(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Focus Energy / Laser Focus, Focus Punch, Focus Blast, and Inner Focus have nothing to do with each other.
You got me curious, so I looked it up, and...

Focus Energy, Focus Punch, and Focus Blast all have "Kiai" in their Japanese names. Not related in function, but certainly in concept.

Side note, Focus Energy is "Kiai Dame" while Focus Blast is "Kiai Dama." Kind of reminds me of how close "Water Sport" and "Water Spout" are in English, but how drastically different in use and helpfulness they are.

Is there any explanation why paradox pokemon are so strong? I think it's a little weird that for example flutter mane (ancient misdrevus) is much stronger than its evolution mismagius.

Is there any explanation why paradox pokemon are so strong? I think it's a little weird that for example flutter mane (ancient misdrevus) is much stronger than its evolution mismagius.
The implication currently is that these pokemon aren't actually real "past" or "future" forms, but rather are imaginary Pokemon that have been given life somehow. (Potentially by Heat's expedition of which we know very little)

Being imaginary entities, potentially created out of fear or terror, it does actually make sense that they're both (mostly) aggressive and very strong.

One very small nitpick I have is that I feel like, completely independent of the quality of the games themselves, the names of the mainline games have been getting a bit weaker in recent years.

"Scarlet & Violet" are okay names but they feel a bit too "fangame-y" if that makes sense. It's made better by the colors themselves having a better integration on the games, but I still feel like they could've picked slightly more interesting names. "Sun & Moon" just feels a bit too on-the-nose considering what the games are themed after, and "Sword & Shield" even more so.

I dunno, it's just a bit of a downgrade compared to how cool name ideas were in some of the previous gens. For instance, "Black & White" relates to the games having bigger themes of duality/contrast, while "X & Y" relates to the games having themes of connections. Y'know, like horizontal and vertical lines intersecting.

This isn't a big deal at all, I still like all of those games and it's not like the names make them any worse. But y'know, this is a thread for nitpicks so here we are FSGFHFJDJ

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
One very small nitpick I have is that I feel like, completely independent of the quality of the games themselves, the names of the mainline games have been getting a bit weaker in recent years.

"Scarlet & Violet" are okay names but they feel a bit too "fangame-y" if that makes sense. It's made better by the colors themselves having a better integration on the games, but I still feel like they could've picked slightly more interesting names. "Sun & Moon" just feels a bit too on-the-nose considering what the games are themed after, and "Sword & Shield" even more so.

I dunno, it's just a bit of a downgrade compared to how cool name ideas were in some of the previous gens. For instance, "Black & White" relates to the games having bigger themes of duality/contrast, while "X & Y" relates to the games having themes of connections. Y'know, like horizontal and vertical lines intersecting.

This isn't a big deal at all, I still like all of those games and it's not like the names make them any worse. But y'know, this is a thread for nitpicks so here we are FSGFHFJDJ
It really makes you wonder where's left to go. I remember getting a bit of flak on the Bulbagarden forums for expressing an opinion that the Gen V games might end up being called Black&White (this was in 2009) because "no, don't be stupid, the games have left simple colour titles behind" - have they, indeed. People talk about silly-sounding ideas like Pokemon Up and Down, Day and Night, Left and Right... and yeah those all might sound a little implausible now, but I have a feeling that if you'd suggested "Sword and Shield" as game titles back in 2006 you'd have had a bunch of responses telling you how stupid you were for even considering them (and how different were Sun and Moon from Day and Night, really?)

I think as long as you can justify how the titles work in relation to whatever overall "theme" the games are going for, I don't really care what the games are called (side note, I've always thought Pokemon Tin and Brass would be incredible names for a Johto remake/sequel/prequel, yes I know it's Bell Tower in the original Japanese). Like, I never really got how X&Y relate to the story of Kalos beyond a vague notion of "we're all connected" - the often-quoted justification Masuda and Iwata gave could, in my opinion, just as easily apply to any other game in the series:
1688639886140.png

But I also think that X&Y makes for a strong title on its own merit, and worked on the basis of those games being the first true 3D handhelds. So... sure. I do think it's dumb that the first games in the series not to use a colour divide still insist on skewing blue/red... but that's a branding/marketing choice so doesn't bug me all that much.

