It's clear that OU-strictness of tiering would hurt more than it helps. The community is partially formed out of those who think OU banned to much, and "broken-checks-broken" is not a binary off-on switch. Levels of balance can be found within the chaos, and I think we're riding that line quite well. That being said, I can confidently stand behind the NDW ban while also remaining steadfast that we are NOT treating this tier like OU.

Last edited:
i will vote ban, mainly because this metagame is really unfun with it, at least for me, as a trick room player, NDW is simply too centralizing and it makes Terastalizing outside of it not really worth it, the playstyle i love is stagnant and set in stone, niche options are worse and really restrains teambuilding, it also simply outclasses many mons who'd be great without it, such as Arceus-Psychic and Lugia and it can beat almost anything with the correct set/tera type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)