Project Metagame Workshop

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
A luck reduction OM like the 90% hax OM I posted would compete with standard metagames for the playerbase as you said, but I disagree that such formats would not last. If it is better than the relevant standard format, it can be successful
Hax-removing formats have been soundly rejected for a couple reasons. Outside of the competition / lack of a niche that it has compared to different metagames, metas that aim to remove hax have to have far too many caveats to fit the ideal OM bill of "one uniform change"; there are far too many things to account for to have it be reasonable (things like damage rolls, speed ties & switch order on said ties, full paras & thawing, dire claw / effect spore rolls, sleep talk / metronome calls, 30% secondaries (always activating is broken and never activating is near useless), and multiple others simply can't fit under a single concise definition).

Hax-removing formats have been soundly rejected for a couple reasons. Outside of the competition / lack of a niche that it has compared to different metagames, metas that aim to remove hax have to have far too many caveats to fit the ideal OM bill of "one uniform change"; there are far too many things to account for to have it be reasonable (things like damage rolls, speed ties & switch order on said ties, full paras & thawing, dire claw / effect spore rolls, sleep talk / metronome calls, 30% secondaries (always activating is broken and never activating is near useless), and multiple others simply can't fit under a single definition).
The way I see it, things you can't account for or change the game drastically like (things like damage rolls, speed ties & switch order on said ties, full paras & thawing, dire claw / effect spore rolls, sleep talk / metronome calls) don't change it. You can strategically go for 30% secondaries, but 10% or below is something that is usually more of a nuisance than a strategy.

Although sleep to always be 2 turns is doable.
Removing damage rolls would affect set guessing

Last edited:
Metagame name: Weaknessmons(better name pending)

Metagame premise: Pokemon can only learn moves for the types that they are weak to, without factoring in abilities.

Examples: Gholdengo is weak to Fire, Ghost, Dark, and Ground moves. Therefore, Gholdengo would only learn Fire, Ghost, Dark, and Ground moves. Existing movepool is ignored.
Example 2: Rotom-Wash is immune to Ground via Levitate, but the Electric/Water typing makes it weak to Grass and Ground. Therefore, Rotom-Wash gets Grass and Ground moves.

Potential bans and threats:
:gholdengo: :dragapult: :gengar: Ghost types get a big boost in this format, as they can use their best STAB options, unlike a lot of other mons.
:chi-yu: :palafin: :magearna: Normally broken mons like these may be balanced in this metagame, as they lack reliable STAB options and can end up being weaker than the competition.
As for bans, probably the standard OU banlist with these changes:
- Dragapult
+ Chi-Yu
+ Palafin
+ Magearna
+ Annihilape(?)

Questions for the community: Are there any broken moves that should be banned day 1? Is Gholdengo gonna be overwhelming?
Also I'd like to add that Gholdengo does seem pretty strong.
:gholdengo: @ Leftovers
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Ground/Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Shore Up
- Shadow Ball
- Earth Power/Fire Blast/Flamethrower

LOrd Fernado

I COULD BE BANNED!

Metagame premise: Pokemon can only learn moves for the types that they are weak to, without factoring in abilities.

Examples: Gholdengo is weak to Fire, Ghost, Dark, and Ground moves. Therefore, Gholdengo would only learn Fire, Ghost, Dark, and Ground moves. Existing movepool is ignored.
Example 2: Rotom-Wash is immune to Ground via Levitate, but the Electric/Water typing makes it weak to Grass and Ground. Therefore, Rotom-Wash gets Grass and Ground moves.

:gholdengo: :dragapult: :gengar: Ghost types get a big boost in this format, as they can use their best STAB options, unlike a lot of other mons.
:chi-yu: :palafin: :magearna: Normally broken mons like these may be balanced in this metagame, as they lack reliable STAB options and can end up being weaker than the competition.
- Dragapult
+ Chi-Yu
+ Palafin
+ Magearna
+ Annihilape(?)

