ITT: Car Fetish

I have been searching for a new car ever since I rented a 2012 car while my 2003 Accord was in maintenance:

and I was blown away at how much I was missing technology or powerwise, even if the car I was renting was a floaty Camry dud that felt like it was taking off after I reached 120 km/h -_-

So, my search has begun. Obviously since I started seriously thinking about this in the beginning of 2012 (thank you Stock Market, you have been kind to me), it's better for me to just wait for the fall to get me a 2013 model (lol car industry, it's 2012 even in the fall newbs).

So, I'm not married, and even if I were I would need a couple of years to justify a four door car, so that's optional. I am still amazed about how awesome the handling on my Accord is, where I ever I steer it (it has an awesome steering wheel as well)

it goes, very nimble, great agility, great center of gravity it feels like this thing is gliding on the road even at high speeds and a magnet is underneath guiding it's way.

So what's been preventing me from buying a Honda Accord round 2? Well, because the 8th generation Accord looks like an updated 4th Generation Sonata:

For comparison sake:

I have been trolling the road with my 2003 Accord so badly that even the Ultimas, Mercedes and the BMWs are left with their jaws open at how much control I have even at high speeds.

This was before the unveiling of the new Honda Accord Concept for 2013, so I went to look for other options. I always say this and I will repeat it forever: Speed is a fad. If you can't control your car I don't care if you do 0-100 in 0.1 seconds, you still suck and so does the car if you can eat corners like bacon.

So, let's revise my wish list:

1) Ultimate Control

2) Great shape

3) Sports version of a sedan

4) Doesn't hurt if it's RWD or 4WD, but whateva FWD is also OK

So, I came up with these options:

American Muscle, you jelly?

That's right, the Taurus SHO, what a beauty. It didn't hurt that Ford was running ads between everything from sports matches to soap dramas either. So I set my mind, this is obviously what I wanted, right? Well...

I read the reviews about the handling aspect, and it turn's out that it's a heavy brick and it drives around like one too. Bah, someone is trolling me! I mean this car was soooooo close, dat HP, dat design, dat 4WD, come on!

Oh well, next on the list:

What an evolution! Alright surely we had hit the sweet spot! Err, yes, if the sweet spot were talking about wasn't in the wallet! More price than bling, not much in HP either, and apparently I'm gonna suffer from claustrophobia if I try to drive one for more than an hour. It's a handling genius, but I need justifications to buy this. It has turbo and it's descendant from rally greats, so I was very confused about rejecting this.

So what about the Impreza, I mean you can't see one without the other, but I watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4CfWdoSOTk

At that point (before 2 weeks ago) I said fuck it, I'd rather drive my Accord, save my gil, and wait (I am a very patient man, I was stuck with my Nokia phone until...I bought a Blackberry Bold 9900 for a smartphone? UM, yeah..).

But then the clouds dissipated and sunlight has shown!

Ladies and gentleman, I present to you, the Honda Accord 2013 (concept, lol Honda always almost produces it the same way anyway, concept my ass).

It not only looks similar to my beloved, it also....ok there is no specs for this thing other than the V6 will have a 6 speed automatic and some nanny techs. So yeah, at least it has great weight distribution, looks very awesome.

OK have at it, which car should I ride into the 21st century?

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Definitely wouldn't mind driving a vehicle like that.

Mitsubishis's are nice, but the fuel economy on those guys can suck pretty badly, especially that specific model.

Ford Taurus is definitely nice, though I like the Focus a lot better, just because of the appearance, not to mention smaller cars are nice to zip around traffic in.

But yeah, I would definitely look at either the Taurus or the Accord. Honda is very good about quality vehicles, so I'm sure that the Accord won't let you down. If anything, you could lease an Accord, save money, and grab another new vehicle in 3 years (that's what a lot of people do). Ford has also been making quality product, so I don't doubt the awesomeness and performance of the Taurus.

Me: I'm a Subaru nut. I like the old '08-'10 Imprezas. The WRX Hatchback is basically my dream car right there.

I'm not a car enthusiast at all but I drive a 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE. I drive 120 miles a day for work and it gets me about 28 mpg which isn't great but isn't bad either. I love the way it handles. Very smooth. If you want to compromise between sporty and affordable it's not a bad choice imo.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
what i currently drive (not my car though a google pic)

what i want to drive

got a long way to go

Ever wish there was a car amusement park where you can rent that car you want to test that day and drive it around various tracks?

In any case I think the Ford and the Honda are top on the list, and since the 2013 heralds a new generation for both of these companies (as well as for Hyundai, Toyota, etc.) it's better to wait and see what people say about these things.

The max I'm willing to spend is 40000 USD, hopefully I will not need to bleed that much but hey, everything is expensive these days, even sub-porsche cars like these. Thanks about the money saving scheme BTW Acklow :)

How is the experience of riding a rally car on highways? I'm intrigued!

