MLB thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
More power doesn't just mean more home runs. The lower-trajectory hits that are line drives and ground balls will be just that much more likely to find holes. Defensively, your throws might reach base fractions of a second sooner, which could make the difference between throwing the runner out or not. ;o

Eh, minute things. I guess it's unfair to say absolute zero value, but it's getting to the point where it's going to make some absurdly small difference, like .2 WAR.

Also, I just skimmed over J-man's post, but lol.

Signed Coco Crisp- There's your leadoff hitter, and a darn good one at that. The Tigers said they wanted speed. Well, here's your speed. Unfortunately, he's now signed with the A's after saying he wanted to sign with a contender *hint* *hint* *nudge* *nudge*. The only legit leadoff batter on the market now is Johnny Damon. Oops, the Tiger's DH spot is already taken. Now we have to rely on Austin Jackson... Yeah, there's your speed if he can get on base...
I can't even fathom what has your head thinking that Damon or Crisp would be a better leadoff hitter than Jackson... Speed != Leadoff. And Damon is an old goat anyways, Crisp is going to decline even further, while the logical thinking says that Jackson still has a year or two until he peaks.

Eh, minute things. I guess it's unfair to say absolute zero value, but it's getting to the point where it's going to make some absurdly small difference, like .2 WAR.

Also, I just skimmed over J-man's post, but lol.

I can't even fathom what has your head thinking that Damon or Crisp would be a better leadoff hitter than Jackson... Speed != Leadoff. And Damon is an old goat anyways, Crisp is going to decline even further, while the logical thinking says that Jackson still has a year or two until he peaks.
ROFLOL. Before you start calling me an idiot, check out Jackson's OBP and high strike out count. Speed alone =/= leadoff hitter. Actual logic dictates Jackson IS NOT a leadoff hitter. If anything, I should be questioning your knowledge of the game.

...I never said he was good, I said Jackson was better... Jackson and Crisp posted near identical lines last year of OBP... In fact, Jackson's OBP WAS HIGHER than Crisp's last year, even though his average was .15 lower.. Damon had slightly better hitting stats, but drop off for players of his age tend to be pretty drastic.

Anywho, if you're going to make claims to insult my knowledge of the game, at least look up stats. Let alone understand that Crisp is 32, and Damon is 38, while Jackson is 24. So please, if you're going to list replacements, don't list replacements that he compares FAVOURABLY to, and don't make claims off of what I didn't say.

Twins signed hard throwing righty Joel Zumaya to a one year, 800K contract with incentives up to $1.3 million. Zumaya's rehab was being followed by 20 teams and could be a major player in the Twins bullpen if he stays healthy.

The A's also agreed to sign long time veteran Bartolo Colon to a one year deal worth $2 million.

@ Orb: Ya boy gardener might steal 60 bases, but Jacoby Ellsbury can steal 70 and hit 30+ homers. All Granderson can do is hit home runs, Jeter and A-Rod are in major decline, Texaria is not as good on offense and defense as A-Gon, Youkilis beats Swisher every day of the week, and Pedroia and Cano are pretty much the same. Keep in mind that we still got Big Papi who hit over .300 last year with almost 30 bombs, Scutero who hit almost .300 last year in the 9th spot, and Carl Crawford who I'm sure will have a turn around year. Salty had about the same numbers as Russell Martian, and having Ryan Sweeney as a right fielder is far better than you guys having Andruw Jones as a DH.

The top of our rotation is still better than yours, as Beckett, Lester, Buchholz match up better than CC, Pineda, and Kuroda. Your back end is better with Nova and Phil, and though right now I question Daniel Bard in the rotation, the guy has the stuff to be a solid #2 guy if he transitions well. If Aceves pitches like he did last year, he would stand a chance to beat Phil.

It seems like the Yankees see the Red Sox this year like we saw you last year. We said there ain't no way you can compete with Bartolo Colon, Kevin Millwood, and Freddy Garcia in the back of your rotation. Yet you beat us in the standings pretty badly. All I'm saying is, we will find a way to win. Don't count us out.

Twins signed hard throwing righty Joel Zumaya to a one year, 800K contract with incentives up to $1.3 million. Zumaya's rehab was being followed by 20 teams and could be a major player in the Twins bullpen if he stays healthy.

The A's also agreed to sign long time veteran Bartolo Colon to a one year deal worth $2 million.