Questions for the community: Are there any broken moves that should be banned day 1? Is Gholdengo gonna be overwhelming?
this metagame sounds interesting so i’m going to run my thoughts (also i’m assuming tera is banned) also can normal type moves be unchanged for the pokemon due to it not hitting super effectively
:magearna:
Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul Heart
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat / Armor Cannon
- Earth Power
- Shore Up
- Torch Song / Spikes / Will-O-Wisp
fire / ground coverage is insane and has stuff like hazards, status, recovery
:greninja:
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Vacuum Wave
- Thunderbolt / Energy Ball / Matcha Gotcha
- Moonblast / Aura Sphere
ok this shit is crazy. it has 4 types of coverage, TAIL GLOW, and priority as well as an ability that makes it harder to kill. choice sets are scary too but this is the monstrosity. ban this shi. or restrict tail glow.
:iron-valiant:
Iron Valiant @ Life Orb / Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shift Gear
- Play Rough
- Iron Head / Brave Bird
- Psychic Fangs / Gunk Shot
hey another broken sweeper. like i said before ban this or restrict shift gear.
:ogerpon:
Ogerpon @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Icicle Crash
- Gunk Shot / Brave Bird
alr set but hard walled by ROCK lmao
:garchomp:
Garchomp @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Scale Shot
- Icicle Spear
- Play Rough / Ice Shard
bax 2.0?!?

:greninja:
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Vacuum Wave
- Thunderbolt / Energy Ball / Matcha Gotcha
- Moonblast / Aura Sphere
ok this shit is crazy. it has 4 types of coverage, TAIL GLOW, and priority as well as an ability that makes it harder to kill. choice sets are scary too but this is the monstrosity. ban this shi. or restrict tail glow.
Worth noting that Tail Glow currently doesn't exist in SV. It can't be used in this meta.
As for normal moves, they simply don't exist. There are no normal type moves in the metagame.

Ghost types get a big boost in this format, as they can use their best STAB options, unlike a lot of other mons.
Dragon types too, of course, which I assume is why you banned Dragapult.
  • Galarian Zapdos, Flamigo, Hawlucha
  • Gallade, Medicham
  • Iron Valiant
  • (Archeops, Aerodactyl and Minior aren't available)
  • Articuno, Delibird
  • Clodsire
  • Munkidori, Galarian Slowbro, Glaraian Slowking
  • Mamoswine
  • (Terrakion isn't available)
  • Golem
  • Yanmega, Scyther, Vespiquen, Masquerain
  • Kleavor
  • Lucario
  • Iron Treads, Alolan Dugtrio
  • Camerupt
  • Hisuian Arcanine, Coalossal, Magcargo
  • Jumpluff, Tropius
  • Leavanny
  • Abomasnow
  • Sandy Shocks
  • Rabsca
  • Crabominable
  • Hisuian Avalugg
  • Single Strike Urshifu
  • Lokix
  • Grimmsnarl

Last edited:
Other Pokémon which get one STAB
  • Gallade, Medicham
  • Articuno, Delibird
  • Munkidori, Galarian Slowbro, Glaraian Slowking
  • Mamoswine
  • Abomasnow
Unless I'm misunderstanding the premise, none of these get STAB. While Fighting is weak to Psychic, Fighting/Psychic is not, so Gallade cannot use Psychic attacks.

Grimmsnarl will probably be good, since it has access to Toxic/Toxic Spikes/Mortal Spin, Moonlight, and fairy STAB, as well as immunity to Dragon and resistance to Ghost.

Last edited:
Inspired by nobody lol
Unnormalized

Ever heard of the ability Pixilate? This ability, introduced in Generation 6, turned all Normal type moves into Fairy type moves and gave those moves 1.2x power. In this metagame, all Normal type moves are turned into the pokemon's primary type and given 1.2x power!

