KPOP

wait a minute jumpluff, aren't you a girl?
yea :oh:

i can't be bothered finding good sources but kpop def has a predominant female following

unless you meant me calling brown eyed girls gorgeous :S questioning which has little to do with kpop so i tied it into a kpop context

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
After skimming this thread, I kinda have the impression that since a few years ago, when there was basically no possible way of using the word kpop in a sentence that didnt also involve the word cheesey, they are starting to make some well polished songs.

Of all the stuff mentioned in this thread I bothered to listen to, which isnt all of it, but is quite a bit, brown eyed girls are definitely the best.

Just to clarify the point, it's still cheesey, it's just there are other things you might say about it now.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Lol yeah, I kinda found it weird that a girl was calling females they don't know gorgeous. But yeah, sry for the misunderstanding :P
i kinda find it weird that we keep talking about/focusing on girl groups. i mean, kpop has some cute, gorgeous guys. hecka fine

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i kinda find it weird that we keep talking about/focusing on girl groups. i mean, kpop has some cute, gorgeous guys. hecka fine
...ummm... yeah I guess I'll just keep my comments to myself.

Anyways, I was what do people think about the whole plastic surgery thing in Kpop. I know there's tons of people that bash the industry because of this, but I'm personally fine with it since it makes the girls look more attractive. They probably end up with higher self esteems as well and the companies earn more money. Triple win.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Unbelievable. Not only is this ridiculously misogynistic, it's wrong as fuck. 2NE1 is fierce and flawless beyond your comprehension <3 They also make legit music, plz stop embarrassing yourself :(

CL CL CL <3 oh, god, I've turned into a stan haven't I...
Erm...

They don't make the music. They perform them. There are a bunch of songwriters and Music producers who do it for them. They are talented perforrmers, but that's all.

Anyone who says their music is "one of a kind" or "amazing" is kidding themselves. It's a continual rehash and circlejerk of the same concepts and beats put into a bunch of different songs, with MVs with different dance moves and costumes. However, there are a few songs that do break the mold once in a while, which I definitely respect.

However, SNSD is fucking hot, and I would bang them no problem (except for that ugly one chick).

Edit: on the topic of plastic surgery, they're performers, they have to look good. If you're going to succeed in this industry, well you're going to have to do it.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
...ummm... yeah I guess I'll just keep my comments to myself.
lol i'm just playing with you bro, dont take it to heart. dont let me stop you, go nuts.
also don't mind fatecrashers, there are those on here who post to hurt others and fatecrashers isnt one of them. i know for a Fact that he is a NICE asian boy. A nice, gif crazy, cute drawings loving, cute anime gifs crazy asian boy

I'm not sure why you're getting so pedantic with me about that issue, especially in a thread about kpop, but ok @ Eraddd!!

Also Gee isn't even SNSD's best song, it's just the most popular one; there are plenty of even better songs on their Run Devil Run album.
IA SO MUCH <3 not only do they have catchier upbeat songs than gee but they can really belt out some gorgeous-sounding songs; Forever and Star Star Star never ever get old

anw even if there are rehashes of old music it's clearly because it works, i don't claim to strive for originality or uniqueness in a group's sound (though it certainly is refreshing to hear stuff like BEG or Secret's Starlight Moonlight) and 2NE1 contribute what THEY can to whatever they're given (CL's rapping and Bom's amazing vocals), and that DOES make their songs unique (esp. when they're performed/watched and not just recorded/listened to); a beat being rehashed is really nothing substantial, i enjoy a lot of 2NE1 songs because of how they sound in particular and can't really compare them to other songs i've heard lol

also

Lol yeah, I kinda found it weird that a girl was calling females they don't know gorgeous. But yeah, sry for the misunderstanding :P
is this for real? lmao

girl groups have huge female followings not just bc the music is good but because girls can look up to their favourite idols and appreciate them for their looks and image (when idols are getting plastic surgery and setting poor examples there's an issue but not gonna go into that); these girls get dolled up so much in promos/perfs/photoshoots and it's difficult to not appreciate how gorgeous-looking they are regardless of which sex you are... as for guys i don't mean to sound racist at all but i rarely to never find an asian man attractive

as for guy groups though, i am very partial toward Infinite, they give their all in every single performance and i was so happy when Be Mine won a music show award after they'd been perfing it for so long <333

i found Super Junior to be Super Annoying at first but they've definitely grown on me; Teen Top are terrible but No More Perfume On You is a really catchy song with nice vocals (the lyrical concept is utterly disgusting and unacceptable though), and i've been liking U-KISS's perfs of NEVERLAND despite their producer being a bitch and lashing out at KARA for winning awards... lastly, 2AM grew on me a lot after i saw them perform BANG by AS, hahahaha

