SPOILERS! Indigo Disk Discussion

The only thing I don't understand is what "postgame event" it refers to.

Looks like it's a base game event, as it specifically says to complete the main stories of the two DLCs.

I guess it wants you to finish the gym rematches as well?
This story happens after the DLC depicting the main story buddies being invited to Kitakami for sightseeing. Chronologically it happens after the DLC Area Zero event, as Carmine mentioned about the cave beneath the crater.

Logically, it should just be a post Terapagos event.

This story happens after the DLC depicting the main story buddies being invited to Kitakami for sightseeing. Chronologically it happens after the DLC Area Zero event, as Carmine mentioned about the cave beneath the crater.

Logically, it should just be a post Terapagos event.
The little teaser states you need to complete 2 things:
-The story of the DLCs
-A post-game event in the base game

The latter is what worldie is wondering about

The only logical explanation would be that it's the event at the Crystal pool with Terapagos and the professors
If it were that, they’d have labeled it as “a certain postgame event in The Indigo Disk,” not Scarlet & Violet. That particular cutscene is Indigo Disk content. It’s probably just the Ace Tourney, as R_N said.

My question is, is this not a limited time event? It seems like just a free update.

If it were that, they’d have labeled it as “a certain postgame event in The Indigo Disk,” not Scarlet & Violet. That particular cutscene is Indigo Disk content. It’s probably just the Ace Tourney, as R_N said.

My question is, is this not a limited time event? It seems like just a free update.
Neither the trailer or the japanese website seem to indicate its a time locked situation, or that it requires another event trigger (like a mystery gift item). So yeah seems like they'll just do a small update to trigger the event and everyone will be able to do this moving forward provided they bought the DLC.

Nice if so, I kind of thought it'd need an item they would give away.

A neat detail I noticed after someone pointed something out for the Champion match

People in comments for the Music Uploads note that Kieran seems to specifically target Ogerpon if you bring her out during the battle. Whether that's true or just coincidence for them, it did make me look at his team and notice his two Leads are basically designed to counter Ogerpon on top of the Rain Lead strat, which I find a neat touch given it's a sore spot for Kieran and also a strong enough mon that many players would probably bring her even without thinking about the story connection.

To elaborate, the Rain lead immediately neuters Hearthflame, the most offensively inclined of the forms, and then between two moves apiece, Politoed and Dragonite can each hit Ogerpon with a SE move in any of it's 7 type profiles (Teal Mask plus each of the other 3 Masks + Tera Forms). Un-Tera'd Cornerstone has the best match-up with Rock Cudgel and Grass moves into Politoed, but unless you Double up on Dragonite (who has a good shot surviving even that SE hit thanks to Multiscale), it even has Extreme Speed to pick off a Sturdy-proc Oger next turn if it survived Politoed's Ice Beam. Politoed even has Helping Hand to buffer against Wellspring shedding Grass and gaining SpD to survive Hurricane instead of Thunder.

Reminds me of the fan theories that Ghetsis's BW Hydreigon was designed to counter N's team for usurping him eventually, but played out more directly in gameplay against you this time instead of theory for a battle that never takes place even in story.

A neat detail I noticed after someone pointed something out for the Champion match

People in comments for the Music Uploads note that Kieran seems to specifically target Ogerpon if you bring her out during the battle. Whether that's true or just coincidence for them, it did make me look at his team and notice his two Leads are basically designed to counter Ogerpon on top of the Rain Lead strat, which I find a neat touch given it's a sore spot for Kieran and also a strong enough mon that many players would probably bring her even without thinking about the story connection.

To elaborate, the Rain lead immediately neuters Hearthflame, the most offensively inclined of the forms, and then between two moves apiece, Politoed and Dragonite can each hit Ogerpon with a SE move in any of it's 7 type profiles (Teal Mask plus each of the other 3 Masks + Tera Forms). Un-Tera'd Cornerstone has the best match-up with Rock Cudgel and Grass moves into Politoed, but unless you Double up on Dragonite (who has a good shot surviving even that SE hit thanks to Multiscale), it even has Extreme Speed to pick off a Sturdy-proc Oger next turn if it survived Politoed's Ice Beam. Politoed even has Helping Hand to buffer against Wellspring shedding Grass and gaining SpD to survive Hurricane instead of Thunder.

Reminds me of the fan theories that Ghetsis's BW Hydreigon was designed to counter N's team for usurping him eventually, but played out more directly in gameplay against you this time instead of theory for a battle that never takes place even in story.
Interesting, since i'm going through Scarlet right now and almost done with main story (I picked up Ogerpon very early as well and was planning to bring her to Indigo Disk) I'll bring her as lead and see if that's actually the case.

