(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

It annoys me that there are a load of old legendaries coming back. They've always felt shoehorned in, it takes away from some of their 'majesty', I suppose. "Oh hey, this creature from the beginning of creation nearly destroyed your world? That's neat, here's a nondescript corridor with it sitting at the end. Don't spend too long, though, there's still 17 others to get through!"

It annoys me also that they can Dynamax. Especially since the Galar ones can't.

It annoys me that there are a load of old legendaries coming back. They've always felt shoehorned in, it takes away from some of their 'majesty', I suppose. "Oh hey, this creature from the beginning of creation nearly destroyed your world? That's neat, here's a nondescript corridor with it sitting at the end. Don't spend too long, though, there's still 17 others to get through!"

It annoys me also that they can Dynamax. Especially since the Galar ones can't.
The Galar ones can, though. (at least Urshifu can) Just... not Zacian, Zamazenta, or Eternatus. But they have signature moves meant to bring down Dynamax Pokemon, and Eternatus in-game is supposed to be the origin of the whole Dynamax phenomenon...

But they've got to make getting the Crown Tundra expansion worthwhile somehow... until the next games come out and they get to do it all again.

I agree on being annoyed at the legendary implementation in USUM & SWSH. I didn't even mind just going down a hallway to grab them (I have rarely ever attributed the ~mythic~ majesty of legend pokemon people have been complaining as lost since gen 3), really, but the method of getting to them was awful. Wormholes were...very obnoxious to navigate, to put it bluntly, and there was so much randomness involved. ANd while we dont have full details of the co-op mode the fact we're going into raid dens with partners does not fill me with glee at the concept of getting any of them.

That said I really liked when they added them in other games. ORAS in particular is my favorite implementation. Sure they're all popped out by Hoopa Rings, but some are in set locations you have to seek out and others are just hidden until you trigger some criteria. That's really fun to me!

I didn't mind the way BW2 added all the legendaries. They all had unique locations and encounter methods. Sure, ORAS had this as well, with different encounter requirements and all, but it just felt like "welp, another ring here".
When encountering a legendary BW2, it felt so much better seing it at the end of the hallway, after all requirements were aquired.

USUM had by far the worst. No creativity at all and it was often based on luck which mon you'd get.

I've nothing against adding a ton of legendaries as end game material, as long as it's fun and feels unique, even if it is just "find this item and take it to that location".

Remember Gens 4-5 had those dialogue where important characters? I missed it when it was removed in Gen 6, only to return in SwSh. I was happy, but there one problem I had with its.

When you use a supereffective move on the first Hop battle, he praises you. It’s fine, there are teaching about type matchups in an animated way. The problem is that he keeps praising you in several upcoming battles for using super effective moves over and over again, and since you can’t skip the cutscene, it gets really annoying. Not to mention that the game blatantly tells you whether a move is effective or not, so these are not required at all.

The worst offender was in the final battle. After using a super effective move, Leon praises you with another another unskippable cutscene. That’s where I drew the line. I’m in the finals for champion, you really think I don’t know type matchups by now?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The worst offender was in the final battle. After using a super effective move, Leon praises you with another another unskippable cutscene. That’s where I drew the line. I’m in the finals for champion, you really think I don’t know type matchups by now?
Game Freak is weird like that sometimes. The games can have sections that are legitimately challenging, but even after passing them, you'll find the game still assumes you not to understand anything about what's going on. USUM is definitely the worst of the bunch here. It has some battles that are really difficult, yet when it comes to overworld navigation it holds your hand throughout the whole thing. As if beating Ultra Necrozma is something you can figure out how to do without a problem, but finding the way from Malie City to Mount Hokulani, you must be prevented from getting lost by all means necessary. The road is a straight corridor.

I think this isn't meant to go "hey do you know what a super effective hit is" and more jut for the flavor of it. Hop does it in every single battle, that is not a tutorial especially when its' the last standard battle of the postgame.
Hop will also do similar comments for a critical hit (both for getting hit and doing one himself). It's just meant to be a flavorful itnerjection, the problem, imo, is that it is tied to the most common interaction and Hop doesn't really spice it up.

In contrast none of the other important NPCs bring it up ever, preferring to comment more on the state of the battle.

