KoA's Scribbles and Sounds

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Hello all, local shambling corpse here. After about a 7 year absence from Smogon due to deciding to do the family thing, I was brought back to one of the fondest spaces of my internet years thanks to CaP's Siren Call. After establishing myself in the Discord server and being brought up to speed a little bit on the goings-on of the site in my absence, I have to say it got me excited to be back into the swing of things a bit! Now then, first and foremost, please excuse the messiness of this thread at first. I have many years of work to attempt to catalogue and make easily accessible without hopefully making a huge clusterfuck of a thread, so it's likely that it will be messy in its first couple iterations.

There's 2 parts to this thread; Art and Music. While I have more of a disposition to standard artwork, I do enjoy the occasional video game remix when I have free moments. If you are expecting anything OCRemix quality, I don't know what to tell you aside from maybe don't expect that lol. I generally have more of a love for music from the Megaman, Sonic, and Pokemon franchises, as well as other random RPG themes.

Art

Anywho! Let's get to the meat of it, eh? Let's start off with the visual art first. I used to be pretty decent at it many years ago, then when I had my kids, I suddenly quit everything cold turkey and focused more on them and work. The process of getting back into it has been a slow one, but I feel as if I'm starting to regain my edge that rusted over. For the sake of not having a bloated monster of a thread, I'll just post thumbnails that link to the full-res versions of the art, since I tend to work at pretty large resolutions.

For the sake of simplicity, I'll just be showing off any art made past 2013, since that's where I left off from Smogon. If you wanna punish yourself and look at the older stuff I did, here's my decade-old art thread with mostly broken links and photobucket-watermarked images.

First one I'd like to share is a piece that is personal to me. It's no surprise CaP is/was a huge part of my Smogon life, and I enjoyed a lot of early success with it with my winning sprites for Syclant, as well as winning both Revenankh's main design and sprites. (Let's ignore the early CaP fuckery though, those processes were so informal that I somehow hold the dubious honor of being the only person ever to lose to himself in an art poll.) Revenankh was a great brainchild for me, because all I wanted was a cool floaty, mummy boi. The initial inspirations for Revenankh's original artwork I submitted were pretty humble. He took obvious cues from Zelda's Gibdos, an enemy that terrified the hell out of me in N64's Ocarina of Time; as well as Street Fighter's Akuma in terms of general physique. It also was a pretty proud piece of work for me, as I credit Revenankh's art as being one of the very first pieces of digital art I've ever colored in. In fact, the original final sub for his artwork was all in black and white as I only just scanned in the physical drawing I made of it. (Remember, not as many rules back then)

That said, Revevnankh was going to be one of the first pieces of art I wanted to retouch and update. I had attempted an update in 2013 once already, but I overcomplicated it and it looked really off. This abomination looked like he was robbing local PokeMarts of all their Proteins and then killing them. I obviously leaned waaaay too hard into the Akuma inspiration there. This new updated form was not only going to pay homage to all his design inspirations, but also attempt to not look like a roided freak in the process. Ladies and Gents, I bequeath to you Revenankh 3.0!

Right away you see the obvious Street Fighter inspiration not only in the form of keeping Rev's original bulky look, but also in the form of two bandages flowing from the back of its head, not unlike a certain Hadouken-slinging fighter. Also wanted to draw attention to the single, menacing eye that was the focal point of the original design, by having it glow and cast a light. I'm whole-heartedly happy with this iteration of Rev, and I love comparing the old pic to the new one, as it shows a lifetime of progress between the two and makes me feel happy that I can still learn new tricks after so long of nothing.

These next couple pics more or less try to carry the same energy I got from doing Rev. The first one is my first Yugioh piece of art I ever did, and it features one of the titular main character Aces; Dark Magician! I borrowed elements from a few iterations of DM from the cards and show, and eventually settled on the color scheme used on his original card printing, but adding some extra flourishes to it, like the lengthy hair sticking out the back. I also added some background bits to make it look like how it would on an actual card.

The second one of the bunch was some Inuyasha fanart I made for my wife. She is a huge fan of the original series, and I saw that there was going to be a sequel series showcasing the kids from the main cast. So to tell her the news, I drew Moroha, Inuyasha and Kagome's daughter, for her. I think it came out ok!

This next trio is probably what I would consider my magnum opus currently. I had originally drawn what I thought a Gmax form for Rayquaza would look like, my take being that it becomes so large, that its body becomes electrically charged to the point where storm clouds have formed on its body. Added in a couple whiskers to resemble Asian depictions of dragons, and lengthened the body to a point where it remains wrapped around a storm cloud. After posting it on Reddit, I was reached out for a commission to do the other two of the trio in Gmax form. Groudon now becomes a molten being of the earth, rising from the molten depths like the magma Kaiju he is. Little changes about his body, aside from that he gains a new earth plate armor on his chest, and he gets lil volcanic wrists. Kyogre gets to lord over his domain in the form of a living tidal sprout, spreading the seas in its wake. Little changes on him as well, except I added stomach stripes along its body reminiscent of baleen whales, to further evoke a massive size.

