Little things you like about Pokémon

There's been enough fake text screenshots going around lately that I just assume it's fake since it's hard to double check (the spanish wiki only has her BW1 dialog).
It could very well be fake, hence “apparently”

take it with a grain of salt, but if true…wow
Went to Youtube to check for a video, found a Black 2 Playlist of the Various Boss Battles in Challenge Mode. It's dated a couple years back and based on the Playlist description, for the European Spanish version (since they mention Spain and I'm unsure if LatAm Spanish got its own localization as some other properties did/do).

Time-stamped here, the text appears when she sends out her Sigilyph as her final Pokemon (exclusive to her first battle), which makes me inclined to believe the text is real since the Mon differs and thus the screenshot wasn't likely sourced from this video. I can't 100% assure it's an untouched game since there appears to be some smoothing filter over the sprites, but I doubt a filter over sprites blown up from a Handheld Screen by an Emulator is in the same category to modify as changing dialogue and ONLY dialogue.

Spanish person here. In one hand, Caitlin does almost swear in Spanish BW2. In the other hand, her words are literally "can you go to" as in go to shit, because shit isn't a overly strong word in Spain. And now you know.
"Te puedes ir a la" is something that is pretty much never said outside of "te puedes ir a la mierda?", which does mean "could you go fuck yourself?".

"Go to shit" is not a proper translation of "irse a la mierda", just a literal one of the words used. Don't translate word by word.

And yeah, Spain is quite lax with profanity, AND this one line technically has no profanity. Just a hint of profanity that everybody will get.

"Te puedes ir a la" is something that is pretty much never said outside of "te puedes ir a la mierda?", which does mean "could you go fuck yourself?".

"Go to shit" is not a proper translation of "irse a la mierda", just a literal one of the words used. Don't translate word by word.

And yeah, Spain is quite lax with profanity, AND this one line technically has no profanity. Just a hint of profanity that everybody will get.
So it's kinda like someone saying "son of a-"?

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
my favorite thing about both Unova games is that the credits roll when Darumaka hits level 35

because literally almost nothing in the games can stand up to Sheer Force Darmanitan
History repeats with Galar games and Galarian Darumaka once one finds an Ice Stone.

Because almost nothing in the games can stand up to Gorilla Tactics Galarian Darmanitan.

1705263319201.jpeg
1705263311884.jpeg

I love how these cards depict Dialga and Palkia's domains of time and space. Dialga is floating in a void where all the phases of the moon and a time lapse of stars are existing all at once, as if Dialga is existing in all points of time simultaneously. Meanwhile, Palkia living in a fucked up M. C. Escher world is the perfect way to visually communicate what kind of "space" Palkia actually reigns over.

Spanish person here. In one hand, Caitlin does almost swear in Spanish BW2. In the other hand, her words are literally "can you go to" as in go to shit, because shit isn't a overly strong word in Spain. And now you know.
Non-spaniard spanish speaking person here
why yes, shit is a strong word in most of Latin America
yes is completely out of place in a non R-17 game
no Latin America doesn't get their own translation

cause brown people aren't actually human so they don't deserve some basic decency
:D <---- sarcasm btw

Fuck you Europe and Honorary Europe (a.k.a the anglosphere) <---- definitely not sarcasm btw

Last edited:
Bro WTF Gamefreak decides wether or not the games get a translation. There is no translation for austria, Africa, any dialect of chinese and any arab translation and I Don't think it's either discrimination nor western countries' fault. For example: Canadian french is different, yet there is only one french. Is that racism for canada? I doubt it. Would latin america translation be very VERY similar to base spanish? Probably. Is not including Angola's portugese Racism? I doubt it, it's just not THAT relevant. I wouldnt either call it "basic decency" because BW/2 Wasn't translated At all in chinese but they're very much human.

View attachment 592504View attachment 592503

I love how these cards depict Dialga and Palkia's domains of time and space. Dialga is floating in a void where all the phases of the moon and a time lapse of stars are existing all at once, as if Dialga is existing in all points of time simultaneously. Meanwhile, Palkia living in a fucked up M. C. Escher world is the perfect way to visually communicate what kind of "space" Palkia actually reigns over.
On a similar note, I don’t really play Pokémon GO anymore, but I saw the update post on Serebii for the Sinnoh Global Tour event which described the new benefits that they gave to Dialga and Palkia:

“Dialga if it has Roar of Time has an Adventure Effect that can pause the timer for Incense, Daily Adventure Incense, Lucky Eggs and Star Pieces for 6 minute increments. They will update in increments of two hours and you can boost up to 24 hours. If Palkia has Spacial Rend, its Adventure Effect will distort space for 10 minutes and allows for you to encounter wild Pokémon at a longer distance for 10 minutes, and can be extended in increments of 10 minutes, again up to 24 hours.”