Then Leon does the same thing is likely meant to be one of those "wow they are a lot alike". He even does similar animations.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I agree on being annoyed at the legendary implementation in USUM. I didn't even mind just going down a hallway to grab them (I have rarely ever attributed the ~mythic~ majesty of legend pokemon people have been complaining as lost since gen 3), really, but the method of getting to them was awful. Wormholes were...very obnoxious to navigate, to put it bluntly, and there was so much randomness involved.
The Ultra Warp Ride had I feel one too many factors:
  1. Wormhole colors. There was five colors with one strictly for Ultra Beasts and the other four leading to a generic location where all the Legendaries were split between. PROBLEM: Since it was random what colors showed up you could get some runs where you never get the wormhole color you want.
  2. Wormhole levels. Besides colors wormholes would have additional rings and halos around them to show they have a CHANCE for a rarer Pokemon. There were four levels: basic, one halo, two halo, & three halo with aura. Obviously Legendary and Shiny Pokemon are usually encountered in the three halo with aura and sometimes two halo. PROBLEM: Combined with the above problem, even if you see the color you want it may not be the level you need it at (and sometimes you have to settle with a lesser wormhole and hope you get lucky).
  3. Light-years traveled. Legendaries requiring you to travel as far as you could possibly go before getting sucked in or choosing the wormhole you want. PROBLEM: So even if you find the color and level wormhole you want, it could be too early to get the Legendary you're looking for so have to pass it up hoping another will show up later on... which sometimes didn't.
  4. Energy orbs. In order to go further you needed to collect light orbs, however there was also dark orbs which would zap your strength. As you went further on light orbs became much rarer & dark orbs more abundant. PROBLEM: Why are the dark orbs even a thing? Also they like to show up in clusters where you either don't collect as many light orbs you wanted or accidentally get a get dark orbs that cancel out any light orbs you might have managed to get.
  5. Twisting Path. The Ultra Warp Ride wasn't just a straight hallway, it twist and turned and sometimes you'll lose sight of your character or don't know what's coming ahead. PROBLEM: With wormholes and energy orbs placed all about, whenever it gets to a twisty section your likely to either collect dark orbs or enter a wormhole you didn't want to enter.
Were it up to me, I would have kept the colors and light-years traveled but either drop or severely lessen the other three.
Have there only be two wormhole levels: normal & rare (rare either guaranteeing a Legendary or higher chance for a Shiny).
There's only light orbs which appear less and less the further you go.
Keep the path straight, the challenge should only be dodging the wormholes and trying to collect as many light orbs as you can to get as far in as you want.

Of course this doesn't really fix the problem with the Ultra Space worlds being kind of bland.
Now I love the aesthetics of the Ultra Beasts worlds, but many times they're just a straight path. Would have liked for it to have been an actual dungeon and getting to learn more about the environment that the Ultra Beast comes from and how it had made the Ultra Beast adapt to the way it is (also wouldn't hurt to have some normal Pokemon appear to show they're not the only inhabitant of their world, just a unique lifeform within it; some did have some unique people which I wouldn't mind to have seen more of also). And let's not get started on how disappointing Ultra Megalopolis was (an ENTIRE city of people who had to live and adapt in a world without light with their structures reflecting that design... only summed up by a hallway and simple tower).
But getting back to the point, the most boring way of doing the Legendary Hunt is just having the Legendaries appear in the generic Ultra Space worlds. Those locations are fine for normal Pokemon and even the "lesser" Legendaries, but you couldn't give the major Legendaries at least a unique looking location? Mewtwo could be in an abandoned research lab, Ho-Oh & Lugia you have to climb up a Johto-ish tower, Groudon & Heatran inside a volcano, Regigigas in what looks to be Snowpoint Temple, Kyogre & Kyurem in an deep underwater ice cave, Rayquaza on a floating island, Giratina in a Distortion World-looking place, Dialga/Palkia & Zekrom/Reshiram in some kind of celestial metaphysical place, Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde in a destroyed castle covered in overgrowth, etc..

While ORAS had its own problems at least the Legendary Hunt felt like, you know, a hunt. You had to either think "where would this Legendary actually be if placed in Hoenn" or just stumble across it while exploring around and soaring through the sky looking for mirage islands (or a distortion in the sky).

When you use a supereffective move on the first Hop battle, he praises you. It’s fine, there are teaching about type matchups in an animated way. The problem is that he keeps praising you in several upcoming battles for using super effective moves over and over again, and since you can’t skip the cutscene, it gets really annoying. Not to mention that the game blatantly tells you whether a move is effective or not, so these are not required at all.

Yeah, Hop doing it after the first time felt dumb. Like, yeah Hop, I showed you I knew about Type advantage last time we battled, do you think I'm stupid and would forget? And instead of doing that they could have maybe showed us more and more how Hop was getting disillusioned via other triggers (knocking out his Pokemon, sending out his last Pokemon; would likely be different for each battle).