I used Ogerpon in the champion match but honestly I think it was less "he focused on her" and more the typing and moves available mean he's going to prioritize certain Pokemon regardless

Dudunsparce survived like 90% of that match because he just kept attacking the other slot, which was a veritable revolving door of Pokemon

I used Ogerpon in the champion match but honestly I think it was less "he focused on her" and more the typing and moves available mean he's going to prioritize certain Pokemon regardless

Dudunsparce survived like 90% of that match because he just kept attacking the other slot, which was a veritable revolving door of Pokemon
Could be a combination of factors there: his leads having SE moves for Ogerpon in particular, whether by design or coincidence as considered, leads them to focus down Ogerpon first as a target they're more likely to kill quickly.

folks, the game is good.

Also...out of curiosity. Did anyone find any extra issues of occulture around? I noticed that while the "proper" version entries basically ignore the Scarlet/Violet Books (Iron Boulder-Violet & Walking Wake-scarlet are the only ones that do and Wake is offset by the official website specifying the sketch...) all of the "off" versions continue to mention their appearances in dubious magazines with added quirks

Also...out of curiosity. Did anyone find any extra issues of occulture around? I noticed that while the "proper" version entries basically ignore the Scarlet/Violet Books (Iron Boulder-Violet & Walking Wake-scarlet are the only ones that do and Wake is offset by the official website specifying the sketch...) all of the "off" versions continue to mention their appearances in dubious magazines with added quirks
Nothing new turned up for me when I ctrl+F’d stuff like Occulture, Walking Wake, Iron Boulder, Suicune, Entei, etc. If there are any new ones, they didn’t use any of the relevant terms I could think of.

Nothing new turned up for me when I ctrl+F’d stuff like Occulture, Walking Wake, Iron Boulder, Suicune, Entei, etc. If there are any new ones, they didn’t use any of the relevant terms I could think of.
That's unfortunate like a lot of the area zero stuff

ngl when i heard Perrin's quest involved pictures of the rumored Pokemon I thought maybe she was involved with Occulture. But no, just...unrelated, I guess.

For all to do with flying, it's novel to finally stand on the infamous northeast landmass in Paldea (without the speed glitch), even if it's still just as barren. There's still an invisible wall blocking most of it off but there's enough room to stand, and other than that you can see the whole thing from above legitimately now.

1703112795915.png
1703112803772.png

1703112811485.png
1703112817340.png

As a sidenote I recommend shifting back to gliding whenever you need to turn sharply.

You know what would make Kieran mad?
If he meets the player months after Teal Mask and he finds out that the player retired on being a Pokémon trainer.
The player would be too weak by then, and Kieran's pride would never allow him to defeat such a weak trainer.

He would forever miss out on the satisfaction on beating the player.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

Could be a combination of factors there: his leads having SE moves for Ogerpon in particular, whether by design or coincidence as considered, leads them to focus down Ogerpon first as a target they're more likely to kill quickly.
I felt similar to this in that match.

Kilowattrel just got straight up ignored the entire match (Led and didn't die). PorygonZ would have probably KOd with Hyper Beam but it went into Quaquavel (which obviously just got obliterated) - Someone on Smogon main also mentioned their Kilowattrel got ignored too. It might just be due to the type matchups and him running a slightly differing (or high level AI) so makes different plays?

I wonder if Zapdos or Oricorio Pompom has a similar interaction?? I might try that with a rematch match (Presumably you have to beat the BB League members again to get the Keiran rematch?)

Slightly related to that last point, does he mention Terapagos in that rematch?

Just some more thoughts on all the Area Zero lore and stuff:

I decided to look back over the Area Zero journals from the base game, just to see how all of the new information lined up with the old, and… well, let’s just say there’s a lot of issues with the reported chronologies between the two. I’ll try to summarize what I think are the conflicting elements:

According to the Crystal Pool scene and the Underdepths journals, Sada / Turo was deep into their research on the time machine, but kept hitting dead ends. Suddenly, they were transported to the Crystal Pool, where they meet the player. The professor says they’re desperate to find any information that will lead to a breakthrough, which we provide to them in the form of Briar’s book. This informs them about Terapagos and its location in the Underdepths, and we can infer that it’s Terapagos’s power that will allow them to create and power the time machine. We also inform them of the name “Koraidon / Miraidon,” and give them the idea to create an AI duplicate of themselves. The professor hands us the Scarlet / Violet Book in exchange for Briar’s Book (which is a whole other issue that’s already been talked about, so I’ll not focus too much on it here), and then returns to their time, where they presumably write the journals that we find in the Underdepths, which mention their meeting with us at the Crystal Pool and their receipt of Briar’s Book. Aside from the Scarlet / Violet Book hole, it’s a pretty typical bootstrap paradox. Simple enough, but also, we should take a moment to note that the Sada / Turo who appears at the Crystal Pool explicitly states that they have a son whom they imagine is quite lonely due to the professor’s absorption in their own research.