Going back to ScVi in particular, they're opposites in colour terms, sure... there's a motif of light and fruit in the games, mmkay... they have a past/future divide... which is sort of what Black&White did, though as part of a greater dichotomy. What other dualities are left to explore? Black&White also did the whole natural/technology and rural/urban dichotomy pretty well.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While studying the original Gen 1 games and their incredibly fascinating game design, the discovery of Pikachu originally being part of a three-stage line and Raichu intended to evolve further into Gorochu is one that really kinda stings the more I think about it.

This thing was supposed to be the final evolution of Pikachu, and it was supposedly cool-looking with fangs and looked like a thunder god. While a lot of Pokemon were cut from Gen 1 for space and "game balance" reasons", including Gorochu, I feel like Gorochu really was something that feels like it was supposed to be there to fit an overall throughline the rest of the three-stage lines fit, but its removal by the game designers makes several things in Gen 1 more jarring.

Pikachu was designed by the Atsuko Nishida, who also designed Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle, the original starters. It's not a starter like them, but it clearly had a similar design throughline being kept in it, with Pikachu being cute like the first stage Kanto starters, and progressing into a final form that is big and badass looking: from what little we know of what Gorochu was supposed to be like, it was definitely intended to be a badass looking monster like Venusaur and Charizard (Blastoise too admittedly, but my research had me discover that it wasn't related to Squirtle and Wartortle originally: they had a different final evolution that was used as Squirtle's basis and then it was scrapped and Blastoise was mashed into the line). And the other commonality is that Pikachu embodies one of the "element" types: it's an Electric-type, much like how the three starters had three different elemental types that made them stand out from the other kinds of Pokemon you would encounter early on.

Not only does Gorochu's scrapping kinda sting for Pikachu from a design standpoint but it's *very* apparent in the final product when you realize that Electric turned out to be the only elemental type, and major standalone type in general in Gen 1, that didn't have a token three stage line to represent it. Gorochu originally being a thing implies that Pikachu was really gonna be that: the Electric-type's flagship three-stage line, much like how Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle (the starters) were the flagship three-stage lines of Grass, Fire, and Water-types respectively. Gorochu would've complemented Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise magnificently as early game elemental three-stage Pokemon who represent the four rudimentary elements trope. Three of them being the starters, and Pikachu itself being a rare spawn that's an amazing discovery in the midst of mundane stuff like Rattata and Pidgey.

It stings even more when Gen 2 decided to change it up by giving Pikachu a baby Pre-Evolution in Pichu, turning the line into a three-stage line but now with Raichu itself as the endpoint and Pichu being...extraordinarily weak for a basic stage Pokemon. It's kinda frustrating in the grand scheme of things because Pikachu's mascot status aside, I can understand why Raichu is so neglected publicly besides living in Pikachu's shadow: I actually do kinda like Raichu, but I don't know how to say this...something about it feels very blatantly incomplete. The fact that it was originally going to evolve further is apparent even in Raichu's current design because while Raichu is a fine Pokemon...something about it feels missing. Like somehow even before knowing Gorochu existed, I just do not buy it as a true fully evolved Pokemon and it really does not feel like one. It always felt like something was missing and that it's supposed to lead to something more. That "middle stage syndrome" is still very apparent in Raichu today.

