ORAS OU Il pleut il mouille! (Peaked 1932, #30)

IL PLEUT IL MOUILLE!

Introduction

Welcome to my RMT! Rain has always been my favourite playstyle since BW when weather was permanent. However, when XY came along rain was nerfed and basically went out of use. Over the last few weeks I've tried to build a rain team that can do well in the current meta and show that rain is a perfectly viable playstyle, and in my opinion should be used more! I've managed to stay in the mid to high 1800s on the ladder with this team during OLT over the past couple of weeks and this is not down to me being an excellent player (I'm not!) but because I believe rain works very well. I have tried many variations on this team and I have finally reached a team that I am happy with, so now I am opening it up to all of you to see whether you can help me out! I peaked at 1932 #30 on the ladder with this version of the team. Oh, and the title is from a children's song in French about rain, a very rough translation would be "when it rains, stuff gets wet!"

Ladder Peak

Descriptions

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

Of course, a rain team needs a rain setter, and this job comes down to Politoed, being the only rain setter usable in OU. Although Politoed is not the strongest Pokemon it is essential to the team and certainly not deadweight when compared to the rest of the team. Politoed has two basic options, an offensive or a defensive spread. I firmly believe that defence is the way to go, since rain can struggle more against stall, and Politoed actually performs well against stall, and longevity is key, since Politoed may need to come in several times to set up rain. Damp rock is essential in my opinion, since 8 potential rain turns really makes a difference. I chose max defence EVs because the team struggles against physical attackers such as Mega Lopunny or Bisharp, and this enables Politoed to tank hits. Scald is Politoed's attacking move, and I don't think I need to discuss the reasons for choosing it. Toxic is extremely useful to help wear down bulkier Pokemon and water types in general, such as Rotom-W, Keldeo, Gastrodon, Tangrowth etc. Encore is a great move on Politoed to help stop set up sweepers as well as granting free switch ins to other Pokemon on the team. Perish song is another option, but I do not believe it works as well, as 3 turns is usually enough for the opposing Pokemon to cause enough problems before switching out.

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Focus Punch

Mega Swampert is my first choice of rain sweeper and also my mega slot. The combination of Swampert's bulk and power means it is very difficult to stop under rain. I wanted a physical rain sweeper on my team, meaning that the choice came down to either Kabutops or Swampert. Although Kabutops frees up a mega slot, I believe that Swampert is the better choice. Kabutops is frail and provides no electric immunity and has to run Aqua Jet as water coverage if it runs Swords Dance. I chose an Adamant nature over a Jolly nature as although this means Swampert is outsped by some scarfers, Swampert suffers heavily from the loss of power a Jolly nature would give. I then maxed out attack and speed, so that Swampert can still outspeed almost all non scarf Pokemon under rain. As for the moves, Waterfall and Earthquake are essential and are Swampert's main attacking STAB moves and Ice punch is a very strong move in the current metagame given the proliferation of Garchomp, Landorus and Latios. Finally, although it may seem like a gimmick, I believe Focus Punch is a strong move in the fourth slot. Swampert's two most common switch-ins are Ferrothorn and Rotom-W, and both are hit hard on the switch, and physically defensive Skarmory is caught on the roost as it tries to recover for around 90%. The other fourth slot move options are Power up Punch, Low Kick and Thunder Punch. I find Power up Punch to be so weak that it is not really worth it, despite the attack boost, especially as Swampert does not usually have time to set up in the rain. Low Kick is certainly an option, but it is of no help against Skarmory and Rotom-W and I find that Thunder Punch is not needed as Earthquake provides good neutral coverage on water types and Gyarados is rather rare now.

