Local GameStop Tournament RMT

There's a local GameStop tournament coming up next weekend that I want to compete in. RMT, and here's the list of rules for the tourney:
Rules: Flat Battle (Lv 50), Singles, 6-on-6, 2 legendaries allowed, GRAND PRIZE POKEMON BLACK AND WHITE

Aerodactyl (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Jolly (Spe+ / SA-)
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Taunt
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

Standard suicide lead. Not too sure on how often Stealth Rock will be in the tournament, so Taunt might be a waste of space, seeing as how most teams will be unorthodox. However, Aero's own Stealth Rock will prove invaluable. Stone Edge and Earthquake provides standard coverage. I'm thinking of playing him a bit less suicidally due to him being my only flyer and only Pokemon with Ground-resistance/immunity. Although, having nubs killing my first Pokemon can lull them into a false sense of security, which I can take advantage of. :D

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant (Atk+ / SpA-)
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 10 Spe
-U-turn
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Pursuit

Standard CB Scizor. Should prove fairly useful in the tourney, as one-on-one, Scizor should be a threat to anything without a Fire attack. But then again, I'm expecting lots of unorthodox teams, and I won't know what exactly will be carrying a Fire attack. I can partner Scizor with my upcoming Water and/or Dragon types if I can predict properly. However, for the most part, Scizor's STABs will be invaluable to damage-dealing, and Superpower as well. However, I'm thinking Pursuit might be more useless in the tournament, and I'm wondering if it should be replaced or not.

Darkrai @ Leftovers
Ability: Bad Dreams
Nature: Timid (Spe+ / Atk-)
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Dark Void
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse
-Focus Blast

Standard Sleep & Sweep Darkrai. Not sure if Sleep Clause will be in affect or not. I'll clarify day of the tournament I suppose. Since my first three Pokemon were directly transferred from my standard team, Darkrai's here to replace my Offensive CM Suicune (seeing as how Suicune counts as one of my two "legends", it's a waste of space). Not to worry though, I've still got a bulky water...

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
-Water Spout
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunder

A nifty little monster I had sitting on the side. This Kyogre replaces my Scarf Flygon. It's got amazing power and coverage with STAB Water Spout destroying nearly everything in its path, with Surf following for decent damage after Kyogre's taken damage. Then, we've got ThunderBeam, the superior rainy cousin of the BoltBeam combo. I'm hoping for Kyogre to be an absolute force in the tournament. Along with Drizzle weakening Scizor's fire weakness, it also allows another member of my team to exceed to the Uber level:

Kingdra (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Naughty (Atk+ / SpD-)
EVs: 252 Atk / 26 SpA / 232 Spd
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Outrage
-Ice Beam / Draco Meteor (?)

Another new addition to my standard team... basically meaning only two Pokemon ended up being on my standard team thanks to editing it >_>. Anywho, thanks to Kyogre's Drizzle, Kingdra absolutely dominates everything in its path. With STAB Drizzle'd Waterfall and STAB Outrage, Kingdra is packing equally ridiculously powerful moves to fire off of its maxed Attack stat (paired with Dragon Dance to boost both Attack and Speed to insane levels). With DD, Kingdra can not only boost power, but outspeed enemy Choice Scarfers and Rayquaza. I'm needing some help with Ice Beam vs. Draco Meteor though. This team seems so ridiculously loaded for a 4 non-legends/2 legends, I decided to add even more insult to injury with my next choice...

Garchomp (M) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Jolly (Spe+ / SpA-)
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang

I just couldn't resist putting Garchomp on my team thanks to GameStop's rules. With my first five Pokemon being borrowed from my Standard and Uber teams, Garchomp is here to replace Dragonite (who I played similarly to Garchomp anyways).

Threat List:
Kyogre - My own Kyogre has Scarf w/ Max Speed, so as long as it doesn't come in on a Thunder, it can destroy all others with its own Thunder.
Palkia - Kingdra can come in on a Water-type move and outspeed and OHKO, but if Palkia comes in with Dragon-type moves, I'll have to offer one of my own Pokes.
Arceus - Careful planning for each type. Darkrai can outspeed and hit it with any one of its moves, as can Kingdra and Kyogre. However, I may have to train my eyes in picking up which form is which. Also, ExtremeKiller Arceus is incredibly deadly... I can only pray no one uses it.
Wobbuffet - It's uber for a reason, right? Hopefully enemy Wobbs bite off more than they can chew and end up dying before they can KO any of my Pokes, but otherwise, Scizor and Darkrai both offer nice SE hits on it.
Darkrai - Basically, my own Darkrai... with either Dark Void or Focus Blast. I'm considering Lum Berry for Kingdra just for status-inducers like Darkrai.
Infernape - Someone told me Infernape can destroy majority of my team, but thanks to the additions of Kyogre and Kingdra, Rain + water + outspeeding = sad Infernape. Heck, even max speed Scarfnape gets outsped by my Swift Swim Kingdra (who's EV'd just for the occasion).
Heatran - Same as above, Heatran's not gonna like it much in the rain. Fire gets weakened, and even the Choice Scarf variant gets outsped by both Kingdra and Kyogre. Trickier Heatrans might provide a bit more resistance, but i should be able to outsmart and outmuscle them.

