Is Bronzong the only way to take care of Chomp?

Hey there guys, my name is Sork, and you have probably seen me around the forums here a couple of times. I've been a little less active as of lately, mostly been trying to work hard in school, and just yesterday the news of Chomp being unbanned became apparent. So, I've spent a little time researching, and I think I've found a way to combat Chomp, in something you've probably overlooked as a potential team member thousands of times. So, let's go ahead and get into the team.

My first thing to do when building this team was finding something that can take on Garchomp. Bronzong is known as the best counter to it, but it really can't take on Chomp if it gets an SD up. So, I looked to a more conventional method for it, and lo and behold, I found it, in the form of Landorus-T.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Protect

Landorus-T has often been regarded as the worst member of the Therian Form trio. But, he might actually be able to do something about the metagames newest threat. With these investments, Lando is able to take any hit from garchomp all day, thanks to it's ability that it's Incarnate form doesn't have, intimidate. Intimidate is what made me want to use Lando-T in the first place. This essentially makes it so their SD is only +1, their Choice Band is +0, and with a choice scarf, they may be speedy, but they can't hit worth dirt. Go ahead and run the calcs on this yourself, I ran a few for a good 30 minutes, but I couldn't list all of them if I could. Just know that this Landorus is able to take a +1 outrage with EASE. With protect, you can make sure that you are never 2hko'd by outrage, even at +1 (Unless they get rocks up, which I'll talk about in a bit), and even a -nature HP ice is still going to be a clean 2hko. And looking past Chomp, Landorus does wall some things nicely as well. Sure, it can't do anything to them, but it can at least do significant damage to them, and if worst comes to worst, I can always u-turn out, and earthquake is there just for stab.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Ah, in a meta where Chomp has just been unbanned, you'd have to be crazy to NOT use him. This thing has been a threat since day 1, and it still is today. Fire blast in order to deal with skarm and ferro better (Don't want to be getting that iron barbs damage), and the other moves are there because, well, it's garchomp, he doesn't need anything other than those moves mostly. Scarf because Chomp is extrememly fast with a scarf.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 6 SAtk
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast

I decided to use T-tar because I felt that rain will definitely screw this team over big time. So, in order to give my opponent a run for his money, I decided to use my own weather, mostly because only 2 out of my 6 mons actually don't take sandstorm damage, so it's really not that big of a deal to run it. SR because it's rocks, every team needs them, and rock slide is for volcarona, who I think this team is going to be a pain to deal with, Fire blast so that genesect can't set up on me with rock polish, and to help deal with ferro, and pursuit is to trap the lati twins. I am actually thinking about putting on crunch over pursuit, just to deal with reuniclus better, but, we'll see if I should make that switch when the ladder has implemented Chomp.

Genesect @ Focus Sash
Trait: Download
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 Spd / 192 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Focus sash genesect may seem like an odd thing to most people, but trust me, this thing does work when it needs to. It's usually my lead, and it's main use it to deal with opposing genesect. Sometimes people leave in their genesect on mine, thinking they'll outspeed and kill with flamethrower, while I survive and kill them with my own flamethrower. The other moves are for coverage, because genesect is just such a great trump card if I can use it properly. I opted not to run scarf on this, mostly because I already have scarf Garchomp. I normally don't like more than one scarfer on a team, and mostly that reason is because of entry hazards, and guess who I have to deal with those?

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spd
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Recover
- Psyshock

I opted to go with defensive starmie over forretress because keldeo can and will cause me problems if the rain is set up. Psychock is to hit through the calm mind boosts, spin is to help keep Landorus Alive so that it doesn't get ohko'd by chomp, and also to help preserve genesect's sash, while scald is there to try and burn things, and of course, recover to be able to stay alive. The ev's are made so that I can outspeed max speed modest base 110's (CM Latias comes to mind), and with latias in mine, I can hit through the calm mind boosts and keep psyshocking.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 216 Def / 240 HP / 52 Spd
Bold Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Roost

After looking at the team, I realized I had a very big weakness to Venusaur in the sun. So, I had to think long and hard about who could take on venusaur easily, and again, lo and behold, volcarona offered his shining hand out for the team. It's a bulky set, mostly because I want Volcarona to be able to take any hit from venusaur, and if it does carry earthquake, I can take that very easily. With roost, I'm able to get rid of the SR damage if starmie is dead and I can't spin them away, and quiver dance, fiery dance, and bug buzz are there to help volcarona be able to deal significant damage.

So, that's the team. I'm going to try to see if anybody wants to do some Garchomp Metagame battles on the wi-fi finder, so I'll report back about anything that I find that I need to change. As always, feel free to comment about what problems I may have in my team, I'm not a great team builder, but I did try and look for the most problematic of things.

Two changes:

1. Switch Leftovers for Life Orb, because Scald and Psychock are relatively weak STABs.
2. Switch Garchomp's nature to Naive; you don't want its Fire Blast weakened.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)