instead of a good threads thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex

the best stuff on earth
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
how about we make a forum

kind of like an archive where no one can post for only excellent threads to prevent people from bumping and then immediately ruining them completely (see: ls' cartoon thread in firebot) as well as provide a place for people to see smogon at its peak i guess

it could be for more than just funny shit but also really cool or whatever threads thatre long gone

also it should have a cool name

yeah

i think this idea is clever! the tdc needs something antipodal

edit: NOOBSTER please show a littlre more support for user lords and his idea it is worthy ofr more than KINDA LIKING

edit: sanders what the fUCK man are you TRYING to piss me off

cloud

groove, slam, work it back, filter that baby, bump
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
yeah that might go down well. like a oak's pc hall of fame kinda thing.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Who decides which threads go in there? Will there be, like, a Thread Ratifying Committee of 5 cool people whose opinions on threads we trust? To be quite honest, there are some threads listed in Mekkah's thread that I don't feel deserve to be immortalized.

We could discuss it on #insidescoop for whoever is actually on at the time.

It seems like we're adding new forums a little quickly recently, but this forum is one that I can handle. It's a good idea. Yeah lords!!!

Who decides which threads go in there? Will there be, like, a Thread Ratifying Committee of 5 cool people whose opinions on threads we trust? To be quite honest, there are some threads listed in Mekkah's thread that I don't feel deserve to be immortalized.
And on a similar note, there's also threads out there that should be listed there. I'm sure we can agree on a good amount of them though. If nothing else we can flood Inside Scoop with polls.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
this would be a good idea... i recommend segregating it into "actually good" and "lol users" forums and going through every forum (ESPECIALLY the archives) and moving shit over. When we hit 700,000 posts or so i plan to purge the archives.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I would absolutely spearhead this project, in fact I'd almost go so far as to demand it. I absolutely adore going through the archives, and to actually do something worthwhile at the same time instead of JUST wasting my time at work...yeah. I'm your man.

Someone set up those forums and I'll start ASAP.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Alright, just tell me what -exactly- we want and I'll set it up. A subforum of Firebot called "Good Old Threads" or something? Just post the exact details here.

Posting to make sure that this would be sub-forum and not forum...also, please lock the entire forum. The last thing good threads need is fucktards posting "this was a good thread" and "how did i miss this"

Actually the worst part would be retards trying to copy the original post (assuming the original post was the funny part)
See: Bidoof thread, Leonard's post and some guy who bumped it recently.

I'm fine with this. Would stuff like chaosmare's I'M UR NEW GOD get moved there, or do "retarded good" threads stay in TDC?

alex

the best stuff on earth
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm fine with this. Would stuff like chaosmare's I'M UR NEW GOD get moved there, or do "retarded good" threads stay in TDC?
this would be a good idea... i recommend segregating it into "actually good" and "lol users" forums and going through every forum (ESPECIALLY the archives) and moving shit over
i guess really funny-dumb threads would get moved?

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Also if this happens make sure all like links and pictures get saved on the site, as a lot of the good old threads are just full of red x's..

Have anice day.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
As far as "who decides", if a smod likes it and it's old, it goes in. I don't see a problem with that, it's not like we can attempt to legislate humor anyway.

Ok here is my gameplan for this new forum:

1) I'm not a fan of the french theme, we need to think of something else!
2) Only good threads should be moved there, this does not include "funny stupid" threads by noobs.
3) Only "funny stupid" threads by noobs should be moved to Trou Du Cul.
4) If somebody makes a thread that breaks the rules and serves no purpose it should be infracted and deleted on sight.
5) If somebodys thread sucks and ends up with a good chunk of posts lock it.
6) Of course you can use your judgement in some cases with deleting the "no purpose" threads.

I thought there was no new posting as far as this forum went so nothing gets killed, although we can just delete/infract that too. =/

We can also determine what threads go there by the amount of stars it has, though the idea of SMods and admins that like the thread should also be counted in. Obviously a 5-star thread would be a great thread if there aren't any people purposely voting it such a thread, so if a person with high authority likes it, then it goes in the forum.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
We can also determine what threads go there by the amount of stars it has, though the idea of SMods and admins that like the thread should also be counted in. Obviously a 5-star thread would be a great thread if there aren't any people purposely voting it such a thread, so if a person with high authority likes it, then it goes in the forum.
The only problem with that is that people have been VERY liberal with rating threads recently, there are a rash of 5-star threads that are 3-star quality at best. Everyone needs to realize that there are VERY FEW cases in which a great OP makes a 5-star thread (see: Fish's Misty Story, Steelicks vs. Mojonbo, etc.). If it's an amusing OP followed by a bunch of "lol" and "that's funny, good thread!" posts, then it's not 5-stars.

DampMullet said:
Everyone needs to realize that there are VERY FEW cases in which a great OP makes a 5-star thread (see: Fish's Misty Story, Steelicks vs. Mojonbo, etc.). If it's an amusing OP followed by a bunch of "lol" and "that's funny, good thread!" posts, then it's not 5-stars.
Then again, the only post that was really funny in both of the examples you named was the first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)