SM OU Just got into competitive pokémon, so id like some opinions on my current team!

Leafy (Sceptile-Mega) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Sceptile is my fav pokemon, so i decided to build around him. His main STAB moves are giga drain to heal up a good amount of health, and dragon pulse for anything that giga drain cant cover. Focus blast is for any ice types i encounter, but ill usually switch in to talonflame for that. Substitute is set up when im expecting a switch, which is reliable when im thinking it cant take a hit.

Falco (Talonflame) (M) @ Ganlon Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Natural Gift

Gale wings is extremely good for brave bird, and makes it more reliable to use when the opponent doesnt switch out. Flare blitz, like i said above is to cover any ice types, and natural gift ice covers many types. Swords dance is another move to use when expecting a switch in, raising my already high attack to incredible heights. I have talonflame really as a support to sceptile, as they work well together.

Sears (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

I usually will lead with rotom, as it is my main tank, and with low speed, volt switch will go last, and my switch in wont get hurt. Hydro pump is for any fire or rock types, like tyranitar. will o wisp will set up burns, and pain split is for when i want to heal up on a switch in from the opponent. Rotom is mainly there to see what my opponent will do, and counter it.

Hachiman (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Lando t is great against electric types without levitate, and u turn is for anything i find not in lando's favor. Stone edge is extremely good against flying types like skarmory, so thats always a good thing. Stealth rock is nice against flying types, and with spikes, which ill show off later, does decent chip damage.

Meta (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Defog
- Iron Head
- Roost

Skarmory is less of an attacker than a set up pokemon. Spikes with stealth rock, like i said, does decent chip damage, and defog is there for when i want to take away any hazards on my side. Roost is good when i know i can take a hit, or a switch. Mostly, skarmory is out for setups like i said.

Shadow (Gengar) @ Life Orb
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Icy Wind

Gengar is a good choice against people like alakazam, as shadow ball will usually take it out. Focus blast is for any normal types i go up against, or ice for that matter. Sludge wave and icy wind are more or less for coverage, not really much else i can say there.

And that's my sceptile team! I hope you can give me some constructive criticism about it, and help me improve!

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Could you include reasons why you added this and this Pokemon in your team (I’m looking at you Talonflame)? It helps when suggesting changes to the team :)

737373elj

Banned deucer.
You’re team is kinda bad againts ice types. I know Talonflame has Flare Blitz, but what if the opposer has a rock type. Also, I usually use Excadrill as a hazard setter and a spinner. Imagine spending 4 turns setting up stealth rocks and spikes , for the opposer to set up a layer of spikes, then using defog and getting rid of everything. Excadrill is speedier than skarm and has rapid spin to get rid of hazards without getting rid of all of yours aswell.
Actually Steel and Rock is SE to Ice too, eliminating the threat to the team.

You’re team is kinda bad againts ice types. I know Talonflame has Flare Blitz, but what if the opposer has a rock type. Also, I usually use Excadrill as a hazard setter and a spinner. Imagine spending 4 turns setting up stealth rocks and spikes , for the opposer to set up a layer of spikes, then using defog and getting rid of everything. Excadrill is speedier than skarm and has rapid spin to get rid of hazards without getting rid of all of yours aswell.
I think he’s right Excadrill can be a good choice to replace skarmory, but I would play it assault vest because you don’t have a mon that can take special hits well. And maybe to replace talonflame you could take scarf Victini to still have a good speed control (or band if you prefer).

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Mentions of Ice-types aside (which is certainly an issue for you), this team gets eaten alive by Psychic moves once Skarmory is gone or weakened. Scarf Tapu Lele, for example, outspeeds everything on your team and OHKOs or 2HKOs literally everything besides Skarm, and you can't Brave Bird it with Talonflame because Psychic Terrain prevents priority. Mega Alakazam isn't quite as much of a problem because it doesn't set up the terrain, but it does also outspeed your entire team and chunk everything you can switch in. Relying on Skarm alone for them is not a good idea, especially since these Pokémon are often paired with Magnezone which can trap your Skarm with Magnet Pull and dispose of it with Thunderbolt with no trouble whatsoever.

244 SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 266-314 (79.8 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And speaking of Electric-types, Tapu Koko is also a very problematic Pokémon for this team. It outspeeds everything except Sceptile and your only switchin is Landorus, which can only take a single HP Ice if they hit you with it.

I don't have an end all be all solution for you, but the first thing that comes to mind is to scrap the Talonflame (I'm sorry it's not a good Pokémon anymore) in favor of a Tyranitar. Not only does this remove an Electric weakness from the team (which helps you quite a bit with Koko), but it gives you a Psychic immunity, allowing you to check the problematic Psychic types I mentioned. The only way Lele and Alakazam could effectively damage a Tyranitar is with Focus Blast, which is notorious for missing quite often. This set might serve you pretty well. Assault Vest + the Special Defense boost Rock-types get in sand makes this a relatively safe switchin for a number of special attackers in OU, including the three I mentioned in this paragraph. If you read their actions correctly you can even snag them with Pursuit as they try to switch out, which will completely demolish Alakazam if they try to switch. Of course, with the threat of Focus Blast it's not a perfect answer, but as long as you play around it properly you should be okay.

Oh also, Skarmory doesn't need Speed investment; its only purpose is to take hits. Remove those Speed EVs and put them into a defensive stat.

PsyducksChili

Banned deucer.
I think he’s right Excadrill can be a good choice to replace skarmory, but I would play it assault vest because you don’t have a mon that can take special hits well. And maybe to replace talonflame you could take scarf Victini to still have a good speed control (or band if you prefer).
Ye thats true

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)