Gen 3 Jynx (OU Revamp) [QC 0/2]

note -- i wanted to throw something out there just to have something out there. i copied the spreads from my Ludicolo analysis, I'll introduce real spreads in the next week or so. I'll remove this when it's QC ready.
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to her ice typing and high speed stat, Jynx has a unique and powerful lead matchup spread. She beats all Zapdos and neutral nature Salamence, while also threatening out Skarmory without permitting even a single spike. Access to the second most accurate sleep move in the metagame means that, after forcing out an enemy lead, Jynx can keep the onslaught coming with loads of instant pressure. Unfortunately, her lacking offensive movepool and laughable physical bulk means that when Jynx loses a matchup, she loses hard, namely to Tyranitar, Jirachi, and Metagross. However, when paired with her three best friends, Dugtrio, she can turn this weakness into a strength, luring these threats for the troublesome trifecta to dispatch.

[SET]
name: Christmas Comes Early
move 1: Ice Beam
move 2: Lovely Kiss
move 3: Thief/HP Fire
move 4: Taunt/HP Fire
item: Nothing/Lum Berry/Leftovers
ability: Oblivious
nature: Timid
evs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe

Icebeam and lovely kiss form the backbone of this set, allowing Jynx to force out flying types and hopefully sleep one of her foes. Thief allows Jynx to cripple a second target after sleep clause becomes active, making that target easier to pressure and ultimately KO later in the game. Taunt curtails the offensive ambitions of Suicune, blocks healing from the likes of Blissey and Milotic, and of course shuts down Skarmory like nothing else. Finally, HP fire allows Jynx to chip Jirachi and Metagross, potentially enabling a teammate's sweep later in the game.

If using thief, run no item. If not, the choice of leftovers and lum ultimately comes down to preference. Lum is helpful for winning matchups against opposing sleep leads, such as Smeargle or (god forbid) a Jynx mirror, while leftovers gives her added longevity in other matchups.

[SET]
name: Don't Look Under Her Dress
move 3: Perish Song
move 4: Mean Look
item: Lum Berry/Leftovers

Perish song allows Jynx to trap and KO would-be counters such as Blissey and water types, who think that their durability in the face of Jynx's offensive moves means that she can't touch them at all. Her considerable special bulk means that Jynx can often take one or two hits from these targets in the process of trapping them, especially if sleep clause is not yet active. If Jynx traps and kills a sleeping foe, she can refresh sleep clause and sleep again later in the game.

This set is best used alongside Substitute Dugtrio, who can finish off enemies who Jynx has already hit with Perish Song.

Perish song also means that otherwise-threatening setup sweepers such as Curse Snorlax, Agility Metagross, and Calm Mind Suicune will find their upside much diminished if they try to set up on Jynx. By bringing your own sweeper in on the turn that opposing Perish Count runs out, Jynx can force a switch and grant a free turn of setup to her ally.

[SET]
name: Calm Your Tits
move 3: Calm Mind
move 4: Subsitute
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Team Options
========

Jynx teams had better have a plan for lead Tyranitar and Metagross, since Jynx can't beat them on her own. In particular, Dugtrio can potentially trap both of these threats after chip from Jynx. Dugtrio also revenges Jirachi, who can set up on Jynx, and pairs amazingly well with lovely kiss in general since it can trap arbitrary sleeping threats. Jynx and Dugtrio are amazing besties and when you run Jynx you should almost always bring her bff's along.

Jynx teams shouldn't expect her to contribute defensively. At the same time, they need to be able to move quickly to take advantage of the huge tempo swings that Jynx generates. As such, offensive Pokemon that can themselves contribute defensively are Jynx's best partners. Friends like Suicune, Snorlax, and Regice, who can live a few hits but also kill most sleep victims before they wake up, are ya girl's best partners.

Jynx's offensive profile means that she lures steels, so Jynx teams should be sure to pack strong answers to Jirachi and Metagross, the two most threatening offensive steels. On the flip side, normal and rock type attackers such as Snorlax and Aerodactyl would love to see these threats chipped, to enable their own sweep, and Jynx can do this if she opts to run thief or HP fire.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

The final two slots on Jynx's "hitter" set are the two slots that you can actually exchange.

Protect allows Jynx to flummox choice banded pokemon such as Aerodactyl, Salamence, or Metagross who can enter on and force jynx out with relative ease. Fake tears allows Jynx to force switches on enemy Blissey and Snorlax. Reflect, Light Screen, and Wish allow Jynx to aide a set-up sweeper by setting up these conditions and subsequently dying, but because these options require Jynx to survive until the lategame to give good return-on-investment, they suck.

Finally, psychic (move) is usable because it allows Jynx to 1v1 fighting types and OHKO Gengar, but psychic (type) is so bad offensively compared to ice that it's rarely ever worth clicking.

