ORAS OU Mega Venusaur + Gliscor team !

Hello, after more than 2 weeks spamming battles on Showdown, i tried to improve a bit my gameplay and my experience. I decided to make a new OU team and see how far i can go in the Elo ranking. So as a beginner, i was able to hit 1450, wich is a big performance for me. I will describe you the team i used for it, and i would like you to help me to improve this with your advices !

So first of all, i wanted to make sure my team can counter Azumarill and Keldeo since those two are extremly recurrent in the current meta. The easiest way, in my opinion, is Mega Venusaur!

One of the weakness of Mega Venusaure is the Fly type. They mostly deal physical damage(exept Togekiss, but this one is pretty rare, and later i'll check it!). So i decided to add a bulky physical, i name Gliscor

So this guy is my Physical bulk, i will detail its set later, and i use him as a stallbreaker! And with him in team i got an immunity to Elec and ground type. This open some rooms. From now with this those two i lack a little bit of damage, so i decide to add a Talonflame!

Sword dancer Talonflame is sort of my win condition, with Venusaur i can clean the water types, with Gliscor i can take care of physical walls, so Talonflame is all good to set up when the late game is incomming. So now i got two Fly type, a really good Ground coverage. I can use a Steel type. And my Talonflame is extremly vulnerable to hazards, so i need a Steel Defog. I had choice, i decide to get Scizor !

Bulky Scizor, usuall Defog build, I could have used a Rapid Spiner Starmie, but if i do, i have some trouble to manage Ice types like Weavile. And this Weavile can can be a lot of trouble if you let him alone. So Gliscor cover Scizor, and Scizor cover Gliscor. So now i can take care of Ice types, i decided to add a Stealth rock setter, i decide to use... Garchomp !

What i like with Garchomp, Scizor and Venusaur is that my opponent will hesitate a bit on who is my Mega, this detail can open some room in some battles! Also as a little bit of surprise, my Gliscor doesnt have Earthquake! Garchomp has it! I decided to give Fire Blast to my Garchomp because this way he can take care of annoying Ferrothorn and Skarmory. He is also faster than many usual leads like Heatran, he is faster than Bisharp. Bisharp is a little bit like Weavile and i like to have some coverage for both of them. This Garchomp is perfectly fine to fill this hole. I could have used an Excadrill, but i would have got a Fight weakness, i already got one with Scizor. My current team is vulnerable to conditions, like Burn or Toxic. I got a coverage for almost anything but Ghost and Dark, so a Fairy type would be awesome. A Fairy with HEll bell or Aromatherapy. I had the choice between Sylveon and Clefable. Personally i dislike totally Sylveon, but i love Clefable. The choice was so natural for me;

So here it is, the round is rounded. Now i will show you the set and i will try to explain it a bit!

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 244 HP / 192 Def / 52 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Usual Tanksaur, I decide to get Synthesis instead of HP Fire. I have Fire Blast on my Garchomp, I also have Talonflame in case i need some raw Fire damages. So adding a little bit of sustain seemed to me a better choice.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 228 HP / 116 Def / 164 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Here is the no-Earthquake Gliscor. This is my so called Annoyer Stallbreaker. With Protect i'm sure to get the Toxic Orb condition if i kno my opponent has Knock Off. I use Toxic to get rid of those staller like Slowbro or Hippowdon, i can use Toxic on almost anything that doesnt deal Special damage. Especially on Stallers that lack Hell Bell/Aromatherapy coverage. Taunt, to cancel the set up of Calm Minder and Dancers. It works very nice especially against those Dragon Dance Charizard! And of course Knock Off, mainly to manage Eviolite Chansey, or even some Life Orbers when i can. Get rid of a Berry or a Leftovers is always nice.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Sword Dance Talonflame. Nothing much to say about it. It is sort of my win condition. If i manage to set up 1 or 2 Sword Dance, usually i go for the win. Classic set up.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Atk / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
- Roost

Here is the Defog Hero. When i killed the Hazard of opponent this guy shine so bright, and my Talonflame will never be able to say thank enough to his mate. Bullet Punch to make sure i can finish some low HP opponent, U-Turn to get some momentum. This guy is solid as Steel (kek). I never used him before, but now i don't regret this choice.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

My Tankchomp, i guess it is an usual build. Enough speed to get rid of many leads quickly. On critical on Fire Blast and byebye Skarmory. Dragon Tail is so awesome, i love when Dragon Tail put in my Talonflame opponent. I also love the Rocky Helmet + Rough Skin combination. Make this ability really worth it. U-Turn user really regret fast enough. And so the Earthquake of my team.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

Moonlight for the sustain. I know Softboiled is better, but i love Magic Guard, and Softboiled+ Magic Guard +Aromatherapy doesnt exists. Sometime i hesitate to go with Wish, but in the end, i have enough sustain already in my team, and the only one who will take profit of Wish is Garchomp. He doesnt really need it since often he is usefull only in early-mid battle. With this EVs spread, i can check (thank to Magic Guard) all big Fight type Threat such as Mega Lopunny and Mega Medicham, i can Thunder-Wave them, then i can wall them with Moonlight. I force the switch out, or i kill them. And Fight types were a threat until i decide to ass this Clefable.

