SM OU My 1st Competitive Team

Introduction

So this is my first ever post which I've done like this but seen as I've been getting into this lately I thought I'd give it a shot. So originally I just started off using peoples teams from here and trying to tweak them to improve but then decided I'm going to dedicate some time to create my own team. So the basis of this team is Mimikyu I'll explain why later on but I'd just like to say I am only now just getting into Pokemon and understanding the depths which it goes into, so if I make any nooby mistakes I'm sorry. Plz forgive xD.

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
Mimikyu is the Pokemon which I have chosen to build this team around as I came up against one late game and got absolutely destroyed. Swords Dance allows Mimikyu to boost its Attack stat. Shadow Sneak makes up for Mimikyu's low Speed and is used to revenge kill faster threats. Play Rough is Mimikyu's strongest move, hitting Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Zygarde for massive damage. Finally, Shadow Claw has nearly perfect neutral coverage with Play Rough and can hit Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Celesteela, Gengar, and Heatran.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Knock Off
Scizor was another Pokemon which I wanted to use which I came up against and was destroyed by. With Mega Scizor I aim to weaken the opposing team before sweeping with say Mimikyu in the right situation. Curse boosts Mega Scizor's Attack and Defense by one stage, which lets it effectively check Pokemon that can boost their stats as well, like Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Zygarde.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam
I chose Greninja to try and counter Fire types which threaten my Scizor and Magnezone. Hydro Pump is Greninja's strongest attack, dealing heavy damage to neutral targets and being capable of pressuring bulky Pokemon once Greninja has transformed. Dark Pulse deals neutral or super effective damage to common Pokemon that resist Water-type moves such as Toxapex, Ferrothorn, and Latios. After Battle Bond has activated, Water Shuriken becomes a brutally strong priority move that puts offensive teams under immense pressure while also acting as a more accurate alternative to Hydro Pump versus weakened neutral targets and Pokemon weak to Water.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 152 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost
- Knock Off
I chose Gliscor as a sort of utility/staller. (I say staller because the amount of heal bells I run into is ridiculous) Anyway, this is a pretty common set used apart from the toxic. I chose to add this on as I didn't really feel the need for a toxapex instead and after using this team for a while, Gliscor has been my favourite pokemon to use in battle

Hoopa-Unbound @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
Next up I added Hoopa. This was so I had some dark/psychic coverage as my team was really lacking anything on that end apart from Greninja. Nasty Plot is an effective setup move that allows Hoopa-U to break through its normal checks and threaten to sweep through balanced teams altogether. Dark Pulse is a strong, reliable STAB move with very few sturdy switch-ins in OU and can decimate the vast majority of balanced teams bar one or two Pokemon. Psychic is a solid secondary STAB move that can hit Dark-type switch-ins such as Mega Lopunny and Keldeo while also hitting Toxapex significantly harder. Focus Blast is an excellent coverage move that allows Hoopa-U to hit Dark-types like Tyranitar that would otherwise wall this set.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
This is where I had the most trouble, finding a reliable sixth pokemon. Whilst experimenting I came up against this set Magnezone and my Scizor was useless. The use of his ability magnet pull against other steel types and then HP fire is a great combination. Thunderbolt is Magnezone's primary STAB move to use against Celesteela and Skarmory. When foes that are resistant or immune to it are eliminated, it can do a decent amount of damage thanks to Magnezone's stellar Special Attack. Volt Switch completes the set to allow Magnezone to keep up momentum provided, of course, it isn't used against an opposing Ground-type. Volt Switch is a great move to use in the event that you predict a foe that resists Electric will switch into Magnezone such as Tangrowth or Mega Venusaur.

Conclusion

Thank you for taking the time to read about my team sorry if it bored you xD. I'm aware that my team can probably be countered by so more things than I can imagine so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also please point out anything I am clearing doing wrong, it can only help me : )
Thanks,
Papa D.

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Knock Off

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 152 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost
- Knock Off

Hoopa-Unbound @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Magician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

I read your team, here's my thoughts.
Mimikyu- Looks great, nm to say.
Scizor- It seems like hes there to check offensive fire weakness, so maybe running hp fire instead of knock would work out.
Grenigga- nm p good.
Gliscor- Change out knock off for stealth rock.
Hoopa-U- Really good set, big fan.
Magnezone- This might sound real biased, but magnezone imo loses his full potential in not using specs analytic. Since you have scizor as your steel counter if you give it hp fire, I'd change magnezone to this set:
Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Signal Beam/Hpfire or whatever
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
Otherwise, great team!

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I've only ever used the Magnezone with the magnet pull but I'll for sure give this set a go as well and let you know how it gets on : )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)