Like, other scrapped Gen 1 lines being shortened doesn't bother me as much because they ended up feeling complete anyway, and the only one that's sorta jarring is Blastoise always having obviously had a dissonance between it being "turtle with cannons" and its pre-evolutions being minogame with fluffy tails, but I can let that slide because it's still largely fine and Blastoise is cool, even if I like it less than the other two. But this one especially irks me a little for quite a few reasons: it's a massive "what could have been" and the fact that Pikachu's line was truncated and then altered in Gen 2 really squandered the full potential it could have reached.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While studying the original Gen 1 games and their incredibly fascinating game design, the discovery of Pikachu originally being part of a three-stage line and Raichu intended to evolve further into Gorochu is one that really kinda stings the more I think about it.

This thing was supposed to be the final evolution of Pikachu, and it was supposedly cool-looking with fangs and looked like a thunder god. While a lot of Pokemon were cut from Gen 1 for space and "game balance" reasons", including Gorochu, I feel like Gorochu really was something that feels like it was supposed to be there to fit an overall throughline the rest of the three-stage lines fit, but its removal by the game designers makes several things in Gen 1 more jarring.

Pikachu was designed by the Atsuko Nishida, who also designed Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle, the original starters. It's not a starter like them, but it clearly had a similar design throughline being kept in it, with Pikachu being cute like the first stage Kanto starters, and progressing into a final form that is big and badass looking: from what little we know of what Gorochu was supposed to be like, it was definitely intended to be a badass looking monster like Venusaur and Charizard (Blastoise too admittedly, but my research had me discover that it wasn't related to Squirtle and Wartortle originally: they had a different final evolution that was used as Squirtle's basis and then it was scrapped and Blastoise was mashed into the line). And the other commonality is that Pikachu embodies one of the "element" types: it's an Electric-type, much like how the three starters had three different elemental types that made them stand out from the other kinds of Pokemon you would encounter early on.

Not only does Gorochu's scrapping kinda sting for Pikachu from a design standpoint but it's *very* apparent in the final product when you realize that Electric turned out to be the only elemental type, and major standalone type in general in Gen 1, that didn't have a token three stage line to represent it. Gorochu originally being a thing implies that Pikachu was really gonna be that: the Electric-type's flagship three-stage line, much like how Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle (the starters) were the flagship three-stage lines of Grass, Fire, and Water-types respectively. Gorochu would've complemented Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise magnificently as early game elemental three-stage Pokemon who represent the four rudimentary elements trope. Three of them being the starters, and Pikachu itself being a rare spawn that's an amazing discovery in the midst of mundane stuff like Rattata and Pidgey.

It stings even more when Gen 2 decided to change it up by giving Pikachu a baby Pre-Evolution in Pichu, turning the line into a three-stage line but now with Raichu itself as the endpoint and Pichu being...extraordinarily weak for a basic stage Pokemon. It's kinda frustrating in the grand scheme of things because Pikachu's mascot status aside, I can understand why Raichu is so neglected publicly besides living in Pikachu's shadow: I actually do kinda like Raichu, but I don't know how to say this...something about it feels very blatantly incomplete. The fact that it was originally going to evolve further is apparent even in Raichu's current design because while Raichu is a fine Pokemon...something about it feels missing. Like somehow even before knowing Gorochu existed, I just do not buy it as a true fully evolved Pokemon and it really does not feel like one. It always felt like something was missing and that it's supposed to lead to something more. That "middle stage syndrome" is still very apparent in Raichu today.

Like, other scrapped Gen 1 lines being shortened doesn't bother me as much because they ended up feeling complete anyway, and the only one that's sorta jarring is Blastoise always having obviously had a dissonance between it being "turtle with cannons" and its pre-evolutions being minogame with fluffy tails, but I can let that slide because it's still largely fine and Blastoise is cool, even if I like it less than the other two. But this one especially irks me a little for quite a few reasons: it's a massive "what could have been" and the fact that Pikachu's line was truncated and then altered in Gen 2 really squandered the full potential it could have reached.
Fortunately Alolan Raichu helped revitalize my interest in Raichu, actually competing with Amphy as my favourite Electric mon til Toxtricity showed up.