@ Orb: Ya boy gardener might steal 60 bases, but Jacoby Ellsbury can steal 70 and hit 30+ homers. All Granderson can do is hit home runs, Jeter and A-Rod are in major decline, Texaria is not as good on offense and defense as A-Gon, Youkilis beats Swisher every day of the week, and Pedroia and Cano are pretty much the same. Keep in mind that we still got Big Papi who hit over .300 last year with almost 30 bombs, Scutero who hit almost .300 last year in the 9th spot, and Carl Crawford who I'm sure will have a turn around year. Salty had about the same numbers as Russell Martian, and having Ryan Sweeney as a right fielder is far better than you guys having Andruw Jones as a DH.

The top of our rotation is still better than yours, as Beckett, Lester, Buchholz match up better than CC, Pineda, and Kuroda. Your back end is better with Nova and Phil, and though right now I question Daniel Bard in the rotation, the guy has the stuff to be a solid #2 guy if he transitions well. If Aceves pitches like he did last year, he would stand a chance to beat Phil.

It seems like the Yankees see the Red Sox this year like we saw you last year. We said there ain't no way you can compete with Bartolo Colon, Kevin Millwood, and Freddy Garcia in the back of your rotation. Yet you beat us in the standings pretty badly. All I'm saying is, we will find a way to win. Don't count us out.
Your saying you have a better bullpen? We by far had the best last year, having the best closer ever, someone in the top 5 in era, joba who will be returning, boone logan who can get out lefties like gonzo, and phil hughes. Phil aint in our rotation bro, and freddy is in our rotation along with ivan nova.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
More power doesn't just mean more home runs. The lower-trajectory hits that are line drives and ground balls will be just that much more likely to find holes. Defensively, your throws might reach base fractions of a second sooner, which could make the difference between throwing the runner out or not. ;o
maybes, ifs, coulds: the arguments that PEDs ruined baseball. i'll do you the favor and ignore your dubious assertion about steroids' affect on batted ball types. there is just no evidence that steroids have such wide reaching effects like that. this is not to say they had no effect at all on players, as that is similarly wrong; it's just that we don't know how much they actually helped. people point to Bonds' production explosion in his late 30s (and conveniently ignore the fact that he was really good his whole career) but obviously that was just one player; the field is literally littered with journeymen who also used and amounted to nothing.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Don't care much about the current argument, but I do want to agree with aamto here. Barry Bonds had basically 2 careers and if he doesn't get into the hall of fame it will be a god damned shame. All reports point to Barry starting steroid usage in 2000 and by that time he had:

3 NL MVPs
8 Gold Gloves
448 Home Runs
460 Stolen Bases
8 All Star appearances
The highest WAR in baseball 6 times
A total WAR of 107.4 (that's more than every other player except 20)
Led the league in IBB 7 times

You can throw out his career stats after his alleged steroid abuse began and you still have one of the greatest players of all time. As much as I hate the guy, he should be in the Hall of Fame.

And on the topic of my favorite team, as much as I love The Jesus, I love this trade just as much. What was a huge question mark is now a strength. Cashman's new philosophy is apparently trade/develop pitching and sign hitting. The catching for the Yankees is deep and Jesus was just one of many high level prospects we have in the minors that catch, Austin Romine, Gary Sanchez, etc are all still in the system so letting Jesus go doesn't sting as bad. Hopefully Pineda can keep his high level play going in Yankee Stadium since he is going from one of the weakest hitting divisions in one of the better pitchers parks to one of the best hitting divisions in the second best hitters park.

@ Orb: Ya boy gardener might steal 60 bases, but Jacoby Ellsbury can steal 70 and hit 30+ homers (That was one year. If he legitimately can do this again, then i'll concced). All Granderson can do is hit home runs (And hit triples, steal 25 bags, but all that stuff doesn't matter apparently), Jeter and A-Rod are in major decline (Yet, Jeter was ridiculous during the second half and A-Rod is determined to bounce back, which he has done. Plus, both those guys play better defense than that fatass Youkilis), Texaria is not as good on offense and defense as A-Gon (Outside of average, they aren't too far off offensively, and defensively they are on par), Youkilis beats Swisher every day of the week (Youkilis doesn't belong in the same sentence as Swisher until he can actually go an 162 game schedule without hitting the DL, something Swisher has never done as a Yankee), and Pedroia and Cano are pretty much the same (Pedroia's a more disicplined hitter with better speed, but he has less power and range than Cano. Cano is one disciplined strike zone away from becoming an otherwordly hitter. Defensively, they're the same) . Keep in mind that we still got Big Papi who hit over .300 last year with almost 30 bombs, Scutero who hit almost .300 last year in the 9th spot (All this shit about decline and then you pull two players out in their late thirties. There's a very low chance Papi does that again), and Carl Crawford who I'm sure will have a turn around year (He has to, can't argue with that). Salty had about the same numbers as Russell Martin (But Martin can actually call a great game and be great defensively behind the plate while putting in good offensive production as well. He's way better than Salty), and having Ryan Sweeney as a right fielder is far better than you guys having Andruw Jones as a DH (So Sweeney is better because he can barely hit and play decent defense while Jones still plays great defensively and demolishes lefties? Didn't think so).

