Other Most overhyped or underated aspect this gen so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Over-reaction much? I was trying to be helpful.
Oh, well... Excuse me for killing your bunnies and poisoning your garden, my good sir.
You can be helpful by taking the time to read the threads that you're posting in.

This is a problem that's really starting to grate on me. People never read the damn thread, and we end up repeating ourselves thrice just because some lazy person didn't care to read the post directly above theirs. How the hell can you properly contribute to a discussion if you haven't read it??

I feel that Greninja was overhyped the most, when comparing the ratio of hype and actual worth. The frog is so frail that it's KOed by pretty much anything. Its power is impressive, but it's walled by a lot of common Pokemon, and suffers 4MSS.

The problem is that nobody is using it well, IMO. I can't tell you how many lead Greninjas just sit there and take my Breloom's Mach Punch for... some reason. I have no idea what's going on there. I never really have a problem with it because it's easily walled, and far too vulnerable to priority.

I suspect that Greninja is one of those Pokemon that is hard to use properly because of its fragility (Mega Absol), but seems like an easy to use hyper offense sweeper, which leads to people being too cavalier with the thing. IMO Greninja has a lot of potential, but I haven't really seen it.

For example, I think that a physical set has some merit. Water Shuriken is better than people think, and Banded Protean U-turns pack surprising power. Night Slash, Waterfall, Shadow Sneak, ect. are all great moves with STAB, and setting up Spikes on a Choiced Rotom-W using Volt Switch is hilarious.

Last edited:
Greninja's problem right now is the same one that SD Aegislash had: the one set people bother running on it is too predictable and extremely easy to abuse Protean with. Right now all I have to do is bait the Ice Beam with a low-health Pokemon that's going to die anyway, and I can easily revenge-kill with a now super-effective Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, or Vacuum Wave. I think Greninja will be much better once people start seeing how versatile he is. The Choice Band set listed above is a good example.

Over-rated.
defog
Momentum issues aside, because I am almost certain that that has already been mentioned, most of the pokemon who learn it has something limiting its overall usefulness. Skarmory with defog suffers from 4mss, you give up either an attacking move making it total taunt bait, roost, phazing or your own hazard, all things that skarmory would rather be doing. Empoleon and flygon are both mediocre pokes in general. Crobat and mandibuzz who both have the issue of being weak to the hazard they are trying to blow away. ( for reference Armaldo and torkoal can use rapid spin but they were NU for a damn good reason: the same reason) Why not use a spinner which ghost types can't risk switching into?
And on that note
Under-rated
Mega Blastoise
An offensive tank who can spin with decent all-around stats backed up by an amazing ability that grants a stab on dark pulse, combined with a special attack stat to rival alakazam and good bulk, and a tailor-made movepool to make use of mega launcher, add scald for burn chance, and you get a spinblocker that can easily rival excadrill in terms of overall usefulness and effectiveness in battle. Uninvested, its special attack reaches the same as a maximum +spatk base 90 which is nothing to say when invested. Fully invested Dark Pulse is a guaranteed 2hko on max specially defensive jellicent after one layer of hazards, which is nothing to say about any frailer souls who try to tank a hit from it in general. (max 50.9 - 60.3 according to the PS calculator) As long as you can take care of its usual checks like rotom and azumarill, then it sure to carry its weight and provide fantastic offensive support. Why people fail to realize that its actually decent despite it taking up a megaslot is beyond me. In comparison to excadrill it has equal offensive presence but a better synergetic typing and bulk. It's not an uber level threat like other certain megas, (cough ZarX cough Pinsir) but its a generally a really good poke that more often that not carries its weight.

I do think Defog is overhyped, as using it basically mean you're unable to use your own entry hazards, unless you don't mind removing the hazards that you worked so hard to set, as well as also being stopped by Taunt. The only things Defog has over Rapid Spin is that it doesn't get spin blocked, doesn't have to worry about Iron Barbs/Rough Skin, can remove screens, and lowers evasion.

I personally feel Mega Kangaskahn (MK) is very overhyped. Maybe its just because I tend to craft teams that happen to counter it, but none of my well over 30 teams I've set up for Pokebank OU with my friend for testing this gen have had substantial trouble dealing with MK. Granted, MK is a -very- good pick and I do consider it one of the better megas but I don't feel it's Uber or even close - especially considering Genesect is not Uber anymore. Then again, I feel the same way about Blaziken (non mega) but I'm starting to digress. Many pokemon that I commonly run simply shut down MK (which may be why I feel the way I feel) such as Conkeldurr, Breloom, and Scizor. Again - it could be my playstyle but I'm just not seeing the team-sweeping unstoppable force that some people claim MK to be.