That said I didn't mind when Leon did it cause, if you watch the way both Hop and Leon battle, you'll see Hop was emulating Leon this entire time including his battle banter. A little character moment without having the actual character in it, you see how badly Hop wanted to be like Leon he copied his mannerisms. Makes me think maybe knocking Hop out of the Champion Cup was a good thing as he can find his own path... even though his secret League Card still has him mimicking her brother's secret League Card (yes, I know they're doing Leon's Charizard sign, but Hop chose the exact same background and border pattern (though the pattern color is at least different)).

Edit: Shedinja'd but I'll keep what I wrote anyway.

When you are going for a competitive shiny before SS and get the wrong nature.
And it took them until SS to finally let you fix the issue.

Actually, let's talk about that. Before it felt like they didn't want you changing the Pokemon's Nature because, well, that's like changing someone's personality which would be bad. However they knew Natures locking your Pokemon with certain stat changes was an issue but chose not to do anything about it until SS. So how did they get around this complicated issue? Did they try to dance around the topic by maybe saying your sending your Pokemon to acting school? No, just feed your Pokemon this mint candy and it'll change the stat mods. Really? REALLY?! That's how you're doing it? You refused to address the issue for generations because you didn't like the idea of changing a Pokemon's personality... to only then go "oh yeah we can just change the stat mods without touching the personality".

The Ultra Warp Ride had I feel one too many factors:
  1. Wormhole colors. There was five colors with one strictly for Ultra Beasts and the other four leading to a generic location where all the Legendaries were split between. PROBLEM: Since it was random what colors showed up you could get some runs where you never get the wormhole color you want.
  2. Wormhole levels. Besides colors wormholes would have additional rings and halos around them to show they have a CHANCE for a rarer Pokemon. There were four levels: basic, one halo, two halo, & three halo with aura. Obviously Legendary and Shiny Pokemon are usually encountered in the three halo with aura and sometimes two halo. PROBLEM: Combined with the above problem, even if you see the color you want it may not be the level you need it at (and sometimes you have to settle with a lesser wormhole and hope you get lucky).
  3. Light-years traveled. Legendaries requiring you to travel as far as you could possibly go before getting sucked in or choosing the wormhole you want. PROBLEM: So even if you find the color and level wormhole you want, it could be too early to get the Legendary you're looking for so have to pass it up hoping another will show up later on... which sometimes didn't.
  4. Energy orbs. In order to go further you needed to collect light orbs, however there was also dark orbs which would zap your strength. As you went further on light orbs became much rarer & dark orbs more abundant. PROBLEM: Why are the dark orbs even a thing? Also they like to show up in clusters where you either don't collect as many light orbs you wanted or accidentally get a get dark orbs that cancel out any light orbs you might have managed to get.
  5. Twisting Path. The Ultra Warp Ride wasn't just a straight hallway, it twist and turned and sometimes you'll lose sight of your character or don't know what's coming ahead. PROBLEM: With wormholes and energy orbs placed all about, whenever it gets to a twisty section your likely to either collect dark orbs or enter a wormhole you didn't want to enter.
Were it up to me, I would have kept the colors and light-years traveled but either drop or severely lessen the other three.
Have there only be two wormhole levels: normal & rare (rare either guaranteeing a Legendary or higher chance for a Shiny).
There's only light orbs which appear less and less the further you go.
Keep the path straight, the challenge should only be dodging the wormholes and trying to collect as many light orbs as you can to get as far in as you want.

Of course this doesn't really fix the problem with the Ultra Space worlds being kind of bland.
Now I love the aesthetics of the Ultra Beasts worlds, but many times they're just a straight path. Would have liked for it to have been an actual dungeon and getting to learn more about the environment that the Ultra Beast comes from and how it had made the Ultra Beast adapt to the way it is (also wouldn't hurt to have some normal Pokemon appear to show they're not the only inhabitant of their world, just a unique lifeform within it; some did have some unique people which I wouldn't mind to have seen more of also). And let's not get started on how disappointing Ultra Megalopolis was (an ENTIRE city of people who had to live and adapt in a world without light with their structures reflecting that design... only summed up by a hallway and simple tower).
But getting back to the point, the most boring way of doing the Legendary Hunt is just having the Legendaries appear in the generic Ultra Space worlds. Those locations are fine for normal Pokemon and even the "lesser" Legendaries, but you couldn't give the major Legendaries at least a unique looking location? Mewtwo could be in an abandoned research lab, Ho-Oh & Lugia you have to climb up a Johto-ish tower, Groudon & Heatran inside a volcano, Regigigas in what looks to be Snowpoint Temple, Kyogre & Kyurem in an deep underwater ice cave, Rayquaza on a floating island, Giratina in a Distortion World-looking place, Dialga/Palkia & Zekrom/Reshiram in some kind of celestial metaphysical place, Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde in a destroyed castle covered in overgrowth, etc..