The top of our rotation is still better than yours, as Beckett, Lester, Buchholz match up better than CC, Pineda, and Kuroda (Yeah, but the difference our front end starters stay healthy. And speaking of age, isn't Beckett getting up there?). Your back end is better with Nova and Phil, and though right now I question Daniel Bard in the rotation, the guy has the stuff to be a solid #2 guy if he transitions well (If Joba couldn't be a No.4 after starting in the minors, Bard has zero chance of becoming a No. 2, especially in this division). If Aceves pitches like he did last year, he would stand a chance to beat Phil (If his back doesn't give out first).

It seems like the Yankees see the Red Sox this year like we saw you last year. We said there ain't no way you can compete with Bartolo Colon, Kevin Millwood, and Freddy Garcia in the back of your rotation . Yet you beat us in the standings pretty badly (The collapse made that gap much wider but alright, I see your point). All I'm saying is, we will find a way to win. Don't count us out (We all counted the Rays out at some point or another, didn't we?)
Changes in bold. I never said the Sox wouldn't win. Neither did Orbpom, he just said you guys better watch it. and you should. I'm not saying you couldn't pull a Bartolo Colon with someone, but I'll be honest, that was pure luck that he was that good. same with Garcia, I don't expect him to come close to a repeat of last year.

aamto

Yankee fanboy stuff
ermm...a few notes there: Pedroia is in another universe defensively compared to Cano (and offensively, they contribute the same value) and ARod is 37 years old and his body is deteriorating -- don't count on a "bounce-back" year. and Bard has better stuff than Joba and has no shoulder or elbow problems (the main culprit in Joba's demise); the comparison here doesn't hold water.

bottom line is that if the Sox can actually stay healthy, they are still up there with the Yankees, who have to hope their own 35+ year old players don't break down.

...I never said he was good, I said Jackson was better...
Have you seen Jackson's swing mechanics? His alarmingly high strike out count? Damon right now in his old age this moment put up better numbers than Jackson. You can't know how he's going to decline...
Jackson and Crisp posted near identical lines last year of OBP... In fact, Jackson's OBP WAS HIGHER than Crisp's last year, even though his average was .15 lower..
Oh darn. You beat me. Yup, In spite of the fact that he stole 42 bases, had just 65 SOs? and merely had an off year with an A's team that was miserable on offense, Jackson is better.

Anywho, if you're going to make claims to insult my knowledge of the game, at least look up stats. Let alone understand that Crisp is 32, and Damon is 38, while Jackson is 24. So please, if you're going to list replacements, don't list replacements that he compares FAVOURABLY to, and don't make claims off of what I didn't say.
You said Jackson compares favorably to two good, not amazing (I didn't even want Damon, I was just showing how our GM has squandered his time to the point where there were no options left. BTW, I also accidently confused Crisp for his former teamate David DeJesus's OBP. Crucify me for a human error that everyone makes once in a while if you so desire), leadoff hitters who can get on base and steal more of them. Your argument is based on age, a factor you can't truly measure (actually, at Jackson's age, most other players are prospects in the minors... You do know most prospects are a wash right?) playing in, and a rare bad season. Yeahhhhh. No. That's not legit.

Actually, I did research. Tigers should sign Fukudome. We didn't need speed last year, but I'll take .360-.370 OBP.

aamto

Have you seen Jackson's swing mechanics? His alarmingly high strike out count? Damon right now in his old age this moment put up better numbers than Jackson. You can't know how he's going to decline... Oh darn. You beat me. Yup, In spite of the fact that he stole 42 bases, had just 65 SOs? and merely had an off year with an A's team that was miserable on offense, Jackson is better.

