Mesprit Discussion

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Gorebyss may be the biggest threat in NU, but Mesprit is no slouch when it comes to offensive presence.

Mesprit is a mono Psychic type and the only member of its trio that sits in the dark pits of the Neverused Tier. Mesprit has base 80 speed and HP, while all of its other stats are Base 105, which gives it good bulk as well as the ability to run either a special or a physical set. Mesprit is best known for its support sets which involve laying Stealth Rock and starting weather or setting screens, but the pink pixie is also quite the powerhouse with its SubCM set. Mesprit is able to get up a sub on most Pokemon that know Toxic, which would otherwise hinder its sweep or Subbing up as it forces a switch. Once in a sub, Mesprit becomes a lot harder to stop as even if its sub gets broken, as not many Pokemon in NU can take a +1 Psychic and the ones that can have a hard time damaging it.

Sets:

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Psychic
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Thunder Wave / Toxic
move 4: U-Turn
item: Leftovers
ability: Levitate
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD

[SET]
name: SubCM
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psychic / Psyshock
move 3: Thunderbolt / Ice Beam
move 4: Substitute
item: Leftovers
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe

There's actually a ton of sets, more of which you can read here, but I'm not going to clutter the post by listing them all.

So, how potent a threat is Mesprit? How do you stop the psychic pixie? Discuss all that and more~

canno

formerly The Reptile
Mesprit is amazing, definitely a top threat of the tier. Sadly, it probably wont get much use this round, since Gorebyss is a better Special Attacker in general, Jynx is a better Scarfer, and Serperior is a better Screen Setter. However, with all the bulky waters gone, and there being almost no viable Steel-types, it can now run Ice Beam over Thunderbolt more often(unless you want to kill Gorebyss, which you probably wont).

Haunter is probably better in the role of a trick scarfer, it will at the very least speed tie with scarfed Jynx and can OHKO it comfortably with Shadow Ball.

Trick Scarf Mespirit is still a very popular set.

Mesprit is hands down one of the best utility mons in the tier atm. I see Mesprit becoming much more specially bulky in this tier shift though, mainly to handle the big hitting special hitters that will be more common

Yeah, Mespirit is amazing. I honestly doubt it'll decrease in usage at all, remember checks to the Sub CM set like Klinklang and Magneton are gone from the tier now. Sub CM sweeps with ease if you find the time to set-up, which isn't that hard. Pursuit users are annoying, especially Skuntank, but you can kill them if they're weakened a little bit.

Mespirit is also a fantastic supporter to any weather team, it has Rain Dance/Sunny Day, Stealth Rock, really good bulk, and other nifty stuff like Thunder Wave and U-turn.

I've never actually tried the Trick Scarf set nor have I seen it much, can anyone that tested it here tell me how it fared in NU last round? Also Sabinfrost, Mespirit has really good bulk unlike Haunter and access to U-turn.

Yeah, Mespirit is amazing. I honestly doubt it'll decrease in usage at all, remember checks to the Sub CM set like Klinklang and Magneton are gone from the tier now. Sub CM sweeps with ease if you find the time to set-up, which isn't that hard. Pursuit users are annoying, especially Skuntank, but you can kill them if they're weakened a little bit.

Mespirit is also a fantastic supporter to any weather team, it has Rain Dance/Sunny Day, Stealth Rock, really good bulk, and other nifty stuff like Thunder Wave and U-turn.

I've never actually tried the Trick Scarf set nor have I seen it much, can anyone that tested it here tell me how it fared in NU last round? Also Sabinfrost, Mespirit has really good bulk unlike Haunter and access to U-turn.
Mespirit is slower than Haunter with lower special attack and doesn't have Haunter's useful typing which allows it to 4x resist U-turn and be completely immune to Normal, Fighting and Ground moves. Scarf Haunter is a fantastic revenge killer and hits Mespirit set-up leads hard providing they don't go for Psychic straight away in which case they will be at low health and Pursuit bait.

I had a Trick Scarf Mespirit lead at around rank 40 for a while and fought against a couple. Generally Trick Scarf, Stealth Rock, Psychic, Ice Beam/Thunderbolt or if there was another Stealth Rock user Trick Scarf, Psychic, Boltbeam.

Other options would include Shadow Ball for Jynx and Energy Ball over Thunderbolt to hit Quagsire.

I think Skuntank is probably one of the best things to take on Mesprit as of now. It's always had a niche in NU, formerly being one of the best checks to an Espeon filled tier. It's got Crunch, Pursuit, Taunt and Sucker Punch to play around with, and as a bonus it absorbs T-spikes. It probably doesn't handle Messy behind a sub very well, but across the board it's fairly reliable. Taunt could be cool to shut down defensive sets. Pretty overlooked, but it's sort of a cool Pokemon.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Skuntank is a 50/50 answer to Mesprit at best. +0 Ice Beam 2HKOs, so assuming it either Ice Beams or Subs as you come in, you take a hit, then either get to Pursuit (which does laughable damage to Mesprit if it stays in) or Crunch (allowing it to switch out healthy and finish you off next time it comes in).

*coughshedinjacough*

Realistically this guy is so diverse it makes him very difficult to counter. Somebody brought up a special defensive Honchkrow with Haze and Taunt as a means of beating Gorebyss, and I could see that working here. With Roost he can probably take some unboosted Thunderbolts and Ice Beams without getting TOTALLY blown up. In terms of the Support set, Armaldo seems as good an option as any- he can spin away rocks, doesn't really mind a Thunder Wave or U-turn, and can shake of a Psychic while threatening with a powerful Bug STAB.

In terms of his tiering, Gorebyss and Huntail are such potent threats that I honestly don't think we'll get a good picture of Mesprit until they leave.

name: Trickscarf
move 1: Trick
move 2: Stealthrocks
move 3: Zen Headbutt
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice
nature: Timid
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP

Trick the scarf onto SR users then layup your own rocks, U-turn out if a bad matchup, Zen headbutt for Garbodor and many other Poison/fighting pokes.

Skuntank is a 50/50 answer to Mesprit at best. +0 Ice Beam 2HKOs, so assuming it either Ice Beams or Subs as you come in, you take a hit, then either get to Pursuit (which does laughable damage to Mesprit if it stays in) or Crunch (allowing it to switch out healthy and finish you off next time it comes in).
I run max HP, max Att, Black Sludge on my Skuntank with Sucker, Roar, Pursuit and Poison Jab. Poison Jab is the only move that isn't effected by priority, so I don't see a reason not to, it's a really solid custom moveset that shuts down sub/cm mespirit really hard.

Mesprit is still quite relevant as a threat, thanks to its good bulk and acceptable typing. By and large defensive is a much better Pokemon, since its increased bulk lets it set up much easier, and +2 with no investment is better than +1 with max. This also allows Mesprit to fulfill some more defensive roles in your team as a Sawk counter, Vileplume counter, etc. Offensive calm mind is almost never seen.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I usually just go for 252 HP / 252 SpA (or some variant, sometimes enough Speed to outpace unboosted Gorebyss), which I guess is sort of a mix between the two and still functions just as well to beat Sawk, Vileplume, and Garbodor, but also offers more of an offensive presence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)