It's not a weather team? WTF! (Peaked 1250)

lol No, it's not a weather team. How many people can honestly say they were expecting that one? I mean really the RMT has way to many of those. Maybe my RMT will turn this thread back into something people actually wanna go to. There are some bad RMTs here. I'll name none of them though. It just seems like a bad time for the RMT section.

Sense I haven't been playing the OU metagame so much anymore, I decided that this was a good time to give away my team. It's a semi-stall team featuring my favorite pokemon, Dragonite. Obviously if anybody's seen any of my posts regarding said Pokemon, you'd know I absolutely love working my team around Dragonite. This team isn't out of the ordinary for me. So without further ramblings, here's my team.

Teambuilding Process

Dragonite

When I first started making this team so long ago, I of course wanted to use Dragonite. However, I realized that I was only ever using BulkyDDnite. It's gotten so much better this gen with MultiScale however, I needed to move away from it. I didn't wanna use the offensiveDD set. At the time I thought Salamence would easily outclass it even with MultiScale. I wanted to try something different. In the end I thought I'd test the CBset. I've yet to regret that decision.

I obviously needed a steel type to go with Dragonite. What's a Dragon type without a Steel Type. It's like Peanut Butter without Bananas. (Don't you judge me) I went through alot of steel types. I believe first I went with Scizor then with Ferrothorn. Neither of those two could really cut it though. I wanted something that can take hits. There were a ton of steel types like that but none that could really stand up to Latios and Rain. In the end the only one I could really think of was SpD Jirachi.

Dragonite, Jirachi

I never turned to another steel type again. Jirachi fit the bill perfectly. Not only could it do exactly what I wanted it to do but it's a secondary wisher which I absolutely love on my teams and it's my 3rd - 5th most favorite pokemon. I've had no trouble with this guy. It's come handy not just as Dragonite's partner but as a truly essential pokemon on my team.

When it came right down to it though I always hated Hazards. I needed something to get rid of hazards. Unlike my last team though I had a reserve spot for a psychic type I've been wanting to use so Espeon was out. Therefore I needed a spinner. I couldn't think of any though that would do it's job without interfering with my teams synergy. I also wanted to set up rocks of my own because a CB pokes without rocks is a bad day in this gen. I sorta wanted to go with Forretress but I already had a steel type and I didn't want a huge weakness to Sun teams. The only one I could think of was Donphan.

Dragonite, Jirachi, Donphan

Donphan tends to do it's job well enough. It gets rid of rocks and sets up its own most of the time. I usually have to get into a prediction match with Jellecent though and I absolutely hate seeing Gengar. I can win against Jellecent with Earthquake but Gengar is just a thorn in my side when I see it with this guy out. Whatever the case it does its Rock job easily but I love it's sturdy ability. Game Freak did a really good thing with changing Sturdy like that. Donphan has saved me from alot of potential sweeps.

During the time I was making this team was the time Reuniclus was being discussed for a ban. I partially made this team because I wanted to test Reuniclus for myself if it was broken or not. While I found it not to be so broken I did find a truly fearsome Calm Mind sweeper and another essential pokemon for my team.

Dragonite, Jirachi, Donphan, Reuniclus

Reuniclus is..... just a great pokemon. I don't think it's broken but it's a great pokemon. It's won games for me, saved me when there's a ton of hazards up and Donphan cant do its job. It's even gone against Tyranitar, Scizor and most of it's checks taking each move that it's not supposed to take, switched out, and came back in later to defeat said check. Reuniclus isn't broken in my book but it's a beast.

When I first made this team I actually didn't have a wish user. Jirachi came later in this teams age. During that time I was very conservative about this team. Specifically about saving Dragonite's Multiscale ability. I wanted a wisher on my team as the final just incase scenario. This wasn't a special pick or anything. It was more of a pick in expirience. Vaporeon isn't a favorite and I could've just as easily gone with Chansey. However, vaporeon shows some synergy with my team and every time I use it, it's always an essential pokemon on my team.

