Legality of FRLG moves with DP abilities

In some of the analyses it was mentioned that things like Softboiled Magic Guard Clefable and such may or may not be legal.

If was just wondering if anyone has been able to confirm whether its possible for a pokemon from Pal Park to change its ability to a new DP ability after being imported.

My understanding is that each Pokemon has a value which dictates whether its ability is ability 1 or ability 2 for its specie, and that the ability is only changed when the specie is changed (ie. evolution), so only 50% of Clefairy will become Magic Guard and so on. Or am I totally wrong?

Also this would mean that things like Thunderpunch Breeloom would remain illegal because its already fully evolved right?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
We wouldn't be suggesting these movesets if we hadn't been collecting evidence to prove that it can happen.

IIRC, yes there is a 50% chance that teh ability will change if you've imported a pokemon, but only when you evolve it. Also, the ability it either retains/changes is set once you pal park it. And yes, Thunderpunch Breloom with Poison Heal is illegal. I think this might be better off in the simple question thread, or perhaps the research sticky, just so ya know.

The smogon analysis lists seismic toss and scrappy as being illegal on miltank, even though seismic toss is an egg move in DP.

Well thanks for clearing that up.

That said the Clefable analysis still has no real solid indication of the legality, so maybe someone should update it. OmegaDonut, I'm hardly blaming anyone of being misleading. I'm not so foolish to think that you guys are omniscient and know that you actually have to think to make sets and. Legality of a set isn't something thats partictularly obvious, so it very easy to initially overlook. Thats why IMO all the affected analyses should probalbly be revised to be a bit more self-certain, as at the time of writing they may not have known.

Likewise this should probably be recorded somewhere (research sticky will do) as well its an important piece of info that isn't particularly easy to find.

Your right, about it being legal. Don't know if it's in the analysis. I'm assuming you posted that here in this thread to make a point that the anlysis aren't always right.

Its actually somewhere around 33% I believe, as 1 of approxmiatly every 3 pokemon I transferred changed its ability. Zigzagoon, Numel and Clefairy where all tested.

Your right, about it being legal. Don't know if it's in the analysis. I'm assuming you posted that here in this thread to make a point that the anlysis aren't always right.
Not so much that as that we should try to keep resources updated, so they can be put to best use. Be the best you can as they say. =)

I'm glad to see OmegaDonut has already started to address the issue with the Miltank analysis.

Where does it say that Magic Guard Softboiled Clefable is illegal?
Or Poison Heal Thunderpunch Breloom, for that matter?

... Never mind, I get it.

*Checks serebii dex*
Clefairy can learn Softboiled via tutor in FRLGE and can be transfered to D/P to evolve into a magicguard clefable. Breloom on the other hand must learn Tpunch by emerald tutor and shroomish will not learn it.

Regarding the poison heal thunderpunch Breloom. It is illegal because Breloom would have to have evolved in ADV and move tutor TPunch in. So when Migrated it's ability will not change so you can't get a TPunching Poison Heal Breloom.

Bullshit, let's say you import your Clefable from FR (it has Cute Charm), then it's impossible to get Magic Guard, since Clefable also has Cute Charm as possible ability. Same as trading Rhydon @ Protecter, my Adamant one got Lightning Rod, guess what shitty ability my Rhyperior got? Yes, Lightning Rod. So, in order to get Solid Rock, I have to trade a Rhydon @ Protector with Rock Head, Since Rhyperior can't have that ability, and then I would get Solid Rock.

I mean, if you import your Machoke with Guts from FR and it knows Fissure (don't ask me how he learns it), then do you really think that if I would trade him, he would get No Guard? An ability that makes sure Machamp's moves have 100% accuracy, so you would get a Fissure that always hits.

Bullshit, let's say you import your Clefable from FR (it has Cute Charm), then it's impossible to get Magic Guard, since Clefable also has Cute Charm as possible ability. Same as trading Rhydon @ Protecter, my Adamant one got Lightning Rod, guess what shitty ability my Rhyperior got? Yes, Lightning Rod. So, in order to get Solid Rock, I have to trade a Rhydon @ Protector with Rock Head, Since Rhyperior can't have that ability, and then I would get Solid Rock.

I mean, if you import your Machoke with Guts from FR and it knows Fissure (don't ask me how he learns it), then do you really think that if I would trade him, he would get No Guard? An ability that makes sure Machamp's moves have 100% accuracy, so you would get a Fissure that always hits.
There's a chance that it will get no guard and a chance it won't.

Did you even read this thread?

A Pokemon has a chance to change ability's upon evolution. Just because you got some bad luck doesn't mean it's impossible.

Also, Machoke doesn't learn Fissure in ADV.

Did you even read this thread?

A Pokemon has a chance to change ability's upon evolution. Just because you got some bad luck doesn't mean it's impossible.

Also, Machoke doesn't learn Fissure in ADV.
Sure... Does somebody has a video to prove that?

And did you even read the D/P analyse of Machamp?

Sure... Does somebody has a video to prove that?

And did you even read the D/P analyse of Machamp?
Making a video wouldn't prove anything, seeing as how you can't see the ability of a Pokemon in an Advance game from D/P until you capture it in Pal Park. Not to mention you'd have to evolve it in D/P. With something like Clefable it could be easy though, but seriously, who would go through all that just to prove a point to a few people?

I just read the analysis of Machamp, and he cannot learn Fissure.

Making a video wouldn't prove anything, seeing as how you can't see the ability of a Pokemon in an Advance game from D/P until you capture it in Pal Park. Not to mention you'd have to evolve it in D/P. With something like Clefable it could be easy though, but seriously, who would go through all that just to prove a point to a few people?

I just read the analysis of Machamp, and he cannot learn Fissure.
Thank god...

its all based on the coding within the games. A pokemons ability is based on 2 different numbers 1 and 2. A porygon from advance can only have trace. it dosesnt matter what its abitity number is because its the same ability for both 1 and 2. think of it as it having 2 abilities and there both trace.(every pokemon with only one ability falls in to the sitiuation) If your porygon from ADV has its abitity number set to 2 and nows trace when its its evolves in to porygon2/Z it will gain the ability that is programed in to porygon2/Z coding for having the abititly number of 2.

BTW, if a pokemon has an evolution with the same ability then there both set with the same number. Rhyhorn for example, rhyhorn with 1 has lightingrod, rhydon with 1 has lightingrod and a rhyperior with one has lightingrod. rhyhorn with 2 has rock head, rhydon with 2 has rockhead and a rhyperior with 2 has solid rock.

Just to throw it out there, I had an Extremespeed Zigzagoon from Pokémon Box with Pick Up that evolved into a Gluttony Linoone. It is possible and I lucked out. :3

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There has been research on this!

Each pokemon as a PID number that determines their nature/ability/shinyness/IVs(to a certain degree) - if the number is odd it will turn into one ability if the number is even it will be the other.

If the pokemon had one ability in the ADV gen then there's pretty much a chance that it might be the other ability in the second gen and such.

Unless it's hacked or something things or unless something went wrong somewhere things like lightning rod rhydon should not turn into solid rock rhyperiors and such, but things like cute charm cleffa can turn into magic guard clefairy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)