ORAS OU Mega Metagross Hyper Offensive

Hi all, this team is something I have really enjoyed using lately, since it makes for quick games. I wanted to build around a Steel / Dragon / Fairy core, and decided to make it hyper-offensive to decrease the opportunities for stall and set-up sweepers. This is my first post, so please let me know how I can improve the team and the post in general.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite

Ability: Tough Claws
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Mega Metagross puts out massive damage to anything short of dedicated physical walls, or opposing steel types which resist all of his moves. I knew that I wanted to use Bullet Punch to stop opposing setup sweepers; often I will bring Metagross in on a weakened opponent and revenge kill with bullet punch, gaining the speed boost without having to risk any damage. Ice Punch was decided as the last move, since I needed a way to knock out many landorus, as well as pesky dragons. Ice punch isn't a OHKO on the most bulky variants of lando after intimidate, but I was happy enough with the coverage it gave me. The only change i would consider is Hammer Arm over Ice Punch, as this team lacks any fighting coverage and I could also prevent opposing magnezone from eliminating metagross

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch
- Rock Slide
- Crunch

Choice Band Tyranitar was the first partner decided for Metagross, due to the ability to kill opposing fire types either via pursuit or rock slide. I would say I use pursuit most often on this set, often on Charizard Y after switching in TTar on a fire type attack, as well as volt-switch teams or choice-locked pokemon. Fire punch was decided as a coverage move to chunk opposing steel types on a predicted switch, or hit grass types that don't immediately threaten TTar with a KO. I would consider Stone Edge over Rock Slide, but the accuracy is abysmal in my opinion; I would also consider Superpower over Fire Punch, but feel that it can lose momentum with an attack and defense drop. Earthquake is also worth considering, in order to eliminate heatran immediately.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

For a long time, I thought Belly Drum Azumarill was king, but I think that this team really appreciates the power of Choice Band Azumarill. This added to the Steel / Dragon / Fairy core of my team, and allowed me to sweep weakened teams late-game with aqua jet without relying on Belly Drum. The speed creep is significant in order to hit most Clefable, Defensive Tyranitar, and generally uninvested mid-speed pokemon. I really like the psychological threat of Belly Drumming which allows me to take Aqua Jet KO's on weakened pokemon who feel it may be too risky to switch. One major note is that CB Azumarill can often OHKO choice scarf Excadrill, which is a huge threat to this team. I would once again consider Superpower over Knock Off, but feel that the set generally works extremely well.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Recover
- Ice Beam

Latios is my specially defensive wall, if that says anything about the nature of this team. It is the only pokemon with reliable recovery (Talonflame rarely gets off a roost unless on a predicted switch), and puts out huge damage with Draco Meteor. I run Ice Beam as a means to eliminate common defensive landorus and haban berry garchomp leads. Latios really only dislikes pursuit trapping pokemon, but with sufficient prediction can usually survive to net a couple of KO's as well as soak up some hits for my otherwise offensive team.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 144 SpA / 112 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Overheat

This Talonflame is really silly, and usually doesn't stick around for too long against prepared teams, but can at least threaten set-up sweepers that have a boost and take a chunk out of less defensive threats. Will-O-Wisp is to hit pokemon like landorus on the switch, and Overheat is to KO physically defensive pokemon that might avoid a KO from Flare Blitz. It also avoids recoil damage. The EV spread outspeeds neutral natured base 100 pokemon, and pokemon which try to speed creep that benchmark.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Magnezone is the star of the team lately, as it gives a much desired slow pivot with Choice Specs Volt Switch. It is obviously threatened by ground, fire, and fighting types, but with levitate and talonflame on the team, as well as a dual psychic core, I felt comfortable playing around these weaknesses. Hidden Power fire is for Ferrothorn and Scizor, as otherwise Thunderbolt and Volt Switch are the most usable moves. The speed EV's are for Clefable and Scizor, although it does not outspeed all variants of these two. Magnzone is my most common lead to scout my opponent; I will often use Volt Switch or Flash Cannon on Landorus leads, knowing that U-Turn and Stealth Rocks are most likely the most common moves to go for as "the EQ is just too obvious, right?". I frequently use the magnet as death fodder mid-game, allowing me to get a free switch into a bigger threat.

