ORAS PU Monkeys, Dogs and Pigs HO

Introduction:

I've recently gained interest in the PU tier. It is quite diverse with a nice variety of different mons to experiment with, using unique sets; a fun tier all in all. I'm not the best when it comes to competitive battling but I threw together a HO team.

Team at Glance:

In-Depth Look:

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Trick - Will-O-Wisp

I made this team around Rotom-Frost, which is gaining alot of usage in PU recently. Timid Nature with Scarf allows Rotom-Frost to outspeed the entire PU Meta. Thunderbolt is STAB and does good damage to things that don't resist it, often cleaning up weakened teams. Blizzard hits everything that Thunderbolt doesnt, giving perfect nuetral coverage with it. Volt Switch provides with momentum, doing good damage. Finally Will-O-Wisp is used to punish Physical threats more reliably. Rotom-Frost provides the team with speed, and late game cleaning up potential, forcing out a lot of switches.

(Golem) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Since Rotom-Frost is forcing switches it'd be nice to have rocks on the team, thus I chose Golem. Stone Edge and Earthquake provide neutral coverage and hit decently hard. Sucker punch provides with priority picking up weakened foes. Golem provides as an offensive check to few threats thus used on this team, mainly physical attackers that lack a way to hurt Golem. Weakness policy in combination with sturdy and common weaknesses come together nicely.

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Ice Beam
- Scald

The Team originally had Simipour, but Politoed seemed to help out better with opposing offensive water types, Scald + Hydro STAB, along side Specs they dish out good damage, Ice Beam provides with coverage, hitting things that resist its water STAB, Finally HP Electric to deal with opposing water types more reliably over Focus Blast.

(Stoutland) @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Facade
- Pursuit

I have Banded Soutland on this team to go along with Simipour. Stoutland can hit things that would trouble Simipour; Specially Defensive Audino/Lickilicky, Politoed and the like. Return is a nice STAB that has high power and no Draw backs, its spammable along side Scrappy. Superpower hits things that would resist Return. Facade is there to do damage after getting burned. Pursuit can punish mons switching out that would otherwise not stay in on Stoutland. Banded to give the most damage output.

Grumpig @ Leftovers Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball

With the rising popularity of Rotom-Frost I wanted to put Grumpig on this team. Grumpig also helps with RP Regice, something the team is weak to. Psychic is its main form of STAB, Focus Blast hits the Steel and Dark types of the tier, Thunder Wave is nice to cripple some fast threats, and lastly I have Shadow Ball which hits opposing Psychic types. The given EV spread outspeeds Adamant Stoutland and Adamant Ferno.

Jumpluff
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder

Jumpluff helps cleaning up late game due to its good speed. Acrobatics and Seed Bomb are much needed STAB moves, They have nice coverage together. I have Swords Dance for Sweeping potential once key threats have been taken care of. Sleep Powder can put things to sleep which can allow Jumpluff to set up and sweep, and be annoying in General.
Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Facade
- Pursuit

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Jumpluff
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb

Last edited:

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Hi SpecsMegaBeedrill, cool HO team you got there, despite the offensive nature of the team, it still isn't weak to many threats, so there isn't much to edit here. There's just few things to notice here: in the OP you said you carry Weakness Policy Golem, while the import says you run Custap Berry. I usually dig Weakness Policy more on Golem, and this is one situation where I would run it over Custap Berry, as at times you might want to preserve Golem due to its useful Electric-type immunity, given you don't have much for Electrics other than that, and synergyses well with Jumpluff, so running something more suicidal such as Custap looks more detrimental and risky than Weakness Policy here. Then, an issue I found with this team was the lack of switch-ins into Dark-type coverage, mainly Pawniard, which can spam Knock Off freely and set up on some of your Pokemon, such as Rotom-F locked into Blizzard, Stoutland locked into another unfavourable move, and while Grumpig outspeeds it, Pawniard still creates annoying 50/50s with Sucker Punch. Lastly, your two supposed switch-ins into Water-types, Jumpluff and Simipour, are really frail and get beaten quite easily by common coverage options carried by Water-types, in Hidden Power Electric, Grass Knot, and Ice Beam, so stuff like Floatzel can be an issue as not only your switch-ins into it are frail, but also because it outspeeds 5/6 of your team. These few issues can be fixed quite easily with the following changes:

Grumpig: Colbur Berry > Leftovers: Colbur Berry will help you hugely when facing stuff such as Pawniard and Mightyena. In fact, Colbur Berry will allow Grumpig to avoid annoying 50/50s situations with Sucker Punch which you would face when running Leftovers, letting Grumpig be a complete soft check to the aforementioned two Dark-types. This comes in hand because, as I already said above they threaten your team hugely, especially if they manage to gain set up opportunities, which at times they would get on Grumpig too. You lose out on little recovery, which is appreciated on Grumpig to keep checking Rotom-F and Monferno, letting it be a little more durable, but you honestly have to sacrifice it, otherwise Pawniard in particular is a pain the ass. Something else I can suggest you on Grumpig is running a 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe spread along with a Timid nature. This is Grumpig's most popular spread, since it allows Grumpig to outspeed Adamant Monferno and Adamant Stoutland. It would be useful for you mainly because if Golem faints nothing is really switching into Stoutland, which can tank some of Grumpig's teammates and outspeed Grumpig itself when not running the aforementioned spread. So, in this case, being able to outspeed and potentially revengekill it with Focus Blast is appreciated.

