Marvel v Capcom 3 discussion

i got curious and started playing teams with Phoenix rushdown last night. i have to say i'm really impressed. she does die to pretty much any one combo, but it's actually really easy to not get hit. all her normals are ridiculously fast, and it's really easy to link everything into a Hypercombo. everyone i've been playing will try to play to rush in when i send her out, and all I have to do is mash the basic L, M, H, S, M, M, H, S, Phoenix Rage, rinse, repeat and it's over. her damage output is awesome, and it's ridiculous with X-Factor.

edit: Yoshi King, i played Amaterasu a few times and i love it. she's got great corner pressure and really long block-strings. all-around she's a lot of fun.

http://shoryuken.com/content/marvel-vs-capcom-3-hacked-test-shuma-gorath-3650/

While I do admit that Jill is legitimately an incomplete character, I think that holding back Shuma-Gorath (as well as the rest of the "DLC" outfits) is outright deplorable. Capcom has done this time and time again with Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter 4 and now MvC 3, and as consumers I really think that we should not be supporting it.
My defense was for Jill alone, so I'm not going to try and defend a complete Shuma or the alternate costumes (that info wasn't known during my last post). I do find it interesting that in order to get a 'complete' Jill, you have to unlock Shuma in the process. I'd call this a crafty move if they ended up splitting the costumes between on-disc and DLC, but alas all of Costume Pack 1 is all on-disc ><

Now for a thoughts dump:

Mission mode makes me cringe. It's difficult. I cannot for the life of me pull off moves that require right, down, right-down when I need to. This makes Wesker's especially hard because his is a counter, so I have to time it right so the AI triggers it and follow up with a combo if I manage to pull it off. I also have trouble with cancel combos, I'm just not fast enough :(

The only character that I've played as and genuinely didn't like is Hsien-Ko. Viewtiful Joe is borderline since his reach is nonexistant but I can still play him at least. I still have quite a few characters to try on the Marvel side so we'll see if there's others.

Galactus' grab move is impossible to get around and does nearly 50% damage to a standard character. When he goes on a grab spam spree it's more or less an instant loss :< Still not nearly as frustrating as Azazel from Tekken 6 though (that bastard CHEATS).

Gamertag is Veedrock. I haven't stepped into online play yet but I'll accept challenges from anyone here just to get a measure of where I'm at (I don't have much local competition). Don't expect any epic games from me though ;x

Galactus' grab move is impossible to get around and does nearly 50% damage to a standard character. When he goes on a grab spam spree it's more or less an instant loss :< Still not nearly as frustrating as Azazel from Tekken 6 though (that bastard CHEATS).
Super jump avoids it if you time it correctly. Also if he does grab you, use an assist and he'll stagger and let you go.

Hey guys. I've been having fun playing this game with friends and my brothers, and I've settled on at two characters (characters I was settled on before the game came out). Arthur and Hsien-ko. I'm confident with Hsien-ko, but I'm a little iffier with Arthur, despite him being my second best. Anyone else using him have tips?

Also, I need a good complimenting character for these two. Any suggestions? I'm open to suggestions.

Hey Mr. Esc, sounds like you need a rushdown character. Both Arthur and Hsien-ko are supposed to be zoning/keepaway characters (as far as I can tell, at least; anyone please feel free to correct me on this) so a character such as Dante, Zero, Wolverine, Wesker or X-23 would go very well with your current setup. Be careful with most of those rushdown characters though, because your team already has low-ish health. I think Wesker might be the best option because he has a ton of mixup options with his teleports and he has fairly high health to boot, which might make him a good option for your point character.

Yeah, I was told I needed an aggressive/fast character when I posed this question in a /v/ thread the other night. I've tried about everyone, and I only seemed to get mileage out of Dante/Zero/X-23 out of the rush down characters. Wolverine and Wesker didn't work too well, but watching the levelup stream the other night informs me that both have a lot of potential that I obviously didn't tap into. I'll look into Wesker again, in particular, because of his health.

I still can't believe Arthur has the second lowest tier of health (only Phoenix below him). Definitely felt like he had more bulk to him.

Do you suppose my team would be too specialized for zoning if I used Shuma Gorath when he comes out? He's the third character I've wanted to use pre-release.

when you're using Arthur, PLEASE don't spam dagger throw. everybody does that and it's fucking annoying. any tips on how to get around that?