You said Jackson compares favorably to two good, not amazing (I didn't even want Damon, I was just showing how our GM has squandered his time to the point where there were no options left. BTW, I also accidently confused Crisp for his former teamate David DeJesus's OBP. Crucify me for a human error that everyone makes once in a while if you so desire), leadoff hitters who can get on base and steal more of them. Your argument is based on age, a factor you can't truly measure (actually, at Jackson's age, most other players are prospects in the minors... You do know most prospects are a wash right?) playing in, and a rare bad season. Yeahhhhh. No. That's not legit.

Actually, I did research. Tigers should sign Fukudome. We didn't need speed last year, but I'll take .360-.370 OBP.
i think the point moi was making was that Crisp and Damon are known quantities -- they are veterans that will provide you with, more or less, their career marks (although Damon being as old as he is has a much higher chance to decline), which are generally uninspiring. Jackson has provided similar value (actually, more in 2011) than both and he is still cheap and, more importantly, very young; he has a real chance to improve on his previous years' performance. the long and short of it is that having Jackson at the ML minimum over Crisp @ $6M per is almost a no brainer, as they both provide similar value (even if you are convinced Crisp is better, he's not worth the extra $5.5M).

if the Tigers had an opportunity to bid on a premiere CF (Matt Kemp or someone of that ilk), then they should absolutely drop Jackson. but to abandon a 25 year old with (however limited) potential for a 32 year old veteran is foolish.

(actually, at Jackson's age, most other players are prospects in the minors... You do know most prospects are a wash right?)
I can't see how you don't realise that saying this is essentially proving my argument that Jackson can only improve. By saying that his fellow age group are playing at a lower level shows that Jackson is much more advanced than them, and capable of playing at a higher level than those players. which shows how much more potential he has. Saying that prospects that age wash out doesn't mean much; he's not a prospect.

Get this through your head. I am not saying Jackson is a great player by any means, but you're ignoring obvious statistical value and logical thinking when evaluating the results. Coco Crisp having an off year? If you're saying that based off his 2010, get your facts straight. The 127 wRC+ he created that year was 10 points higher than he's ever had in his career, and that 117 was at AGE 25. If anything, his 2010 results were an outlier. His career line to this point? .275/.330/.406. To this point, Jackson's gone .271/.331/.387. That's fairly damn similar, outside of the slight dip in power numbers to Jackson's.

You wonder where I get my numbers for aging from? I read about the sport. Here, look at this graph, compiled for every player that's played since 2002, showing the trends of batter development.

It's quite obvious that the statistical trend shows that Jackson will improve, while Crisp is just as likely to stay put as he is to decrease, whereas Damon can do nothing but go down. To ignore this trend would just be ignorant.

i think the point moi was making was that Crisp and Damon are known quantities -- they are veterans that will provide you with, more or less, their career marks (although Damon being as old as he is has a much higher chance to decline), which are generally uninspiring. Jackson has provided similar value (actually, more in 2011) than both and he is still cheap and, more importantly, very young; he has a real chance to improve on his previous years' performance. the long and short of it is that having Jackson at the ML minimum over Crisp @ $6M per is almost a no brainer, as they both provide similar value (even if you are convinced Crisp is better, he's not worth the extra $5.5M).

if the Tigers had an opportunity to bid on a premiere CF (Matt Kemp or someone of that ilk), then they should absolutely drop Jackson. but to abandon a 25 year old with (however limited) potential for a 32 year old veteran is foolish.
Now hold on. At no point have I said the Tigers ought to dump Jackson. I said he's not a leadoff hitter. I said we needed to sign one who can perform that job better, as I'm not convinced Jackson can leadoff ATM. I do love his glove in CF, especially in CoPa. That is why I'll never desire to abandon him.

@Moi
Have you ever heard of Rick Porcello? Some kids are simply rushed to the majors regardless of whether they need development or not. That's the point I made, and you ignored it and twisted the meaning of what I said. Your chart also failed to account for Jackson's SO count rising. Thirdly, you completely ignored the fact that I confused one player for another, and that I didn't even consider the other one as an option. I'll let you read and figure out what you conveniently left out.

NOT ONCE did you mention prospects being rushed. Not once. How did I ignore something that wasn't even mentioned? I'm sorry if I can't "read between the lines" like that, but if you're going to say that I'm choosing to "ignore" things, at least read over your own posts.

The chart isn't mine, by the way. It's from fangraphs, this link is here.

One of the three variables in that chart didn't go as expected, but that's because it's based off of averages. Baseball is a game of sample sizes, and that was a small change over a one year sample.. His other two stats on that charged, (BB% and GB%) followed the expected traits. How is it possibly wrong of me to expect his K% to fall based on the given information.