Rules:

Mechanic: All Normal type moves are turned into a pokemon's primary type and given 1.2x power

Clauses: Sleep Clause (Limit one foe put to sleep), Species Clause (Limit one of each Pokemon), OHKO Clause (OHKO moves are banned), Evasion Items Clause (Evasion Items are banned), Evasion Moves Clause (Evasion Moves are banned)
Banlist:
Banned Pokemon:
:calyrex-shadow:Calyrex-Shadow
:arceus:Arceus(All Forms)
:baxcalibur:Baxcalibur
:chien-pao:Chien-Pao
:chi-yu:Chi-Yu
:darkrai:Darkrai
:dialga:Dialga(Base+Origin)
:espathra:Espathra
:eternatus:Eternatus
:flutter mane:Flutter Mane
:giratina:Giratina(Base+Origin)
:groudon:Groudon
:koraidon:Koraidon
:kyogre:Kyogre
:landorus:Landorus-I
:magearna-original:Magearna
:mewtwo:Mewtwo
:miraidon:Miraidon
:ogerpon-hearthflame:Ogerpon-Fire
:palafin-hero:Palafin
:palkia:Palkia(Base+Origin)
:rayquaza:Rayquaza
:regieleki:Regieleki
:roaring moon:Roaring Moon
:shaymin-sky:Shaymin-Sky
:spectrier:Spectrier
:ursaluna-bloodmoon:Ursaluna-Blood
:urshifu:Urshifu(Single+Rapid)
:zacian-crowned:Zacian(Base+Crown)
:zamazenta-crowned:Zamazenta-Crowned
Banned Moves:
:annihilape:Rage Fist
:orthworm:Shed Tail
:basculegion:Last Respects
:scream tail:Baton Pass
Banned Items:
:politoed:Kings Rock
Watchlist:
:dragonite:Extreme Speed
:toxtricity:Boomburst

Strategy:

Increased Viability:
This includes some examples of Pokemon that would be excellent in this metagame:

:noivern:Flying Type Boomburst? Count me in! Noivern would be a huge threat in this metagame due to its high speed stat and immensly powerful Boomburst that would certainly threaten many Pokemon.
:toxtricity:Electric Type Boomburst+Punk Rock? Count me in again! With Shift Gear, this mon would outspeed most if not all pokemon and would shake the earth with how powerful this Boomburst would be.
Decreased Viability:
:blissey: Normal Types such as Blissey would get absolutely no benefit since they are already Normal Type Pokemon, so Normal Types will struggle quite a bit.

Q&A:

Question: How does this metagame work with Normal Type Pokemon?

Answer: Normal Types don't get any boost whatsoever, and their Normal Type moves stay as Normal Type moves.

Question: How does Tera Blast work?
Answer: Since Tera Blast is a Normal Type move, it will be affected and changed to the typing based on a Pokemon's primary Type. After Tera, Tera Blast will not be affected unless the Pokemon is Tera Normal.

Resources:

Playability: This format is not playable yet.

Council:
:iron bundle:Gambit_Gamin
Ban History: None yet.

Closing Statement:

I believe that this metagame will succeed for a multitude of reasons. Number one, every single physically attacking Pokemon has access to a physical Normal move(Facade). This does not mean that some pokemon won't have a physical move since every physical attacker has access to Facade. Number two, every single special attacking Pokemon gets acess to Tera Blast. Even though you might want to have a defensive Tera Type, many pokemon also have access to Hyper Voice, as well as Uproar. Number three, giving Pokemon abilities such as Pixilate and Aerilate has been an interesting idea for me as well as many other people. This is shown to be done in other metagames such as AAA(Almost Any Ability). If you have read this far, thank you and let me know if you have any questions or any suggestions on how I should handle this metagame.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Inspired by nobody lol
Unnormalized

Ever heard of the ability Pixilate? This ability, introduced in Generation 6, turned all Normal type moves into Fairy type moves and gave those moves 1.2x power. In this metagame, all Normal type moves are turned into the pokemon's primary type and given 1.2x power!

Rules:

Mechanic: All Normal type moves are turned into a pokemon's primary type and given 1.2x power

Clauses: Sleep Clause (Limit one foe put to sleep), Species Clause (Limit one of each Pokemon), OHKO Clause (OHKO moves are banned), Evasion Items Clause (Evasion Items are banned), Evasion Moves Clause (Evasion Moves are banned)
Banlist:
Banned Pokemon:
Banned Moves:
Banned Items:
Watchlist:

Strategy:

Increased Viability:
This includes some examples of Pokemon that would be excellent in this metagame:

:noivern:Flying Type Boomburst? Count me in! Noivern would be a huge threat in this metagame due to its high speed stat and immensly powerful Boomburst that would certainly threaten many Pokemon.
:toxtricity:Electric Type Boomburst+Punk Rock? Count me in again! With Shift Gear, this mon would outspeed most if not all pokemon and would shake the earth with how powerful this Boomburst would be.
Decreased Viability:
:blissey: Normal Types such as Blissey would get absolutely no benefit since they are already Normal Type Pokemon, so Normal Types will struggle quite a bit.