Castersvarog

formerly Maronmario

I’m surprised they never went back to Gorochu in gen 6 via a Mega Raichu, what with how many call backs to Gen 1 there was. It would have been an excellent choice to get a mega as well, being so terribly outclassed by every other electric type. But I’m guessing it’s because gamefreak couldn’t dare have Pichu and Raichu take Pikachu’s spotlight for even a moment.

I’m surprised they never went back to Gorochu in gen 6 via a Mega Raichu, what with how many call backs to Gen 1 there was.
GF love Gen 1 callbacks, but the thing about callbacks is that they bank on nostalgia. There’s no nostalgia for an unfinished Pokémon concept that 99% of the fan base doesn’t know about, and that the 1% who do only learned about through a random interview.

The state of the Electric type in final is also interesting when taking into account that Fire, Water/Ice, and Electric were first stats at some point in development as typical RPG elements and probably some of the only types they had back then. Gorochu could have been part of one of these more early trios to balance out against the final ones that are mostly lategame before Electric lost some relative importance.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Actually some Paradox Pokemon are weaker, notably the ones which are based off pseudo Legendaries.

Anyway Worldie answered why, though this does make me curious how to the Paradox Pokemon's stat relate to the Pokemon they're based on:
Green - (Mostly) Sticks with original's stat spread.
Red - Changes stat spread from original's.
Blue - Similar to original's stat spread with notable differences.
  • Paradox Donphan:
    Great Tusk
    is pretty much what you'd imagine a stronger Donphan to be: higher HP, Attack, Defense, and Speed; infact it slightly lowers the Special stats to have more points to give around.
    Iron Treads though is a bit of a subversion. It's Attack is slightly lower and HP & Defense is the same. Much the the points instead went into its Speed stat and its Special stats (with Special Attack for some reason getting 2 extra points over Special Defense). While the increased Special Defense is fine, Iron Treads got the short end of the stick with an odd Special Attack increase. It doesn't naturally learn any Special Moves, though it does get a few more Special TMs compared to Great Tusk (mainly Electric-type).... OH, IRON TREAD WAS SUPPOSED TO GET PSYSHOCK NOT GREAT TUSK! Which maybe means Great Tusk was not supposed to get Endure?

• Scream Tail: Does not follow the Jigglypuff family stat spread at all. They have very high HP, okay offense, and bad defense and Speed. Scream Tail is almost the opposite, very good defenses & Speed but comparatively (to Wigglytuff) lower offenses and HP.

• Brute Bonnet: There's some differences but overall I'd say BB is a stronger Amoonguss. The main difference is that Brute Bonnet goes all in on Attack, slightly lowering Special Attack. And while its HP goes down a little, it's far made up for it with better defensive stats. And its Speed also increased to show its more mobile.

• Flutter Mane: Completely plays it by the book. Like you could tack Flutter Mane as an evolution of Mismagius and it would not look out of place at all statwise. Flutter Mane does decrease HP and the physical stats by 5 points each, but that's nothing. If there's any big loss its Flutter Mane not getting Levitate.

• Paradox Volcarona: Note that with Volcarona having a BST of 550, its Paradox forms only have a 20 additional points to work with.
    Slither Wing swaps Volcarona's very high Special Attack Attack and increases Defense; In addition with Special Attack its Speed goes down too; HP and Special Defense aren't touched.
    Iron Wing is the slight improvement on Volcarona, and I say slight because, while Speed and the Special stats go up, HP and Defense goes slightly down... meanwhile its low Attack also is given a small bump. Why? That's the opposite of what they should have done; they should have taken from Attack and added to HP and Defense. Or don't change them, that would work too!

• Sandy Shocks: So, this is a funny case. Sandy Shocks is an improvement on Magneton in every sense, even if it's just by a single point (Special Attack, and Defense is by 2). But compared to Magnezone (and the stats changes between Magnemite to Magneton) its something different. The family has a general focus on the defense stats and Special Attack, but those three stats are lower on Sandy Shocks compared to Magnezone. Instead Sandy Shock increases HP (alright), Attack (which is still lower than its SpA), and Speed (which is the one stat that Magnezone has slightly lower than Magneton). It's definitely a very weird choice.