And by the way, if you confused one player for the other, why did you continue to argue that you thought Crisp is better? You did the same thing with Damon.

Damon right now in his old age this moment put up better numbers than Jackson. You can't know how he's going to decline...
Oh darn. You beat me. Yup, In spite of the fact that he stole 42 bases, had just 65 SOs? and merely had an off year with an A's team that was miserable on offense, Jackson is better.
in reference to Coco Crisp said:
and a rare bad season.
I presented counter arguments to these points. How was I choosing to gloss over things?

And you think Porcello is the rule to young players? Even if you consider him a bust (uh, 4.7 WAR over the past two years DOES NOT make a bust), he is still 23, many years to go until his prime. Most young players get called up that young because of how good they are. Busts are NOT the rule at this point, they are the exception.

I'm done, either way. I've addressed the concerns in your argument. The fact that you changed your opinion to Fukodome only shows how uninformed you initially were, yet you still chose to ignore sound logic, whatever.

J-man, you can't argue with a line graph. You are really making no sense and I think everyone wants you to shut up about this and talk about something else...

Like the trade the A's made today, the Red Sox signing, guys avoiding arb, Godzilla talking to the Yanks on returning...

Pretty much anything else. No one gives a flying ferret fuck about your personal problems with Austin Jackson. You probably hate him because he made fun of your bowl cut in high school...

J-man, you can't argue with a line graph. You are really making no sense and I think everyone wants you to shut up about this and talk about something else...

Like the trade the A's made today, the Red Sox signing, guys avoiding arb, Godzilla talking to the Yanks on returning...

Pretty much anything else. No one gives a flying ferret fuck about your personal problems with Austin Jackson. You probably hate him because he made fun of your bowl cut in high school...

NOT ONCE did you mention prospects being rushed. Not once. How did I ignore something that wasn't even mentioned? I'm sorry if I can't "read between the lines" like that, but if you're going to say that I'm choosing to "ignore" things, at least read over your own posts.
Fine. I concede this point. The point I should have made was just that. Sometimes teams assume a player is ready when he's not. After Jackson's last season, I believe he should have been in the minors because his batting mechanics are terrible and his numbers are telling. I guess what I was trying to say that one can't tell what the finished product will be, and you can only go by with such a small sample size with "what have you done for me lately".
The chart isn't mine, by the way. It's from fangraphs, this link is here.
because that's what I totally meant when I said "your chart". Seriously, you can't take as that dumb. I consider this insulting.

One of the three variables in that chart didn't go as expected, but that's because it's based off of averages. Baseball is a game of sample sizes, and that was a small change over a one year sample.. His other two stats on that charged, (BB% and GB%) followed the expected traits. How is it possibly wrong of me to expect his K% to fall based on the given information.
So, what you're saying is if some of Austin Jackson's small sample size supports your argument than good, but if it doesn't than it's a was. Which is it? Do you want to have your cake or eat it? And you've been barking at me about logic.

And by the way, if you confused one player for the other, why did you continue to argue that you thought Crisp is better? You did the same thing with Damon.
See: chronological order of posts. Therein will lay the answer to your question, oh logical one.

I presented counter arguments to these points. How was I choosing to gloss over things?
Because at that point, I stated that I mistook one player for another and never meant to argue the other (unfortunately I did). You kept on arguing.

And you think Porcello is the rule to young players? Even if you consider him a bust (uh, 4.7 WAR over the past two years DOES NOT make a bust), he is still 23, many years to go until his prime. Most young players get called up that young because of how good they are. Busts are NOT the rule at this point, they are the exception.
If WAR is all you have to offer, then that's not good enough (heck, you just added up his WAR for the last two years, making him look better than he is). He gave up his Curve because he was rushed. Because of that, he struggles to get lefties out. I think he'll get better over time, but he is an example of a prospect rushed to the league with all the expectations in the world and not meeting them.

ermm...a few notes there: Pedroia is in another universe defensively compared to Cano (and offensively, they contribute the same value) and ARod is 37 years old and his body is deteriorating -- don't count on a "bounce-back" year. and Bard has better stuff than Joba and has no shoulder or elbow problems (the main culprit in Joba's demise); the comparison here doesn't hold water.

bottom line is that if the Sox can actually stay healthy, they are still up there with the Yankees, who have to hope their own 35+ year old players don't break down.
1. I wouldn't say Pedoria's in another universe defensively, but he is definitely superior. And comparing the two is kinda eh since one's a top-of-the order batter and another is a middle-of-the-order power bat. They both are great regardless.

