MLB thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly. For one, Halladay is one of THE best, if not the best starting pitcher in major league. What does that mean? A high price. Unless Toronto gets a quality, very high quality offer, he won't leave. However, he has given a list of teams he's willing to play for.

If anything, the team is showing that they will not resign him past 2010 anyways, so this is the best move. Don't let him walk away for almost nothing.
Letting Halladay walk away for just nothing would be the saddest thing the Jays could do. I honestly don't want him to leave, but since we can't field a legitimately competitive team, he's leaving 2010. Looks like our only hope is to let him go next year. If, at the trade deadline, we aren't in a competitive spot, we can pull a Sabathia and send him to a competitive team.

Halliday IS the best pitcher in the league! It used to be Johan Santana, but he has declined since last season, and Tim Lincecum hasn't been around the league long enough to earn that status. Halliday has been one of the league's top pitchers in every season since 2001 (except 2004, was hurt a good portion of the season).

1: He has been very consistant having lower hits than innings pitched
2: One of the league leaders in walks (has given up less than 50 in 6 consecutive seasons)
3. Doesn't give up many homeruns (has only given up more than 20 in a season just once in his career, and that was the season he won the Cy Young and pitched 266 innings)

He is worth, in my opinion, the two top prospects on a person's team and a low-tier player in the rotation or in the line-up that would start immediately for the Blue Jays.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Ok Stallion the sports nut has decided to start following the MLB more. Here are some recent thoughts:

- Buehrle's game was very good, but it was outstanding fielding that really was the catalyst for such a good defensive game (DeWayne Wise's effort really summed up Chicago's overall defensive strength this game). They are looking pretty good now, and I have them ahead of the Tiger for the divisional title.

- My favourite team, the Texas Rangers giving the Red Sox their first sweep of the season. I know they'll bounce back, but will the divisional title be out of reach at that point?

- Speaking of divisional titles, despite the Angels being in really good recent form, I'm picking (albeit slightly biased) Texas to win their division. Hamilton is the key, if he can match his 08 form, and Kinsler, Cruz, Young and Andrus bat consistently (and Cruz in particular stays healthy) to match with our improved pitching, we are a legit playoff team.

- My picks to win each division: Yankees, White Sox, Rangers, Phillies, Cubs (Cards will crumble ^_^), Dodgers.

Wildcards: Angels/Red Sox, Giants/Cardinals (Rockies are also a shot here).

Tell me your thoughts everyone :)

What are peoples thoughts on Matt Holliday going to St. Louis? I, for one, believe it is a great trade and adds a solid bat to a very dangerous Cardinals line-up. I think they'll win the NL Central this year.

This is from a Yankee fan, btw.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think they'll win the NL Central this year.
Ya think? They were solid with or without Holliday, now pitchers have to pitch to him or Pujols. Talk about another contender. (Also I'm eating my words here, I thought that the Cards would be content with DeRosa!)

Also the Red Sox have three people who can play 1st base and need a hitter. So what do they do? Get a first basemen who's hitting .107 since July 4th! Theo Epstein has officially lost his mind.

Ya think? They were solid with or without Holliday, now pitchers have to pitch to him or Pujols. Talk about another contender. (Also I'm eating my words here, I thought that the Cards would be content with DeRosa!)

Also the Red Sox have three people who can play 1st base and need a hitter. So what do they do? Get a first basemen who's hitting .107 since July 4th! Theo Epstein has officially lost his mind.
Yeah Epstein has definitely fallen off his rocker.

I thought they'd be a contender with DeRosa (but he's been mediocre lately, right?) and now whoa look out for St. Louis. If and when they make the playoffs it'll be interesting to see how they fare against the likes of the Dodgers and Phillies.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
What are peoples thoughts on Matt Holliday going to St. Louis? I, for one, believe it is a great trade and adds a solid bat to a very dangerous Cardinals line-up. I think they'll win the NL Central this year.

This is from a Yankee fan, btw.
yeah my prediction was made BEFORE the trade, I think they'll win their division now. As we speak, they are 8-1 up against the Philies, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Holliday was the perfect addition to the Cardinals, as he FINALLY gives pitchers a reason to pitch to Albert Pujols. They should run away with that division without a problem now, unless the Cubs make some ridiculous move (never out of the realm of possibility.) They might even be considered the team to beat, but I just can't see their pitching holding up against the likes of the Phillies and the Dodgers.

Holliday's power numbers have dipped over the last couple years, but I think relocating to a better hitter's park and to a team in competition will help get those stats back up to last year's totals. It may be a scary thought, but thanks to Pujols having a much better bat behind him, his stats may get even better!

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The way Holliday has hit this year, I still don't pitch to Pujols in most cases.