Just got this today. Really liking the button configuration for this one. It is a lot like most other Japanese fighting games which is a plus for me.

my name on PSN is BrandonHeat, step up to get nuke!

when you're using Arthur, PLEASE don't spam dagger throw. everybody does that and it's fucking annoying. any tips on how to get around that?
Don't tell him not to use an asset to his character for spacing. That's like telling someone not to use Falco or Wolf's lasers in Brawl. You may find it annoying, but remember the mantra "if they're all broken, no one is." har har.

Either way, super jumping or using a character that negates projectiles (Hsien-ko's gong/Amaterasu's reflector, or Magneto's barrier that destroys projectiles... you could even use Captain America's charging star) is your best bet against Arthur or any other projectile-based character.

Mr Esc, have you tried getting Arthur's Golden Armour super and then tagging him out? I've heard amazing things about his red potion assist doing major chip damage.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
so you're basically telling him not to play Arthur correctly because you can't beat it

Veedrock: the only reason I'd find it ok for you to think DP is hard is if this is your first fg.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
when you're using Arthur, PLEASE don't spam dagger throw. everybody does that and it's fucking annoying.
like for real, if you wanna play like that go play the computer, dont scrub it up online.

Haha, looks like Tron has an easy infinite on Sentinel. It's at the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTHTftx58Fw
ya i seen that...im more impressed that they can do that combo that long with out screwing up >_>

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
chucking shit across the screen = Arthur's playstyle. god knows he isnt going to win any prizes for anything else

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
thought i'd share some early impressions on how i feel about each of the characters, like Neptune did on page 5

one thing i must say is that i LOVE how balanced the characters seem... every one of them seem viable, which is great!

Ryu - actually not too bad, he seems to do above average damage and is very easy to pick up and play. shinku hadoken is a great hyper

Captain America - another "average" character who surprised me with how good he is. like Neptune said, his supers and hypers are easy to use and effective

Deadpool - perhaps the most annoying character to fight in the hands of a master, he has a good melee and ranged game. a very powerful and hilarious character with seemingly no weak points

Chun Li - i think she got toned down a bit from earlier builds... she seems good but nothing amazing. lightning legs is an incredible move, and she is very speedy, but i find there are better characters to use overall

Wolverine - my absolute favourite character in this game, he is a beast. berserker slash gives him some invicibility, allowing him to go through projectiles and start a rushdown. does a lot of damage and is very quick. he is a 100% mainstay on my team

Zero - this character is not working for me, but there is no denying that his OTG hyper is incredibly useful

Iron Man - a solid all-around character who again is very easy to pick up and play. no real weak points except for being a tad predictable

Spencer - it took me a while to get a hang of his grapple, but once i did, i really started liking this character. has good stamina and deals good damage. a fun and unique character

Magneto - as fast and as annoying as hell, his beam attack is so friggen annoying. seems very solid overall, although he is quite a large target for the amount of damage he takes

Tron - i really love Tron but im struggling to master her in marvel 3. reverse dragon punch is just plain annoying to execute. but im gettign the hang of it, and if anything, she is better on point than she was in marvel 2 =)

Hulk - actually, pretty good imo. some of his moves have good speed for the damage he deals, and gamma charge is just a plain awesome move. huge range, particularly on his launcher

Ammy - as much as i love her, i cant really get her working for me just yet. she seems really good but i need more time with her i think

Doctor Doom - another character i really love, im getting the hang of him but hes still not the easiest character to use. his beam is incredible and he plays a good melee and ranged game, like Deadpool. im committed to getting good with Doom because lets face it, he's just badass

Trish - an excellent character and a lot of fun to play. she can very quickly piss opponents off with her range of traps and ranged attacks. she is no slouch in the melee department either, but she has low stam, so be careful

She Hulk - shes okay but im not really clicking with her. you have to get her in the right stance to use certain moves and it gets a little annoying. not the character for me but i see potential here. she definitely does good damage

Felicia - a quick and quite damaging character, like Wolverine. surprisingly good to be honest, has a lot of strange moves with weird properties to keep your opponent guessing

MODOK - as much as i hate his character design, hes okay in this game. very unique... has a heavy reliance on his "analyze cube" move to power up his moves. i can see he'd be a nightmare in the right hands, but until then, ill enjoy smashing him in the face with Wolverine =)

