Pokémon Mimikyu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Gyarados does not really care much about Mimikyu.

It does not get OHKOed by a boosted Play Rough and it can, in fact, Dragon Dance freely on it.

+1 252 Atk Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 208-246 (62.8 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Then, it's a matter of mega evolving, as you now outspeed Mimikyu and Shadow Sneak does laughable damage.

+1 252 Atk Mimikyu Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados-Mega: 36-42 (10.8 - 12.6%) -- possible 8HKO
aah that's true, as long as you switch in on the SD.
A life orb set still poses an issue though.
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 270-320 (81.5 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 270-320 (81.5 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

aah that's true, as long as you switch in on the SD.
A life orb set still poses an issue though.
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 270-320 (81.5 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 270-320 (81.5 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Let's not forget a rare Taunt onto the switching in Gyarandos preventing DD from being used or a possible Pain Split to make M-Gyarados an easier target if it decides to stay in. Rare Will-O-Wisp or T-Wave being used on Gyarados on the switch in also makes the opposing Pokemon easier to cope with (the Burn halves M-Gyarados from doing too much harm while Paralysis makes it dead slow against it). Let's also not get started on the sole fact that Mimikyu naturally learns Mimic AND Copycat, Opposing Mimikyu used Copycat! The Opposing Mimikyu used Dragon Dance! Do the damage specs that a +1 252+ LO Mimikyu Play Rough does against 0 HP/4 Def M-Gyarados...actually here are the specs:
+1 252+ Atk LO Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega-Gyarados: 242 - 283 (142.3 - 166.4%) -- Guaranteed OHKO. That's if M-Gyarados was at full HP when it got hit. M-Gyarados isn't going to last for one turn at all.
+1 252+ Atk LO Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 153-183 (90 - 107.6%) -- Possible OHKO. That is also if Gyarados was at full HP upon switching in and reducing that SD boost to +1. By chance Gyarados survived, going Mega would not help as none of its non-boosted moves are going to OHKO a full HP Mimikyu while Mimikyu can Shadow Sneak and pick up the KO making you lose a Mega for free.

I would just like to point out that Swords Dance raises Mimikyu's Attack by two stages, not one. And Mimikyu's should always run Speed boosting natures over Attack ones so they can outspeed Lele.

I would just like to point out that Swords Dance raises Mimikyu's Attack by two stages, not one. And Mimikyu's should always run Speed boosting natures over Attack ones so they can outspeed Lele.
+1 is taking into account Intimidate Gyarados

Ah, good point, I was assuming M-Gyarados was already Mega before Mimikyu came in.
Still, Gyarados shouldn't come in directly on Mimikyu until that things move pool is scouted out rather well. If Gyarados came in and Mimikyu Taunt'd it, it can't use DD so it can't OHKO it even with Mold Breaker and Mimikyu could status Gyarados before going down or hit it with a Will-O-Wisp so it can't KO it that fast, Gyarados would also hate T-Wave. I should also try to re-mention that since Mimikyu naturally learns Mimic and Copycat, it's somewhat risky to try to buff up when that thing could spam Copycat and get the same buffs if you were somehow faster than it, that's pretty scary since a +2~4 Atk and +2~4 Spd Mimikyu is not something you want to be on the receiving end of if it's either running Adamant or Jolly Nature. Since it learns Will-O-Wisp, T-Wave and Taunt by TM... Will-O-Wisp cripples opponents who would try to ram it with their superior Attack stat while T-Wave makes Mimikyu faster than just about any threat to it once they get paralyzed, either option isn't funny new if the switch-in isn't immune or doesn't care about those status ailments. Lastly Taunt prevents the opponents from Taunt'ing it if they think it will SD, switch-in and get Taunt'd and watch the thing get up a SD and start slamming you with Play Rough or Shadow Claw, your day gets ugly pretty quickly.

