SM UU May your heart be your guiding key (Peaked 1500)

2018-10-20_11-48-20.png

Hey so I decided I'll make another post and share a team I've had the most success with while laddering. So far I have peaked around 1500 but I've since tilted back down to high 1300s LUL. Personally I feel like this team is pretty solid but the biggest issue it has is it's consistency and this is primarily due to the two Pokemon I wanted to build around. While I will admit I have won a few games due to RNG being on my side but the same can be said vice versa where crucial OHKOs could be secured but due to misses it makes the game much harder. So If you have any advice to help make this squad more consistent do share but the RMT is mainly to just share the team, as this will probably be the last team I post for a month or so.

Team Building Process

So I really wanted to build around NP Lucario because I feel like it is very slept on right now, it also destroys the stall and balance teams that are so popular right now. And while I did not build this team taking Bisharp into consideration it is a reliable revenge killer and to a lesser extent a switch in.

So I paired this with Agility Moltres whom greatly appreciates having bulkier Pokemon especially special walls weakened which Lucario effectively does. I intended to use Flyinium Z so while it can one time nuke something it needs the set up from Lucario to clean through.

Next I went with Scarf Krookodile primarily due to my weakness to break through Latias. He was also the best pursuit trapper to remove Chandelure and Gengar for Lucario. Also gave me an electric immunity.

So I then went for the defensive core of Mega Altaria and Empoleon. The initial reason was to have Malt have Defog and Empoleon have SR however I wanted to compress both roles onto Empoleon and run 3 Atks+Roost which imo is the best set right now.

Finally I wanted to add a secondary hazard remover for Moltres so I went with Tsareena. Tsareena has honestly become one of my favourite Pokemon to use and added a lot of utility for my team. I originally had a different item on Tsareena due to running Heal Bell on Malt but I later opted to change this.

Team Breakdown

Lucario @ Life Orb

Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
-
Focus Blast
-
Flash Cannon
-
Vacuum Wave
-
Nasty Plot​

Lucario was the main focus point on the team which absolutely rips through balance which is so prominent right now opening up the door for Krookodile or Moltres. I opted for Life Orb because I felt the Z-Move best suited Moltres and overall it's very crucial at ensuring specific OHKO's at +2 on Pokemon such as Alomamola, Florges etc. Inner Focus is the preferred ability here so you can't be flinched down by Scarf Togekiss for example and remove it from play. Very standard ev spread, I didn't feel like I needed to adapt the spread to take a hit from something. I primarily opted for Focus Blast for the OHKO's you can ensure with it however in some cases you can miss the accuracy of Aura Sphere as Focus Miss has cost me games sometimes. Flash Cannon is the primary stab move to break through the fairy types which is really nice for Krookodile and Malt. Vacuum Wave was opted over Dark Pulse for stab priority which lets me revenge kill Terrakion, Cobalion and Bisharp if it stays in the tier. Finally Nasty Plot greatly improves your wall-breaking potential.

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Focus Blast vs. 40 HP / 216 SpD Alomomola: 612-721 (127.2 - 149.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Florges: 429-507 (119.1 - 140.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Focus Blast vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Swampert: 500-590 (124.6 - 147.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 199-235 (54.6 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 720-850 (100.8 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 273-321 (69.2 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Moltres @ Flyinium Z

Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-
Hurricane
-
Fire Blast
-
Roost
-
Agility

So I wanted to partner Lucario up with Agility Moltres to potentially clean. So as I mentioned above I wanted to use my Z-move on Moltres, being Flyinium-Z, and SSS absolutely destroys something if your team doesn't have a rock type or a Rotom-H. Flame Body is to punish Pokemon like Cobalion and Scizor however if I am honest I've only gotten the 30% about three times over the course of about 30 games but of course there isn't much merit of using Pressure. Again very standard ev spread here. Hurricane is the primary flying stab that works best in conjunction with Flyinium-Z and then Fire Blast as the fire stab move. The only issue is the accuracy of the moves which as I pointed out before has lost me games but I can't complain too much as in some games I rarely missed a move. Roost provides me with the recovery to beat a threat like Malt, Scizor and Cobalion (that doesn't have Stone Edge). Agility is the final move which allows me to potentially clean up a team and is then very hard to revenge kill.​

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-
Earthquake
-
Pursuit
-
Stone Edge
-
Knock Off​

Krookodile plays several key roles for this team being a trapper, revenge killer / speed control and an electric immunity. As everyone knows by now Krookodile is extremely splash-able and it does exactly that here. Choice Scarf makes me an effective RK and gives me speed control even if I have agility and priority already. Another standard set and ev spread here. Earthquake is your most spammable move that you should be looking to sweep with. Pursuit was so crucial for this team as Chandelure and Latias are a pain to this team especially if its Gigavolt Latias. Stone Edge was opted over Crunch, Fire Fang or Iron Tail because opposing Moltres are a problem to break. Knock Off provides a lot of utility and is your most spammable dark coverage. Overall this Pokemon just compresses a lot into one role.​

Empoleon @ Leftovers

Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
-
Scald
-
Stealth Rock
-
Toxic
-
Defog​