Dragonite, Jirachi, Donphan, Reuniclus Vaporeon

Vaporeon does a great job on my team. It's one of my 2 wishers that keep Dragonite alive and it also does a pretty good job of stalling threats that would run through my team. It's got great synergy with the rest of my team and the bulk that allows it to take offensive threats without much of a problem.

Now as usual we get to the last part. I always save this part for last because well the last is always difficult. It's always difficult to choose the last pokemon on your team because it makes your team. It's the glue that holds it all together. It gets rid of essential threats to your team that would otherwise destroy you. This last pokemon is always the toughest choice. The number of pokemon that can fit are few and they never really show what they got until you use them. To this day I still wish Ditto's Dream World ability would get released. I'd never have to worry about another lead again. The ditto lead is quite possibly the best lead out there. It does everything and counters every lead. Ditto is just to good.

Unfortunately, it's still not out yet so the hunt for a good lead continues. It's not just enough that I have a lead but I need something that helps my team. I usually stick to the sweeper type leads. They're strong when they first come out and they give me the advantage early on. Mabye they don't have the strongest of bulk but they do what they're supposed to do. Not only that but I'm the conservative type and the lead is the best place to start your strategy. All in all I need something that fits the team. Something fast and something that works.

Dragonite, Jirachi, Donphan, Reuniclus, Vaporeon, Thundurus

Eventually I thought of Thundurus. It pretty much fit what I had in mind. It's a fast strong sweeper that can give me the advantage early in the game. Not only that but it fits well with my team because of Prankster Taunt that can stop Stealth Rock users from ruining my Dragonite. Thundurus is a great lead for me. It's helped my team so much sense I put it on and it's actually won a couple battles for me. A fitting lead to my team. No question about it.

Thundurus
@Focus Sash
Nature: Timid
Ability: Prankster
Evs: 252 SpA, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Moves:
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power (Ice)
Volt Switch
Taunt
Bio: I really like lightning. It's my most favorite type of energy. However, thundurus just spoils that for me. I get that it's based off of the thunder god of japan, Raijin and a genie but really it just looks terrible. :P If the japanese gods have a problem with this I'm sorry but really. Stop looking so ugly.

First off let me say that the reason I choose Focus Sash over Life Orb is because I prefer my Thundurus to survive over anything else. I get that it's losing alot of power but this is my prefered method. Sand is a bitch but then I wouldn't use Thundurus much in sand even if I did have life orb. Anyway, this is my lead Thundurus. It's good for getting ahead early on because it has enough power to do it's job while having the utility of taunt and focus sash so I'll be able to counter most leads easily. Apart from that its a standard Thundurus set. T-bolt is for stab, Hidden Power (Ice) is to use the bolt beam combo and Volt Switch is there for scouting purposes.

Reuniclus@Life Orb
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Magic Guard
Evs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
Moves:
Psychic
Focus Blast
Calm Mind
Recover
Bio: Holy crap I love that picture! I am so glad I found it. It's just way to cute. Reuniclus is just a cute pokemon. If I were to put this picture of Reuniclus' cuteness in scale, it'd be about the size of the supermassive black hole in the center of our galaxy. That's just way to cute!

Reuniclus is the sweeper of my team with Calm Mind. Recover is for the recover :P. I choose Psychic over Psychock because Psychic just feels more useful to me. Taking on Conceldurr is alot less stress inducing with Psychic than with Psychock though it does give me a weakness to things like CM Latias who can break my team. I'm pretty much choosing weaknesses here. Latias or Conceldurr. Latias is less common than Conceldurr so I went with Psychic. I choose Focus Blast because it defeats the most of Reuniclus' checks without making me so weak to other Checks.

Dragonite@ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Ability: MultiScale
Evs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
Moves:
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Punch
Extremespeed
Bio: Ah Dragonite. What team have I made that didn't have Dragonite. I think 1 in 5th gen. I had finally killed my pride and made a sand team. It's pretty good but I don't like it at all.

