ORAS OU M-Amph + Hoopa-U Volt-turn (1390 Peak .-. need help)

This team is heavily based on/ inspired by njnp 's team.
This team is a result of my attempt to make a volt-turn team with Fabio (Amph-M) and Hoopa-Unbound, I started with both those mons and used njnp's Hoopa spread. I used to play a lot in XY OU hovering around 1500-1600 but stopped about 6 months ago, I'm finding it hard to win a lot of games in this meta with teams I built myself.
I feel like volt-turn is a very good way to get the most out of Hoopa-Unbound but at the same time, mons like TankChomp are making the playstyle a lot more annoying than I feel it should be.

Katherine(Clefable) (F) @

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

I originally had a Ferrothorn in this slot but fleggumfl suggested I use this instead as it was a better check to faster threats and was an especially good check versus Mega Lopunny.
SR because hazards are really good.
Moonblast for good STAB
T-Wave because who needs skill when you've got yellow magic and
Soft-Boiled for solid recovery

Gerald(Victini) @

Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

I wanted a strong offensive presence and didn't want Azumarill, I originally picked Darmanitan but someone suggested I use Victini instead as it has more coverage and it doesn't lose half it's health when it kills something, It's also synergetic because it can learn u-turn.
V-create for a ridiculous STAB move with 180 BP.
Bolt Strike to hit water types who try to switch in
U-turn to keep up momentum and
Zen Headbutt for a neutral STAB move.

Rikudō (Hoopa-Unbound) @

Ability: Magician
EVs: 20 HP / 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 188 Spe 192 Atk/64 SpA /252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse
One of the main mons the team is based around, it's pretty common knowledge that Hoopa unbound isn't the easiest mon to switch in, with it's Dark/Psychic typing it has NO RESISTS and while that comes with the luxury of one weakness, its base 60 defense makes that mean a lot less versus a physical attacker, putting it on a volt-turn team offers it amazing support and switch-in potential.
Gunk Shot to nail fairies.
Drain Punch to hit Bisharp and Heatran, two very annoying mons.
Psyshock for a versatile STAB move and
Dark Pulse for a strong special STAB with a 20% chance to flinch!

Fabio (Ampharos-Mega) (M) @

Ability: Static
EVs: 208 HP / 72 Def / 180 SpD / 48 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I've always wanted to use Mega Ampharos in OU ever since it was released, but it's agility set wasn't very consistent so I dropped it, then I watched a Heatah Fajita where this was just eating hits and tried to build around it again, I used to run a 248/252 Def spread but fleggumfl told me the SpD set it just fine, still I went with 48 Spe to outspeed min Spe Azumarill and 72 Def as 180 SpD was enough for Zard Y Fire Blast to always 3HKO.
Volt Switch for momentum and good STAB
Dragon Pulse for STAB and also hits hard for an uninvested mon almost OHKO-ing Dragonite (not popular but still impressive) and doing 60% to tank chomp.
Rest for Recovery and
Sleep Talk to attack (sometimes) while asleep.

Nina(Tornadus-Therian) @

Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 76 HP / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- U-turn

If I'm gonna be honest I don't know exactly why I added this mon, I didn't know what else to put into the team and I thought another ground resist could be cool so I added this, It's also ridiculously fast so that was obviously attractive, I feel this is the most unreliable mon on my team but sometimes ends up winning me the game.
Hurricane (to miss every fucking turn) for STAB
Superpower to hit steel types switching in to hurricane.
Knock Off for it's utility
U-turn to keep up momentum.

Herbert(Rotom-Wash)@

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom-W because it's arguably one of the best pokemon in the entire game, it's typing is phenomenal and makes it a great defensive threat and the pain split set lets it sustain itself through out the game, it also gets access to hydro pump and when it's not missing it does very respectable damage.
Hydro Pump for STAB
Volt Switch to keep up momentum
Will-O-Wisp to burn Physical attackers and handle certain set up sweepers.
Pain Split to keep it's health up.​
Katherine (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Gerald (Victini) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Fabio (Ampharos-Mega) (F) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 208 HP / 72 Def / 180 SpD / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Nina (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 HP / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Rikudō (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 192 Atk / 64 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse

Herbert (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

THREAT-LIST
Cosmic Power Clefable if Hoopa dies/misses, M-Alt, Weavile, a well played M-Lop and Bisharp under certain circumstances. DD Mega Charizard X​