2.It as unreasonable to think that both Papi and Scutaro will repeat their 2011 as it is to say A-Rod will bounce back (Though I suspect Papi with have a "normal" year and hit a bunch of homers like he always does

3.My comparison was that Bard never started in the minors (the high minors anyway, someone can correct me on that) while Joba did, so I'm not so sure is arm will hold up. The reason I compare them is they both are relievers who were/will be starters at one point or another who both throw hard. Bard is younger and has no injury history, that's true, so he does have a leg up here. I'm sure he could be great for part of the season (a la Alexi Ogando), but I'd be shocked if he could put up north of even 150 IP this year and have an arm left.

I never said they couldn't hang up there with the Yanks. They definitely can. I'm guilty of being a fanboy here, but so is ButteredToast :P

Greatest rivalry in basebal :naughty:

J-man, you can't argue with a line graph. You are really making no sense and I think everyone wants you to shut up
about this and talk about something else...

If Cashman brings Matsui back, he has officially lost my trust. At least Damon can still run the bases and can play the outfield in a pinch. Also, Seth Smith + Regular AB = Interesting, though that park will hurt him.

Oh, and J-Man, you have problems with AJax now, but come on, he's not going to reach his peak for a little while. Give him time. At least half your team isn't old men like the Yankees (capable old men but old men all the same). Besides, isn't he a pretty good defender? (I actually have no clue other than the clips of some of the catches he made on Quick Pitch)

1. I wouldn't say Pedoria's in another universe defensively, but he is definitely superior. And comparing the two is kinda eh since one's a top-of-the order batter and another is a middle-of-the-order power bat. They both are great regardless.

2.It as unreasonable to think that both Papi and Scutaro will repeat their 2011 as it is to say A-Rod will bounce back (Though I suspect Papi with have a "normal" year and hit a bunch of homers like he always does

3.My comparison was that Bard never started in the minors (the high minors anyway, someone can correct me on that) while Joba did, so I'm not so sure is arm will hold up. The reason I compare them is they both are relievers who were/will be starters at one point or another who both throw hard. Bard is younger and has no injury history, that's true, so he does have a leg up here. I'm sure he could be great for part of the season (a la Alexi Ogando), but I'd be shocked if he could put up north of even 150 IP this year and have an arm left.

I never said they couldn't hang up there with the Yanks. They definitely can. I'm guilty of being a fanboy here, but so is ButteredToast :P

Greatest rivalry in basebal :naughty:

If Cashman brings Matsui back, he has officially lost my trust. At least Damon can still run the bases and can play the outfield in a pinch. Also, Seth Smith + Regular AB = Interesting, though that park will hurt him.

Oh, and J-Man, you have problems with AJax now, but come on, he's not going to reach his peak for a little while. Give him time. At least half your team isn't old men like the Yankees (capable old men but old men all the same). Besides, isn't he a pretty good defender? (I actually have no clue other than the clips of some of the catches he made on Quick Pitch)
Ajax is such a streaky GLOVE, something you never hear of. He makes perfect throws and Mays- type plays, but then in postseason he easily drops 2 balls that you make 999 out of 1000 times. I agree that Damon would serve more useful for us then Godzilla, it would be sweet to see him get 3000 with us while still playing an average glove for 20 games or so while the others are resting, and still provide through the DH. Matsui is washed up, and he reminds me of a nick johnson returning to yanks(you know how that turned out).

For the record, the last time Dan Bard started a game was in the 2007 season in A+. He had a 7.08 ERA in 22 games with a WHIP of over 2 and only 5.6 SO/9. Not really much to go on because it's such a small sample size when he was only a fastball pitcher. With the circle change, slider, and cutter he has now, it's kind of a different story. Way too long ago and way to small of a sample to make any comparisons on.

I agree he may be a Joba, but he always could be a John Smoltz or a CJ Wilson. Plus, Joba never threw 100 MPH...

Victor Martinez tore his ACL during winter conditioning. Uh ohhhhh. Miguel Cabrera may break the record for most IBB's ever this year.

Andrew Bailey. Melancon will be in Bard's role as 8th inning specialist/sometimes closer, Bard is moving to the rotation most likely.
Facepalm, fuck I forget even though Buttered and I were arguing about it. Well no matter, he's going to blow in the smallest field in mlb and the best division!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)