• Roaring Moon: Our first instance of a lowered BST, though Roaring Moon does have a BST of 590 so it's only by 10 points. Except, Roaring Moon isn't a Paradox version of Salamence, it's a Paradox version of Mega Salamence, which means its BST is 110 points lower. So, what do they do with Roaring Moon? Pretty much, give you the "highs" of Mega Salemence using a slightly lower BST of normal Salamence. They accomplice this by completely gutting Special Attack; one which would Mega Beedrill blush. They increase Roaring Moon's Attack and Speed close to Mega's, though adding its own twist its HP and Special Defense is made higher than either Salamence; though they also needed to take a little bit away from Defense.

• Paradox Cyclizar: Hey, why not?
    If Cyclizar could evolve into its Paradox forms, it would more smoothly transition to Koraidon. Aside from having the same Special Attack, all other stats are increased. Cyclizar is notably an offensive Pokemon, high Speed, good Special Attack with a slightly higher Attack, but only okay HP and defenses (also all of Cyclizar's level-up Moves are Physical). With the 'Raidon their lowest stat is the offense stat they don't use (which is still at an okay 85) while its HP and defenses are higher than it.
    Miriadon would be the special twist alternative some split evos have, its Attack is slightly lower than Cyclizar's but who cares cause its Special Attack is very high and all its other stats are as much improved as with Koraidon.

• Walking Wake: Suicune is defense-focused, Walking Wake is a speedy (Special) Attacker. There stats are so re-arranged you can't quite tell where that extra 10 Walking Wake got went.

• Iron Bundle: So obviously Iron Bundle is an improvement upon Delibird in every stat. Delibird... isn't good. 330 BST, best stat is Speed which is just 75, okay Special Attack, Attack lower, and every else is sad; you could kindly say it's a "speedy mixed attacker"... if it was allowed in Little Cup. Taking that to Iron Bundle, that's not exactly where it went. "Speedy", YES. "Attacker", for SURE. "Mixed", eh, not quite. Yes, like with Delibird Attack is lower than Special Attack, but Iron Bundle's third best stat is actually a high Defense. Special Defense and HP leave much to be desired, but it's based on Delibird, something had to give on it.

• Iron Hands: Very high HP and Attack, okay defensese, low Special Attack and Speed. Iron Hands increases all stats except leaving Speed alone, one major difference is giving a bigger increase to Defense but it still pales in comparison to its HP and Attack.

• Iron Jugulis: The next Paradox with a lower BST than the original, and it's a notable decrease by 30 points. And it shows. Instead of trying to do something crazy with Iron Jugulis like gutting its Attack and giving it to its Special Attack and Speed, they tried to stick close to Hydreigon's stats. HP and Speed are higher (slightly in HP's case), Attack received most of the decreased stat brunt but it still "good", the defenses also took a decrease, and Special Attack was slightly lowered. That increased Speed may be Iron Jugulis only saving grace as its high; it reminds me of the case where people prefer faster normal Garchomp over slower Mega Garchomp.

• Iron Thorns: And the final Paradox with a lower BST, and it too is by 30 points. And it too didn't try doing anything extreme (like trying to have its stat replicate Mega Tyranitar's stats). Iron Thorns is just a Tyranitar with lower Special stats and higher Speed, that's it. And its Speed increase really isn't that notable so overall not much changed except it's an Electric-type robot. "WHICH is a change you've been ignoring; the changing of Types and also different Abilities has a major impact on how these Pokemon are played". Yes, I know, but this was just meant to be a quick look at just how the stats compare and if they keep in line with the original, a purposeful subversion, or they might as well have just been an original Pokemon.