Empoleon as Krookodile does compresses a lot into one role. It gave me both a hazard setter and a hazard remover with Stealth Rock and Defog retrospectively. It gave me a water type switch-in and Latias check assuming it doesn't have Gigavolt but you can scout for this. Leftovers is used for passive recovery but imo you could try Shuca Berry to better handle Mamoswine or opposing Krook but I don't feel like that is necessary. Scald is your stab move that punishes a lot of physical attackers and can invalidate opposing Lefties or Black Sludge if you get the burn. As mentioned above I decided to run both SR and Defog on this to compress the roles together and open up my Altaria to run something else. Finally Toxic lets you wear down other bulky Pokemon and punish set-up sweepers like Latias, Suicune etc.​

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite

Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Atk / 44 Def / 4 SpA / 124 SpD / 16 Spe
Relaxed Nature
-
Body Slam
-
Fire Blast
-
Earthquake
-
Roost​

So this is where I went for a bit more specific ev spread to do certain things that I wanted. In the replays below I used to have Heal Bell but I didn't find it too useful so swapped it out for Fire Blast which I preferred a lot more imo. So Malt forms a nice core with Empoleon checking most of the fighting and electric types Empoleon can't. It also gives me a better answer to Crawdaunt and a secondary check to Latias.

So the ev spread does several things which I'll explain. The HP and Def investment is used so you can live a Bullet Punch from a CB Scizor after SR. The Atk investment lets me reach 3 benchmarks I felt were important, one being to guarantee the OHKO with Body Slam on Latias after SR. The second was to guarantee 2OHKO Specs Primarina with Body Slam (Assuming you get the para on switch-in) and the third to 2OHKO Tentacruel with Earthquake (based on the Smogon ev set not the one on the calculator). The 4 SpA investment with a Relaxed nature means you guarantee 2OHKO Z-move Celebi. The SpD investment means you can eat a Sludge Wave from non Life Orb / Expert Belt Nihilego after rocks as well as always survive a Corkscrew Crash from Hydreigon from full. This is kind of niche which is why I will also post an alternative ev spread below which I have tried that has enough speed for Crawdaunt instead. The speed investment just lets me hit 180 Speed.

Body Slam all around has been the most effective for me over Moonblast or Hyper Voice. the main reasons are because it still hits Kommo-O, beats Calm Mind latias and has a 30% chance to inflict the dreaded yellow colour (I actually hate paralysis xd). Fire Blast hits most steel types harder than Earthquake does especially on Cobalion, MegaLix, Mega Aggron etc due to my lack of Atk investment, while also punishing Celebi for example. Earthquake lets me nail Tentacruel, Nihilego and Magneton the hardest and either OHKO or 2OHKO. Finally Roost is much needed recovery.

68 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Body Slam vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 278-330 (92 - 109.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

68 Atk Altaria-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Tentacruel: 204-240 (56 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

68 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Body Slam vs. 92 HP / 4 Def Primarina: 162-192 (50 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Hydreigon Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Altaria-Mega: 290-342 (81.9 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Nihilego Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Altaria-Mega: 260-308 (73.4 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 44+ Def Altaria-Mega: 260-308 (73.4 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Krookodile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 44+ Def Altaria-Mega: 123-145 (34.7 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Aerodactyl-Mega Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 44+ Def Altaria-Mega: 135-160 (38.1 - 45.1%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

EVs: 252 HP / 68 Atk / 44 Def / 8 SpD / 136 Spe
Impish Nature
- Body Slam
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Roost

tsareena.png

Tsareena @ Lum Berry

Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 Def / 4 SpD / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
-
Power Whip
-
U-turn
-
Rapid Spin
-
Synthesis /
High Jump Kick​

So this is the final member of the team which gave me a secondary hazard remover for Moltres and lets me deal with Sub Suicune. Originally I was using Rose Incense (equivalent to Meadow Plate etc.) but I decided I didn't like Heal Bell on Malt so swapped to Lum Berry however I don't have any replays of where I used it. Queenly Majesty is an amazing ability that shuts down Crawdaunt and Bisharp, again assuming he stays in the tier. The ev spread is pretty standard I just gave it enough speed to outpace base 70's, this can be effective too to get a slow U-turn off vs other Jolly Tsareena. U-turn as mentioned above for momentum and means Celebi can't be a reliable switch-in. Rapid Spin is for another form of hazard removal and lets me keep Rocks on opponents side of the field especially since I compressed the roles of Empoleon. Now I am pretty unsure on this last move but I feel like Synthesis is nicer overall especially since most of the Pokemon on my team demolish steel types and also because I am tired of missing HJK, however it came in clutch vs a SubRoost Kyurem which is threatening for this team. So I am pretty undecided about this.

Threats

So this thing is a pain in the ass I swear. While Moltres to an extent can switch-in to it you still have to remember Icicle Crash is neutral and if SR are kept up then it's just too menacing. In most games vs it, I had to sack several Pokemon just to drop it into Vacuum Wave range for Lucario.