Moving on from those beefcakes, we have my CaP 28 design. Mr. Rocket-Powered-Turbo-Beetle here Made it to the top 11, but unfortunately I got cute and added too many flourishes to it, causing it to look far more Steel type than necessary. Though he didn't get too far in polling, It's a solid piece of art I feel, and I'm pretty happy with how the iridescence came out on the carapace. Competition was great this time around and I couldn't be more proud of the group of artists I went against. Grats once again to Golurkyourself for winning!

As an aside, here's the older scrapped design I originally worked on, before quitting and moving onto turbo-beetle. It was basically some kind of Wyvern-Wasp.

MUSIC

That'll do it for the digital art for now: I'll try to either update this OP when I get new content added, or just post directly in the thread. either way, here's the section dedicated to my remixes. I'll tuck this section away in spoiler tags just so you don't get blown up by youtube embeds lol.

Megaman Zero 2 - Departure:

Megaman X2 - Flame Stag's Stage:

Undertale - Megalovania:

Thunderforce 4 - Metal Squad:

Megaman X - Storm Eagle's Stage:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Wandering Ghosts:

Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize:

Donkey Kong Country - Gangplank Galleon:

Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals - The Final Fight:

And that's my art thread as it stands right now. This whole thing took me hours to type and I'm exhausted now lol. Feel free to come in, kick your feet up, and hopefully enjoy some tunes and paintin's! I'll be sure to stay active this time and update until I maybe die for real lol.

Have a great one everybody, and thanks for taking a look!

Last edited:

KoA

is an Artist
'Alo, just droppin' off a couple more doodles here. These 2 pieces were commissions brought to me by a user on reddit, and they seemed to be tickled with the results! The first one is a fakemon concept based on a Ghost/Fight type that is a cursed mask. When I think "cursed mask", I think of Noh theatre, so I decided to base the mask itself off of a Hannya. The hardest part was getting the transparency just right to show the main body isn't really physical.

This second one is a Poison/Water type named Chemisail. He wanted a mon based off of the Portuguese Man-o-War, as well as the actual ships the real life creature is based off of. I tried stylizing the poison-filled sac to look like a ship sailing at full mast, even had a row of tentacles going across the bottom of the sac to resemble the wake of a ship sailing. It was tricky trying to design a jellyfish mon that didn't step on the toes of any of our existing ones, but I think this ol' boy is different enough to be unique!

That's it for now, I'll be sure to update as I finish more doodles!

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I never knew you were the one who designed Revenankh! I've seen it and some of the other CAP-mons around, but I've never bothered to look into who came up with their designs. Your update to it is appropriately spooky and stylish; I like the Megaman-esque giant forearms with big fists, the nearly featureless face with just a scowl and the one creepy glowing eye, and the wrappings hanging beneath it. And from your recent post, I really like Chemisail! I appreciate your articulating the inspirations behind its design; I think you succeeded in making a new jellyfish 'mon that feels significantly different enough from those that already exist. I can see how the tentacles were designed to look like a ship's wake, which is really clever.

Your G-Max Hoenn Legends are really cool too! Especially Rayquaza; I love the idea of the storm clouds overtaking its body, and the design sells your idea of it being electrically charged, with the edges of its "fins" (not sure what they would be anatomically called) getting sharper and the ones on its tail turning into lightning bolts.

Your remixes are pretty sweet, too! I can't think of a great way to articulate about them right now and I've made this post long enough already, but trust that they're all nice to listen to, and I'd be down to hear more.

KoA

is an Artist
Why thank ya! Yes, I did take a bit of a design cue from the Megaman series in terms of its forearms. I always liked PharoahMan a lot from the games as my favorite Robot Master, so I figured if he were a Pokémon Trainer, Revenankh would be his "ace".

With that outta the way, here's a couple more doodle-oos. The first is another commissioned Fakemon. This cute lil guy is based off of the rare and adorable Slow Loris, a neat lil primate that is one of the few mammals with a toxic bite, thanks to a special gland on its arms that it licks and mixes with its saliva to make the toxin. The gimmick for this mon is that it's unbelievably slow. So slow in fact that it has an ability that causes it to be completely ignored and unaffected by any Pokémon in a Double Battle until it makes its first move. I emphasized the big eyes, as the real animal has them as one of its biggest and most adorable features, so I wanted to use the eyes to play to the ability a bit too. It's eyes are so large and unassuming, that if it locks eyes with an enemy, they become so captivated that they cant move, allowing this lil guy time to escape.

It's a pure Poison type named Slowris!

Next piece is slightly less nuanced. Jumped on the wagon late for all the "Sephiroth in Smash" hype, but I'm throwing this out there anyway.
Do I apologize for this? No.
Am I glad it happened? Maybe.

Anyway, here's Kirbyroth:

Aaaand that's it for now. Got a couple other things in the works, but nothing tangible yet. Thanks for continuing to give me a look!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)