M-Scizor, Heatran & Co.

Hello everyone!

As it is my very first post on this forum, I would like to introduce myself a little before starting.
I have been interested in the exercise of pokemon team building for a long time now, but I only recently decided to try out the real deal with a simulator (Pokemon Online). The first thing that came out of this experience was that real battles and theory are very different. Only when I started to play online I realized how rich and complex the pokemon strategy is, and its only then that I really understood the notion of metagame. I was surprised to see that after some games, I actually started to be a somewhat decent player, but I think there is still plenty of room for improvement. (At least, that's what numbers are telling me.) Enough about me, let's see that team:

-------------------INTRODUCTION-------------------

I have been playing that team quite a few times and I believe the outcome of those games is positive. I won most of them, but I know there are still some trouble with it, as I will detail later (Charizard X or Landorus, to name a few).

-------------------TEAM-------------------

Scizor

@Scizorite
©Technician
Nature Careful
EV: 252 Sp.D, 252 HP, 4 Def

- Sword-Dance Defog
- Bullet Punch
- Aerial Ace Roost
- Pursuit

I don't invest any EV's in speed because most of the time I hit with bullet punch and the speed stat in meaningless when using Pursuit. I was actually surprised to see how handy it is to have that move on that pokemon, as it can help to get rid of very frequent pokemon such as Aegi or Gengar. At first I played Bug Bite instead of Aerial Ace for the STAB, but bug moves are just weak against too many types. I could also use Roost, though. Edit: So I considered the comments below and made it a bulky defoger. It seems to work better this way.
Synergy: there is of course the very nice combo with Heatran and its Flash Fire ability. Some of Scizor's resistance are also useful for the team, such as Grass (Gastrodon).

-------------------

Heatran
@Balloon
©Flash Fire
Nature Modest
EV: 252 Sp.A, 252 Spe, 4 HP

- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Flash Canon Stealth Rock
- Dragon Pulse Ancient Power

At first, I played it with Life orb, but I decided to go for the Balloon when I started being crushed by M-Zard X with Earthquake. I also played it Timid, but I concluded that it was a waste of power without the choice scarf. Of course, it is a good check to many pokemons, Talonflame first. Dealing with Aegi is tricky because of the omnipresence of Sacred Sword. Landorus and Charizard X also give me a hard time once the balloon is popped. I prefered Lava Plume to Flamethrower because of the Burn probability. I almost never use Flash Cannon, but I don't know what else to put here. Any suggestion? Edit: SR will definitely help to support the Team and Flash Canon was useless anyways. I decided to replace Dragon Pulse with Ancient Power because of Talon and YZard. I didn't use it much anyways. I need to test it a little more
Synergy: it goes well with my two weaknesses to Fire and it might bring some appreciated Water-type moves against Gastrodon.

-------------------

Skarmory
@ Leftovers
©Strudy
Nature Careful
EV: 252 Sp.D, 252 HP, 4 Def

- Defog Spikes
- Roar
- Iron Head Brave Bird
- Roost

I decided to play it more defensively and to not give it any EH moves. My team can face big trouble if entangled into a Sticky Web, so I needed a defog. Here you go. I also needed a phazer, especially for the dragon dancers, and I think the ability Sturdy goes well for that role. I chose Iron Head over Brave Bird to somehow surprise the opponent, as I believe it is not common, and also to avoid recoil. Do you have a better suggestion? Roost is obvious. Edit: Brave Bird proved to be more useful than Iron Head. I like the Spikes too, which definitely helps supporting the team.
Synergy: once again it pairs up quite well with Heatran, but also with Gastrodon (electric, grass). It also gives me a very useful immunity to ground-type move, which also helps with Heatran.