But the journals found in the Research Station during The Way Home tell a very different story. According to those, the sequence of events is as follows: The professor determines that a creature with a shell of hexagonal plates (whose name is blacked out) is the source of the Terastal phenomenon, which the professor coins the name of. This allows the professor to invent the first Tera Orb (and we know from Raifort’s history classes that this occurred 10 years before the main story), which convinces the professor’s corporate backers to provide more funding for their research. They set up their lab at Cabo Poco, but intend to return to Area Zero one day.

Eventually, the professor does return to the Zero Lab, and after many experiments, is able to create the working time machine. (If we’re factoring in the chronology proposed by the Crystal Pool scene, this means that the professor receives Briar’s Book from us in between inventing the Tera Orb and inventing the time machine.) The first Pokémon to have been successfully brought through the time machine is Koraidon / Miraidon, which the professor names (and to reference the Crystal Pool scene again, we are seemingly the one who gave them the idea for that name).

Here’s where it gets messed up, though. At this point, upon Koraidon / Miraidon’s summoning, the professor writes, “I was expecting one new life to treasure, but what fortune to be blessed with this gift as well!” The next journal says, “I’m so close to creating a world like the one in the book — a paradise where we three can live happily together forever.” And then the next mentions that “that man / woman walked out not long after the boy was born.”

According to that sequence of events, Arven wasn’t even born yet at the time of the time machine’s completion and successful activation. So how could the professor at the Crystal Pool, who has yet to get the time machine working, already be talking about their son Arven and speaking to his loneliness (which is partly a consequence of Arven’s other parent walking out on them)?

Assuming, in good faith, that Game Freak didn’t just completely forget about the details of their own story, I feel like this is actually a pretty strong point in favor of the idea that the professor we interact with at the Crystal Pool is not from “our” timeline. The one from “our” timeline, in our past — Arven’s actual mother / father — must have received a copy of Briar’s Book from a different timeline’s version of us, without offering the Scarlet / Violet Book to them in return (I guess that timeline’s professor was just more impolite?)

… Actually, that all being said… is Arven meant to be less than 10 years old…? If Tera Orbs were made 10 years ago, but prior to his birth… bro is literally the same age or younger than Poppy!? :row:

Is this where I say the obvious and remind people that we're in a RSE vs ORAS scenario, aka the Professor you talk to is from a different timeline thus the inconsistencies with what we read in Area Zero during the descent are not relevant?

As pika pal correctly pointed, the series already had a number of "alternate universe" shenenigans. The ending of ORAS implies that "there's an alternate Hoenn where Mega Evolution was never discovered". The various bad guys in Team Rainbow Rocket all state they are from a timeline where they won and were pulled over this one by Giovanni's whatever. There were strong implications that the Dynamax Dens in Crown Tundra were caused by some kind of interactions with Ultra rifts connecting to other dimensions as well.

It would not exactly be a strange speculation that somehow the resonance at the pools is able to temporarly warp people (or create reflections of) from other timelines alternatives to our one.

The most logical (for as much logic one can put in pokemon anyway) explanation of the post-credit scene is that there's two realities
Reality A: (our one) where the professor finds out a crystallized Terapagos, comes up with the Tera Orb, ends up bringing two raidons, one of which rebels and the professor dies trying to save Agias Koraidon/Miraidon while Arven is still a kid and leaves behind the AI to keep their research going
Reality B: the professor of that reality, still alive, has not found out Terapagos yet and is struggling to complete the Time Machine, gets summoned over by the resonance between the Crystal Pool and Terapagos, and we give them the book while suggesting them to actually go spend some time with Arven instead of being holed in their laboratory.

(Though tbfh, as much as this is a logical explanation, I'm moderately sure that GF wanted to make an actual paradox and just fucked up some of the text here and there in the hurry to finish the DLC)

I read "expecting one new life" not as "arven hadn't been born yet" but "arven was already born". Basically "I was expecting" because the time machine thing may not have panned out, but Arven already had.

