Marvel Comics discussion thread

I'm frankly surprised that their is no general thread to discuss the going-ons of comic books here, So I am here to alleviate this problem. To start off, I only read Marvel Comics, with this as my current pull list:

New Avengers
Mighty Avengers
Dark Avengers
Avengers: The Initative
Secret Warriors
Thunderbolts

Personally, I like the direction that the current Marvel universe has gone, although I'm a little disapointed with how Dark Reign started, since it seems like Secret invasion had nothing to really do with it.

So I would like to hear from others, what do you currently like/dislike in the current Marvel universe? What do you think is the future plans for some characters? Which twists caught you most be surprise?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The movies keep making me want to read comics in the Marvel Universe but it's all so overwhelming. They're all so long and almost all of them seem to interweave somehow so if I started one I'd feel obligated to read the others too!

Wish I wasn't such a latecomer :(

The movies keep making me want to read comics in the Marvel Universe but it's all so overwhelming. They're all so long and almost all of them seem to interweave somehow so if I started one I'd feel obligated to read the others too!

Wish I wasn't such a latecomer :(
Oh man, I know what you mean. Just seeing the Spider Man section in a comic book shop makes me awe. There's just so many, old ones, new ones, some that takes place in an alternate universe.

One thing I never liked about such popular titles is that they get remade too often. I don't buy comic often but I do watch the shows and let me tell you that I lost count of how many different Spider Man (animated series) I've seen.

Although I must say the new one "The Spectacular Spider Man" is certainly the best one I've seen since the 90's cartoon.

I'd like to ask, you the hardcore readers, what should I start reading first?

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Firestorm said:
I thought this for a while too, but recently picked up an Avengers book literally last Wednesday. What motivated me to finally do this was to realize that, unlike the plentiful number of idiots who worship at the altar of canon, all the different comics are are a bunch of different stories that may or may not take place with knowledge of the others. Kind of like Arthurian tales in a way. And just like you can read some Arthurian tales and not care about the rest of them because there's no strict "canon" about it, you can do the same with pretty awesome stories like the Avengers or X-men.

I've read a few comics, but they've mostly been random stories that I find confusing because I'm out of the loop storyline wise. The movies really encourage the comics, but the movies have been horrible as of late. It always ends up that the hero fights a superpowered version of himself.

Spidy vs Venom
Iron Man vs Iron Monger
Hulk vs Abomination

The comics seem a little cheesy and dragged out, but I guess that's how it's supposed to be.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
just pick up anything that looks interesting. wikipedia will fill you in what has happened in the past. a lot of times a character pops up that hasnt been seen in a while and i dont know anything about them i just wiki them.

there are also the movie comics that you would prolly like, that were pretty much specificly made for new readers whove seen the movie. i think invincible ironman is one of them, and ive heard great reviews for it.

I'm frankly surprised that their is no general thread to discuss the going-ons of comic books here
theres been quite a few threads...they never went anywhere (i blame doomsday)

although I'm a little disapointed with how Dark Reign started, since it seems like Secret invasion had nothing to really do with it.
it actually had a lot to do with it though. number1 of course being that ironman finally go what was coming to him (unless you were pro registration...) by pretty much letting the skrulls invade earth. most importantly norman osbron got the kill shot on the queen on tv, which made him the guy who saved the earth.

I have that problem too.. there are just too many things that has happened that I cant keep up. Anyways, I am currently reading the Civil War comics ( started with Avengers Disassemble, currently reading Decimation ) and its pretty interesting.. I am quiet excited about the fight that will occur at Civil War ).

I do have a question though.. what happened to Gambit, that X-men that attacks using cards etc.. currently, the comics ima reading contain lots of X-men but there is no sign of Gambit.. did he die ? =C

I've been a comic book reader since I was a little kid, although I just recently rekindled my love for them again. I actually liked the beginning to Dark Reign, but I didn't read too much of Secret Invasion. I like the new team of Avengers that Osborn has assembled in particular. In response to the guy above me, the last I heard about Gambit was him helping save Xavier from the New Orleans Assassin's Guild, then joining with Sebastian Shaw (another target of the Guild) to prevent Amanda Mueller from resurrecting Sinister (who had apparently been destroyed earlier by Mystique).

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
UsainBolt said:
I do have a question though.. what happened to Gambit, that X-men that attacks using cards etc.. currently, the comics ima reading contain lots of X-men but there is no sign of Gambit.. did he die ? =C
The current writers just got bored with him and decided to not use him, I suspect.

I can't like Dark Reign or anything that follows until everyone who writes the series starts pretending that Civil War never happened. Because man that was a retarded arc.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
gambit is currently starring in xmen legacy (formerly known as xmen) with professor x. theyre currently trying to save rogue whose mind is fucked up who is being used by danger (the danger room that became sentient back in astonishing xmen).

Dark Avengers is a fantastic book. Very refreshing and thought-out. Secret Invasion had fuckloads of potential but it was never completely explored...

Civil War fucking sucked. I love Captain Bucky though! Everyone should read the Capt. America comics, they're amazing - both the ones with good ol' Steve Rogers and the more recent ones with Bucky.