So this thing is also very hard for me to deal with. While Empoleon can switch-in so often it's mainly an issue to break through it. No particular set is more threatening than the other imo but if you keep rocks up you can beat it or if you wanna flex Hidden Power Rock on Malt x) .

Goddamn this thing is a nuisance simply because of Serene Grace. Empoleon is my flying resist but it never wins 1 vs 1 against any Togekiss set. In one replay I literally had to hax it down myself to beat it due to my Lucario going down and having to sack Empoleon. It is important to keep rocks up and either get the double into Lucario right or momentum with Tsareena as it invites it in.

Honestly how do you deal with this SubRoost shit. Yeah Lucario can deal with it but you need that Substitute to be down to do so. Honestly it's so scary to play against like it 2OHKO's Moltres with Ice Beam. The only reason I beat it in one replay was because I assume he thought my Tsareena was banded.

Replays

Here are a few replays nothing too special, especially since I'm not the best player but hopefully I'll get better along the way in UU. The games that got me to 1500 where done on my phone so I forgot to save them but a few mid 1400 games if you wanna look at. I don't think I ran into stall once but I don't think that would be a threat to this team.

Sticky Webs team - http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-821789076

Togekiss being a pain in the ass lmao - http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-821793518

Accidentally used DD Malt but it sort of did it's role - http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-822010250

Sub Roost Kyurem xd - http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-822011929

Potential NP Luc sweep but misread the Nidoqueen set - http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-822032709

Another close game where I derped because of trace and para xd - http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-822036630

Overall I had a lot of fun with this squad and sorry again for not having any replays with the new changes I made with Fire Blast on Malt and Lum Berry on Tsareena. As for things I've tested I tried DD Malt but not really a fan of not using a bulky variants and that is about it other than a few move changes. Thanks for taking the time to read this RMT and I hope you enjoyed reading it. If you have any suggestions do let me know, anyways until the next time :)​

Attachments

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey, this is actually a pretty impressive team but I think the fact that it's so weak to Moltres when it's built around Lucario is something that is a big flaw. Either way I really like this team and this Mega Altaria spread might be some of the highest IQ shit I've seen in my fuckin life, so big ups to you my friend LOL. Regarding the Moltres thing again, like 3 mons on this team let Moltres in for free 100% of the time, even if rocks are up lmao. That is something that is really troublesome, and idrk why you're not using Z move Luke, it's so good ;w;. Anyways like I said this team is pretty neat but I do think it could be just a bit better, let's see what could be done.

- The first thing I did was sort of compress (I use this word loosely) Moltres + Tsareena into Rotom-H giving me a free slot to work with and more importantly something for that annoying ice + ground coverage you seem to worry about. This mon checks Scizor while also giving hazard removal support on a team that seems to find switching into Play Rough + Twave from Klefki annoying. Rotom-H seems to be a perfect fit here as it also checks Moltres and Togekiss very handily which is prolly the most important thing about this mon on this team. 20 SpA OHKOs Celebi after rocks.
Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Defog
- Toxic

- I put Amoonguss into the free slot that was created because it punished CB Scizor w/ Rocky Helmet and can help pick up the slack for the Moltres that was lost as a fighting resist to check shit like Coba. This also provides a grass to pressure bulky grounds n shit, mainly Swampert ig but that's not the most relevant rn. Set is pretty standard.
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 72 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Smaller changes:
- One thing I forgot to mention is how shitty Defog + Rocks Empoleon is. Ig it compresses roles but it ends up doing both jobs so shitty and is just so overloaded as a primary Lati answer, defogger, rocker, etc. that it ends up being mediocre as it tries to do everything at once. I went Protect > Defog and put Defog on Rotom-H as stated earlier in the rate. This lets it stall for toxic and lefties while not being overworked.
- Moltres is gone, which means you're free to put the z move on Lucario. I went with Fightium Z to nuke things like Hippo and Quagsire.

Lucario @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Vacuum Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

EVs: 252 HP / 68 Atk / 44 Def / 4 SpA / 124 SpD / 16 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Body Slam
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Defog
- Toxic

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 72 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I really fuck w/ this team and ill prolly be using it myself a bit so ty for this rmt LOL. I made sure to leave malt alone cause that shit is way too high IQ for me to comprehend. But yeah I think this team gets a lot better with these changes, I encourage you to try and hit 1600 with it, it's capable of doing so :). Gl and lmk if you need help

Thanks for the rate vivalospride and I'm glad you like the RMT lol, appreciate the kind words. I definitely agree that I didn't think too much about opposing Moltres when building. I originally had Rotom-H on another variant but yeah I think I struggled with fitting an appropriate member to finish said team variant but I really like the Amoonguss here allowing me to still punish Scizor with the absence of Moltres and to an extent Cobalion if it doesn't have Steelium-Z. I haven't tried out Fightinium-Z Lucario before even though I did see you recommend it on a different RMT a little while back, it definitely serves as the same function as LO Lucario but can guarantee a nuke on something without the risk of missing.

Either way thanks for the rate and glad you love my heat Malt spread LMAO. Have fun using the team and yeah when I get the time around my university hours I'll be sure to try and peak higher and update the thread if possible. Look forward for some more heat in the next month or so x)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)