While ORAS had its own problems at least the Legendary Hunt felt like, you know, a hunt. You had to either think "where would this Legendary actually be if placed in Hoenn" or just stumble across it while exploring around and soaring through the sky looking for mirage islands (or a distortion in the sky).

Yeah, Hop doing it after the first time felt dumb. Like, yeah Hop, I showed you I knew about Type advantage last time we battled, do you think I'm stupid and would forget? And instead of doing that they could have maybe showed us more and more how Hop was getting disillusioned via other triggers (knocking out his Pokemon, sending out his last Pokemon; would likely be different for each battle).

That said I didn't mind when Leon did it cause, if you watch the way both Hop and Leon battle, you'll see Hop was emulating Leon this entire time including his battle banter. A little character moment without having the actual character in it, you see how badly Hop wanted to be like Leon he copied his mannerisms. Makes me think maybe knocking Hop out of the Champion Cup was a good thing as he can find his own path... even though his secret League Card still has him mimicking her brother's secret League Card (yes, I know they're doing Leon's Charizard sign, but Hop chose the exact same background and border pattern (though the pattern color is at least different)).

Edit: Shedinja'd but I'll keep what I wrote anyway.

And it took them until SS to finally let you fix the issue.

Actually, let's talk about that. Before it felt like they didn't want you changing the Pokemon's Nature because, well, that's like changing someone's personality which would be bad. However they knew Natures locking your Pokemon with certain stat changes was an issue but chose not to do anything about it until SS. So how did they get around this complicated issue? Did they try to dance around the topic by maybe saying your sending your Pokemon to acting school? No, just feed your Pokemon this mint candy and it'll change the stat mods. Really? REALLY?! That's how you're doing it? You refused to address the issue for generations because you didn't like the idea of changing a Pokemon's personality... to only then go "oh yeah we can just change the stat mods without touching the personality".
They must have gotten the idea after Hyper Training, that thing you do to make a Pokemon's IVs act flawless without actually making them flawless.

With Home being out, I've naturally gone back as far as XY to move most of my Pokemon from Bank to Home... and I was just reminded how much I hate Let's Go.

I had sent some of my Pokemon from Go to Let's Go, partly because I wanted Meltan when it came out, but also because I wanted to complete my Pokedex and I absolutely despise the mechanics of Let's Go. It never made any sense to me why you had to recapture Pokemon in Go Park when they're already yours to begin with. To reset some stats (speed), maybe? Okay fine, but why can't they be guaranteed captures? Instead, you have to capture them the same way as you would any wild Pokemon with the absolute garbage mechanics and garbage catch rates.

Oh, and having moved everything to Home, I just realized I'm missing a lot of entries, which means I have to go back to XY/ORAS/USUM to catch/breed Pokemon while Bank is still free...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Oh, and having moved everything to Home, I just realized I'm missing a lot of entries, which means I have to go back to XY/ORAS/USUM to catch/breed Pokemon while Bank is still free...
Wait, what? It's not just a fun bonus thing they have the past dex entries available, you have to have a Pokemon from those specific games submitted into HOME to get those entries? Sweet Arceus, HOME is sounding dumber and dumber each passing moment.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
No, that's not the case. Kanburi's just getting them from those games.
Oh, derp, by entries I thought he meant Pokedex entries not the actual Pokemon.

Oh, OH NO, that means you have to have a Cosmog (and Cosmoem, though I suppose you can evolve the Cosmog after having registered it)!

Oh, derp, by entries I thought he meant Pokedex entries not the actual Pokemon.

Oh, OH NO, that means you have to have a Cosmog (and Cosmoem, though I suppose you can evolve the Cosmog after having registered it)!
Cosmog, Cosmoem, Type Null & Poipole are definitely the major banes of going for a living dex.

Thankfully I was able to get a Poipole off GTS and having gotten Sun, Moon & Ultra Sun I now have a spare cosmog & Type Null floating around

Cosmog, Cosmoem, Type Null & Poipole are definitely the major banes of going for a living dex.