Q&A:

Answer: Normal Types don't get any boost whatsoever, and their Normal Type moves stay as Normal Type moves.

Answer: Since Tera Blast is a Normal Type move, it will be affected and changed to the typing based on a Pokemon's primary Type. After Tera, Tera Blast will not be affected unless the Pokemon is Tera Normal.

Resources:

Council:

Closing Statement:

I believe that this metagame will succeed for a multitude of reasons. Number one, every single physically attacking Pokemon has access to a physical Normal move(Facade). This does not mean that some pokemon won't have a physical move since every physical attacker has access to Facade. Number two, every single special attacking Pokemon gets acess to Tera Blast. Even though you might want to have a defensive Tera Type, many pokemon also have access to Hyper Voice, as well as Uproar. Number three, giving Pokemon abilities such as Pixilate and Aerilate has been an interesting idea for me as well as many other people. This is shown to be done in other metagames such as AAA(Almost Any Ability). If you have read this far, thank you and let me know if you have any questions or any suggestions on how I should handle this metagame.
This existed before but got pretty much replaced by Revelationmons, that does pretty much the same but better, as is not limited to Normal moves.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/revelationmons.3711644/
There really isn't much point to it, sorry.

- Dragapult
+ Chi-Yu
+ Palafin
+ Magearna
+ Annihilape(?)

interesting concept. gholdengo may be overwhelming cuz usual checks like kingambit r nerfed here. magearna also seems like a great defensive staple
:magearna:
Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
Tera Type: Steel
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shore Up
- Torch Song
- Will-O-Wisp / Scorching Sands / Earth Power
- Spikes
can act as an anti-dragon
[e: oops seems like LOrd Fernado beat me to it]

here's another
:skeledirge:
Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fairy / Dark
- Salt Cure
- Shore Up
- Spikes
- Infernal Parade
can use a tera type (assuming thats free) that beats ghosts / dragons w/e

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Every time I get on Pokémon Showdown's team builder, I notice that there's only so many moves Pokémon have access to that are considered viable. This on its own makes perfect sense, especially given the limited nature of only having four move slots to use. You the player will likely want to select the most viable moves for your Pokémon. That's all fine and well, but what happens when you remove the option to use these viable moves completely? I'm not sure how this would be implemented into Showdown's systems, but I think having an OM where you can only use Usually Useless Moves would be a fun experiment to try out. As the name implies, Pokémon would be blocked from using their quote "regular moves" as listed by the team builder, as well as any changes brought about by quickbans or suspect test.

The only think I ask is that, if for whatever strange reason you decide to try this out in Gen 1, the Gastly family in its entirety would absolutely have to be quickbanned. The lack of universally available coverage in gen 1 (most notably Hidden Power not existing yet) means that so many Pokémon's best, sometimes only available STAB moves are listed within their regular viable movepools instead of in the Usually Useless Moves section. As a result, Normal-Type filler moves would have to take their place, and... well, they're the only Ghost-Types in the game. Do I really need to explain this one? Gen 1 Usually Useless Moves Gengar specifically might be one of the most hilariously broken Pokémon in any metagame I could think of- Self Destruct being available due to also learning Explosion normally, STAB Lick for Ghost-Type mirrors, access to Thunder because screw you, and most Ground and Psychic moves would be gone as an added bonus. Yikes. (Edit: It also has 130 base Special and 110 base Speed in a generation where all of the faster OU Pokémon than Gengar would have their utility moves like Recover and Thunder Wave banned too.)

Every time I get on Pokémon Showdown's team builder, I notice that there's only so many moves Pokémon have access to that are considered viable. This on its own makes perfect sense, especially given the limited nature of only having four move slots to use. You the player will likely want to select the most viable moves for your Pokémon. That's all fine and well, but what happens when you remove the option to use these viable moves completely? I'm not sure how this would be implemented into Showdown's systems, but I think having an OM where you can only use Usually Useless Moves would be a fun experiment to try out. As the name implies, Pokémon would be blocked from using their quote "regular moves" as listed by the team builder, as well as any changes brought about by quickbans or suspect test.