Still, Gyarados shouldn't come in directly on Mimikyu until that things move pool is scouted out rather well. If Gyarados came in and Mimikyu Taunt'd it, it can't use DD so it can't OHKO it even with Mold Breaker and Mimikyu could status Gyarados before going down or hit it with a Will-O-Wisp so it can't KO it that fast, Gyarados would also hate T-Wave. I should also try to re-mention that since Mimikyu naturally learns Mimic and Copycat, it's somewhat risky to try to buff up when that thing could spam Copycat and get the same buffs if you were somehow faster than it, that's pretty scary since a +2~4 Atk and +2~4 Spd Mimikyu is not something you want to be on the receiving end of if it's either running Adamant or Jolly Nature. Since it learns Will-O-Wisp, T-Wave and Taunt by TM... Will-O-Wisp cripples opponents who would try to ram it with their superior Attack stat while T-Wave makes Mimikyu faster than just about any threat to it once they get paralyzed, either option isn't funny new if the switch-in isn't immune or doesn't care about those status ailments. Lastly Taunt prevents the opponents from Taunt'ing it if they think it will SD, switch-in and get Taunt'd and watch the thing get up a SD and start slamming you with Play Rough or Shadow Claw, your day gets ugly pretty quickly.
To be perfectly frank, if you try to buff up while Mimikyu and its Disguise are up, you deserve for it to sweep you. Also I would not take the risk with Mimic/Copycat since there aren't many buffers that are faster than Mimikyu and would choose to not attack Mimikyu before it buffed itself up. Giving Mimikyu any sort of time to buff up is bad. Mimikyu works fine with just Swords Dance, Shadow Sneak, Shadow Claw, and Play Rough. I wouldn't run Taunt since that's counter-productive to keeping Mimikyu alive. If status is an issue, just Lum Berry. Otherwise, majority of people are going to be attacking Mimikyu even without buffing first because it's a very bad idea not to. If Mimikyu pulls off Swords Dance and its Disguise is still up, you've either got a Toxapex to deal with it or you're about to have a very bad day. As for the whole Taunting Taunters point, it is a good point, except Mimikyu can OHKO a popular fast Taunter even without Swords Dance.

252 Atk Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Weavile: 324-384 (115.3 - 136.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

What other Taunters are faster than Mimikyu and wouldn't be scared of being hit by an unboosted Play Rough?

To be perfectly frank, if you try to buff up while Mimikyu and its Disguise are up, you deserve for it to sweep you. Also I would not take the risk with Mimic/Copycat since there aren't many buffers that are faster than Mimikyu and would choose to not attack Mimikyu before it buffed itself up. Giving Mimikyu any sort of time to buff up is bad. Mimikyu works fine with just Swords Dance, Shadow Sneak, Shadow Claw, and Play Rough. I wouldn't run Taunt since that's counter-productive to keeping Mimikyu alive. If status is an issue, just Lum Berry. Otherwise, majority of people are going to be attacking Mimikyu even without buffing first because it's a very bad idea not to. If Mimikyu pulls off Swords Dance and its Disguise is still up, you've either got a Toxapex to deal with it or you're about to have a very bad day. As for the whole Taunting Taunters point, it is a good point, except Mimikyu can OHKO a popular fast Taunter even without Swords Dance.

252 Atk Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Weavile: 324-384 (115.3 - 136.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

What other Taunters are faster than Mimikyu and wouldn't be scared of being hit by an unboosted Play Rough?
Possible Gengar (Base Speed of 110) but that's just one of the possible Taunt'ers, resists Play Rough but gets killed by an unboosted Shadow Claw. I said Taunt because if Mimikyu gets hit by a stray Will-O-Wisp or T-Wave from a very bulky wall, you lose that Lum Berry and if you have it carry it, your opponent might try to repeat that move again knowing that you can't remove that status ailment once it gets hit again. True, not many are going to even think about buffing up when Mimikyu running SD is a very bad day for anyone who can't accurately take it out before losing their own team to it alone. I can just see somehow someone bringing in a RCurseEon (Flareon + Curse/Rest) at some point and making Mimikyu spam Shadow Claw in hopes for a crit or else it'll lose. Ghost/Fairy is a powerful dual-STAB combo as just two Pokemon (one Pokemon and its evolution) are safe from it (immune to Ghost-Type attacks and resistant to Fairy-Type blows) but risk being knocked out by a Rock-Type blow. It's just that...this thing alone plays such a mind game that the moment it pops up on your screen as an opponent you just want it dead as you know it desires your demise.

Possible Gengar (Base Speed of 110) but that's just one of the possible Taunt'ers, resists Play Rough but gets killed by an unboosted Shadow Claw. I said Taunt because if Mimikyu gets hit by a stray Will-O-Wisp or T-Wave from a very bulky wall, you lose that Lum Berry and if you have it carry it, your opponent might try to repeat that move again knowing that you can't remove that status ailment once it gets hit again. True, not many are going to even think about buffing up when Mimikyu running SD is a very bad day for anyone who can't accurately take it out before losing their own team to it alone. I can just see somehow someone bringing in a RCurseEon (Flareon + Curse/Rest) at some point and making Mimikyu spam Shadow Claw in hopes for a crit or else it'll lose. Ghost/Fairy is a powerful dual-STAB combo as just two Pokemon (one Pokemon and its evolution) are safe from it (immune to Ghost-Type attacks and resistant to Fairy-Type blows) but risk being knocked out by a Rock-Type blow. It's just that...this thing alone plays such a mind game that the moment it pops up on your screen as an opponent you just want it dead as you know it desires your demise.
But running Taunt is still counter-productive. I can't think of any Sub runner who uses Taunt, and Mimikyu is basically a free Sub runner. Both Burn and Paralyze were nerfed anyway, so a +2 Mimikyu is still going to hurt and still has priority with Shadow Sneak. At that point, you're just banking on the random paralyze chance or for Burn to slow knock it out. Lum Berry still works fabulously because if someone thinks you're using Life Orb, they're about to be hit by a SD'd priority move or a very big nuke.