I thought that was a pretty cool way to actually express their control over time and space within the game mechanics. (I wish the main games had figured out some way to do that.)

Honestly, I really enjoy watching my friends get into Pokemon and having their own experiences with the series. A few have no idea about competitive so they're just going through the game with a special kind of bliss I can't really get anymore ever since I started to learn about everything. Seeing them get excited watching the small animations their mons do is a nice feeling

Bro WTF Gamefreak decides wether or not the games get a translation. There is no translation for austria, Africa, any dialect of chinese and any arab translation and I Don't think it's either discrimination nor western countries' fault. For example: Canadian french is different, yet there is only one french. Is that racism for canada? I doubt it. Would latin america translation be very VERY similar to base spanish? Probably. Is not including Angola's portugese Racism? I doubt it, it's just not THAT relevant. I wouldnt either call it "basic decency" because BW/2 Wasn't translated At all in chinese but they're very much human.
The spanish translation is so bad that the honest to goodness actors for the Latin American cartoon complained about it
(yes, the Pokemon cartoon has an official Latin American version separate from the Spaniard one; why don't the games have one too? guess)
people have complained about the games' spaniard-only translation for years
What have Gamefreak and the Pokemon company done about it? two things:
1-Fuck
and
2-All

So to you and to anyone that makes excuses for companies to ignore millions of people who oh-so-happen to not be European or Anglophones:

With all due respect, there's not really much of a comparison between Quebec not getting a distinct translation from France (not totally sure on this but I don't think French is common as a primary language in Canada outside of that province) and Central/South America not getting a separate translation from Spain, with the latter encompassing almost an entire continent's worth of people (and a good third of another).

That said, I don't see any particular issue with the Caitlin line in question, mostly because nothing explicit is actually said, just suggested. I can't think of any Pokémon-specific instances of something like that in English, but the basic premise of a profane phrase being cut off before it gets to the offensive part is something that's used with decent frequency in other children's media in English.

Even if Caitlin is known to lose her temper, I think. expressing that by cussing the main character out feels a little out-of-character, though.

This is actually the issue: it wouldn't.

I have enjoyed SV's dialogues a lot because it's clear the people behind it are having fun. There are a lot of easter eggs, memes, references and puns -some names are funny, specially Snacksworth's, trough I have always been annoyed by some rather random changes in that aspect- that as a spaniard I find hilarious, and they are surprisingly up to date -shotout to Iono in Masters- compared to other games. In that sense, they are doing their job wonderfully. But when there is only a single Spanish version, that becomes a problem.

There are a lot of cultural differences that change what is acceptable in Spain but not in Latin America and the opposite. For example, on XY a Team Flare's grunt infamously says "me importa un pito". That's not a big deal here, it's just "I don't care at all". In Latin America, where that sentence isn't used, prople instead read it literally, and "pito" is one of the terms for d*ck. And when the translation of the games is so heavily oriented towards Spain, a lot of similar instances appear.

So while I have a blast with the current translation, I don't see how asking for another one is not justified. The usage of the language is so different that it's annoying Pokemon of all media doesn't give it the attention it needs. It's specially odd because, for example, their anime dub is releasing before ours, and the Pecharunt story was similarly dubbed in different ways. But the games themselves are stuck like this.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a social media campaign about this that culminated in TPC actually forming and opening hires for a Latin American translation department for the games? Like yeah it sucks that it even got to this point and couldn't be done before SV released but unless I'm missing something it seems like the issue is resolved for the near future? Or is the aforementioned news considered not good enough, i.e. until something actually comes out of it it's basically the equivalent of just talk?

Mild Epilogue SV spoiler

Nemona training up two Kitakami Pokemon to be battle ready in the span of a day is a nice underspoken character detail for her, and given EXP candy is funnily easy to imagine pulling off from a player perspective.

Also supposedly, every Pokemon besides Nemona's has a Poison Tera Type while the trainer is controlled by Pecharunt, which is a funny detail if true

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)