I think Mega Charizard Y is a bit of an underdog. Charizard X is a brutal physical attacker, sure, and its typing is excellent. But Charizard Y packs one heck of a powerful fire blast/overheat that lets it break through a lot of walls, is quite fast, and has solid bulk so as long as stealth rock isn't up. With access to solarbeam and automatic sun, you can counter both sand and rain teams by simulataneously winning weather and having access to solarbeam. Charizard X may be an overall better pick in most scenarios, Charizard Y can serve a team that already has the physical attackers it needs and provide a very interesting toolset to deal with a wide range of threats -and- can even pack a physical attack in tow for Blissey or another special wall.

I have a serious question, why the hell is Manaphy so underrated?? I use a team with Manaphy Magnezone and 4 fillers and I won every battle with Manaphy sweeping, not like 90% of the battles. 100%. Always always always.

The set I'm running is simple, too. Tail Glow Surf Ice Beam Energy ball full speed fulll special timid and finally wacan berry.
Did I miss some obvious counter or something? This thing has 100/100/100 bulk just to remind you
Yes, you forgot Focus Sash and Prior move. Sturdy Aron with Shell Bell. Or even F.E.A.R can tear you.
And 0 EV, even with the base of 100. Talonflame still can hurt you a lot, or OHKO after a Sword Dance. Future Sight Espeon can cut you in half too.

Base Speed 100 is not that hard to outspeed.

Personally I can't help but think that Aegilash is overhyped at the current moment since people usually carry a counter to check it such as gliscor, mandibuzz which severely limits it's sweeping capabilities not to mention to amount of people in showdown that use it incorrectly, expecting it to sweep through teams without the proper support. To put in another way, he is a double edge sword (pun intended!), since with the right amount of team support and prediction it can sweep through current unprepared teams with ease but unfortunately it is walled by many Pokemon and people often mispredict using it and this normally results in his death.

On the other hand I think that an incredibly underrated Pokemon in this gen is Bisharp, which has a unique good defensive typing, good stats, it doesn't have to worry anymore of steel pokemon walling him because his dark stab has improved and his steel typing hits fairies incredibly hard, he’s a great user of knock off and swords dance...

He also gained some indirect buffs in the form of the falling of many fighting types due to the new fairy type, which was the reason of his downfall in BW. Also the new move stick web makes his ability defiant incredibly useful since it gets a free attack boost each time its switches in.

I don't think Char Y is much of an underdog. I've honestly seen more of those than Char X, which makes sense because it has a distinct role as a weather abuser that brings its own weather where Char X is a setup sweeper that we've all seen before, he just trades in his dragon weaknesses in exchange for classic fire weaknesses bar water.

And Char Y's movepool is wide enough that picking a switch in is hard.

Personally I can't help but think that Aegilash is overhyped at the current moment since people usually carry a counter to check it such as gliscor, mandibuzz which severely limits it's sweeping capabilities not to mention to amount of people in showdown that use it incorrectly, expecting it to sweep through teams without the proper support. To put in another way, he is a double edge sword (pun intended!), since with the right amount of team support and prediction it can sweep through current unprepared teams with ease but unfortunately it is walled by many Pokemon and people often mispredict using it and this normally results in his death.
Aegislash as setup sweeper is definitely overrated. Aegislash as mixed wallbreaker can be quite unpredictable as Ghost/Fight/Steel is decent enough coverage. It definitely runs on the strength of your prediction, but is that not a good thing? It's strong but not foolproof, foolproof pokes tend to get kicked upstairs more often than not.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
PSA: You are allowed to talk about Mega Kangaskhan in this thread because the title says "so far." However, please, please, please refrain from putting it in the "overhyped" section of your post. All it does is attract flaming. The pro-ban vote was overwhelming and it's gone already. If you plan on posting about how Mega Khan was overhyped, don't be surprised when your post gets deleted. Stop beating the dead marsupial already.

I have a serious question, why the hell is Manaphy so underrated?? I use a team with Manaphy Magnezone and 4 fillers and I won every battle with Manaphy sweeping, not like 90% of the battles. 100%. Always always always.

The set I'm running is simple, too. Tail Glow Surf Ice Beam Energy ball full speed fulll special timid and finally wacan berry.
Did I miss some obvious counter or something? This thing has 100/100/100 bulk just to remind you
Mega Venusaur counters your Manaphy. Faster mons, powerful Scarfers, and stuff like CB Talonflame check it well. Pink blobs wall it and Toxic stall it to death.

I dont think it's manaphy who is underrated, but I've noticed on Showdown that people like using mons they can easily get within the game. Manaphy is a godsend gift.

Sticky web doesn't suck in itself. What sucks is that you either have to run galvantula or smeargle to use it. If skarmory or tyranitar got it, it would be used much more often
I absolutely agree with this. Sticky Web would probably be great if people ran a Galvantula set in such a way as to not emphasize getting it up immediately regardless of whether or not it's a good idea. If there's nothing worth Sticky Webbing, don't bother using it that match. Galvantula still has fast, powerful moves to hit with, as well as VoltTurning capabilities.

Galvantula as a whole is probably underrated, though not for those dumb suicide-lead sets that are everywhere. Sticky Web can make or break a match, but not if it isn't used well.