Amazing Spider-man is a gigantic flop and apart from two single comics where Hammerhead reappears (they managed to pick an old, lameass stereotypical villain and turned him into prolly the most badass foe to ever antagonize spider-man since Venom, I dare say) it's the single most terrible marvel comic on sale. Since they kept cycling writers, after those two hammerhead comics it went to shit again.

Any "punisher" title written by Garth Ennis is a must. This man has taken the character to his roots, while at the same time updating the book to a more modern setting and refining the punisher's badassness again.

Avengers: the initiative is probably the only great time to come out of civil war (except captain bucky america) and the MVP arc was insane! it was very entertaining and fun to read.

New deadpool is okay... disappointing, but I'm hoping they'll get another writer soon since deadpool is largely powered by his huge fanbase and they aren't very happy about daniel way writing the book. any other deadpool is a must-read (deadpool related, yet almost even better: the agent x mini-series).

fuck ultimatum.

I have to say that, because most of the Marvel Heros seem practically invincible (from what I gathered), I have been deterred from their comics. However, after reading the Marvel Zombies series (since I am a big zombie fan) by recommendation of a friend, I have taken quite an interest to their universe (multiverse?).

Now that I am interested, two things sort of hold a new fan back. Firstly, the wide array of superheros and villians makes one wonder where to begin. Secondly, with such an impressive history, is it really so easy to just jump into a plotline? Surely many important facts of how matters came to be would be missed.

Dark Avengers is pretty awesome, I agree. As with most of the other sentiments.

Gah! Big comics week! I got 4 to pick up this Thursday. Hopefully they will mostly be good.

I actually want to see where Secret Warriors goes, because it already had a cool premise, and the twist at the end of the first issue is something that you KNOW Nick isn't going to let stand still.

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RB, I take it you're quite the Bendis fan.

Anyways, I read A LOT of marvel stuff. Like seriously, I read about 70% of their books.

Too much to discuss so I'll just keep it simple for now and say that Iron Man is a favorite since the end of Secret Invasion. I just love the mind games he has going on with Norman Osborn.

Does anyone read the new more cosmic marvel story lines: Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, or either of the annilation story arcs??
Theyre working on one right now, War of the kings I believe. Its being hyped up as being the negative zone vs the inhumans. It sounds pretty interesting.

RB, I take it you're quite the Bendis fan.

Anyways, I read A LOT of marvel stuff. Like seriously, I read about 70% of their books.

Too much to discuss so I'll just keep it simple for now and say that Iron Man is a favorite since the end of Secret Invasion. I just love the mind games he has going on with Norman Osborn.
I'm not really a bendis fan, I just like The Avengers and Nick Fury.

And speaking of stuff I just picked up 4! comics yesterday. New Avengers was a little disapointing, but it's ending made up for it. I thought Mighty Avengers was pretty awesome, as it showed them acting like they had been forced together and not automatically like a team. I just hope we get a good explanation for the scarlet witchs return.

Also, after reading about all the hype i has been receiving, I decided to give Wolverine a shot and read the Old man Logan issues. It's fantastic. Millar at his best.

Scofield

is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I'm dropping all X-men books save Astonishing and Wolverine Origins, Hulk, and something else I can't remember.

both my roommates know everything about everything on this, it seems. They are talking about wolverines hot female clone, spiderman doing this that or the other thing, how they liked the new avengers but the dark avengers blah blah the writing, the drawing, always a fucking opinion!

I read them and I get frustrated. I open it and see a menagerie, nay, a cluster fuck of new heros and villains that don't make any sense to me. What the fuck is Domino and how is being lucky anything substantial? As for old school guys: Why is that guy able to stretch so fucking far and what if he were to use his nutsack just to, you know, fuck with someone? I ask way too many questions and I can't get into it at all. Perhaps this is because the last comics I truely enjoyed were the Dark Empire Star Wars Comics. Those were fucking awesome, as was anything star wars back when the special editions came out and I was still a little child.

Also I had an original copy of the first comic that carnage appeared in given to me...but then I decided to read it and I was a child and things happened. Also, I had the spiderman anniversary with the hologram and the aliens anniversary one, but alas I was a child and had no concept of value or the future. I miss those days.

edit: wolverine origins takes place partially on the stampede grounds in my hometown, since he's from very close to there. That's awesome, since all edmonton got was shitty old sabretooth.

Not marvel but I saw someone mention Millar, did you read Wanted? fucking AMAZING!!

And yeah, I just finally got a subscription to the new Deadpool and went and bought the back issues (1-7). I loved Cable and Deadpool and the new series is decent..I wish theyd get the Cable/Deadpool writer back on it though.

Also Ive been into the new Moon Knight serious.

wanted was cool. very millar-esque, and by that i mean lots of cameos from both real life celebs (eminem?) and other comic book characters - that was the focal point i think, all the mesh up of villains and trying to figure out who's based on who and such.

millar is my new crush when it comes to writers, anyone here should read ultimates volume 1 and 2, KICK-ASS, and the new wolverine arc, 'old man logan'

Scofield

Yeah I love millar. Read Superman Red Son and maybe civil war too if you like him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)