Thankfully I was able to get a Poipole off GTS and having gotten Sun, Moon & Ultra Sun I now have a spare cosmog & Type Null floating around
I honestly didn't find them to be too much trouble. The real issue is mythicals...

I honestly didn't find them to be too much trouble. The real issue is mythicals...
I have a ton of spare mythics floating around, it's a perk of playing the series since it began and almost always having multiple copies of games.

Except Meltan & Melmetal, because I Don't have Let's Go. And while Go can give me a Meltan through special research it is....quite lengthy to do so, and evolving one without Let's Go is impossible more or less. And they're barred from GTS on home so that.s......great....

Aren’t mythicals not required for the national Dex?
For national dex rewards, correct. But if someone wants a full living dex for their collection, it can become a problem.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm generally a pretty chill guy. Outside of blatantly harmful ideologies, there are very few things that elicit a feeling of visceral hatred from me.

Watchog is one of those things.

Everything about Watchog is deeply unsettling to me. Its colors fall in the uncanny valley between realistically subdued and fantastically wild. Its body, and especially its tail, are unnaturally stiff. Its eyes are demonic and mad for no discernible reason, yet they're in stark contrast with its reservedly crossed arms. It looks like a robot butler with a homicidal streak.

Except Meltan & Melmetal, because I Don't have Let's Go. And while Go can give me a Meltan through special research it is....quite lengthy to do so, and evolving one without Let's Go is impossible more or less. And they're barred from GTS on home so that.s......great....
The fact that Meltan is barred from GTS alone sounds very suspicious to me. I mean, sure, if one has LGPE, one can generate like 20 of them in GO for each 3 days, which is quite a lot, but this is as if they are pushing people to get LGPE, otherwise they're SoL.

Just when I thought GF/TPC/whatever was kind enough to back down with half-price DLC instead of another full-price rerelease of the same thing.

... oh, and I don't know anything happening there now. Can Meltan evolve there in SwSh? Or is that only reserved for GO? Since if it is the latter then... I hope you enjoy waiting, depending on whether you have LGPE or not. (For a note, you need 400 candies to evolve a single Meltan. That can be few Mystery Box openings, or that can be 2000 km worth of walking with Meltan buddy in GO or more; I forgot Meltan's buddy distance is 5km or legendary 20km)

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
The fact that Meltan is barred from GTS alone sounds very suspicious to me. I mean, sure, if one has LGPE, one can generate like 20 of them in GO for each 3 days, which is quite a lot, but this is as if they are pushing people to get LGPE, otherwise they're SoL.

Just when I thought GF/TPC/whatever was kind enough to back down with half-price DLC instead of another full-price rerelease of the same thing.

... oh, and I don't know anything happening there now. Can Meltan evolve there in SwSh? Or is that only reserved for GO? Since if it is the latter then... I hope you enjoy waiting, depending on whether you have LGPE or not. (For a note, you need 400 candies to evolve a single Meltan. That can be few Mystery Box openings, or that can be 2000 km worth of walking with Meltan buddy in GO or more; I forgot Meltan's buddy distance is 5km or legendary 20km)
It's 20km for meltan

They're banned cause they're classified as Mythicals (other mythicals are as well).
They're also obviously not allowed in VGC.

Nothing suspicious and no conspiracy to get everyone to buy Let's Go at work.

On that note, remember that tecnically Melmetal has a G-max form (which was even viewable in Home until they quickly patched that out the day after), so there's a high chance it gets released somewhere in SwSh via event.

They're banned cause they're classified as Mythicals (other mythicals are as well).
They're also obviously not allowed in VGC.

Nothing suspicious and no conspiracy to get everyone to buy Let's Go at work.

On that note, remember that tecnically Melmetal has a G-max form (which was even viewable in Home until they quickly patched that out the day after), so there's a high chance it gets released somewhere in SwSh via event.
Meltan line being special kind of Mythical working outside its restrictions in GO kinda makes me forget that it is a mythical. It is allowed to defend gyms unlike legendaries and mythicals in GO and it is obtained in such a different way than most mythicals which are essentially events. Like, 20 of them per box usage.

At least there's some hope it is. I imagine that would be much more viable way, skipping the GO meltan candy gathering at once (quickest is 3-4 times of using Mystery Box, each yielding 120 candies with help of berries at most). That also helps main series people who detests GO.

That also helps main series people who detests GO.
Or people who would play GO but are too lazy to walk *raises hand*

Considering how much easier Meltan and Melmetal are to obtain compared to other Mythicals (not called Magearna), they should have an exception for the GTS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 21)