Pokémon Minior

What core color is best? (Personal interest; unrelated to competitive analysis)

• Red

Votes: 71 11.4%
  • Orange

Votes: 43 6.9%
  • Yellow

Votes: 38 6.1%
  • Green

Votes: 86 13.8%
  • Blue

Votes: 162 25.9%
  • Indigo

Votes: 116 18.6%
  • Violet

Votes: 109 17.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if I'm sounding dense, but why the +speed nature on this thing? Unless I'm doing my math wrong:

Minior (Down) Brave nature (0 IV speed, 0 EV): 112
Pheromosoa Naive nature (31 IV, 252 EV): 223

After shell smash, the sharply raised stat is doubled right? So that would mean Minior-down would reach:

Minior (Down) Brave nature (0 IV speed, 0 EV) : 112 (x 2) -> 224

Still manages to outspeed Phermosa without any investment on -ve speed nature after shell smash.
That's my understanding, so I don't get why people run +ve speed natures and even invest in speed on this thing. What am I overlooking?
The speed EVs are meant to ensure that Minior can outspeed a neutral-nature Pheromosa even in Meteor form, which has only 60 base speed. The spread will be updated if (when) Pheromosa gets banned.

The speed EVs are meant to ensure that Minior can outspeed a neutral-nature Pheromosa even in Meteor form, which has only 60 base speed. The spread will be updated if (when) Pheromosa gets banned.
I see. I wasn't expecting to have minior face Pheromosa anyway, at least until it gets a shell smash up. But that's easier said than done.

But then again, Pheromosa against minior (shields up):

252+ SpA Pheromosa Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Minior: 60-72 (22.9 - 27.5%) -- 58.3% chance to 4HKO

252+ Atk Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Minior: 66-78 (25.2 - 29.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Couldn't you switch into Pherm then set up for a sweep (provided priority users are gone?)

I'm probably going to playtest mixed brave shell smash, 252 att/ 252 sp att and see where I go from there. I guess I'll have to find notable scarf users if I want to find anything to outspeed, because so far he doesn't seem to take much trouble from nonboosted Pherm before shields down, AND he outspeeds Pherm with -ve nature 0 iv after 1 shell smash.

Edit: derped with calc.

Last edited:
I see. I wasn't expecting to have minior face Pheromosa anyway, at least until it gets a shell smash up. But that's easier said than done.

But then again, Pheromosa against minior (shields up):

252+ SpA Pheromosa Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Minior: 60-72 (22.9 - 27.5%) -- 58.3% chance to 4HKO

252+ Atk Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Minior: 66-78 (25.2 - 29.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Couldn't you switch into Pherm then set up for a sweep (provided priority users are gone?)
You probably calc'd with level 50 Pheromosa. Here's the level 100 calc:

252+ SpA Pheromosa Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Minior: 226-266 (86.5 - 101.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Probably not a good idea to set up on it

You probably calc'd with level 50 Pheromosa. Here's the level 100 calc:

252+ SpA Pheromosa Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Minior: 226-266 (86.5 - 101.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Probably not a good idea to set up on it
lol, I'm tired. I could risk setting up provided I don't switch into Pherm. I need to actualy play the game more and do less theorymongering. ;)

Why does the standard Shell Smash set run 148 SpA?
Didn't the calc on the first page show that even a uninvested Power Gem does enough damage to deal with most pokemon not handeled by EQ or Acrobatics.
Shouldn't those points go into HP to improve the mediocre 60 stat?

Sorry if I'm sounding dense, but why the +speed nature on this thing? Unless I'm doing my math wrong:

After shell smash, the sharply raised stat is doubled right? So that would mean Minior-down would reach:

Still manages to outspeed Phermosa without any investment on -ve speed nature after shell smash.
That's my understanding, so I don't get why people run +ve speed natures and even invest in speed on this thing. What am I overlooking?
First of all, calcs are different at level 100... Secondly, there are faster threats, like scarf Kartana, scarf Genesect, opposing set up sweepers, and beast boosted Pheromosa.

In response to myself, after some reflection, I have found it useful to have priority even on anti-priority teams. If you see speedy threats, be careful about setting up psychic terrain. It's also useful when your opponent has their own terrains to compete with.

Edit: didn't read the other post, sorry

Not that it makes a difference, but at level 100 Pheromosa would outspeed this particular Minior set by 1 point, 441-440.

Would Double Edge be a good choice on Minior?

It doesn't provide as good coverage as Power Gem, but you can knock yourself into Shields Down with it. Still hits stuff like Rotom-W and lets you run an Adamant Nature.

I'm not sure an opponent would give you the chance if you spend a turn Shell Smashing, though. But maybe.

EDIT: Eh, starting to think Power Gem's better coverage is worth it.

Also this might be a useful benchmark? Not sure.
84 Speed EVs, neutral nature.
- Beats 0 Base 70s at +0 Shields Up (Skarmory)
- Beats 252+ Base 111s at +2 Shields Up (Thundurus - also immune to his prankster T-Wave)
- Beats 252+ Scarfed Base 130s at +2 Shields Down (Fastest scarfers, +1 Tapu Koko)

All by just a hair, at Lv. 50 and 100.

Last edited:
This thing looks very fun, both to use and face.
Doesn't feel like OU material to me; being a frail, sweeping win-con doesn't really pay in a tier of priority.
Yeah, you tried Game Freak, but priority is still relatively useful.
I don't have any sets, but I did wish to express my interest in this thing, especially it's nice core colors, and also it's surprisingly good movepool.

It's sad that it can't use it's "bulk" to actually be a thorn in the side of enemies. 100 in both defences is pretty neat though that rock typing leaves a lot to wish for.