Various spreads -- abr spread, smurf spread, boring spread

Checks and Counters
===================

Starmie is unique in that it not only handles Jynx's ice beams incredibly well, but can also make short work of her kisses with Natural Cure.
Metagross can take all of Jynx's hits and end her life with any of its strong physical moves.
Jirachi can set up calm mind, substitute, and wish after switching into Jynx's ice beam.
Tyranitar can OHKO Jynx and is one of the most common leads. I repeat: forcing Tyranitar to stay in to enable a dug trap is one of Jynx's best features.
Dugtrio. Due to her featherweight defense stats, Jynx can get trapped and eliminated for free by opposing Dugtrio.
Houndoom can shrug off Jynx's kisses with early bird while pursuit trapping Jynx or killing her outright with Fire Blast.
Fat Waters That Resist Ice. I'm talking Suicune and Milotic. She can't hurt them short of a freeze, but you best believe they can hurt her.
Choice Band Salamence is one lead who can outspeed and OHKO Jynx even though she might be tempted to stay in since she beats other Mence variants so hard. Whether you stay in on mence or not simply to play around this relatively rare set is up to you.
Bad Luck -- no matter how good her matchup, Jynx can faceplant pretty hard if she happens to miss her kiss. On the flipside, the fact that she can get ice beam freezes means that good luck is one of her greatest allies. Make no mistake, Jynx is a variance machine. "If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best." -Jynx

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Redless 170393, whoever wrote the old one?]]
- Quality checked by: [[could be you?, ], [your name here?, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[the person reading this?, ], [dearest reader?, ]]

just gonna be posting some bull shit here so i have it for reference:

ABR's spread:
Jynx (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 216 HP / 28 SpA / 76 SpD / 188 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Mean Look
- Perish Song
- Ice Beam
- Lovely Kiss
note that: no spa investment still allows our girl to hand it to ttar (chip it to the point dug can revenge)

abr says
"
This core represents a similar one to the above but for a different type of team. Many jynx sets feature taunt, cm, sub, hp fire, etc. Those are all fine but again mean look + lovely kiss seemed too broken not to abuse here. If you want the safe path vs potential lum leads (tar and meta) then ice beam turn 1 into dug is totally fine. Against other leads (or the aforementioned 2 if you're feeling risky) you can get the sleep trap shenanigans going instantly. Generally you lovely kiss turn 1 and then instantly mean look, as you either trap what's in front of you or trap what switches in alongside dug. The evs outspeed neutral 100s, live 3 stosses from blissey in sand, and avoid the 2hko from timid zapdos.
"
smurf's spread
:jynx:
Jynx (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 120 HP / 200 SpA / 188 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Mean Look
- Perish Song
- Ice Beam
- Lovely Kiss
smurf likes this pairing to chip META to the point dug (adamant, ofc) can revenge. I don't like this, but on certain teams there's no denying it's strong.

what about the "basic bitch" spread? 252/252/4?
is it ever worth running?

important speed tiers for her: 306 speed is timid molt, who she obviously would like to outspeed. 299 speed are the neutral hundo's which are basically mandatory for her to outspeed. she doesn't need to outspeed DOOM on account of the fact she loses anyways (probably?)

i want to mention that lum berry has an extremely good application in 1. easily getting her into ggar and 2. allowing her to tank a slam para from lead mixrachi (which are often slower than her but pack their own lum). ofc it also wastes a turn vs blissey (potentially rly good for the trapper?)

"trapper" jynx traps a blissey timeline:
1. jynx sleeps someone else
2. jynx swings with an ice beam as blissey's fat ass rounds the corner
3. jynx gives bliss the look, gets tossed
4. jynx sings her song, gets tossed (perish count 3)
5. jynx fishes for a freeze, gets it, blissey instantly unfreezes and tosses jynx (perish count 2)
6. jynx fishes for a freeze, doesn't get it. blissey kills jynx with toss. the jynx player clicks dug to trap bliss and immediately switches out, letting blissey toss someone on jynx's team

if you want to keep jynx alive and not have to reveal dug, you can look the other pokemon (that you slept) instead of swinging with beam as when the look hits bliss. this is decent as a lot of the popular sleep sac's in the meta might actually get perish trapped by our girl. of course, if they swap bliss in to take the sleep (most bad players do this) then you just sleep her without having to worry.

I should note "be sure to hit blissey with mean look as she switches in" on the perish trapper set (for which I WILL use the ABR spread) to make the timing work properly.

TODO before I submit this for QC:
1. finish writing the parts I didn't write
2. paste the spreads in (and finalize them)
3. make it conform to the skeleton

im torn as to whether or not i should spam the shit out of jynx on ladder in the next few days in order to better asses her strengths/weaknesses on a variety of teams. in particular I have no (!) experience with the cm set, on account of the fact that I thought it was unviable before I started theorycrafting for this analysis :skull:

edit: hold up, for the low low price of 28 EV's (!) you can sleep timid (and other) moltres before they kill her. worht doing?????????

another edit: 252 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD Jynx: 221-260 (79.2 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage !!!!! potential mix ttar counterpick?????????

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)