Anyways, just wanted to bring some attention to the Orioles since they'll never get it. Brad Bergesen, in 18 starts, 116.1 innings, is 6-5 with a 3.56 ERA, a 1.28 WHIP, and 59 K. Pretty solid for a rookie, especially when we still have our top three (four if you include this year's draft pick, although out of high school it could take a while for him to make his way up) pitching prospects in the minors. With Markakis, Jones, Reimold, Wieters, and Roberts locked in, we could be potent in the next few years. Just have to hope and pray that these kids can transfer from the minors to the majors easily. Thoughts?

Holliday can still do some massive damage, even if he's not in Coors anymore. I think hitting alongside Pujols will make a difference, so he should bounce back soon enough. It's a good move by the Cards. The Phils rejected the Jays' Halladay offer, and vice versa. Halladay won't be going anywhere this season, but it doesn't look like it'll make a difference for the dead Blue Jays. Right now, I'm hoping we can get to .500 and stay there, but that will take a miracle.

Sigh Toronto's management cant make reasonable deals with other teams for Roy Halladay, like seirously cmon they offered the Angel's Hallady for Saunders, Erik Aybar and some prospects why wont Ricardi be reasonable and actually let Halladay go?

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sigh Toronto's management cant make reasonable deals with other teams for Roy Halladay, like seirously cmon they offered the Angel's Hallady for Saunders, Erik Aybar and some prospects why wont Ricardi be reasonable and actually let Halladay go?
Cause Halladay's their foundation. I mean, he has to run a hard bargain. This guy is practically the reason Jays didn't blow monkey balls for the past 5 years as much. Without his 15+ wins, Jays would be at like .400 constantly.

And he's a Cy Young pitcher. No shit Toronto's gonna want good prospects from him.

Phillies' counter offer got rejected. 2 days til the potential deal.

Cards fan here, and Holliday was a so-so move. In giving Pujols protection, we lose Brett Wallace, our prospect 3rd baseman who is said to start opening day 2010 for the A's. He was going to be a cheap source of power for the next few years, but now we spent him on a 2 month rental. Unless we resign Holliday AND Ludwick, both are free agents next year and both will want more money, then I am not a fan of this deal. But, it WILL be fun to watch my Cardinals retake 1st in the NL Central.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Anyways, just wanted to bring some attention to the Orioles since they'll never get it. Brad Bergesen, in 18 starts, 116.1 innings, is 6-5 with a 3.56 ERA, a 1.28 WHIP, and 59 K. Pretty solid for a rookie, especially when we still have our top three (four if you include this year's draft pick, although out of high school it could take a while for him to make his way up) pitching prospects in the minors. With Markakis, Jones, Reimold, Wieters, and Roberts locked in, we could be potent in the next few years. Just have to hope and pray that these kids can transfer from the minors to the majors easily. Thoughts?
Orioles will dominate in, I think, 2011. We have other good pitchers coming up, like Matusz and Tillman and Arietta. Bergesen has been much much better than expected (he was brought up because the organization wanted to buy time for the better prospects). The scary thing is he projects as our fifth starter at best. Check out this rotation:

Tillman
Guthrie
Arrieta
Matusz
Bergesen

It is absolutely one of the best in baseball. Truly mouth-watering to think about. Plus, we have Rich Hill who has been coming around lately and could compete for a spot if he keeps this up, and Radhemes Liz is another promising prospect. AND we haven't even discussed Troy Patton, another piece from the Bedard deal, who could develop quickly.

As far as our lineup goes, we already have one of the best outfields in baseball which is sure to get better. Our projected lineup is:

C: Wieters
1B: Brandon Snyder (prospect as of now)
2B: Roberts
3B: Billy Rowell (promising prospect)
SS: Luis Hernandez
LF: Reimold
CF: Jones
RF: Markakis
DH: Huff

The only weak link in that is shortstop, but Hernandez can be a quality number nine hitter. And that isn't even taking Felix Pie (a former top Cubs prospect) into consideration as an extra outfielder. Yes, the Orioles should be a top team in the AL come 2011, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened as soon as next year, though I may be too optomistic.

This, of course, if if MacPhail manages to keep Angelos' slimy hands off of the management of the team.

Stallion

Tree Young
Thoughts:

Agreeing with the above posters, Baltimore will be very good in 2011 or so. However: a) how well can they really do in the best division in the MLB? Surely they won't be better then the Yankees or the Red Sox, even the Rays and the Jays are decent, b) this is 2009 :P

After some thought, sticking with my original prediction of Cubs to win NL central. Holliday is good, but as we saw in the last two matches vs the Phillies, his arrival hasn't automatically made them elite even if they've improved. My bet is that by 10/11 Oakland will have have had the better of the trade.

Sorry Jays fans, but unless you recapture your early season form, Halladay is leaving. Probably should have traded him now and for something in return.