252 Atk Mimikyu Shadow Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 270-320 (103 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (If Gengar Taunts)
+2 252 Atk Mimikyu Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 308-366 (117.5 - 139.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO (If Gengar tries to Burn)

But running Taunt is still counter-productive. I can't think of any Sub runner who uses Taunt, and Mimikyu is basically a free Sub runner. Both Burn and Paralyze were nerfed anyway, so a +2 Mimikyu is still going to hurt and still has priority with Shadow Sneak. At that point, you're just banking on the random paralyze chance or for Burn to slow knock it out. Lum Berry still works fabulously because if someone thinks you're using Life Orb, they're about to be hit by a SD'd priority move or a very big nuke.

252 Atk Mimikyu Shadow Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 270-320 (103 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (If Gengar Taunts)
+2 252 Atk Mimikyu Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 308-366 (117.5 - 139.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO (If Gengar tries to Burn)
The damage form Burns is lowered but the Burn Debuff halves the victim's Atk stat, Paralysis as you mentioned isn't that big of a deal thanks to SN. You could also say trying to 'fake-out' the opponent by spamming one move in particular making them think that you are running a C-Scarf if the opponent's team is running 'Mons with high Speed stats then possibly using Grudge, Curse or Destiny Bond when you know your Mimikyu is about to do its' final task for you.

The damage form Burns is lowered but the Burn Debuff halves the victim's Atk stat, Paralysis as you mentioned isn't that big of a deal thanks to SN. You could also say trying to 'fake-out' the opponent by spamming one move in particular making them think that you are running a C-Scarf if the opponent's team is running 'Mons with high Speed stats then possibly using Grudge, Curse or Destiny Bond when you know your Mimikyu is about to do its' final task for you.
Ahh, okay it was just a damage nerf. Well, let's see, Burned Mimikyu...

+2 252 Atk burned Mimikyu Shadow Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 270-318 (103 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

... I accept our new Ghost Overlord.

Ahh, okay it was just a damage nerf. Well, let's see, Burned Mimikyu...

+2 252 Atk burned Mimikyu Shadow Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 270-318 (103 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

... I accept our new Ghost Overlord.
Bows to the new Ghost 'Ruler' of Pokemon.
It's around this time I really wonder if that Steel-Type nerf was useful as otherwise Bronzong and Metagross would look really good around now if that nerf didn't happen...

252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 48 Def Crobat: 84-100 (22.5 - 26.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Shadow Claw vs. 248 HP / 48 Def Crobat: 133-156 (35.6 - 41.8%) -- 80.9% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 121-142 (37.4 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Not sure how common these are, but felt like throwing out some options.

252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 48 Def Crobat: 84-100 (22.5 - 26.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Shadow Claw vs. 248 HP / 48 Def Crobat: 133-156 (35.6 - 41.8%) -- 80.9% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 121-142 (37.4 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Not sure how common these are, but felt like throwing out some options.
Hmm, good options. Neither are really common anymore, though people still love trying to use Whimsicott. Only problem they would have is they can't do much back to Mimikyu. Crobat could, but it'd take three turns to do so (one to break Disguise and then 2 Brave Birds). Which give the opponent time to figure out what to do and probably switch out to a Steel or Rock type. Still, good to keep those two in mind.

Hmm, good options. Neither are really common anymore, though people still love trying to use Whimsicott. Only problem they would have is they can't do much back to Mimikyu. Crobat could, but it'd take three turns to do so (one to break Disguise and then 2 Brave Birds). Which give the opponent time to figure out what to do and probably switch out to a Steel or Rock type. Still, good to keep those two in mind.
Maybe A-Persian? It's a lot faster with taunt, furcoat makes play rough essentially a neutral hit, foul play is SE, and it can parting shot out.

Edit: jk FP is neutral hit.

Maybe A-Persian? It's a lot faster with taunt, furcoat makes play rough essentially a neutral hit, foul play is SE, and it can parting shot out.
Fairy resists Dark so Foul Play is neutral, but let's see.