-------------------

Chansey
@Eviolite
©Natural Cure
Nature Bold
EV: 252 Def, 252 HP, 4 Sp.D

- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Thunder wave
- Seismic Toss

I chose it over Blissey because the Eviolite gives it more bulk (of course, the lack of leftovers is unpleasant.) I like Thunder Wave here because it can give me the priority advantage in late game for my slower pokemons like Gastrodon or Heatran. I still think it can be quite handy to have a move that deals damage and I think Chansey's offensive stats are so ridiculous that Seismic Toss is quite a good deal. The wisher-beller part is self-explainatory.
Synergy: this pokemon brings a nice Ghost immunity for Gengar, who gives the change by having a extremely useful Fighting immunity that also helps Heatran.

-------------------

Gengar
@ Choice Specs
©Levitate
Nature Timid
EV: 252 Sp.A, 252 Spe, 4 HP

- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga-Drain
- Focus Blast

With this EV repartition, I'm sure to have the fastest Gengar in the game. I think the two STAB moves are very powerful, especially Sludge Bomb and its very nice 30% of chance of poisoning (which can be very useful against Focus Sash starter such as Galvantula). Focus Blast completes Shadow Ball very well for type coverage. I put Giga-Drain in the last slot to surprise the opponent (who would usually put me on Thunder) and give me the opportunity to get some HP back.
Synergy: Levitate gives me a more-than-appreciated second immunity to Ground. As already said, there is a good overall synergy with Chansey.

-------------------

Gastrodon
@ Leftovers
©Storm Drain
Nature Modest
EV: 252 Sp.A, 252 HP, 4 Def

- Recover
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Ice beam

I chose it at first because of synergy reasons, but it turns out it is quite useful in plenty of situations. Its very good double typing and good movepool allow me to make it a bullky sweeper. If it gets a Sp.A boost from a water-type move, it start to become quite powerful. Even without it, it can bring trouble to the opponent's team with some Burn conditions coming from Scald or it can surprise Landorus or some Dragons like Garchomp with Ice Beam.
Synergy: It's excellent abillity Storm Drain is my only resistance to Water-type move that are a strong menace to Heatran. Its grass weakness is taken care of by Scizor, Skarmory and Heatran.

-------------------CONCLUSION-------------------

I hope you enjoyed looking at this team and I hope I'm not making a fool out of myself by posting it here. As I play on Pokemon Online, M-Lucario and M-Gengar are not in the OU tier (thank god!). As I stated before, I had quite some success with that team, but I realized I always get into troubles when facing teams containing either Charizard-X or Landorus, so if you have any advice about it, I'll be glad to hear it! Also, if you spot an obvious flow that I didn't see in all those games, please let me know. Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Your team is very defensive overall so I think hazard support would be useful. Especially with some phasing. Probably want spikes on skarmory and maybe move decoy to scizor. Sr on heatran over flash cannon .

Your team is very defensive overall so I think hazard support would be useful. Especially with some phasing. Probably want spikes on skarmory and maybe move decoy to scizor. Sr on heatran over flash cannon .
Thanks for the comment. I think your right. Do you also suggest I should modifiy some of the EV repartitions (Scizor, Heatran) to be more bulky overall? I would go for Spikes over defog on Skar and defog on Scizor, but on what? Aerial Ace? Or maybe something more like Bullet Punch/Pursuit/Roost/Defog?

I think a bulky ev spread is better on m scizor due to impressive base stats (higher def than skarm) but I play him as SD so idk a bulky spread off the top of my head.roost decoy bullet punch and u turn is good. Brave bird on skarm allows it to threaten things it walls such as m venu. Iron head sounds underwhelming.

I'll find something for the EVs of Scizor, but I'll orient it in a more defensive fashion. I'll try brave bird on skar. Thanks.

So, I did try some of your advices and it turned out quite well! It still needs some testing, but I think those changes are for the best. You can check it out in the original post that I just edited. What do you guys think now? Any other advice? I'll let you know how this new team works out.

the bulkier spread for scizor is as follows 248 HP / 44 Atk / 116 Def / 100 SDef
you also should run the SpDef ev spread for heatran and replace earth power for toxic and ancient power for protect. generally a more defensive skarmory is used and with heatran in play it would be the wiser choice so instead of the special defensive ev's on skarm dump them into defense.

sorry this post is so messy im on my wii u as my laptop is broken atm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)