The combo white herb- shell smash is great. I've been trying it a little and this makes Minior a beast, If Stone Edge weren't failing everytime I use it (I have bad luck) I could sweep an entire team with it, I remember that yesterday I defeated Salamance, Tapu Koko and an Ultra Beast (I don't remember which though) only with this little meteor but I don't know if Minior is OU staple, however at this moment it is doing a great job.

If Stone Edge weren't failing everytime I use it
Honestly Power Gem is a really good option. Gives you kills on defensive mons that will come against Minior most of the time like Chameleon said.
I'm definitely going for a Naïve. Would have been even funnier with Earthpower, quite unpredictable.

Honestly Power Gem is a really good option. Gives you kills on defensive mons that will come against Minior most of the time like Chameleon said.
I'm definitely going for a Naïve. Would have been even funnier with Earthpower, quite unpredictable.
Power Gem is a really good option but Stone Edge is more powerful and has a high chance to make a critical hit, besides that, Stone Edge allows me to focus those EVs by the Physical attack and getting a secondary reliable STAB move with acrobatics while Power Gem can't make a great combo with a special flying STAB move because Minior lacks of one

First of all, the best color for minior is the black variant (lol Ik it's shiny though)
I've been breeding for this thing in moon. I plan on running a straight physical set with an adamant nature, max investments in attack and speed. Shell Smash/ Acrobatics/ Earthquake/ Stone Edge
Does anyone have any idea of how you would use explosion on this? Idk I'm just curious, seems like it'd be a nice nuke right before you know it's gonna die. Though, I know you'd be missing out on either earthquake or stone edge.

I love this Pokemon. Not only is it fun to look at, but it's also fun to use and fairly effective (Although to be fair, I'm using him in the battle tree more so than in actual competitive battles). I'm running shell smash, acrobatics, stone edge, and explosion and it's doing a fine job.

Edit: May replace Explosion with Bulldoze to hit steels super effectively.

Last edited:
I love this Pokemon. Not only is it fun to look at, but it's also fun to use and fairly effective (Although to be fair, I'm using him in the battle tree more so than in actual competitive battles). I'm running shell smash, acrobatics, stone edge, and explosion and it's doing a fine job.
Don't use Stone Edge in the battle tree. If it only takes one instance of had to completely mess up a run, then 80% accuracy is not something you want to rely on. Rock Slide, while still not completely accurate, is a better alternative than Stone Edge imo

Power Gem is better anyways because Stone Edge, even with investment, basically does not get any OHKO/2HKOs that uninvested (and even minus natured) Power Gem doesn't. The only reason you'd pick Rock Slide over either is the flinch. Speaking for the Shell Smash set, anyways. See post #8.

Last edited:
If one wanted to go a special attacking set, what would one use other then Power gem and Shell Smash? HP fire and Dazzling gleam?

Special moves options are Power Gem, Ancient Power, Hidden Power, Hyper Beam, Solar Beam, Psychic, Charge Beam, Dazzling Gleam.
The movepool is really weak, aside from power Gem. HP fire for Scizor on the switch-in i guess. Charge Beam could be used against bulky water types and would allow you to boost even more but is useless against water/ground ones. Dazzling Gleam must be run i think, if it had a special flying move it would provide better coverage but unfortunately...

It reaaally lacks Earth Power, it would be so good. Maybe Grass Knot too.

If you want to go "almost fully special" you could run PG/DG/EQ, for almost the same coverage as the physical set.
Naive 4EV +2 EQ does like 70-80% to standard Metagross-M.

Last edited:
Special moves options are Power Gem, Ancient Power, Hidden Power, Hyper Beam, Solar Beam, Psychic, Charge Beam, Dazzling Gleam.
The movepool is really weak, aside from power Gem. HP fire for Scizor on the switch-in i guess. Charge Beam could be used against bulky water types and would allow you to boost even more but is useless against water/ground ones. Dazzling Gleam must be run i think, if it had a special flying move it would provide better coverage but unfortunately...

If you want to go "almost fully special" you could run PG/DG/EQ, for almost the same coverage as the physical set.
Yeah it would have been nice to have air cutter or air slash.

I like that Almost fully special Set. its seems to be the opposite of the almost fully physical set, just replacing Dazzling gleam over Acrobatics.

Not sure what set I will use that. I like both. Guess it depends what the rest of the team will be.

There is hp ground but I'm not sure it's worth it over EQ. Looks like it does similar damage against offensive metagross:

+2 252 SpA Minior-Down Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 202-238 (67.1 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 4 Atk Minior-Down Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 204-240 (67.7 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Well there's always the option of running Modest instead of Naive, or even Rash, why the hell not. Since the relevant Steel threats will generally carry BP (Scizor, Metagross) and you have nothing to hit water types that may carry scald (Toxapex maybe, can't do the calcs right now) + you won't stay in against them ; it's not a big deal to lower your SpDef i guess.
I'll check for Excadrill and Magnezone too, but i guess generally full-special wouldn't really be a good choice.

yeah it seems while A full special set could work, its not fully ideal

So I was looking at the top post with the naive nature. Is no HP eves fine? wouldn't you want some HP to survive a really strong hit after shell smash?

White herb keeps you at +0 and you have a nice 60/100/100 bulk so while you have to be careful to your matchup when setting up you should be able to live
Too much bulk could even prevent you for triggering Shields Down in one hit, leaving you unable to kill the foe (example : strong power-up punches followed by any SE attack from a faster ennemy, it's not hard to get outsped if you still have Shields Up even at +2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)