The only think I ask is that, if for whatever strange reason you decide to try this out in Gen 1, the Gastly family in its entirety would absolutely have to be quickbanned. The lack of universally available coverage in gen 1 (most notably Hidden Power not existing yet) means that so many Pokémon's best, sometimes only available STAB moves are listed within their regular viable movepools instead of in the Usually Useless Moves section. As a result, Normal-Type filler moves would have to take their place, and... well, they're the only Ghost-Types in the game. Do I really need to explain this one? Gen 1 Usually Useless Moves Gengar specifically might be one of the most hilariously broken Pokémon in any metagame I could think of- Self Destruct being available due to also learning Explosion normally, STAB Lick for Ghost-Type mirrors, access to Thunder because screw you, and most Ground and Psychic moves would be gone as an added bonus. Yikes.
The honchos aren't big on subtractive OMs. For it to get the ok you'd prolly need to soft-force UUMs being used through a power bump or something.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
The honchos aren't big on subtractive OMs. For it to get the ok you'd prolly need to soft-force UUMs being used through a power bump or something.
Honestly, that's fair. I can understand that. I feel like a lot of my ideas could also fall under the subtractive umbrella, but I'm not upset about that. The guys in charge would naturally want to encourage development and creativity rather than take away from it. Not to mention Custom Games are always going to a be a thing that exist for experimentation purposes anyways. Just like how I can experiment with how broken a Gen 1 Slaking would be lol

This existed before but got pretty much replaced by Revelationmons, that does pretty much the same but better, as is not limited to Normal moves.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/revelationmons.3711644/
There really isn't much point to it, sorry.
One of my slight concerns was this being to similar to Revelationmons, and I guess you have a point. By the way, what was the metagame that existed before that got replaced by Revelationmons. Also, don't be sorry, you are just doing your job.

Chinchou1984

Banned deucer.
Inspired by nobody lol
Unnormalized

Rules:

Banlist:
Banned Pokemon:
Banned Moves:
Banned Items:
Watchlist:

Strategy:

Increased Viability:

Decreased Viability:

Q&A:

Resources:

Council:

Closing Statement:

what if the pokemon has a secondary type and normal as primary? Would it not turn normal moves into the secondary type?

Chinchou1984

Banned deucer.
Would a metagame where everyone must move every other turn as if they had the Truant ability be too crazy or unpopular?

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
Would a metagame where everyone must move every other turn as if they had the Truant ability be too crazy or unpopular?
Pointless meta idea, just gonna be frank, first off there are a load of things that could abuse it resulting in a speed/underspeed meta, protect would be banned, and on a more basic point it is a boring, annoying, and unfun idea. An OM should have elements that are enjoyable but not elements that are intrusive and annoying, but rather ones that are potentially dynamic, involving, simple but complex, and fun.

Premise: When a Pokemon is Knocked Out, the replacement Pokemon uses each of the Knockes Out Pokemon's status moves, in moveslot order.

For example:
:dragonite: has the following set
Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Dragon
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake

When Dragonite faints, I'll switchin my :brambleghast:

:brambleghast: will immediately use Tailwind, followed up by Dragon Dance. Thanks to its Wind Rider ability, it will also get +1 attack from the use of Tailwind.

Right off the bat bans:
Revival Blessing
Clangorus Soul
Shell Smash
Belly Drum

Watchlist
Setup moves, including Dragon Dance, Shift Gear, Agility, Tail Glow, etc.
Choice Scarf - the ability to not NEED to invest in speed control otherwise could be overpowering?

Questions: does this sound like an interesting meta? There's quite a lot to do, but I'm not aure if it'd be fun for it to evolve into 1 setup 3 attacks meta or something like that. Maybe individual bans are better such as just banning DDance or Shift Gear?

There are other toxic strategies but I am not currently as worried about those such as using 2 attacks + Disable/Encore Pokemon, so that the switchin simply stops the Pokemon it's facing from being a threat.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)