Anyway, when I switched from my usual BulkyDD to Choice Band I haven't looked back at all. I luv this set. It shocked me how much damage this thing does. The CB set is definately a favorite of mine. Outrage is for the stab and the sheer pleasure of watching CB Outrage wreck everything. I've heard the saying "Brave Bird everything" but I say "Outrage everything". Fire Punch is to take care of the steels that give Dragonite such a hard time. Extremespeed is for the priority and just because CB Extremespeed is so great. Earthquake is for the secondary protection from steel types and honestly, I can do without it. I'm thinking of switching it to waterfall.

Jirachi@ Leftovers
Nature: Careful
Evs: 240 HP, 20 Def, 216 SpD, 32 Spd
Moves:
Iron Head
Thunder Wave
Wish
U-turn
Bio: Jirachi has always been a personal favorite of mine. Apart from the fact that I love cute pokemon, it looks cool as well. I like the fact that it makes wishes and in general I just like it. The 3rd eye I can do without though. That's kinda creepy.

As I said in the team building process, Jirachi wasn't my first steel type. I went through a bunch before I got to Jirachi. Ferrothorn was one but I didn't like it. Scizor was a little better than Ferrothorn but I didn't need another Band and it just wasn't doing anything to really support my team. Jirachi was there in the end. It's a great bulky pokemon. Thunder Wave was the main Reason in a list of reasons I choose Jirachi. The paralysis helps my team alot. Iron Head is the obvious choice of an attacking move as it works with T-wave and Serene Grace. Wish is because I need a secondary wisher. Vaporeon is great and all but in the end I needed another wisher. U-turn is for the scouting and psuedo Wishpass.

Vaporeon@ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Water Absorb
Evs: 188 Hp, 252 Def, 56 SpA, 12 Spd
Moves:
Scald
Wish
Roar
Protect
Bio: My 4th most favorite eeveelution. Vaporeon is the best wisher I could think of that had psynergy with my team. It's also the only wisher I could think of. Seriously I've couldn't think of anything else. I've used it for so long that it's wrapped in my brain as the only wisher out there I can actually use. Every time I make a team I wonder if Vaporeon can fit on there in some way. It's slightly annoying but in the end Vaporeon is a great wisher.

Scald is for the obvious Stab but I always hope for the burn. Whatever weed Game Freak was smoking when they made scald was obviously the good kind of weed. The same can be said with wish. Though the 5th gen version of wish does hurt some wishers Vaporeon just got a million times better with her wish. Roar is for the phasing which I really need on this team. I don't know how many times that saved me but it did so a good number of times. Protect is just that. It protects me so I can scout and heal with wish.

Donphan@ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sturdy
Evs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
Moves:
Earthquake
Ice Shard
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock
Bio: Donphan isn't very popular is it? I was looking for a picture of Donphan and for the life of me, I could not find one that really said "this is Donphan. Awe in its glory." I thought a mini elephant that rolls into a ball would be very popular but I guess not.

Donphan is a standard pokemon to me. It's one that I just cant think to have on a team without. Especially this gen where sturdy just made it a million times better as a rapid spinner and as a general bulky pokemon. Earthquake is for the obvious stab and because every single team needs to have an earthquake user. They just do. If you don't have earthquake on your team somewhere your DOING IT WRONG! Ice Shard is to take on dragons that would smack my team around without it. I cant tell you how many Garchomp sweeps we're avoided because I saved my donphan and his precious Ice Shard. (It still usually doesn't work out. Want me to tell you how many times Ice Shard missed while I was trying to prevent a Garchomp sweep?) Rapid Spin is for the Stealth Rock that I know is coming my way. This is a Dragonite team. You need to get rid of Stealth Rock. You just do. The same can be said for Stealth Rock. When you have a CB pokemon as powerful as Dragonite you need Stealth Rock.

Conclusion:
I really like this team. Most pokemon on that team are my favorites in some way or another so it feel good to have a team of my favorite pokemon. They're also competitively viable in some way or another. With this team I made it up to 1250 before weather really started getting on my ass. Maybe someone else will have more luck with it or maybe someone will have a suggestion to change this team. Part of the reason I made this team is because I just don't know how I can change this team without completely ruining the synergy this team has. Each one does it's job for the sake of the team. It's hard for me to change it. So maybe someone else will have an opinion. Give me your all smogon. Just don't get to bad.