Some Damage Calculations (in rain)
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable in Rain: 252-297 (63.9 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 240-284 (80.2 - 94.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 217-256 (67.1 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 268-316 (76.1 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory in Rain: 271-321 (81.1 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (on roost)
-1 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T in Rain: 252-296 (65.9 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

I chose Kingdra as my second rain sweeper. I wanted a special sweeper to achieve a balance between physical and special sweepers on the team. Seismitoad is the only real option other than Kingdra, but does not pair up well with Swampert for obvious reasons. The main choice with Kingdra is whether to hold Choice Specs or Life Orb. I prefer Choice Specs, mainly for the raw power of water moves as well as for longevity, Kingdra has decent enough defences to take hits and priority, but a Life Orb would destroy this capability as after a few hits and rocks, Kingdra will go down to Extremespeeds and Fake Outs. This set has two water moves. The reason for this is mainly because Hydro Pump is risky and should only be used if it is necessary. Scald is usually sufficient for OHKOs against offensive Pokemon under rain and also can weaken checks with burns on switch ins such as Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur. Draco Meteor is there as a dragon stab and an extremely hard hitting move which few mons can switch into, Dragon Pulse is an option but usually Draco will be chosen for more of a hit and run strategy so I think it is better. Finally, Ice Beam provides useful coverage for grass types. A modest nature is used for maximum power output.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Mega Scizor in Rain: 295-348 (86 - 101.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Scald vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable in Rain: 237-279 (60.1 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 240-284 (80.2 - 94.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo in Rain: 141-167 (43.6 - 51.7%) -- 69.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W in Rain: 168-198 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn is the primary defensive backbone of the team and my rock setter. Rain alleviates Ferrothorn's fire weakness and helps it take hidden power fire coverage moves from Pokemon such as Latios. I decided to run a fully physically defensive spread on Ferrothorn because the team struggles more with physical attackers, and this spread lets Ferrothorn take a Hi-Jump Kick from Mega Lopunny and retaliate with Gyro Ball for example, as well as dealing with Landorus and Bisharp more easily. Knock off is a key move on this set, since it lets Ferrothorn weaken opposing defensive Pokemon that cause the team problems, in particular Amoongus, Rotom-W and opposing Ferrothorn as well as punishing switch ins in general. Removing opposing Pokemon's leftovers, like Rotom-W means Swampert and Kingdra have a much easier time breaking through these Pokemon, which is often the crux of the battles for this team. Leech seed is good for gaining back health, although it is not a move I find I use often, perhaps Spikes is a better option.

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Heat Wave

Tornadus-T is fantastic in the current Metagame, and particularly so on this team thanks to rain granting Tornadus 100% accurate hurricanes. Although Life Orb is an option I much prefer Assault Vest as it allows Tornadus to act as a special sponge and switch in to Pokemon such as Latios with relative ease. Due to this rather defensive role I have used the set with a fair amount of HP investment to tank special hits a lot more easily. Hurricane is very strong under rain and Knock Off helps weaken defensive Pokemon such as Rotom-W as explained in the Ferrothorn text. U-turn is a fantastic move here, enabling free switches into my two rain sweepers as well as providing a lot of momentum for the team. Finally Heat Wave is rather unusual, in that it is obviously hindered by rain but I have found that it catches many Scizors and Ferrothorns off guard since it is obviously not expected and often Tornadus will be battling when rain is not present, since when rain is present, Swampert and Kingdra tend to be on the field so I have found it to be a clever option for the 4th coverage move which works well.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

The 6th slot on this team is one that I have changed many times. Originally it was Raikou, but I found that Raikou was deadweight against stall. I then tried Kabutops, Manaphy and others before settling on Gengar. This set is one of my favourite sets and can really help wear down Swampert and Kingdra's checks and counters with Will-O-Wisp as well as outright take down walls through the combination of Taunt + Destiny Bond which is now quite rare and so is often a surprise. Hex is great in conjunction with Will-O-Wisp and also hits Gliscor very hard. I will often lead with Gengar as it can stop rocks, taunting slower stealth rock users as well as burn 1-2 Pokemon on the other team. It is also a Pokemon which is strong against stall if used carefully since Taunt prevents any kind of recovery and Hex hits for a lot of damage if the opposing Pokemon is burnt. A sash is used as Gengar is usually my lead of choice and the EVs are fairly self explanatory, it would be possible to run more HP, but Gengar is already very frail, and often wants to be taken out thanks to Destiny Bond.