You should abuse scarfogre, water spout is going to wreck every random scrub that shows up. Thats what alot of people used during the 2007 tourney x)

Hmm, right. Scarfogre would be a legitimate option, but I would have to removed Palkia. And if, by chance, I run into ANOTHER Scarfogre, Palkia is the perfect counter.

P.S. If you have any other possible threats that could show up (since I'm not familiar with this battling environment), please feel free to list them.

EDIT: The more I sit on this idea of a Scarfogre, the better it sounds. Luckily, I have another Kyogre sitting on the side. Here's it's info:

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
-Water Spout
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunder

Only problem is with running this is that other ScarfPalkia might give my team some problems.

EDIT2: Using Kyogre could also allow me to use Kingdra efficiently. Perphaps in place of Garchomp? I dunno :/

I already decided that Arceus could be a major threat, but I'm hoping Arceus won't have much of a presence at the tournament. His versatility is huge. As long as there's no ExtremeKiller Arceus, my team should be fine, as I'll try to save Darkrai's Sleep after I've scouted most of their team and I'll try to use it on whatever's the biggest threat.

I highly recommend wobb. I am going to be using it.

I owuld reocmmend a lum berry bug bite scizor as darkrai would wreck your team.

Alright, I've decided to swap out Palkia and Lucario for Kyogre and Kingdra. Changes have been made to the first post.

Hm, Darkrai shouldn't be too much of a threat. He might be able to sleep one Pokemon, but even without Sleep Clause, Scarfogre, SS Kingdra, and my own Darkrai can all outspeed (or at least Speed tie) and OHKO (I would assume, but I can't find a decent damage calculator :/).

EDIT: I'm not so sure Wobb mixes well with my team, as everything else is in place. The only one Wobb could possibly replace would be Garchomp... and I'm not too sure about that.
Also, what do you mean "I am going to be using it."? >_>

Im going to a tourney at game stop and after testing with wobb.
Most people there I wouldnt worry about perfect ev trained pokes.
The arecus your gonna face (most likely) will still have all the moves from the event.

-bp off luke
+crunch

So after a sd you can take out the giratinas.

Oh wow, where's your Gamestop at? Hopefully, not the same I'm going to. >_>

Anyways, I can't manage getting Lucario with Crunch, as it's an egg move, and I don't have enough time to hatch/train another perfect IV'd, EV'd, level 51+ Lucario. Shadow Claw is a possibility, but I'm not too sure at this point, as this Lucario is from my standard team, and once I get rid of Bullet Punch, it's gone forever (Egg Move).

You have 7 pokemon. Anyway, solid power loaded team you got here. I would recommend replacing Kingdra with a specially based attacking set, because from my experience they are simply more powerful and harder to wall. Hydro Pump lets you even 2HKO stuff like Gyarados and Surf isn't too bad either. Look at the Ubers set for Kingdra on-site. Whatever you use please don't use Ice Beam. MEATY Water+Dragon STAB needs its fullest abuse.

I would also like to see slightly better synergy, by this I mean a pokemon that can actually take Ground type attacks. If a CB Groudon, or a Rock Polish Groudon gets in safely on Scizor or Lucario it can nearly OHKO your entire team with EQ. You dont wanna have to sacrifice stuff so you can get Kyogre in safely, but I dont know exactly what to do here. I would say put Skarm over Aero but this team is a bit too offensive minded for that to go well. Lugia would make 3 legends if you used it. It is nice to be able to dodge ground type moves, but maybe not as necessary as normal at Game Stop. Just something to think about.

Thanks for the heads up. I accidentally left Lucario there when I was replacing Pokemon. So I think I'll swap Ice Beam for Draco Meteor (now that I think of it, it's A LOT better...). Also, a legit Groudon user really is terrifying, but I would say sloppy Groudons would be more common. Regardless, most RP Groudon can't outspeed Kingdra (may require Kyogre sacrifice to bring the rain back), but if it's really slow, Kyogre can take it out with Water Spout or even Surf (mebbe). CB Groudon could be revenge killed by Kyogre as well. I've also always got Darkrai sitting there waiting to Dark Void someone.
Anyways, with the battle 8 hours from now, I've been REALLY leaning towards a Wash-Rotom for this team (that's allowed in wireless battles, right?). Problem is, I would have to replace one of my Pokemon, and I wouldn't know which one. :/

Rotom forms in wi-fi are considered hacks because they normally change back to a normal Rotom when you battle on wi-fi. And don't worry about Surf not KOing Groudon in the rain it will get annihilated :) Max HP Groudon takes a minimum of 139% from it.