Chris - just a plain good character. he has a lot of options with his gunfire move, as well as pissing rushdown characters off with landmines. he has an answer to everything but takes some time to get used to

Spiderman - i dont like Spiderman in this game, unfortunately. i dont know what it is, but i just plain dont enjoy playing as him. so ill pass on his analysis for now =)

Arthur - similar to MODOK, you play him by spamming shit from across the screen, either causing your opponent to die from damage/chip damage, or disconnect the match from frustration. i quite like him =) he's surprisingly not too bad in melee either

Dormammu - now HERE is a character for experts. once you get the hang of his dark hole and purification, he'll likely become a force. his meteor shower is a sweet move too. i think his biggest weakness will be players who utilize teleports well

Wesker - speaking of teleports, here is the master himself. for a character this fast, he does a lot of damage. his OTG assist is really helpful in setting up some combos. another character for experts, if only to utilize his teleports and pistol to the fullest

Thor - im glad he turned out decent, since he wasnt looking great during development. a powerful and sturdy character with some interesting options. i prefer Hulk for this role personally but Thor is way more diverse

Dante - welcome to the most annoying character to face. a Dante expert is my worst nightmare, he just has an incredible amount of options, and he looks fuckin sweet pulling them off. annoying to fight but i cant hate on Dante, he's just too cool!

Viper - ive played this character the least overall and therefore dont have a lot to say about her at the moment. sorry!

Storm - seems as good as always. her blizzard hyper is just plain bananas, and with a level 3 x-factor and some hyper bars, can turn the tide of a match on chip damage alone. she seems very good

Haggar - i thought a grapple type character wouldnt work in a game like this, but Haggar seems quite good in my eyes. he certainly does a lot of damage. the right assist support is the key to getting Haggar in close, and once he grabs you, you're fucked

Phoenix - yes yes, her stam is ridiculously low. but even as regular Phoenix, she is a powerful, fast character with amazing projectiles and a great teleport. and Dark Phoenix is just plain ridiculous. she is THE expert character of this game, so if you plan on maining her, good luck!

Morrigan - she is typically an "average" character in the games she appears in, but here, she seems pretty effective overall. many include her on their teams just for her assist that builds the hyper meter, but she is a good, consistent character on point too

X-23 - i can see how she can be very good, but shes not working for me at the moment. has a large amount of options to get in close and set up combos. ridiculously fast. i prefer Wolverine but i can see X-23 being just as good, perhaps even better

Viewtiful Joe - hes actually quite good, i never liked this character much but in Marvel 3 he pulls it off. his range is pathetic but once you're in (Red Hot Kick), its hard to shake him off. his "slowwwwwww" hyper is one of the best utility hypers in the game

Super Skrull - a very powerful and fun character who is easy to pick up and play. he deals a lot of damage and has a large variety of really sweet moves. his only weakness seems to be that he can be easily punished (im looking at you, accidental Tenderizer!)

Akuma - if you can get around the low defence, Akuma is a force to be reckoned with. many of his attacks are just plain better than Ryu's, which were pretty good to begin with. just dont get hit!

Taskmaster - i dont like him much but i may need some more time to experiment. he seems a bit sluggish overall and doesnt do as much damage as i'd like. he can pull off some pretty impressive combos though, and has a lot of stam

Hsien-ko - a very good character overall, she is a little on the slow side but other than that, you'll keep your opponent guessing and confused with a large variety of projectiles and normals with ridiculous range. her pendulum move (and assist) are incredible

Sentinel - he is very strong, yes, and has the highest stam. i dont feel he is overpowered but yeah, definitely a strong contender. that mouth laser seems just as ridiculous as its always been, and his OTG rocket punch can be an absolute killer

RODAN

Banned deucer.
what does she hulks dropkick do, I'm trying to learn her but have no idea what to do with that special

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
heh, and heres me using Dormammu/Wesker/Spencer
Spencer turned out great as I expected from when I first saw his introduction trailer.
those grapples are very good and can land both his hypers.
Love dormammu with purfication support, same actually with weskers Samurai edge ground shot.
did do some unranked matches this morning and I only lost 2 of about 12-15 matches I played, seen only 1 sentinel so far but that one was crap. good to see a lot of diverse teams actually online

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)