Lol, poor Hyoyeon nobody likes you. Sorry.
i like hyoyeon bc she has a lovely personality, they are all wonderful girls and you can see it on their varieties; ia she's the least marketable of the group (i think it's the nose but w/e)

sooyoung fighting!!!

for anyone who hasn't seen this little gem, do so asap

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure why you're getting so pedantic with me about that issue, especially in a thread about kpop, but ok @ Eraddd!!
Sorry, it's just a lot of people I know put Kpop on a pedestal like they're the new Beatles or something.

At Versaille, when asian guys are getting those atrocious haircuts and using eyeliner, its no wonder you don't find them attractive ;)

yeah =( no one's putting kpop idols on a big pedestal hahaha, i just find the market/image/sound preferable to what's being put out in western pop atm (tons of club collaborations with no chorus, just a bass climax/breakdown and Pitbull spouting shit randomly in like half of these songs)

and ia the way they try to market a lot of guy groups is ridiculous, it's difficult for me to appreciate their being overtly effeminate (but kpop is not a masculine thing at all so i guess they just have to have a fitting image?)

the cray cray girls in the fandom seem to absolutely love the whole girly adam lambert look on the guys though

speaking of crazy bitches; 2 yrs old but still fairly fucking disturbing

I don't listen to a whole lot of kpop but then again I probably listen to it more than mainstream North American stuff. Is kpop better? Probably. Is kpop largely soulless, mass-produced crap? Sure. But a quick look at this thread seems to have picked out the good ones so heh...

I like male kpop screw you guys.

Also the first Kpop vid I saw was like 10 years ago of this band called H.O.T. I think. I thought it was hilarious at the time.

Crux

Banned deucer.
Erm...

They don't make the music. They perform them. There are a bunch of songwriters and Music producers who do it for them. They are talented perforrmers, but that's all.

Anyone who says their music is "one of a kind" or "amazing" is kidding themselves. It's a continual rehash and circlejerk of the same concepts and beats put into a bunch of different songs, with MVs with different dance moves and costumes. However, there are a few songs that do break the mold once in a while, which I definitely respect.

However, SNSD is fucking hot, and I would bang them no problem (except for that ugly one chick).

Edit: on the topic of plastic surgery, they're performers, they have to look good. If you're going to succeed in this industry, well you're going to have to do it.
Making music is the performing of it, not the composition. That would be composing music. If someone says, "Let's make some music" they mean let's play something, not let's sit around and write some kpop. I don't see how them not writing their own songs is a problem either, most artists don't as they specialize in performance, not composition.

Also the thing you described in your second paragraph is called a genre. That is why it is classified as kpop, because they take ideas from other groups and mix it into their own music. This happens in all music, I don't see what your problem is here either.

<3 SNSD <3 SNSD <3 SNSD

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
actually, i'd say that most artists compose and perform their own music; just because someone isn't a 'singer/songwriter' doesn't mean they don't compose their own shit.

i'd like to think that there is at least some originality left in the music industry and that not everything is rehashed either.

i'm with eraddd on this one, however, they are performers first and artists second.

Crux

Banned deucer.
What on earth are you on about lol.

1) The majority of artists (which means performer) do not compose their own music, this is a fact. This is also irrelevant and I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me here...

2) I did not say there is no originality, i said people take stuff from other artists for their own songs. There is still originality and artistic license which is why there is appropriation anyway.

3) Performers and Artists are the same thing and are used interchangeably.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1. maybe a lot of major label artists, but the majority of artists are not signed to such labels. i think most small label artists write their own stuff? p off topic though

2. the degree to which kpop rehashes is a fair bit higher than most other genres, not condemning anything though

3. i meant performers more in the sense of an entertainer, they put more effort into their visual appeal more than quite a few other genres (obviously not big pop shows and the like with massive budgets)

we can just agree to disagree

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)