Maybe Salamence could work as a ground immunity. Also don't forget that a Swift Swim sweeper such as Ludicolo or Kabutops is more potent than a standard sweeper like Garchomp.

Yeahh.. soo.. Wash Rotom IS available in Wireless battles, right? Cuz I'm sure it was allowed on one of them (Wireless or Wi-fi). Not that it matters by now... battle's in 2 hours!

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

Hey guys... I WON!

Final Tournament Team:
(ThunderSpecs)

Substitute for final round:
(ExtremeKiller)

The battles were intense and me and my friend were worried about being some of the oldest ones there. 70+ people showed up, and lots had strong EV trained Pokemon (little surprise when you think about how open the internet world is nowadays).

First two battles: Little kids (they made up maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of the competitors). Very easy battles, but I felt bad and offered to tradewith the first one, but I didn't have time to due to repeated battles. Second kid, used a Machoke for his first Pokemon >_>. So I offered to trade him to evolve it afterwards. In both battles, Darkrai and Rotom were not used.

Third battle: This is where things started to get interesting, as I fought a teen. Started with Aerodactyl vs. Hippowdon. Normally I would assume SR and use Taunt, but I haven't seen anything near this level of competition yet, so I decided to SR while he attempts to attack weakly. To my surprise, both of us used SR. He laughed and was surprised that I used "that set-up too". It was a pretty good battle, but one thing: he didn't have any legends! He used all standards, and said that his friends told him legends are cheating. I told him that with these rules, you need every chance you get. Ended up winning 3-0, with Darkrai still not making an appearance.

Fourth battle (Quarter-finals): Things got even more interesting here. The guy EV trains, had good IVs, and natures (we discussed it during battle). On top of that, he was using two legends (Deoxys and Kyogre). Managed to beat him with strategic switching. I think it was 3-0 or something, but finding that guys of this level are competing were nerve-racking. Darkrai still didn't enter the battlefield.

Fifth battle (Semi-finals): For the semi-finals, the top four were sat at a table in the middle of Gamestop, so I started to gain a legion of little kid fans. I was actually talking to this guy before we had our quarter-final match-up. Decent enough kid. He used Giratina and Darkrai as his legends. I heard he was using Darkrai, so I asked him if he minded playing with Sleep Clause, and he obliged, giving the exception of Arceus, "if I see a Arceus, I'm putting it to sleep." His other pokemon were Metagross, Mamoswine, Infernape, and Azumarill(ehh?). The match was actually ridiculously close, as I was unable to set up SR. Although the long battle put us at 3-3, I already knew I had it in the bag. Still, it came down to 1-1 with Kyogre vs. Infernape, so it was a close battle.

Final battle: Fought a younger teen who seemed noticeably younger than the last guy I fought, (heard he beat a little kid using nub Pokemon in his semi-final). However, I didn't want to take any chances. After Darkrai wasn't used in the first four battles and barely managed in the fifth, I decided to switch him for Arceus (Normal ExtremeKiller set). It was a real back-and-forth amazingly offensive battle (battle saved it). He was by far the best I had challenged in the tournament. His legends of choice were the same as mine: Kyogre and Arceus. However, thanks to Kyogre, Kingdra, and Wash Rotom being key players (Kyogre and Kingdra via being themselves, and Rotom for finishing his Kyogre and LOLOHKOing his Breloom with Specs Thunder), he finally brought out his final "mystery" Pokemon, Arceus with me having Kyogre (~75% health Choice Scarf'd on Water Spout) and Arceus, who still hasn't made an appearance. Basically, I decide to have Kyogre drag it out and chance a Water Spout. It moves first, when I hear my opponent saying, "crap I chose the wrong move!". Kyogre does about ~85% damage (surprisingly high IMO) and Arceus uses Recover (so it wasn't all that useless I suppose). Kyogre attempts another Water Spout, but first gets hit by a Extremespeed, leaving its Water Spout to deal very small damage. However, he could still get 1-2HKO'd by it. So I selected it again as a kamikaze, but got Extremespeed'd first. Then, it was my Arceus (100%) vs. his Arceus (-50%). I KO'd him quickly via Extremespeed.

After surprisingly tough battles, I'm now signed up to get the free copies of Pokemon Black and White next week! :D

Here's the video of the final fight in case anyone was interested in watching:
40-65423-71565

Congrats man! I was thinking of entering the local one over here, but they didn't have any rules posted when I dropped by on Saturday :(.

Reppin 4 da gamefaqs (h)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)