• Iron Valiant: OH BOY. A fusion of Gardevoir and Gallade which its BST is higher than, BUT its also just as much based on their Mega Evolutions which its BST is lower then. BUT, thing is, Gardevoir is a Special Attacker while Gallade is a Physical. The two also have okay HP & Defense, good Speed, and a high Special Defense. Their Mega Evos are a super version of them in that regard, notably a boost to their category-focused stats and Speed. SO, what does Iron Valiant do with this mess? First it guts Special Defense, then its offense stats are both made high identical to normal Gardevoir & Gallade, its Speed is made even higher than their Mega Evos, and finally HP and Defense are increased. I love Iron Valiant. Unlike Roaring Moon which tries to be a weaker specialized Mega Salamence, Iron Valiant does its own thing by both copying the best parts of Gardevoir and Gallade (and their Mega) but also subverting others. The massive decrease to Special Defense could even be compared to it losing its Psychic-type, its Attack and Special Attack staying high because of its Fighting & Fairy-type, its Speed and Defense increased because its a killer robot.

• Iron Leaves: While its stats are different, I don't think it plays that much differently from Virizion unlike Walking Wake is to Suicune. How I can best describe it, it takes a batch of points from Special Defense and adds it to Attack, takes some points for Special Attack and adds it to Defense, and slightly lowered HP and Speed but they're still good. While Virizion's offense stats were the same its movepool leaned Physical (an equal Special Attack stat just meant it could run Giga Drain instead of Leaf Blade along with some other choice Special Moves like Air Slash).

Huh, obviously your opinion and I can see where you're coming from, though I feel they're fine.

I can think one reason why Scarlet & Violet may feel fangame-y because, before SV were announced, they would sound like a fangame title for a Kanto re-imagine: Instead of "Red" I'll use the fancier sounding "Scarlet"; And instead of "Blue", "Green", or "Yellow" I'll use another color so my games stand apart from the others, "Violet"!

Sun & Moon is a popular pairing so it probably feels more cliché than fangamey (as most fangames I know use colors or valuable materials cause nostalgia). Notably Megaman Battle Network and Digimon have used the Sun & Moon theme to released paired games.

Sword & Shield I think just are just a combination that's odd to see used as version titles cause the common thinking would be who'd pick "Shield" over "Sword"? Out of all the paired games this title is probably also the less "influential" on the game as it pretty much strictly refers to the Title Legendaries. Nowhere else does a "sword" and "shield" theme occur, only when its time to fetch the Hero Duo to save the day is when a sword or shield option even come up. At least in Sun & Moon it played with the day & night cycles and at least location names & details change to reflect the version you're playing. Actually, out of all the titles mentioned here, Scarlet & Violet are probably has the most influencing as it effects the school's name and color of the school clothes.

Out of curiosity, do you have alternate suggestions? I'm trying to think of some, but the big issue is that you sort of have to relate it to the Mascot Legendaries.

I’m surprised they never went back to Gorochu in gen 6 via a Mega Raichu, what with how many call backs to Gen 1 there was.
GF love Gen 1 callbacks, but the thing about callbacks is that they bank on nostalgia. There’s no nostalgia for an unfinished Pokémon concept that 99% of the fan base doesn’t know about, and that the 1% who do only learned about through a random interview.
Except a Mega Raichu would have been just as Gen 1 nostaglia callbacking as giving the Starter Final Evos Mega (and Charizard getting two). Heck, I wouldn't have been surprised if they also gave Raichu two Mega Evos just like Charizard and Mewtwo, a Special one which more stays in-line with Pikachu and a Physical one which is an amped up Raichu. While no one knew of Gorochu at the time, people still wanted something special for Raichu as even by Gen VI it's presence was in the shadow of Pikachu. But no, it never got a Mega, and worse Pikachu got a special individual in Cosplay Pikachu who had different forms it can become which gave it a special Move. It did eventually get a Regional Variant, but that only meant the original Raichu had yet another Pokemon's shadow it was now living in (AND Alolan Raichu got a Signature Z-Move... BUT not normal Raichu). And once again Pikachu got variants in the Hat Pikachu, TWO Signature Z-Moves, PLUS a new Pokemon who wanted to be it that developed its own fan following. Then came Let's Go Pikachu (and Eevee), which led to Gigantamax Pikachu (but not Raichu cause it got a Regional Variant).