Here we are, i hope you enjoy this team. I know it is not the best team of all time. It is not "the team of the month". But i tried to do things well, with proper thinking behind each members their move set. I now that i lack some Fight type damage, but in the end i have few other ways to manage the Fight weak (Fire/Ground type dmg).
If you have any advices on what i can change to improve this team, you are welcome!

Last edited:
Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Atk / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
- Roost
Light Metal is good for M-Zor. Scizor don't have utility with Light Metal, use Technician.

Moonlight for the sustain. I know Softboiled is better, but i love Magic Guard, and Softboiled+ Magic Guard +Aromatherapy doesnt exists
Wait? Use heal bell+softbioled and magic guard bro. Moonlight is very bad.

Gliscor set is so bad. I'm really disgusting for Gliscor lol.
I don't love this set.
I think for example: calm mind clefable> heal bell
or Hp Fire Venusaur>leech seed
Also other movset do not like.

Heatran, mega slowbro is very annoying for your team, skarmory stall u team. Or many fire type like Zard-Y, Stallbreaker Talonflame or Sub DD Gyrados or suicune cm. With some adjustments moveset you could do better against these. But still it has many treath.

There is still a lot of work

Yo, nice team! I noticed a few things I think you should change.

1. Clefable should really be running a calm mind set, as it is far more effective then the set you are running. Your team needs a bit of set up and you are already running cleanable.

2. Don’t run leech seed on mega venusaur, because as good as it looks it isn’t going to get you very far. They will just switch out and get rid of it or they won’t switch and kill you in 1-2 hits within setting it up. There are various sets you could run, but I mainly suggest HP fire as it acts as a good lure.

3. It is highly advised that you DON’T run defog regular scizor. Defog mega scizor is very effective and when I used it I got great results, but regular scizor doesn’t get enough bulk to be that useful. The point of defog scizor is to be bulky while you pull off defogs + u-turns, but regular scizor just can’t do this. Skarmory will do this roll much better. And it can get rocks up by itself!

Thats about it. Here is the finished team: http://pastebin.com/Tp3tT8Am
Enjoy!

Ehy Man :)
I don't think that Leech Seed on Venusaur is necessary because you don't need a Defensive Set in this team, Hidden Power Fire is the best option in this team, because your build is weak to Ferrothorn that wall Clefable, Scizor, Gliscor and Venusaur. My suggest is to try Modest Nature 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe that really work in your team.
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire
- Synthesis

This team is really weak to CHarizard X Because 2HKO your pokemon easily. My suggest is to try Heatran>Talonflame Heatran is really good with Venusaur, helps against Charizard and Serperior that is another weakness for your team, because Talonflame yes helps against it, but with SR is really hard to handle. I suggest you to try two set on Heatran: The first is with Magma Storm that helps against Stall, the other is with Lava Plume that helps Venusaur in many case.
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Scizor no-mega with Defog is bad..my suggest is to try CB Scizor that helps against Latios/Tias and gives you a good offensive presence.
Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

I don't think that Garchomp+Gliscor is a good option, because you have Heatran that gives you a Stealth Rock Support, and Gliscor does thesame thing (Check Bisharp for example o helps against Sand Team) My suggest is to try Latios that gives you a Defog support and Check Charizard Y that destroy this team.
Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Boh i think that Sword Dance+Earthquake on Gliscor is the best choice, because in addition to gives you a good Stallbreaker, this set gives you a really good wincon that is essential in this team.
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Knock Off/Facade
- Roost

A healer in this team isn't necessary, and Moonlight is bad with Magic Guard, my suggest is to try Calm Mind>Aromatherapy because gives you a second wincon :o 84 EVs on SpD are enough to tank Electric Attack (Evoid 2HKO from Manectric for example or Ice beam from Kyurem).
Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Summary of the changes:
>

>

• The Set on Venusaur
  • The set on Gliscor
  • The set on Scizor
Team Complete:
Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Knock Off/Facade
- Roost

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire
- Synthesis

Hope help you :)

thank for your advice, im testing it right now !

EDIT: The team is very efficient, but Talonflame can set up really easily on my team. And once he does 1 Sword Dance, i am kinda dead, since even Clefable get OHKO so i cant T-Wave.
Alakazam with Focusblast + Dazzling gleam put me in lot of trouble also.
Before i had Talonflame to outspeed those Kazam and kill them fast.

I have Scizor with bullet punch, but it doesnt kill Kazam, so he can switch out and then put troubles later. And it doesnt deal good damage to Talonflame due to resist. So maybe i can put a Scarf Lando-T With Rockslide instead of Gliscor.

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Alakazam: 250-295 (99.6 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 472-556 (144.3 - 170%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake : To deal with everything
- Rock Slide : To deal with Fly type
- Knock Off :To deal with Gengar
- U-turn :To get momentum

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)