Mega Evolutions, Continued (Rules in OP)

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Approved by tiki i think

Mega Evolutions. They were gone too soon. Probably one of the coolest concepts Pokemon has ever had, the artistic potential possible for many different Pokemon to be raised to the next level has inspired some excellent artwork concerning Mega Evolutions. It's about time Smogon showed off their ideas.

The purpose of this thread is to share your designs for new Mega Evolutions that Pokemon could be given.

Rules and Guidelines:
- Feel free to post your WIPs, finished products, sprites, and any other forms of artwork that show off your design for a potential new Mega Evolution.
- Feel free to provide constructive criticism and feedback on the artwork posted. You're welcome to share your perspective on why a Mega Evolution for a certain Pokemon either works or does not, explaining your thoughts and suggesting improvements. Artists, on their end, are welcome to either take the feedback into consideration or to not, updating their designs accordingly.
- You're welcome to include any other additional flavor information that would be useful in describing the Mega Evolution (Dex Description, Typing, Ability, Base Stats, etc), though creating competitive Mega Evolutions is not the point of this thread (I would suggest this one for that purpose).
- Additionally, you're free to make new Mega Evolution designs for Pokemon that already have them - there's no reason that they can't have more than one.
- Please Do Not claim someone else's work as your own. This should be pretty self-explanatory, but the designs posted here should be your own work, not something you found online that you want to gush about, and definitely not something you found online that you're now saying you made. If you think or know someone has done this, just let me know.
- Additionally, there's a difference between 'oh you're just ripping off this person' and 'you have literally stolen from someone else'. When designing new evolutions for certain Pokemon, it's only natural that people will create designs that focus on the same focal points and characteristics. Please don't accuse someone of plagiarism unless it is clearly traced or heavily based on another piece of artwork.
- Finally, this is a for-fun thread at the end of the day, we all have our own opinions on designs, and this thread is in celebration of this, not as an attempt to find the "right" design
Thank you to Bummer for the general basis of these rules and guidelines in his Fakemons OP

To start off this thread, I figured it would only be right to include a sketch of a Mega Evolution I had in mind
image0 (2).jpg

Mega Butterfree. A Bug / Psychic type, the Mega Evolution process has awoken Butterfree's full psychic abilities, shown through its opening of its third eye, and the removal of its biological wings in favor of levitation. The particles that levitate around it, while resembling wings, instead seem to be psychic reflectors, which it uses to attack its opponents.

Very cool thread! I’m gonna share my version of Mega Qwilfish that I made a while ago
I like edgy stuff so one thing that always intrigued me about Mega's is that they’re not always a pleasant experience for the mon, but can be rather painful. Tbh I went above and beyond on this concept creating something that would fit more on a horror pokemon fan game than an actual mega evolution lol, but since this is not necessarily to find the right way to do the mega, I figured it would still fit here. (If not I’ll remove no problem)
sorry in advance if this haunts your nightmares
54A8E9F5-0B69-4953-8AB7-F4BD4B22A1B2.jpeg
the idea is it gets bigger, increases its spikes’ number and size, and starts to produce an insane amount of poison, too much for its body to contain, so it starts spilling from every spike, the mouth and even the eyes.
in terms of competitive stuff, i didn’t think too much about it, I guess I would make poison the primary typing and I'd make it learn Gunk Shot, not much else comes to mind rn (maybe Corrosion as ability)

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I like this idea for Mega Butterfree! It's always inexplicably been able to learn Confusion and Psychic despite not having any visual design qualities of a Psychic-type, so basing its Mega Evolution on that is a cool way to sort of retroactively justify those moves in its set.

Kiwi

free فلسطين
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I love this thread idea and I thought I'd make some megas to share:
1608775206683.png
Zebstrika runs at such a fast speed with its lightning like movements that its main expands through the electricity created. In doing so the charge of electricity is so strong it gains immense power and speed along with electric wings giving it an electric/flying type. It'll gain an ability that will revolve around its speed (be forced to have motor drive or speed boost) and gain a few more moves.
1608775663709.png
In a whirlwind, all the cotton collects forming mega whimsicott! It gains a defensive boost with an increase in its hp and defences with all the cotton surrounding it, and learns a few more moves to go along with it. It gets a slight drop in speed however as it holds heavy branches that are still drawn into the air due to the amount of holes in the cotton filling up allowing it to float away in winds, although it is still a bit slower as the cotton doesn't completely balance the branches. It also provides a lot of fun and mischief with so much more cotton to scatter around in a prank.

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Very cool thread! I’m gonna share my version of Mega Qwilfish that I made a while ago
I like edgy stuff so one thing that always intrigued me about Mega's is that they’re not always a pleasant experience for the mon, but can be rather painful. Tbh I went above and beyond on this concept creating something that would fit more on a horror pokemon fan game than an actual mega evolution lol, but since this is not necessarily to find the right way to do the mega, I figured it would still fit here. (If not I’ll remove no problem)
sorry in advance if this haunts your nightmares
View attachment 302177the idea is it gets bigger, increases its spikes’ number and size, and starts to produce an insane amount of poison, too much for its body to contain, so it starts spilling from every spike, the mouth and even the eyes.
in terms of competitive stuff, i didn’t think too much about it, I guess I would make poison the primary typing and I'd make it learn Gunk Shot, not much else comes to mind rn (maybe Corrosion as ability)
I've also been intrigued in how Mega Evolution is supposed to push Pokemon into sometimes uncomfortable/painful appearances, although personally I think Gamefreak retroactively added that to try and make Mega Evolutions less popular in preparation for Dynamax (hard to say Pokemon like Mega Altaria and Mega Audino become ferocious or in pain with their designs). Regardless, I like the concept of Qwilfish being unable to contain all the excess Poison in its body, it falls in line with something like Mega Camerupt.

This isn't speaking towards the overall design, but the first vibe I got from that image is that it looks like some kind of Mario enemy X) I think its the eyes and mouth, it kinda looks like a Fuzzy mixed with a Bristle from Paper Mario.

But regardless, it fits the theme of Mega Evolutions.

I love this thread idea and I thought I'd make some megas to share:
Zebstrika runs at such a fast speed with its lightning like movements that its main expands through the electricity created. In doing so the charge of electricity is so strong it gains immense power and speed along with electric wings giving it an electric/flying type. It'll gain an ability that will revolve around its speed (be forced to have motor drive or speed boost) and gain a few more moves.
In a whirlwind, all the cotton collects forming mega whimsicott! It gains a defensive boost with an increase in its hp and defences with all the cotton surrounding it, and learns a few more moves to go along with it. It gets a slight drop in speed however as it holds heavy branches that are still drawn into the air due to the amount of holes in the cotton filling up allowing it to float away in winds, although it is still a bit slower as the cotton doesn't completely balance the branches. It also provides a lot of fun and mischief with so much more cotton to scatter around in a prank.
Zebstrika going the Pegasus route, alongside being an Electric type, seems pretty cool. Just imagining a horse with electric wings zooming about seems pretty badass.

Whimsicott also reminds me of Mega Ampharos and Altaria, like the Pokemon with the relation to soft white textures gains suddenly more of it.

I generallt love Gen 5 and was super disappointed that the only mega evolution they gave was to Audino, like one of the most boring Pokemon in the Unova Dex. I really wish more Gen 5 Pokemon that were middling even at the time, like Zebstrika and Whimsicott, got picked instead. Both your designs feel like natural extensions of that Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)