Before typing all that out I thought a cool idea would have been making a Paradox Pokemon based on Raichu, maybe of future & past pair. But now I realized that would only worsen things as it'll be two other Raichu-likes overshadowing Raichu. Here's hoping something in the future finally gives the spotlight to original Raichu, maybe a permanent alternate form (OOH, I know, Battle Bond Raichu)!

Not sure how popular this idea is, but I consider Pawmot to be the spiritual successor to Gorochu (even if that wasn't the intention of the developers). From what I've seen, most people assume Gorochu was going to be a physically focused Electric- / Fighting-type, which is basically what Pawmot is. Pawmot's status as a Pikaclone also gives it a lot of similarities to Raichu, like its fur color, cheeks, eyes, etc. so it really works out headcannon-wise

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not sure how popular this idea is, but I consider Pawmot to be the spiritual successor to Gorochu (even if that wasn't the intention of the developers). From what I've seen, most people assume Gorochu was going to be a physically focused Electric- / Fighting-type, which is basically what Pawmot is. Pawmot's status as a Pikaclone also gives it a lot of similarities to Raichu, like its fur color, cheeks, eyes, etc. so it really works out headcannon-wise
There's just one problem with that: There is no reason for it to be a 3-stage. Pawmi and Pawmo are almost exactly the same, just one is on all fours and the other is standing up. Just decrease Pawmo's Attack, Special Attack, and Speed by 10 points each, give the the stats to Pawmi, and combine their evo method so Pawmi doesn't evolve too early.

The art of parallel learnsets have been ruined with how the latest generations have been treating learnsets. I will demonstrate with the creation trio.

Pre-SWSH: Look at these well aligned learnsets where everything has a parallel.
1688875094486.png

SWSH: This is completely misaligned now and even all the shared moves aren't even learned at the same time anymore. The signature moves are out of sync too because of SWSH ordering everything by power so Dialga has Roar of Time last but Palkia doesn't. At least it can't get any worse.
1688875077208.png

BDSP: Bulbapedia didn't actually update this section for BDSP, but basically they moved Roar of Time and Spacial Rend down to 40 like DP so they had their signature moves in the first battle again and moved everything else up to compensate. Giratina's Shadow Force was moved to 49 as well so it would barely have it when you fight it at level 70.

PLA: This was actually pretty organized again, though they still misaligned one move with Giratina. I would have just aligned Dragon Claw/Dragon Pulse/Earth Power, put Shadow Claw with Iron Tail/Aqua Tail like it used to be, and then matched Shadow Ball with Flash Cannon and Hydro Pump for it to fully match.

1688875543588.png

SV: We are back to the old bad SWSH learnset, but somehow it got worse because Palkia no longer learns Dragon Claw at level 40, but Dialga still does. Palkia doesn't learn anything else at level 40 now, but it still gets Dragon Claw through TM, so you can relearn it from HOME if you're transferring in from SWSH or BDSP or PLA anyway. What's the point?

1688875565971.png

When the titles of Scarlet and Violet were revealed I thought something like "these names would work better if it was a 'we're going back to our roots' like Pokemon Black and White." But I think there was an interview saying Sun and Moon represented the characters in the game, like how Lillie started off meek (the moon) and became braver over time (the sun).
I also think the English names of characters in the Adventures manga changing from the game titles being their first names to their last names is "preparing" for the names being more out there as there are fewer and fewer options? Though my headcanon was that naming your children after colors, gemstones, etc. is a normal thing in the Adventures universe.

