Monster Mafia Postgame

This question is actually controversial, as usually in smogon games kidnap is just a buffed hook (added silence). However after metroid prime mafia experimented with a low-priority kidnapper (hated decision) nobody knows a set "standard" for it's priority, making it more of a decision of the host than an universally applicable principle.
First serious post in many weeks, I presume?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
How about stop using kidnapper.

It is just a combination of three other abilities. Why would you include it unless you were combining other abilities to make new ones? The fact that you have to play with another flawed system, priority, to make it balanced only shows how flawed kidnap really is.

How about stop using kidnapper.

It is just a combination of three other abilities. Why would you include it unless you were combining other abilities to make new ones? The fact that you have to play with another flawed system, priority, to make it balanced only shows how flawed kidnap really is.
Kidnap isn't that bad. It's a combination of 1 good role (silencer) 1 nerfed power role (hook) and 1 absolutely useless role (night silence). You could call it playing with the priority of it, or you could just say it no longer hooks the night it's used.

2nd of all, priority isn't as flawed as you make out to be, but i agree that is isn't perfect. However, it is necessary. While a hooker and martyr need equal priority, priority is necessary in many other cases. Is thief or inspect higher in priority? For this game, it was necessary to know, because if someone stole the wolf band and was inspected on the same night, priority would decide whether their inspection result was a wolf. Also, kill priority is necessary. Lastly, Kidnap priority is necessary. Just because you have to change something to balance a role doesn't mean you shouldn't be using it in the first place.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
You shouldn't be using it because its a combination of roles, and it's not a nerfed hook in most cases, and you forgot that it prevents the target from being targeted. It's a super role, and it only really fits in games where you combine other roles.

If you want to use a silencer, use a silencer. If you want to use a hooker, use a hooker. No part of kidnapper shouldn't be used in mafia, its just not a novel role or a balanced one.

You shouldn't be using it because its a combination of roles, and it's not a nerfed hook in most cases, and you forgot that it prevents the target from being targeted. It's a super role, and it only really fits in games where you combine other roles.

If you want to use a silencer, use a silencer. If you want to use a hooker, use a hooker. No part of kidnapper shouldn't be used in mafia, its just not a novel role or a balanced one.
No, that's why priority is lower in it. Ever since a thread in the office of strategic influence that went up a month or 2 ago, it HAS always been a nerfed hook, not an actual hook.

von, the only time i've ever seen a kidnap that both hooks and stops from being targeted on the night of the kidnap too is in ROTK.

If you want a silencer, use a silencer, if you want a hooker, use a hooker. If you want a more powerful role (not all roles are created equal btw) then use kidnapper. They are all valid.

EDIT: If you want to argue about whether kidnappers should exist or not, do it in the kidnapper thread. This is a postgame thread

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Just because someone made a thread about it doesn't mean everyone thought it was a good idea. Metroid Prime is the only other game I can think of with a nerfed hook, and you yourself said that didn't go over well. Every game with a kidnap I've ever played hooked and protected from night actions, including Fallout 3 and the self kidnap in Dude.

Not all roles are created equal? Sure, but not all roles are smashed up chimeras that caught on solely for flavor purposes. If you truly want a role to be more powerful, than use kidnap (and don't nerf it if that's what you're really trying to do). But if you're just trying to have each role be novel then you can do better than kidnapper.

I don't know why you're being so defensive about this. You didn't make up kidnapper and you're one of every host to use it (including me). But its just three roles and no one is obligated to include. Which solves all problems involving balancing it. Just think about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)