ORAS PU Monkey Business (Peak #5)

Coolest nickname on the team?

• Total voters

(Update banner woot woot)

I've been trying to get my friends to play Showdown for almost three years now, and they finally agreed to give competitive Pokemon a go a few weeks ago. Although at first it was really hard for me to explain how to start out in a tier, because it had been so long since I had actually had to learn one. The choice of PU was mostly motivated by Battle Factory constantly giving me PU battles, since those battles were always the most fun (compared to the OU ones which always gave me Talonflame weak teams). This team was originally built around Simisage, because I like Grass types and Monkeys, and Simisage is both of those things. However, SD Leafeon was all around the better option, so I opted for it in the end. This team has preformed well on the ladder, as well as won a few room tours, and I'd appreciate advice on how to improve it.

NP Simisage was chosen to be the starting point, its fast and has good staying power with Giga Drain. Banded Floatzel was added as it appreciates Simisage's ability to break Water-types and can use the Fire-types that Simisage brings in as relatively free switch-in opportunities. Electabuzz and Monferno were added as a volt-turn core, handling Flying and Grass-types respectively. Grumpig was added to combat Rotom-F and Roselia, and also have some form of speed control in Thunder Wave. Marowak was added to address my lack of SR as well as have a tanky-ish physical attacker.

I swapped Electabuzz with Zebrstrika because Electabuzz's speed just wasn't cutting it and I needed better ways to pressure Floatzel and apply more pressure to Roselia. I also went with Golem instead of Marowak because while Marowak's power was appreciated, I needed a better way handle Stoutland and Dodrio (also a more resilient SR setter).

Golem was replaced by Probopass because Banded Ninjask was a royal pain. Sticky Web teams were also absolutely awful to go up against, and Zebstrika wasn't pulling its weight as much as I would have liked it to, so I switched Zebstrika with Vullaby. I also switched Banded Floatzel to Specs, and Monferno got SD as I rarely used U-turn and I needed some form of a physical presence.

As suggested, Simisage was replaced by SD Leafeon, I love Simisage but Leafeon works better with the pieces I already have. Monferno was changed from SD to Scarf, giving me a nice revenge killer and cleaner once the rest of the team has sufficiently weakened the opposition. Lastly, Grumpig's item was changed to Colbur Berry to better take on Machoke and Pawniard.

IvyFox (Leafeon) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Return / Synthesis

Unfortunately Leafeon has replaced Simisage as this team's star, as it makes much better use of the other members of the team. Yache gives it a one-time shot against water-types, which it can manhandle with (a possibly boosted) Leaf Blade. Knock Off allows me to remove eviolites from common switch-ins like Roselia and Vullaby, with Return there for coverage. Synthesis provides recovery, and Leafeon is bulky enough to find turns to use it every so often.

CharMonkey (Monferno) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature

- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Mach Punch / Thunder Punch

Now look at this monkey, what with his hair is slicked back all 1950's style. Iron Fist powers up Mach and Fire Punch, lessening the need to incur Close Combat's side effects. The EVs maximize power and speed, with Choice Scarf giving Monferno a nice boost in speed. Close Combat is a reliable nuke that rips through things like butter at +2, with Flare Blitz to do craploads of damage, but its recoil isn't very nice. Mach Punch is for revenging stuff like Rotom-F and Stoutland in sand, and helps bluff the lack of scarf. Thunder Punch is an option to better handle water-type switch-ins like Swanna.

WartOtter (Floatzel) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Veil
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
Timid Nature

- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Switcheroo

WartOtter's happiness is set to 0 because it's mad that CharMonkey got the coolest nickname even though its's more viable. This is standard Specs Floatzel, and its terrifyingly strong if it hits with the right move. Hydro Pump is powerful STAB, taking a sizable chunk out of anything not named Audino or Roselia, although the accuracy has come to bite me a few times. Ice Beam is there for Grass-types who would otherwise soak up Floatzel's moves. HP Electric is for Water-types who take negligible damage from either of the other moves. Switcheroo is here to mess with Eviolite users and Walls alike, even after losing Specs you can still swap Eviolites to pokemon who wouldn't want them and whatnot.

AlakaPig (Grumpig) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

AlakaPig is the first part of the more defensive part of my team, providing me a reliable Ninetales switch-in and a third Ice resist. Colbur Berry is there to give me a reliable way to handle Machoke, and also puts less pressure on me against Pawinard. Psychic is pretty strong STAB that helps with stuff like Roselia and Machoke. Focus Blast snipes Pawinard on the switch, as well as hitting normal-types like Bouffalant and Stoutland for a lot of damage. Taunt doesn't see much use but helps dodge Status or stop clerics from doing their job. Thunder Wave slows down offensive pokemon for picking off later, and is clutch with yellow magic hax.