QuentinQuonce

I also think the English names of characters in the Adventures manga changing from the game titles being their first names to their last names is "preparing" for the names being more out there as there are fewer and fewer options? Though my headcanon was that naming your children after colors, gemstones, etc. is a normal thing in the Adventures universe.
Idk it might purely be a translation difficulty. There aren't really equivalent first names that work as evoking Sword and Shield unless you go the route the B2W2 chapter took and call them Sharpe and Thebe or something. They're the only ones that's been the case for, though - everyone else is still Sun, Moon, Black, White, etc.

I'm not sure if they've started the ScVi chapter yet but I don't see why the two leads there wouldn't just be called "Scarlet" and "Violet". They're both what most people think of as female names but then "Ruby" isn't typically a boy's name in modern usage (though there are variants and derivatives like Reuben/Ruben and Ruby is a fairly common nickname for people called that)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There's just one problem with that: There is no reason for it to be a 3-stage. Pawmi and Pawmo are almost exactly the same, just one is on all fours and the other is standing up. Just decrease Pawmo's Attack, Special Attack, and Speed by 10 points each, give the the stats to Pawmi, and combine their evo method so Pawmi doesn't evolve too early.
Pawmot definitely feels like a resurrection of the original concept of Gorochu, being a physically strong Electric-type that is a three-stage final form of an early rodent-like Electric-type, yeah.

Even if it's not Gorochu literally, I would not be surprised at all if they decided to bring the original concept the Pikachu line was going to be with Gorochu in tow and use it for real with the Pawmi line, and that beta concept was the inspiration for the Pawmi family to be designed the way it was.

The sentiment that Pawmi and Pawmo are so similar to each other is really more just the line being very simplistically designed and on the plain side in terms of design and the progression from Pawmi->Pawmo->Pawmot being very simple and not as drastic, but that's really a matter of personal opinion on how the line turned out.

Even if the execution is arguably debatable, Pawmi being the regional "Pikaclone" and actually being a three-stage line like Pikachu was going to be originally definitely, with the endpoint being Pawmot, a more physically oriented and yellow-colored electric rodent that is the endpoint, is a first for Pikaclones in the archetype, and the way Pawmi was implemented as a whole parallels what Pikachu's original gameplay implementation would've been: an early-game three-stage Electric-type that evolves twice and is a reliable Electric-type Pokemon to the end.

Pikachu was originally an early encounter, and likewise, Pawmi in SV is an early route Pokemon who stands out as an Electric-type amidst mundane Normal, Flying, and Bug-types. It evolves twice, even if in an unconventional way, and the endpoint is Pawmot, a strong three-stage Pokemon. It's unique among the Pikaclone archetypes for this, as previous Pikaclones were more based on the current way Pikachu is shown off, being single-stage Pokemon found later in the game with rather average stats at best and in many cases a unique gameplay gimmick.

Pawmi's family on the other hand from a game design standpoint and even in terms of Pawmot's design does draw parallels to how Pikachu's line was originally designed and its original gameplay concept being truly implemented for real in SV with it.

QuentinQuonce

Congrats to Pokemon Adventures for finally realizing they can't, and thus shouldn't, chase every single release as it comes out.
AFAIK they didn't do anything for LGPE or L:A at all (edit: duh and BDSP too); I believe the creator has spoken about having less time to devote to it (iirc he might have been quite ill at one point? Though I might be misremembering that).' I've not kept up with the SwSh chapter beyond glancing at the updates on Serebii Forums every so often but from what I've seen it was quite barebones. Basically just retold the game plot with some small additions.

Last edited:
AFAIK they didn't do anything for LGPE or L:A at all; I believe the creator has spoken about having less time to devote to it (iirc he might have been quite ill at one point? Though I might be misremembering that).' I've not kept up with the SwSh chapter beyond glancing at the updates on Serebii Forums every so often but from what I've seen it was quite barebones. Basically just retold the game plot with some small additions.
Well that illness is sad if so, but even without that it was bound to catch up to them eventually. Even as far back as gen 4 things were really starting to go off the rails. It's probably for the best if it either continues at its own pace or ends.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)