Ipod Help (where to find + how to get mp4 video files onto my Ipod.

Now I know I aint the most liked or respected guy around here. But if you could open up your heart and help me, that would be really nice of you.
I'm new to mp3/mp4 etc's, so my knowledge of the inner workings is limited as you can guess.
I've had a 30Gb Ipod for over 7 months now, however I hardly use the thing and quickly got bored of it.
Now I've decided to give it to a family member (which I haven't seen for 7 years), who is less fortunate as me and doesn’t have a comp to put items on the Ipod by themselves. So before I hand over said Ipod, I'm going to fill it up with as much entertainment as possible.

Entertainment such as; Comedy / Music / Cartoons / Anime / Movies and possible over things that you guys could advise me to include.

Previously I used an online converter (I forget the name), which would convert files into Ipod format, such as little youtube 10min vids etc. Then once it was saved onto my desktop I would drag it into my Itunes, so the next time I connected my Ipod to my comp it would transfer over all new items added to Itunes.

What I need advice on:
  • 1. One of the main problems I had with my previous method, was that I couldn't get an entire episode of Avatar, Naruto etc onto my Ipod. I had to save sections, and watch them one at a time. This was due to my converter not being able to convert bigger files plus I used to get all my clips from Youtube as that’s the only process I'm aware of....

2. Another problem I had was if I deleted a file of Itunes, it was also delete it of my Ipod next time it automatically updated my Ipod. is that supposed to happen?

3. Also how can I save certain files into different folders so its easier to see what I have saved on my Itunes and Ipod. Because at the moment I have to search through my Ipod before I get to the music video I want to see. For instance, grouping Chris brown songs in one section

4. Movies. I can see this being the biggest problem, however if its there's an easy way to do this. Thank you so much.

Hopefully with your help, I can give my family member a nice gift!

I'm having a similar problem, actually. When I download a video into .flv format from youtube or wherever, then open it in iTunes, iTunes will open but won't play anything.

Also my computer freezes before I can convert stuff into aac or whatever in iTunes -_- but thats just my crap computer I think.

1. There a nifty greasemonkey script going around that adds a download link to youtube videos (just below the video) and you can download whole videos this way. Use this link: http://www.youtubeloader.com/firefox_plugin.php

2. Isn't that just in the memus somewhere on iPod settings?

3. Right click something in iTunes and go "get info" then you can add genres, artist info etc.

Also if you want an anime go with death note if they're not really young

Thanks Stoo99 for replying. In problem no1, I have downloaded from Youtube before. Its just that one episode of say naruto is normally split up into 3 parts. So I really need a diffrent site that offers whole episodes instead.

I'll probably use Youtube only for Music videos, however the quality is the best. =(

heh, guess my nicely written thread wasn't good enough for you guys.
I'll just try and find the answers myself.

Edit: Ive just found the converter I used to use. www.zamzar.com It can only handle files up to 100MB in size. But its free and you don't have to download anything to your desktop.

Hopefully this helps someone as well =/

for conversion i definitely suggest ffmpeg. you'll have to do some finding out for it since it's primarily available as svn trunks, but it's worth it, you can convert from any format to mp4 pretty speedily, and more efficiently if you have a dual core processor (thanks to -threads 2).

there should not be much of a problem with length either, few days back i synced a few DVDs converted to 320 width mp4 files on my ipod and faced no problems during the conversion process. the resultant files were then imported into itunes via a simple drag/drop and synced on the ipod.

i hope i was able to help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)