EDIT: Jags are pretty much no man's territory for me, never driven one, so a bit of insight of how it handles will be great :)
Also I don't care about mileage, if it drives well it can drink gas like a hummer for all I care. I drive 125 miles per work day if you want to compare, and Lancers (especially the newones whose backs look like Porsche 911s) are very close to Evos.

By all means if I'm wrong in anything I've said please correct me.

For the future:

NSX, scheduled to be released in 2015 and of course the king itself:

Panamera Turbo S. Your welcome.

Mitsu Lancer Evo. Dream Car. <3

I must admit though, that Honda is looking fairly tidy. if you're in the $40,000 range then maybe look into a decent BMW. I reckon you could get a very very nice second hand M5 which would be amazing.

You could get a good spec Mazda MX-5
I always started on Gran Turismo 3 A-spec with an MX-5 Test drive some stuff.

Actually fuck all those ideas. Kill a few Drug Barons, buy this

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
stick to 2WD cars, 4WD sounds great and all but the suspension is too heavy. Unless you plan on driving in the snow, you don't need anything more than 2WD.

Also lol Ford, you're seriously considering it?

Killing a few drug barons wouldn't be such a bad idea to get a Zonda (that is a Zonda right?), save the people, get rich or die trying and get yourself a super car that has constantly raped overpriced, over hyped supercars on Top Gear's track.

The other car is an Alfa Romeo, right? The Mazda lacks the punch I want from a car, and M5 is expensive O_O Second hand sounds like a good option, but even a second hand M5 is more expensive than a new Honda Coupe and the like.

Thanks Waterbomb for the technical advice, but riddle me this: When is FWD better and when is RWD best? I have a GT5 exclusive book and it goes on and on about cart stuff, I should read it soon.

About thinking about Ford..well they have rebranded themselves, haven't they ;_;

@Junior: Good Car = Good Company = Good Fun, parts are interchangeable :)

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
When is FWD better and when is RWD best?
fwd is generally cheaper and will offer you better traction in adverse weather conditions like snow and rain!

id generally say rwd is better though because it offers better handling and the cars can generally take more of a beating

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
oh btw does anyone else like Lady Gaga's Audi r8 gt?

me too

edit:

@Junior: Good Car = Good Company = Good Fun, parts are interchangeable :)
who says we need a nice car to have fun? a shitbox can take me as far as a good car can...

Acklow has a good opinion. But all I have to post within the realm of awesomeness and realistic goals and 4 doors:

Also none of the cars in this thread are/should be FWD

My bad steamroll. I could have sworn I say a Zonda with a similar body, to make up for it, I'm gonna post the finest tail you guys/gals have ever seen:

a shitbox can take me as far as a good car can...
It's about the driving experience not the ability to drive you from point A to point B. There's got to be something fun about driving around a ton of metal at insane speeds yet keep perfect control over it.

At least that's my take of it. Also driving involves knowing where to position yourself, seeing forward and anticipating where cars are gonna move, etc. It's actually quite fun if you don't drive around like a drunkard.

You know Zach my farther adores the Charger and has pressed me on getting one, but I didn't like the Box shape to it. Also it looks heavy enough to not being able to compete with the rest handling wise, but the new shape is excellent, I should also consider it as an option :)

Anyway I found this intresting article about handling cars that are less than 100,000$:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/the-best-handling-car-in-america-for-less-than-100k-feature

It was a Lamborghini Reventon, never released, just put up in show rooms as a poster boy for the new Lamborghini Aventador. Zondas are amazing too.

Just don't get American Cars, If you like handling, go European or Japanese. for the love of god.

I realise my overestimation of the Second Hand M5, I forget that £1>$1

Seriously though, if you can, save up and get a Nissan GT You'll certainly not regret it.

:O

Wow. Can't wait till 2015.

@Carl: 2012 mazda3 hatchback looks a lot like the Impreza, nice interior as well.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ford can rebrand themselves all they want, they are still Ford and they still suck outside of trucks. As for the drivetrain you should only go for RWD if you plan to race competitively. If that's not important to you, just stick to FWD.

Also stay away from Mazda at all costs. They are fine up to 100k miles, but after that they almost instantly fall apart and start bleeding you to death. I've owned two different Mazdas from different eras and models and they both had the same issue.

OK now you have to tell me what's behind the hate Waterbomb. You explained your Mazda situation even though personally I think they did a great job in reviving their brand instead of slipping like Suzuki (were they ever a good car company anyway?) but not Ford.

About the WD I don't think I'll have the chance to compete even though I do have the talent to go far so it's mostly for my personal enjoyment so I won't fuss much about this, thanks!

In any case it will be a couple of months before I actually enter a show room so smogon the floor is for you, what are you driving, what are your future plans, what are your dreams, your failures?

Say what you want about her music, gaga has good car taste. Also Jelli and Fishy, I'll see your retro cars and raise you these two:

RIP Mr. Porsche, you will be missed!

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...e-designer-porsche-911-dies-76-194330668.html

Also Mr. Red's favorite:

Thunder > Fire

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)