This team has 0 hazards and 0 hazard control, as I felt that the metagame is very centralized around these things and I feel that Magnezone and Latios can reliably handle most hazard setters anyways. It seems odd to have 3 choice users on a team, but actually works really well in practice, allowing me to hit big damage on defensive walls. I didnt feel the need for stat boosting pokemon as a win condition, and felt that I had adequate responses to most boosters anyways; Quiver Dance Volc loses to tyranitar, Dragon Dance Dragonite loses to Ice Punch + Bullet Punch from metagross, and the strong priority options allowed me to keep boosted sweepers continuously in check.

Threat List:

Choice Scarf Excadrill: kills half my team with earthquake, doesn't feel threated by latios, and often forces me to sack something to get Azumarill in.

Mega Lopunny + Stealth Rocks: Metagross can eat a High Jump Kick, but good players will weaken Metagross and kill Talonflame before going for a Lopunny sweep. Often times I can kill with Metagross, however, as many teams lack the resources to counter it effectively.

Rotom-Wash: Without a way to hit it super-effectively, this team relies on prediction and overwhelming offensive to deal with such pivots. It is not hard to play around, but is very threatening with proper support.

Speedy Volcanion: really only hit hard by Magnezone and Latios's Draco Meteor, but can't take two strong attacks from any two team members.

This team handles stall fairly well, and also doesn't mind opposing hyper offense. This team wins pretty easily against sun teams since TTar can pursuit trap non-focus miss variants of Char Y and Metagross does ~85% with zen headbutt, and obviously ninetales isn't typically much of a threat. This team struggles against well-built rain teams, but can still work around them sufficiently with Azumarill getting a boosted Waterfall and magnet to threaten politoed.

Please let me know what you think, and any changes I should make!

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
I don't have a new Pokemon today, but I think some moves need to be changed.

Megagross

Having experience using one, I can say that it is best for Megagross to have Meteor Mash and Hammer Arm instead of Iron Head and Zen Headbutt respecitively. Zen Headbutt is currently on the decline in the meta, as there are fewer Pokemon that are hit strongly by it. Hammer Arm is by far the better choice because it can fight Ferrothorn, which stops your sweep currently and hits other Steel types. And while it does have lower accuracy, Metoer Mash is actually extremely reliable, more powerful, and has a possible attack boost making it even harder for Pokemon to stop you.

T-Tar

I don't really get why you have Fire Punch there, as it seems like it is used only in very specific situations. Magnezone can trap and KO Scizor fairly easily, as it is only afraid of the rare Superpower. That is why Fire Punch should be switched out for Superpower itself. This allows it to take on Heatran and T-Tar, which you couldn't do much to before. Keep in mind any time you have to switch out, it gives your opponent the advantage, as they get a free turn to setup, heal, or possibly cripple the Pokemon that is coming in.

Talonflame

As you said yourself, Talonflame is a very predictable Pokemon that teams can usually prepare for rather easily. As such, the lifespan of a Talonflame is fairly short. And since you don't have hazard control (Recommend you replace one of Latios' moves for Defog, your pick) it makes it even harder for Talonflame to safely come in. As such, they are made to deal as much damage as physically possible before it is forced out. As such, I would replace the current moveset to accommodate a Offensive Swords Dance set. Talonflame's special stat is lower than its physical, so Overheat doesn't really have any major buffs over Flare Blitz. Will-O-Wisp is also to risky, as it will go down to any strong move anyways.

Hope this helps!

Hey LucarioOfLegends thanks for the advice! I did change to Superpower on TTar and really like the set! I chose not to change the talonflame set quite yet, since i really want to change it out for a different mon anyways, but don't really know what fits the slot best. I have kept Zen Headbutt on Metagross for now, since I think that it's my only effective stop to lopunny after talon has died, but I did change to Meteor Mash and have only missed the accuracy a little. Let me know if you think of a good swap for talonflame, as it's kind of weak anyways and really only good because of gale wings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)