PidgeVulture (Vullaby) @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play

- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

PidgeVulture by far got the worst of the nicknames, but unlike WartOtter it doesn't let its pride get in the way of its work. I needed a physically bulky presence who could remove hazards, and PidgeVulture does just that. The EVs maximize physical bulk, and since 252 reaches the same number as 248 with the Eviolite boost, I took the last bit and put it into speed in case I needed to revenge another Vullaby with my Vullaby or something like that. Foul Play is STAB that can stop physical setup pokemon pretty easily, preventing Vullaby from being setup bait for them. U-turn is to pivot out of things coming in. Roost keeps Vullaby healthy, and Defog removes hazards. All in all, I'm satisfied with Vullaby and really don't know why I didn't consider it earlier, though it is kind of passive and I wish it had better offensive presence sometimes.

Mr. Moustache (Probopass) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Power Gem
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

That is one nice looking moustache. Probopass completes a volt-turn and hazard core with Vullaby. The EVs allow me to outspeed base-50 pokemon, though I'm pretty sure there's a better number to hit. Power Gem was chosen as STAB as it allows me to beat most all Stealth Rock/Defog users (also smack Rotom-F hard), with Earth Power giving me a way to hit ground and steel-types who take little damage from other moves. Volt Switch allows Probopass to gain momentum on predicted switches, and is spammed against teams that don't have ground-types. Stealth Rocks are necessary to have on a serious team. Despite being my go-to sack, Probopass's importance for the team cannot be underestimated as it acts as my check to so many different pokemon.

- Mixed Simipour is threatening with no reliable-ish switch-ins besides Floatzel who can't take Grass Knots (and HP Electric isn't killing it).
- Electrode is faster than my entire team and can do quite a bit of damage if it comes in for free.
- Give this thing Memento or Screens support and I'm in for a rough time.

PU thus far has been a very fun tier to learn and play. While hazard control is kind of obnoxious when pretty much every hazard remover is weak to Stealth Rock, it seems to be a pretty well-balanced tier with a good amount of variety from what I can tell. At the very least, its less crazy than OU in terms of bending over backwards trying to account for threats. Either way, thanks for reading and have a nice day!

You will be missed old friend

Last edited:
Hi Mango Smoothie, cool team you've got here, and congratulations on your success with it! I just want to point out a few weaknesses and changes that could help your team out.

First off, I just wanted to point out that you're extremely weak to special Floatzel (and Life Orb Simipour for that matter, but Floatzel is just more relevant in this meta). After Stealth Rock, it literally OHKOs or 2HKOs a Pokemon on your team, and really your only counterplay for it is by beating it with your own Floatzel by winning a speed tie or paralyzing it with Grumpig. To help with this problem, I'm going to suggest you change Floatzel --> Choice Scarf Politoed, which not only provides you with a strong check to Water-types, but it also provides much needed Speed for faster Pokemon like Electrode and Zebstrika who really threaten your team.

Even with this change, you're still very weak to Electric-types such as Zebstrika and Electrode, so I'm going to recommend you change Probopass --> SpDef Golem, which still provides you with a strong Normal and Flying check, but it also adds a better Electric check, which you really need for this team. It also keeps your role of Stealth Rock, and with Protect, you're able to scout moves from Choice Scarf Rotom-F, making that set much less threatening and easier to play around.

Machoke is also a huge problem for your team, as it lives a hit from almost anything and OHKOs in return (or gets put in Bullet Punch range), so I think it's definitely necessary you change Leftovers --> Colbur Berry on Grumpig, which at least gives you a one-time check, making it much more manageable overall.

tl;dr

Politoed @ Choice Scarf | Water Absorb
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid
Hydro Pump / Scald / Ice Beam / Focus Blast

Golem @ Leftovers | Sturdy
248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD | Careful
Stealth Rock / Earthquake / Rock Blast / Protect

Leftovers --> Colbur Berry

Hope I helped!

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Hi Mango Smoothie, nice team you got there, Nasty Plot Simisage is kind of underrated right now, but it has some potential, so it's cool that someone built around it for once, especially because it was a while since I saw a team based around it. Also congratulations on the peak. You already listed the main threats and what this team has issues with, so I'm not going to bother explaining all your weaknesses as it seems like you caught most of them already. Though, something that hasn't been mentioned is the awful matchup the team has against offensive Golem: your only way to KO it without losing like 2 Pokemon is to attack with Probopass and then KO it with Monferno afterwards, but that prevents you from setting up Stealth Rock so yea that's pretty balls. Unfortunately, this can't be quite fixed unless you replace NP Simisage with Leafeon, since replacing something else just to deal with Golem would make the team weak to countless other threats, so it's up to you. In my opinion replacing Simisage with SD Leafeon would make the team much better even on other sides, but I don't want to force you to do so especially since you wanted to build on Simisage. So, I'd say it's time to get into suggestions and changes:

Seaking > Floatzel: Despite going for the classic Water-type counters, Politoed, here, I went for Seaking for mainly one reason: Lightingrod. In fact, because of Lightingrod, Seaking is able to cover both the roles of helping checking Water-types, and countering Electric-types efficiently, both two types you hugely struggle with as you said in the OP. This allows you to free up a slot and leave Probopass instead of replacing it for some other Electric-type immunity such as Golem, which would make you more susceptible to Rotom-F and more pressured by the likes of Dark-types. Returning back to Seaking, a Chesto Berry + Rest set here is beneficial since it also allows Seaking to alleviate the constant pressure put on him as it will have switch into attacks / revengekill foes quite often, also Assault Vest is done for if it gets burned by like Scald so let's not risk that.

Monferno: Choice Scarf > SD: While Seaking is a decent check to Water- and Electric-types, the loss of Speed is still annoying if you compare it with Floatzel, and if Seaking ends up being weakened too much or perishing, your team would have nothing left at all to deal with the aforementioned threats. Choice Scarf Monferno provides you a valid revengekiller, which can come in hand if you don't want to get clean sweeped when facing fast offensive powerhouses. Regaining U-Turn is also a nice feature which allows you to create even more momentum and VoltTurn chains, which go to the beneficial of Simisage, with Vullaby and Probopass. Losing a set-up sweeper in Monferno isn't a huge deal especially because to me it looked more a filler than an actual win condition, role that is taken most of the time Simisage, while losing Eviolite isn't that big too as Probopass will still deal optimally with Dark-types, and along with Grumpig, it can still take on stuff such as Rotom-F and Articuno quite well.

Grumpig: Colbur Berry > Leftovers: Dundies already mentioned this, and I fully agree on this change. Colbur Berry allows Grumpig to become a soft check to a way bigger plethora of threats, from the threatening Machoke, to Pawniard if Probopass gets too weakened, and Sucker Punch Golem which is also quite a pain for your team. Losing Leftovers can be relatively big for Grumpig, since it doesn't carry any recovery outside of that, but it's a sacrifice you have to make especially if you want insurance against Machoke.

Hope I helped

Seaking @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Megahorn
- Rest

CharMonkey (Monferno) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch / Thunder Punch

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey nice team and cool names (vullaby is the best IMO)

Looking at your team, there is no major weaknesses, though there are some Pokemon which look annoying, particularly water-types and certain set up sweepers. Firstly, I recommend you try SD Yache Berry Leafeon over Simisage. NP Simisage has declined in usage a lot from a while ago as offensive teams became better, and more people used Pokemon such as Floatzel to revenge kill it. With Leafeon, you can also apply immense offensive pressure, but you also gain a better Water check (and a mon which is threatened less by water-types) as it can run yache berry, and with its good natural bulk it can easily take several hits.

Next, you say you have problems with Electrode and Gorebyss so I think a Choice Scarf user would definitely help you. I agree with Raiza that Choice Scarf Monferno would significantly help you as SD leafeon is there for you to provide physical dominance (and Floatzel also acts as a wallbreaker), and Monferno is still nice for you to have as it provides you with a better Grass-type check, and can now revenge kill Pokemon like Zebstrika and standard Gorebyss.

Also as an easy solution to your Machoke probelm, I agree that Colbur Berry would very much help Grumpig. Its also goes nicely with the Speed + Focus Blast, as most Pawniard will expect that and try to KO you with Sucker Punch.

Leafeon @ Yache Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Synthesis / Return

Monferno @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Mach Punch / Sleep Talk

Grumpig
Leftovers ---> Colbur Berry

Hope I helped!

Thank you guys for the rates, sorry it took so long to get back with responses.

The suggestion for Colbur > Leftovers on Grumpig has proved very useful as well, especially with Monferno going to choice scarf (though at times it still is slow), so that's been implemented.

I tried out the other parts of the various tweaked versions of the team, and at this point its kind of a toss-up between the Seaking and SD Leafeon versions. Leafeon is a bit less self-sufficient against slower teams than Simisage, but its also harder to revenge (and Yache has been clutch). On the other hand, Seaking helps my electric-type weakness a lot (also Knock Off makes Roselia much easier to handle), but Floatzel is just so useful, especially with Switcheroo for annoying stuff like Audino. I'm going to give it some more testing and hopefully come to a conclusion (and a gather ideas for a better name/banner) eventually (exams and projects and such), but for now I'll update the OP with the grumpig changes (also added Golem to the threatlist I don't know how I missed that one).

EDIT: Floatzel is much more beneficial than Seaking, and Leafeon requires less overall support than Simisage. Update OP with the changes.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)