Last edited:
Hello Kazuma n_n,
Looking at your team now and you've done a pretty good job of it, although looking at your team:
Mega Diancie and Kyurem-Black seem to put a lot of pressure on this team(Diancie OHKO everything except washtom and clefable, and mega ampharos, and even that suffers a fairy weakness), and to take hits from them a bit better and thus act as a better check I would run a 252 hp/172 def/84 spdef spread on clefable. Clefable also helps against weavile/mega altaria, so that hoopa-u can revenge kill them after Clefable T-Waves on them.
I would also say run 192 attack/64 spatk/252 speed spread on Hoopa-U so you can ohko 172 def clefable with that spread. Bisharp seems incredibly threatening to the team. For that all I can do is suggest Hippowdon over Victini, since you can run rocks on Hippowdon, makes your team a lot less weak to rocks without the hazard removal, grants a bisharp switchin, as well a Mega Lopunny switch in, which the team could lose to without clefable and can put pressure on mega altaria too. For this you can also run calm mind over stealth rock on clefable to handle kyurem and diancie better. On the down side however, you do lose a lot of coverage. Also consider running hyperspace fury on Hoopa-U coz it's cool
I would also run focus blast over superpower on Tornadus-Therian, because superpower with a timid nature on torn-t really doesnt hit all that hard, and sometimes the hax is just worth it.

Hippowdon spread
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

One problem with the team however is that it's potentially really weak to YZard (although Fabio reks), and no hazard control kind of sucks, although it's hard to deplete that without breaking your VoltTurn.

Apart from that, thanks for reading my rate and I hope you take my contributions on board n_n.

Having Superpower on your Tornadus-Therian seems extremely counterintuitive with your choice of a Timid nature. If you wish to keep Superpower, go with the +Spe -Def nature. If that is not the case instead go with Focus Blast instead of Superpower.

And if you want your RMT to overall LOOK better, go with 3D sprites or smaller artwork.

Hello Kazuma n_n,
Looking at your team now and you've done a pretty good job of it, although looking at your team:
Mega Diancie and Kyurem-Black seem to put a lot of pressure on this team(Diancie OHKO everything except washtom and clefable, and mega ampharos, and even that suffers a fairy weakness), and to take hits from them a bit better and thus act as a better check I would run a 252 hp/172 def/84 spdef spread on clefable. Clefable also helps against Weavile/Mega Altaria, so that Hoopa-U can revenge kill them after Clefable T-Waves on them.
I would also say run 192 attack/64 spatk/252 speed spread on Hoopa-U so you can ohko 172 def clefable with that spread. Bisharp seems incredibly threatening to the team. For that all I can do is suggest Hippowdon over Victini, since you can run rocks on Hippowdon, makes your team a lot less weak to rocks without the hazard removal, grants a bisharp switchin, as well a Mega Lopunny switch in, which the team could lose to without clefable and can put pressure on mega altaria too. For this you can also run calm mind over stealth rock on clefable to handle kyurem and diancie better. On the down side however, you do lose a lot of coverage. Also consider running hyperspace fury on Hoopa-U coz it's cool
I would also run focus blast over superpower on Tornadus-Therian, because superpower with a timid nature on torn-t really doesnt hit all that hard, and sometimes the hax is just worth it.

Hippowdon spread
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

One problem with the team however is that it's potentially really weak to YZard (although Fabio reks), and no hazard control kind of sucks, although it's hard to deplete that without breaking your VoltTurn.

Apart from that, thanks for reading my rate and I hope you take my contributions on board n_n.
Thanks for the rate, I'm definitely putting in the clefable spread and the Hoopa Spread, thanks.
I'll test Hippo tomorrow it's late here.

Looks like a fun team. Might try it sometime, but right now there are some obvious flaws.

Like you said in the beginning of the rmt, tank chomp causes a lot of problems. The best way to help that is getting rid of victini. It gets walled by that thing for days, and is very susceptible after a v-create. My suggestion as a replacement would be scarfed kyurem-b. This guy easily forces chomper out, while also helping with other things that threaten you like diancie and other kyurem. You don't need so many volt-turners either so you don't lose too much for the lack of it on this monster.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 224 Spe / 252 Atk / 32 SpA
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Outrage/Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head

Last edited:

Dranzer Gigs

Banned deucer.
Ok, I like the movesets for your Pokemon as they are solid, and you do have a good balance of Offensive and Defensive Pokemon, and the Volt Switch and U-Turn combonation will keep the momentum running. The Rest and Sleep Talk combination will keep it going and since few can resist the Electric/Dragon Stab with Mold Breaker. Maybe you could consider Giving Hoopa Unbound a choice scarf and maybe fitting Fire Punch somehwere on their if you want to trip up Mega Scizor users, and I would replace Drain Punch for that, but its only if you want a pretty good trump card, and then you may want to add U-Turn somewhere if you go with a choice scarf. As for Victini, maybe give it a life orb? 100 Speed is decent, and Life Orb can help it do more damage. Hope this helps and maybe gives you something to think about. And since Black Kyurem with Choice Scarf can do some serious damage, all I can say is take Victini with a choice scarf, and just ram it with V-Create, it should do some damage. But overall still really solid

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)