0- Atk Persian-Alola Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 145-172 (57.7 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Fur Coat Persian-Alola: 174-206 (64.2 - 76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Unfortunately looks like Mimikyu would still win the trade off. Actually A-Persian would have a better time getting rid of Mimikyu if Mimikyu is allowed to SD.

+2 0- Atk Persian-Alola Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 291-343 (115.9 - 136.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As max Speed EV Modest A-Persian is still faster than max EV Jolly Mimikyu, Persian would hit first (or the Mimikyu would know it's about to be KO'd and do chip damage with Shadow Sneak). So if Mimikyu does SD while you break its Disguise, Foul Play gets stronger as a result and can reliably KO Mimikyu. A-Persian seems to be the best Mimikyu counter I've seen so far.

Fairy resists Dark so Foul Play is neutral, but let's see.

0- Atk Persian-Alola Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 145-172 (57.7 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Fur Coat Persian-Alola: 174-206 (64.2 - 76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Unfortunately looks like Mimikyu would still win the trade off. Actually A-Persian would have a better time getting rid of Mimikyu if Mimikyu is allowed to SD.

+2 0- Atk Persian-Alola Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 291-343 (115.9 - 136.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As max Speed EV Modest A-Persian is still faster than max EV Jolly Mimikyu, Persian would hit first (or the Mimikyu would know it's about to be KO'd and do chip damage with Shadow Sneak). So if Mimikyu does SD while you break its Disguise, Foul Play gets stronger as a result and can reliably KO Mimikyu. A-Persian seems to be the best Mimikyu counter I've seen so far.
Wouldn't 252 HP/4 Spd/ 252 Spe A- Persian be the standard? I typically see it run Foul Play, Taunt, Parting Shot, Toxic(Roar) sets so having SpA investment seems pointless.

Edit: Just calcd, best stat spread would be 244HP 8 Def A-Persian. Damage is still done though:

252 Atk Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 244 HP / 8 Def Fur Coat Persian-Alola: 170-204 (51.2 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Best set to counter would be 252 HP/152 Def/104 Spe Jolly nature. It out speeds by 1 and can almost always take 3 hits. You can probably move some more points into speed if want:

252 Atk Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 152 Def Fur Coat Persian-Alola: 140-168 (41.9 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 152 Def Fur Coat Persian-Alola: 278-330 (83.2 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Wouldn't 252 HP/4 Spd/ 252 Spe A- Persian be the standard? I typically see it run Foul Play, Taunt, Parting Shot, Toxic(Roar) sets so having SpA investment seems pointless.

Edit: Just calcd, best stat spread would be 244HP 8 Def A-Persian. Damage is still done though:

252 Atk Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 244 HP / 8 Def Fur Coat Persian-Alola: 170-204 (51.2 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Best set to counter would be 252 HP/152 Def/104 Spe Jolly nature. It out speeds by 1 and can almost always take 3 hits. You can probably move some more points into speed if want:

252 Atk Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 152 Def Fur Coat Persian-Alola: 140-168 (41.9 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 152 Def Fur Coat Persian-Alola: 278-330 (83.2 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I do weird things at times, like seeing if Nature did affect Foul Play. Anyway, yeah. A-Persian seems to be the answer to beating Mimikyu.

What do people think the best Bulk Up spread is? Are there any better EVs than just 252 HP and 252+ SpDef?

I'm currently trying to assemble a Aurora Veil team, and Bulk Up Mimikyu seems like a natural fit (a completely free turn to sub, which special attackers won't easily be able to get through, allowing for two easy Bulk-Ups and another sub), and am currently running Bulk Up/Sub/Shadow Claw/Play Rough with the previously mentioned EV spread - but I wasn't sure if there was a better tweak to the standard set that I should be thinking of?

I tried a weird set, but it worked, especially against stall mons with recovery.

252 spdef 252 spd 4 def timid or jolly nature
Substitute
Pain split
Curse
Wil o wisp

I understand Mimikyu isn't massive, but I take it it's still considered OU viable enough for a thread.

How does it perform in the current Meta? Disguise obviously puts its niche in place, but the power of spammable Ghost STAB is always a plus, and being a bit faster than Tapu Lele means it discourages the Fairy from blocking its Shadow Sneak.

Is anything changing for better or worse for Mimikyu?

I thought the Gimmickyu thread would of been locked by now
Nah. While it's still a niche pick, it works like wonders on Hyper Offense, and with the proper support (SR and maybe Sticky Web) it can easily take out more than one mon, specially in a meta where the only ghost resist are both Tyranitar and Chansey.

It might drop in the future once more megas are out, but at this point is too early to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)