The Angels finally lost, getting spanked 10-1 by the Twins, meaning my beloved Rangers are 3.5 games behind after todays win. We are playig Detroit, who've had the better of us this season. Our form is superior atm though so should be a wonderful game (and series).

Goodnight everyone :)

The Jays aren't going to win their division or make the wild card with or without Halladay. They're not in a position to do well this season and everyone knows that, so they should definitely have taken the Phillies counter offer and sent him there. It's probably the best they're going to get, and if they blow it this season and miss trading him then the Jays are going to get a lot less for him next season.

And so, my predictions are:
AL East: NY Yankees
AL Central: Tigers
AL West: LA Angels
AL Wild Card: Red Sox =(

NL East: Phillies =(
NL Central: Cardinals
NL West: Dodgers
NL Wild Card: Rockies

I am going to point out that schedule will make a pretty big impact on the AL Central race. The White Sox have a pretty hard schedule including several games against the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels, where the Tigers play the harder teams less, having to face the less effective Twins and Indians more.

Holliday I think will be the difference in the NL Central, pushing the Cards back up to first place quickly and keeping them there. Their offense is now a lot harder to dodge with both Holliday and Pujols, so walking Pujols won't be as profitable for teams any more.

The Phillies, Angels and Dodgers pretty much have their divisions in the bag, and I see the Yankees lead in the AL East getting bigger every game.

The Phillies, Angels and Dodgers pretty much have their divisions in the bag, and I see the Yankees lead in the AL East getting bigger every game.

1: Red Sox are in a slump, and Yankees have won 9 out of their last 10. All teams go through slumps, and then they turn around. Statistically, the Yankess have to cool down and possibly go through one more slump similar to what they experiences at the first of the season. If the Yankees do win the division, it won't be decided until the final week of the season.

2: Angles are only 3.5 games ahead of the Rangers. You cannot say that they have their division in the bag quite yet.

I think Angels do. We are playing magnificently. Oh and when was the last time you saw a team 3-game sweep the Yankees? Yeah that's right hasn't happened lately. Then again we've been the counter to the Yankees for years now(this is a fact ask most Yankees fans haha). However the Rangers don't look as good anymore and now that our stuff is back on track we look fine. Kendry Morales is one hell of a Texieira replacement for what we thought we would get thats for sure O_O. He has 17 home Runs, 60 RBIs or so and is batting .294 right now or so.

Also I love the fact that my Angels have the best batting avg in the MLB. .286 Avg for the whole team and we don't even have Guerrero,Rivera, or Hunter in the lineup. That's another thing to take note of people who oppose the Angels. Our 3 best hitters are injured and yet we win 8 straight.

Let's see here on another note the best pitcher in the MLB is not Roy Halladay it's Dan Haren. Look him up, chances are you've never heard of him because of what team he's on......

I want the Cards to win their division but it would be nice to see the Astros pull into first place 8). Phillies and Dodgers have theirs in the bag imo. Tigers will upset all and win division imo :O. And...Red Sox to take AL East ;D

Yeah but Dan Haren pitches in the National League where nobody can hit and doesn't face anywhere near the calibur of lineup that Halladay faces everyday.

Stallion

Tree Young
Only 2.5 games ahead Mr. Night Falcon, and that's with preseason MVP favourite Josh Hamiltion playing like absolute crap and an often disrupted pitching rotation. Watch out Angels, we are coming for you :)

I think Angels do. We are playing magnificently. Oh and when was the last time you saw a team 3-game sweep the Yankees? Yeah that's right hasn't happened lately. Then again we've been the counter to the Yankees for years now(this is a fact ask most Yankees fans haha). However the Rangers don't look as good anymore and now that our stuff is back on track we look fine. Kendry Morales is one hell of a Texieira replacement for what we thought we would get thats for sure O_O. He has 17 home Runs, 60 RBIs or so and is batting .294 right now or so.

Also I love the fact that my Angels have the best batting avg in the MLB. .286 Avg for the whole team and we don't even have Guerrero,Rivera, or Hunter in the lineup. That's another thing to take note of people who oppose the Angels. Our 3 best hitters are injured and yet we win 8 straight.

Let's see here on another note the best pitcher in the MLB is not Roy Halladay it's Dan Haren. Look him up, chances are you've never heard of him because of what team he's on......

This season, the best pitcher has been Dan Haren up to this point. That can easily change with several horrible starts. Roy Halliday has been one of the top 3-5 pitchers 7 out of the last 8 seasons, and this season is no different. He has been consistantly one of the best for many years, therefore, he is deemed the best!! Haren has been a great pitcher the last 3-4 seasons, but he has never been one of the best until this year.

As for the Angels, add on to the fact that they are 3rd in SLG% (despite the fact they are ranked 14th in HR), 2nd in SB (a whopping 35 less than Rays!! That shocked me!), 4th in OBP, and 4th in OPS, this may be the most offensive Angels team I have ever seen this decade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)