Here's one last look at my team before you go.

I peaked 100 points higher than you with a non-weather team and trolled people on PO with a non weather subsect team without earthquake. You seem weak to excadrill and I would suggest gliscor over reun, I'm not sure what reun checks for you other than fighting types.

Looks like a good team, pretty sturdy, and good synergy. I like it, doesn't really need too much revision. In any weather, you have a Pokemon that could do just fine.

And don't worry, I'm with ya on Donphan. It's too cool to be this underrated.

I peaked 100 points higher than you with a non-weather team and trolled people on PO with a non weather subsect team without earthquake. You seem weak to excadrill and I would suggest gliscor over reun, I'm not sure what reun checks for you other than fighting types.
I don't see the relevance of telling me you peaked 100 points higher but w/e. Congrats to you

As for the gliscor thing I have 3 things that are weak to Ice already on this team.

So fucking what? Your ladder peak means absolutely nothing, especially in regards to someone else's RMT.

@The actual team. In its current state, I don't see you getting past Eviolite Chansey at all. While Choice Band Dragonite does demolish it with Outrage, you'll have to predict pretty well if there are any steels left on their team. Try changing Reuniclus's Psychic to Psyshock. That way, you can set up on other Calm Mind Reuniclus and Latias, and be able to take down Chansey/Blissey.

Other than that, pretty good team. Might want to watch out for bulky mons in general. I don't personally like Donphan, but if it works, that's good. If Gengar gives you anymore problems, though, you could always try switching Donphan to Starmie in order to get the speed creep on it and OHKO with a Hydro Pump. Unfortunately, that change would require you to change Vaporeon to a Stealth Rocker. A compliment to Starmie could be Skarmory as a good defensive pivot and better check to physical sweepers? Whirlwind could do wonders on the team, too, cause a good set up Pokemon is kind of hard for it. Skarmory shares Donphan's Sturdy as well, but also has instant recovery. It also serves as a good mixed defensive platform. I dunno how that'd play out though.

While Kurashi may have a bit of trouble with Excadrill, I don't think he needs to restructure his entire team too much to accommodate it. Actually, on second thought, Excadrill does anywhere from 73.9% - 87.1% to Vaporeon with EQ after an SD, so that could be worth looking into. Perhaps Bronzong could replace Jirachi, as it shuts down Excadrill sweeps and can open up new support options. Wishporeon has great synergy with it as well.

Your teams not defensive enough for a defensive team, and it's severely lacking in the power department for a balanced team. I suggest you pick a route and take it.

@Kaonohiokala

That's why I call it a semi-stall team.

@marthritist

Hrm.... mabye. Jirachi is a useful pokemon and I've never had to much trouble with excadrill so long as I predict it coming in and save my donphan. Then again I can see your point. I might test Bronzong or possibly Skarmory if I can think of a replacement for Donphan.

@blarajin

I don't see chansey all that often but they do give me trouble yes. However, none of them really carry Ice Beam so it's easy to get in there with my Dragonite and tear stuff up. Dragonite also doesn't mind a T-wave so it's all good. As for the gengar thing I'm not sure if I wanna replace my entire team like that. Gengar is annoying but this team has a synergy about it that makes it very difficult to replace more than one pokemon. If I replace one pokemon I can work from there but replacing two pokemon at a time might be to much for this team to handle unless the pokemon have similar roles on the team.

I'm not trying to pose any kind of offensive threat except for Dragonite and Reuniclus. If you have something to recommend that I can use as an offensive threat I'll see what I can do.

I think you are correct to switch EQ for Waterfall on Dnite since the latter covers everything that Fire Punch doesn't already handle in terms of coverage. Moreover, it allows you to hit Excadrill and Heatran even if they have balloons which could be the difference between life and death, particularly with Excadrill. While it is SE against many physical walls, its power is deceptively weak and you'll fail to get a lot of OHKOs and maybe even 2HKOs. For example, I had an offensive DDnite that knew waterfall and it still failed to OHKO Gliscor after 2 DDs! I was then crippled with toxic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)