Other Most overhyped or underated aspect this gen so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noivern is fast. Really, really fast. It outspeeds pretty much all revelant non-Scarfers in OU, although HP Ice Jolteon is still a problem. Infiltrator lets it revenge mons from behind Subs with Draco Meteor, Frisk lets it scout for items, which is good in conjunction with Switcheroo. Noivern is not a purely offensive mon. Latios and Noivern are doing entirely different things with their Specs Draco Meteors really.

Noivern also has U-Turn to scout some more.
Yeah, and that's why I'm thinking that Life Orb is the better option for it. Being able to U-Turn about as you please, tossing Draco Meteors and Hurricanes about is really good, but Specs locking into a single attack means that you aren't scouting anymore, you're trying to smash things, which isn't Noivern's forte.

Overhyped

Power-Up Punch - I don't get it. It works on Mom, and to a lesser extent Tech Breloom, but I've seen people use it over Swords Dance and I just can't fathom why. The passive damage is mostly negligible, and you're better off SDing + attacking rather than PuP then attacking. Not a good move. It only works on a select number of Pokemon.

Assault Vest - This is a bulky offense item, not a defensive one. It allows you to add to a strength (Goodra, Ttar) or patch up a weakness (Conkeldurr). It doesn't work or is too gimmicky for much else. AV Blissey. Yes, I've actually seen this. What the hell, man. People just seem to want to slap this on anything without knowing the purpose of doing so.

Greninja - Solid OU 'mon and this is a case of shiny new toy syndrome more than anything else. Shouldn't be top 3 in usage, though this will probably settle down.

---

Under hyped

Mega Blastoise - it's too bad he's a second tier mega otherwise people would be all over it. Spinner who can decimate spin blockers; sign me up. I get why he's not seeing much use, but this 'mon is really, really good.

Mega Pinsir - doesn't pull off sweeps with the ease of Luke or Megazard and also has crap defensive typing, but with good speed, excellent priority, good ability to take neutral hits, and holy crap 198 base power attack with zero draw backs, Pinsir shouldn't get lost in the shuffle. It's among the best sweepers in the hypothetical OU.

Noivern - not a great Pokemon, per se, but I don't think it should slip down to UU. Specs set is mostly outclassed IMO, though Noivern's move pool and good enough SAtk still allows it to be an offensive threat otherwise, and there's still that super fast Switcheroo and access to moves like Taunt and U-Turn.

Some more under-rated things that I would like to make note of:
Mega Pinsir: Aerialate boosted stab returns , combined with a brilliant movepool to complement it with gems such as close combat and earthquake and it is certainly threatening. Add swords dance, and decent 105 speed, and all of a sudden you have a monster that tears holes through teams way too damn easily. Imho, Pinsirite should be banned in the same vein of kangaskhanite but this is not the time to discuss that.
Diggersby: Shofu's meme apparently cursed diggersby to the charizard syndrome where everybody and their mother automatically thinks it outclassed just because of how popular it is. Azumarill does not outclass diggersby in the slightest because although it has a better defensive typing, diggersby has access to more powerful stab moves like earthquake and return coupled with a higer attack stat, higher speed making a choice scarf set viable, more setup moves like agility and swords dance, access to u-turn and spikes all in all making it more versatile than azumarill who can only use belly drum or choice band

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think we get the idea. This thread isn't going anywhere... maybe we can try this again a few months down the road if things change a lot! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)