On the other hand, Smeargle is overrated, at least by newer players. It's easy to counter and, so long as you're careful when facing it, will often go down without accomplishing much of anything. It's stellar movepool doesn't quite make up for his crap stats and low speed.

"Here, have a Thunder" works well enough when Excadrill isn't on the table. Leading with Galvantula is usually a bad idea, but getting it in after the fact is also fiendishly difficult due to taking any kind of neutral hit poorly.

So I think it'll stay niche at best.

On the other hand, Smeargle is overrated, at least by newer players. It's easy to counter and, so long as you're careful when facing it, will often go down without accomplishing much of anything. It's stellar movepool doesn't quite make up for his crap stats and low speed.
I agree. Lead of with something faster that can U-turn/Volt switch into a grass/overcoater and he's pretty much useless. A staple to have on OU anyway tbh.

Sticky web doesn't suck in itself. What sucks is that you either have to run galvantula or smeargle to use it. If skarmory or tyranitar got it, it would be used much more often
yes sticky web in and of itself isn't bad, but when it has one user which isn't particularly good sticky web is something you will see approximately never, and it's not going to make a single pokemon more viable that before it existed

Manaphy's been banned since Gen 4, and it doesn't have big scary stats like Darkrai, Skymin or a cover legend.

I swear there is a "with sticky web support" in every god damn thread about every god damn pokemon

sticky web sucks!
Not just that you're limited to a handful of semi-useful Pokemon, as opposed to Stealth Rock which fucking Blissey and Garchomp can use, but also that there is a large number of flying/levitating threats that it won't affect.

For Mega Heracross, a single speed drop is enough to bump most Pokemon down to his level... but he's SOL against Lati@s. And Charizard-Y.

When I was trying to use Sticky Web, that's the biggest problem I had with it. Between all the Fliers, levitators, priority users and thing that don't really care about their speed, it didn't really help. Tailwind is a much better option, since it doesn't depend on what your opposing team has, and if your "it would be good with higher speed!" Pokemon can't do damage in the few turns of Tailwind it gets, it's probably not actually that good.

Not just that you're limited to a handful of semi-useful Pokemon, as opposed to Stealth Rock which fucking Blissey and Garchomp can use, but also that there is a large number of flying/levitating threats that it won't affect.

For Mega Heracross, a single speed drop is enough to bump most Pokemon down to his level... but he's SOL against Lati@s. And Charizard-Y.

When I was trying to use Sticky Web, that's the biggest problem I had with it. Between all the Fliers, levitators, priority users and thing that don't really care about their speed, it didn't really help. Tailwind is a much better option, since it doesn't depend on what your opposing team has, and if your "it would be good with higher speed!" Pokemon can't do damage in the few turns of Tailwind it gets, it's probably not actually that good.
That's the entire point I was trying to make about Galvantula. He can do other stuff. He's not the best, but if you see it's not going to be super useful to put up Sticky Web, don't worry about it.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To everyone who's said Defog is overrated-- no. Just no.

Defog is just way too useful, and way too well distributed to be overrated; if anything, I'd say it has a greater impact than expected. Spikes users are basically gone. One-shot-SR leads are all but extinct too (or else their teams aren't particularly reliant on SR). Defog is unblockable by any switch-in, removes hazards AND SCREENS.

The Screen removal really pushes its utility over the edge because let's face it, Brick Break sucks balls. All this combined with its availability on really good Pokemon like Skarmory, Gliscor, Mandibuzz (stop giving this thing crap), Latios/Latias, and Mega Scizor adds up to some really impressive performance.

It's not blockable but it also has a distinct and unique drawback: it trips Defiant. This is much less of a problem for offensive carriers of it such as the Lati twins and Gliscor, but Skarmory and Mandibuzz very much will not appreciate a +2 Bisharp in their face, even if they have Whirlwind in their set.

And in any case Mandi has one of the worst cases of 4MSS I've seen yet.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^Of course tripping Defiant (and Competitive I guess?) is an issue, but it's a small one compared to its utility. Defog Skarm is best as kind of a suicide Poke foregoing Roost to just make some smart pivots and while trying to get up SR and take out their hazards. Having to cut its time a bit shorter due to the ocassional need to take a +2 Knock Out to the face is a small cost to pay for Defog's utility. Mandibuzz will hate losing leftovers, but is utherwise mostly unfazed.

Actually the Lati twins have much bigger issues with Bisharp for obvious reasons...

Bisharp is a pretty good poke this meta, but Defog is part of what MAKES IT GOOD. Bisharp alone is not a presence that makes Defog bad... lol

I'll admit that Foul Play Mandi actually can ward off Bisharp if it strikes on the switch instead of fogging, speed investment favors Bisharp after fogging. (2HKO with Iron Head through leftovers)

So I was somewhat wrong on the whole.

That said, how bout dat Gliscor?

EDIT: deleted stuff about Latios because honestly that was just stupid conjecture on my part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)