That's certainly how the entire rest of the game treats Arven, at least.

The most logical (for as much logic one can put in pokemon anyway) explanation of the post-credit scene is that there's two realities
Reality A: (our one) where the professor finds out a crystallized Terapagos, comes up with the Tera Orb, ends up bringing two raidons, one of which rebels and the professor dies trying to save Agias Koraidon/Miraidon while Arven is still a kid and leaves behind the AI to keep their research going
Reality B: the professor of that reality, still alive, has not found out Terapagos yet and is struggling to complete the Time Machine, gets summoned over by the resonance between the Crystal Pool and Terapagos, and we give them the book while suggesting them to actually go spend some time with Arven instead of being holed in their laboratory.
I choose to believe this because it means there's maybe a timeline where Arven is less sad.

Remember that "our" Professor still met with someone to get "the white book". You can read the document about it in the underdepths.
I don't think the Arven snafoo is actually a snafoo at all, but I think the pool scene probably is more likely to have happened than not. And the paradox is, well, by narrative design.

Incidentally did you know you can't undo the indigo disk once inserted? So you can't go down to the time machine room anymore. Sad!

Remember that "our" Professor still met with someone to get "the white book". You can read the document about it in the underdepths.
I don't think the Arven snafoo is actually a snafoo at all, but I think the pool scene probably is more likely to have happened than not. And the paradox is, well, by narrative design.
Tecnically both theoryies can be correct. Our Turo/Sada can just have met a alternate universe version of us who just gave him the white book without asking the other one in return.

But let us believe there is a dimension where Arven doesn't develop childhood traumas k

Is this where I say the obvious and remind people that we're in a RSE vs ORAS scenario, aka the Professor you talk to is from a different timeline thus the inconsistencies with what we read in Area Zero during the descent are not relevant?

(Though tbfh, as much as this is a logical explanation, I'm moderately sure that GF wanted to make an actual paradox and just fucked up some of the text here and there in the hurry to finish the DLC)
I think the main thing is the journal note in the Underdepths which describes the professor’s POV of being given a white book at the Crystal Pool. That was presumably written by “our” Sada / Turo, and it’s the main reason why I think there’s kind of a tendency to gravitate toward the idea that it’s a loop, especially since we seemingly also give the professor the idea for the Raidons’ names and the idea of an AI assistant.

That said, the professor at the lake does say that they “might not even be in a timeline connected to my own,” and of course they imply that the Paradox Pokémon are drawn from alternate timelines. They even say that the whole encounter might just be a “fleeting miracle.” And really, who knows? “Perhaps it’s the influence of the crystal Pokémon,” “perhaps the cause lies with you and I.” Certainly there’s an large amount of ambiguity left clearly open.

My issue was more in terms of where the moment was supposed to sit chronologically in relation to what the base game told us about Sada / Turo’s life, but as R_N said, I suppose the Research Station journals don’t have to be read as saying Arven was born after the time machine became functional.

In general, I’m sort of inclined to think, as you said, that it’s supposed to be an outright paradox. Part of my thinking there is with how they use the Crystal Pool scene to basically double-down on the “Arven casually lampshades the time travel problems” joke:

Arven after the main game: “Hey wait, if Paradox Pokémon were brought here by the time machine my mom built, how could they already be in the Scarlet Book? Ah well, the book is probably all made-up anyway haha”

Arven after the Crystal Pool scene: “Oh you’ve got the Scarlet Book with you! Remember all that stuff we went through with it? You must have grabbed the copy from downstairs haha”

I read "expecting one new life" not as "arven hadn't been born yet" but "arven was already born". Basically "I was expecting" because the time machine thing may not have panned out, but Arven already had.

That's certainly how the entire rest of the game treats Arven, at least.
While I think that reading does work, there’s still a bit of a snag when it comes to Arven’s (completely) absent parent. The Research Station journals say they “walked out not long after the boy was born,” but the preceding entries indicate that the first Koraidon / Miraidon and a handful of other Paradox mons were brought through before they walked out, because the professor still aims to create a paradise for “we three.”

The Crystal Pool scene has to happen sometime in between Arven’s birth and the first successful activation of the time machine, because it’s where the professor gets the name Koraidon / Miraidon from. You can probably stretch it just enough to fit, but the definition of “not long” is really being put through its paces in the process, since the professor would have received Briar’s Book at the Crystal Pool, discovered the Underdepths and Terapagos, and then built the time machine and got it working in the interim.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)