Choice Specs Politoed > Simipour: Politoed would help you greatly when facing Floatzel and opposing Simipour, as your own Simipour can't really switch into them, and is outpaced by Floatzel and ties with other Simipour / gets outpaced by Choice Scarf variants, making it a rather subpar answer to them. Choice Specs Politoed still helps against bulkier builds, also due to running Scald or Encore in the 4th slot, which can hugely annoy most bulky foes with burns / locking them in recovery or other unfavourable moves, while it can guarantee a switch into opposing Water-types due to Water Absorb. The loss of Speed can be annoying but Simipour was mostly useful against bulky foes, which are still slower than Politoed, and is still outpaced by most offensive powerhouses running around at the moment. Losing coverage such as Superpower also isn't an huge deal as Politoed would still be supported in breaking through special walls by Stoutland and Swords Dance Jumpluff. If you really mind the lack of speed, you can replace Simipour with Floatzel, which at least is faster, tying with opposing Floatzel and able to at least reliably check opposing Simipour.

Hope I helped
Politoed @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Scald / Encore

Hi SpecsMegaBeedrill, cool HO team you got there, despite the offensive nature of the team, it still isn't weak to many threats, so there isn't much to edit here. There's just few things to notice here: in the OP you said you carry Weakness Policy Golem, while the import says you run Custap Berry. I usually dig Weakness Policy more on Golem, and this is one situation where I would run it over Custap Berry, as at times you might want to preserve Golem due to its useful Electric-type immunity, given you don't have much for Electrics other than that, and synergyses well with Jumpluff, so running something more suicidal such as Custap looks more detrimental and risky than Weakness Policy here. Then, an issue I found with this team was the lack of switch-ins into Dark-type coverage, mainly Pawniard, which can spam Knock Off freely and set up on some of your Pokemon, such as Rotom-F locked into Blizzard, Stoutland locked into another unfavourable move, and while Grumpig outspeeds it, Pawniard still creates annoying 50/50s with Sucker Punch. Lastly, your two supposed switch-ins into Water-types, Jumpluff and Simipour, are really frail and get beaten quite easily by common coverage options carried by Water-types, in Hidden Power Electric, Grass Knot, and Ice Beam, so stuff like Floatzel can be an issue as not only your switch-ins into it are frail, but also because it outspeeds 5/6 of your team. These few issues can be fixed quite easily with the following changes:

Grumpig: Colbur Berry > Leftovers: Colbur Berry will help you hugely when facing stuff such as Pawniard and Mightyena. In fact, Colbur Berry will allow Grumpig to avoid annoying 50/50s situations with Sucker Punch which you would face when running Leftovers, letting Grumpig be a complete soft check to the aforementioned two Dark-types. This comes in hand because, as I already said above they threaten your team hugely, especially if they manage to gain set up opportunities, which at times they would get on Grumpig too. You lose out on little recovery, which is appreciated on Grumpig to keep checking Rotom-F and Monferno, letting it be a little more durable, but you honestly have to sacrifice it, otherwise Pawniard in particular is a pain the ass. Something else I can suggest you on Grumpig is running a 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe spread along with a Timid nature. This is Grumpig's most popular spread, since it allows Grumpig to outspeed Adamant Monferno and Adamant Stoutland. It would be useful for you mainly because if Golem faints nothing is really switching into Stoutland, which can tank some of Grumpig's teammates and outspeed Grumpig itself when not running the aforementioned spread. So, in this case, being able to outspeed and potentially revengekill it with Focus Blast is appreciated.

Choice Specs Politoed > Simipour: Politoed would help you greatly when facing Floatzel and opposing Simipour, as your own Simipour can't really switch into them, and is outpaced by Floatzel and ties with other Simipour / gets outpaced by Choice Scarf variants, making it a rather subpar answer to them. Choice Specs Politoed still helps against bulkier builds, also due to running Scald or Encore in the 4th slot, which can hugely annoy most bulky foes with burns / locking them in recovery or other unfavourable moves, while it can guarantee a switch into opposing Water-types due to Water Absorb. The loss of Speed can be annoying but Simipour was mostly useful against bulky foes, which are still slower than Politoed, and is still outpaced by most offensive powerhouses running around at the moment. Losing coverage such as Superpower also isn't an huge deal as Politoed would still be supported in breaking through special walls by Stoutland and Swords Dance Jumpluff. If you really mind the lack of speed, you can replace Simipour with Floatzel, which at least is faster, tying with opposing Floatzel and able to at least reliably check opposing Simipour.

Hope I helped
Politoed @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Scald / Encore
Ah yes, the Golem set was supposed to have Weakness Policy, All fixed now ty for catching that. I am in all agreement about changing Grumpig to Colbur, seeing as how Pawniard can be annoying to deal with at times. Specs Politoed would definitely be an interesting option on the team, recently I've seen rising usage in Poli, so its something I will be trying out and see how it preforms on the team, Thanks Raiza for the suggestions.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey nice team, its refreshing to see good HO teams on the ladder.

The team is already looking very good, and there aren't many obvious weaknesses, other than possibly Water-types (which you can beat between rotom, grumpig, and jumpluff) and I guess Pawniard if you have slept something and some of the rest of your team has been warn down. To fix the latter issue, I think you should run Will-o-Wisp on Rotom, as between Stoutland, Jumpluff, and even Golem you have a nice enough matchup vs Audino, so you don't lose much with that change.

The only other suggestion I am going to make is that you should consider running Floatzel over Simipour. Stoutland and Jumpluff provide a lot of wallbreaking support, and Knock Off isn't too crucial as Vullaby isn't switching in on Simipour, Clefairy isn't too common and you have many teammates to overwhelm it like Stoutland. Floatzel provides more Speed which is surprisingly helpful despite you having Rotom-f and Jumpluff, as not only does it give an extreme back up check to raichu and jumpluff if rotom-f misses a Blizzard, but it also gives you a more reliable way to revenge kill Pokemon such as Rapidash and Ursaring, which at high healths can possibly hurt your team. With Baton Pass it also provides free entry for Jumpluff to set up or Stoutland to start breaking walls for common Roselia/Politoed switch ins, or Ice Punch can be used if you are scared of Roselia setting up hazards, however the rest of the team has a good matchup vs it. With that change the old Grumpig spread and item might be nicer to help check mons like Mr Mime and opposing Rotom-f, and you have enough ways to check the mons timid Grumpig outspeeds (whereas Raiza suggests politoed which provides more special bulk to the team).

Rotom-f
Trick --> Will-o-Wisp

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Baton Pass
HP Grass and Choice specs are both an option on this too

Hope I helped!

Hey nice team, its refreshing to see good HO teams on the ladder.

The team is already looking very good, and there aren't many obvious weaknesses, other than possibly Water-types (which you can beat between rotom, grumpig, and jumpluff) and I guess Pawniard if you have slept something and some of the rest of your team has been warn down. To fix the latter issue, I think you should run Will-o-Wisp on Rotom, as between Stoutland, Jumpluff, and even Golem you have a nice enough matchup vs Audino, so you don't lose much with that change.

The only other suggestion I am going to make is that you should consider running Floatzel over Simipour. Stoutland and Jumpluff provide a lot of wallbreaking support, and Knock Off isn't too crucial as Vullaby isn't switching in on Simipour, Clefairy isn't too common and you have many teammates to overwhelm it like Stoutland. Floatzel provides more Speed which is surprisingly helpful despite you having Rotom-f and Jumpluff, as not only does it give an extreme back up check to raichu and jumpluff if rotom-f misses a Blizzard, but it also gives you a more reliable way to revenge kill Pokemon such as Rapidash and Ursaring, which at high healths can possibly hurt your team. With Baton Pass it also provides free entry for Jumpluff to set up or Stoutland to start breaking walls for common Roselia/Politoed switch ins, or Ice Punch can be used if you are scared of Roselia setting up hazards, however the rest of the team has a good matchup vs it. With that change the old Grumpig spread and item might be nicer to help check mons like Mr Mime and opposing Rotom-f, and you have enough ways to check the mons timid Grumpig outspeeds (whereas Raiza suggests politoed which provides more special bulk to the team).

Rotom-f
Trick --> Will-o-Wisp

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Baton Pass
HP Grass and Choice specs are both an option on this too

Hope I helped!
Thanks alot Anty for your suggestions! Usually when I see the opponent has a Rapidash I usually keep Golem healthy which can to an extent deal with it, as for Ursaring, usually with rocks and poison damage racking T-bolt manages to pick it off, but I'll try out Floatzel over Simi aswell (Currently Poli is doing well), also changed Rotom-Frost's Trick to Wisp because rarely have I used trick, and wisp might prove to be more beneficial.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)