Threats
If there is one team archetype that this team struggles against it would have to be stall. The presence of Mega Sableye on almost all stall teams means it is very difficult to get Stealth Rock up and pressure the opponent.
Set up sweepers also cause this team problems as it cannot really switch in to boosted sweepers and Pokemon such as Bisharp or Pinsir that have priority means that they are difficult to revenge kill with Swampert and Kingdra.
Finally other weathers that disrupt the rain can cause a problem, such as sand and hail, which has recently become a lot more common. Tyranitar however has difficulty setting up sand due to 4 out of 6 of the Pokemon on the team having a good matchup against it.
Mega Lopunny has also given me particular problems, and probably priority users in general, since they can often halt the rain sweepers on the team.
Bulky water resists. These can be a problem and I have discussed how to get around them throughout the RMT. Generally, knocking off the item or getting a burn is enough to allow Kingdra or Swampert to break through.
However none of these threats are insurmountable, they are far from it. With the correct plays I believe any match can potentially be won with this team, as in there are no "auto losses".

Conclusion

So there we have it, we have reached the end of the RMT, I hope you enjoyed and I encourage you to use the team! The importable is below. One thing to mention is that the team cannot really be played mechanically, which people often think about rain. Preserving Politoed is important and I will often only set up rain once in a match, timing is crucial. What I mean to say is that the team is very far from a rinse and repeat process (pun intended!). I am open to suggestions and ideas and will happily test stuff out on the ladder, and if you use the team, most of all, enjoy! I hope this is a successful first post on my new account, I've been on Smogon a long, long time.

Replays
I have included here a few replays against the team archetypes that this team can struggle against and to show how to get around them. Unfortunately I only really thought about saving replays these past few days and so I have very few good ones, although hopefully this can give a little idea how this team overcomes stall mainly.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-429645202. Against Hail.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-429644720. Against Stall.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-429650348. Against Stall.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-428852507. Against Stall.

Importable
Politoed @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Encore
- Toxic
- Rest

Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Focus Punch

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Heat Wave

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

cool rmt dude. i dont know much about ou, and even less about rain in ou, but it looks pretty good. a bit surprised to have not seen megavenusaur in the threat list , but you have tornadus.

Thank you :) I guess Mega Venusaur comes under bulky water resists. I've found that using Tornadus, as you say, is the best way to deal with Venu, but under rain Ferrothorn is a pretty good check and Gengar can switch in comfortably and threaten to burn too. Venusaur can't recover up much in rain, with Synthesis only taking back 25%, but despite all this it can definitely be a bit of a pain to the two rain sweepers!

IL PLEUT IL MOUILLE!

Introduction

Welcome to my RMT! Rain has always been my favourite playstyle since BW when weather was permanent. However, when XY came along rain was nerfed and basically went out of use. Over the last few weeks I've tried to build a rain team that can do well in the current meta and show that rain is a perfectly viable playstyle, and in my opinion should be used more! I've managed to stay in the mid to high 1800s on the ladder with this team during OLT over the past couple of weeks and this is not down to me being an excellent player (I'm not!) but because I believe rain works very well. I have tried many variations on this team and I have finally reached a team that I am happy with, so now I am opening it up to all of you to see whether you can help me out! I peaked at 1932 #30 on the ladder with this version of the team. Oh, and the title is from a children's song in French about rain, a very rough translation would be "when it rains, stuff gets wet!"

Ladder Peak

Descriptions

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

Of course, a rain team needs a rain setter, and this job comes down to Politoed, being the only rain setter usable in OU. Although Politoed is not the strongest Pokemon it is essential to the team and certainly not deadweight when compared to the rest of the team. Politoed has two basic options, an offensive or a defensive spread. I firmly believe that defence is the way to go, since rain can struggle more against stall, and Politoed actually performs well against stall, and longevity is key, since Politoed may need to come in several times to set up rain. Damp rock is essential in my opinion, since 8 potential rain turns really makes a difference. I chose max defence EVs because the team struggles against physical attackers such as Mega Lopunny or Bisharp, and this enables Politoed to tank hits. Scald is Politoed's attacking move, and I don't think I need to discuss the reasons for choosing it. Toxic is extremely useful to help wear down bulkier Pokemon and water types in general, such as Rotom-W, Keldeo, Gastrodon, Tangrowth etc. Encore is a great move on Politoed to help stop set up sweepers as well as granting free switch ins to other Pokemon on the team. Perish song is another option, but I do not believe it works as well, as 3 turns is usually enough for the opposing Pokemon to cause enough problems before switching out.

Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Focus Punch

Mega Swampert is my first choice of rain sweeper and also my mega slot. The combination of Swampert's bulk and power means it is very difficult to stop under rain. I wanted a physical rain sweeper on my team, meaning that the choice came down to either Kabutops or Swampert. Although Kabutops frees up a mega slot, I believe that Swampert is the better choice. Kabutops is frail and provides no electric immunity and has to run Aqua Jet as water coverage if it runs Swords Dance. I chose an Adamant nature over a Jolly nature as although this means Swampert is outsped by some scarfers, Swampert suffers heavily from the loss of power a Jolly nature would give. I then maxed out attack and speed, so that Swampert can still outspeed almost all non scarf Pokemon under rain. As for the moves, Waterfall and Earthquake are essential and are Swampert's main attacking STAB moves and Ice punch is a very strong move in the current metagame given the proliferation of Garchomp, Landorus and Latios. Finally, although it may seem like a gimmick, I believe Focus Punch is a strong move in the fourth slot. Swampert's two most common switch-ins are Ferrothorn and Rotom-W, and both are hit hard on the switch, and physically defensive Skarmory is caught on the roost as it tries to recover for around 90%. The other fourth slot move options are Power up Punch, Low Kick and Thunder Punch. I find Power up Punch to be so weak that it is not really worth it, despite the attack boost, especially as Swampert does not usually have time to set up in the rain. Low Kick is certainly an option, but it is of no help against Skarmory and Rotom-W and I find that Thunder Punch is not needed as Earthquake provides good neutral coverage on water types and Gyarados is rather rare now.

252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable in Rain: 252-297 (63.9 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 240-284 (80.2 - 94.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 217-256 (67.1 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 268-316 (76.1 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory in Rain: 271-321 (81.1 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (on roost)
-1 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T in Rain: 252-296 (65.9 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

I chose Kingdra as my second rain sweeper. I wanted a special sweeper to achieve a balance between physical and special sweepers on the team. Seismitoad is the only real option other than Kingdra, but does not pair up well with Swampert for obvious reasons. The main choice with Kingdra is whether to hold Choice Specs or Life Orb. I prefer Choice Specs, mainly for the raw power of water moves as well as for longevity, Kingdra has decent enough defences to take hits and priority, but a Life Orb would destroy this capability as after a few hits and rocks, Kingdra will go down to Extremespeeds and Fake Outs. This set has two water moves. The reason for this is mainly because Hydro Pump is risky and should only be used if it is necessary. Scald is usually sufficient for OHKOs against offensive Pokemon under rain and also can weaken checks with burns on switch ins such as Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur. Draco Meteor is there as a dragon stab and an extremely hard hitting move which few mons can switch into, Dragon Pulse is an option but usually Draco will be chosen for more of a hit and run strategy so I think it is better. Finally, Ice Beam provides useful coverage for grass types. A modest nature is used for maximum power output.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Mega Scizor in Rain: 295-348 (86 - 101.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Scald vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable in Rain: 237-279 (60.1 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 240-284 (80.2 - 94.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo in Rain: 141-167 (43.6 - 51.7%) -- 69.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W in Rain: 168-198 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn is the primary defensive backbone of the team and my rock setter. Rain alleviates Ferrothorn's fire weakness and helps it take hidden power fire coverage moves from Pokemon such as Latios. I decided to run a fully physically defensive spread on Ferrothorn because the team struggles more with physical attackers, and this spread lets Ferrothorn take a Hi-Jump Kick from Mega Lopunny and retaliate with Gyro Ball for example, as well as dealing with Landorus and Bisharp more easily. Knock off is a key move on this set, since it lets Ferrothorn weaken opposing defensive Pokemon that cause the team problems, in particular Amoongus, Rotom-W and opposing Ferrothorn as well as punishing switch ins in general. Removing opposing Pokemon's leftovers, like Rotom-W means Swampert and Kingdra have a much easier time breaking through these Pokemon, which is often the crux of the battles for this team. Leech seed is good for gaining back health, although it is not a move I find I use often, perhaps Spikes is a better option.

Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Heat Wave

Tornadus-T is fantastic in the current Metagame, and particularly so on this team thanks to rain granting Tornadus 100% accurate hurricanes. Although Life Orb is an option I much prefer Assault Vest as it allows Tornadus to act as a special sponge and switch in to Pokemon such as Latios with relative ease. Due to this rather defensive role I have used the set with a fair amount of HP investment to tank special hits a lot more easily. Hurricane is very strong under rain and Knock Off helps weaken defensive Pokemon such as Rotom-W as explained in the Ferrothorn text. U-turn is a fantastic move here, enabling free switches into my two rain sweepers as well as providing a lot of momentum for the team. Finally Heat Wave is rather unusual, in that it is obviously hindered by rain but I have found that it catches many Scizors and Ferrothorns off guard since it is obviously not expected and often Tornadus will be battling when rain is not present, since when rain is present, Swampert and Kingdra tend to be on the field so I have found it to be a clever option for the 4th coverage move which works well.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

The 6th slot on this team is one that I have changed many times. Originally it was Raikou, but I found that Raikou was deadweight against stall. I then tried Kabutops, Manaphy and others before settling on Gengar. This set is one of my favourite sets and can really help wear down Swampert and Kingdra's checks and counters with Will-O-Wisp as well as outright take down walls through the combination of Taunt + Destiny Bond which is now quite rare and so is often a surprise. Hex is great in conjunction with Will-O-Wisp and also hits Gliscor very hard. I will often lead with Gengar as it can stop rocks, taunting slower stealth rock users as well as burn 1-2 Pokemon on the other team. It is also a Pokemon which is strong against stall if used carefully since Taunt prevents any kind of recovery and Hex hits for a lot of damage if the opposing Pokemon is burnt. A sash is used as Gengar is usually my lead of choice and the EVs are fairly self explanatory, it would be possible to run more HP, but Gengar is already very frail, and often wants to be taken out thanks to Destiny Bond.

Threats
If there is one team archetype that this team struggles against it would have to be stall. The presence of Mega Sableye on almost all stall teams means it is very difficult to get Stealth Rock up and pressure the opponent.
Set up sweepers also cause this team problems as it cannot really switch in to boosted sweepers and Pokemon such as Bisharp or Pinsir that have priority means that they are difficult to revenge kill with Swampert and Kingdra.
Finally other weathers that disrupt the rain can cause a problem, such as sand and hail, which has recently become a lot more common. Tyranitar however has difficulty setting up sand due to 4 out of 6 of the Pokemon on the team having a good matchup against it.
Mega Lopunny has also given me particular problems, and probably priority users in general, since they can often halt the rain sweepers on the team.
Bulky water resists. These can be a problem and I have discussed how to get around them throughout the RMT. Generally, knocking off the item or getting a burn is enough to allow Kingdra or Swampert to break through.
However none of these threats are insurmountable, they are far from it. With the correct plays I believe any match can potentially be won with this team, as in there are no "auto losses".

Conclusion

So there we have it, we have reached the end of the RMT, I hope you enjoyed and I encourage you to use the team! The importable is below. One thing to mention is that the team cannot really be played mechanically, which people often think about rain. Preserving Politoed is important and I will often only set up rain once in a match, timing is crucial. What I mean to say is that the team is very far from a rinse and repeat process (pun intended!). I am open to suggestions and ideas and will happily test stuff out on the ladder, and if you use the team, most of all, enjoy! I hope this is a successful first post on my new account, I've been on Smogon a long, long time.

Replays
I have included here a few replays against the team archetypes that this team can struggle against and to show how to get around them. Unfortunately I only really thought about saving replays these past few days and so I have very few good ones, although hopefully this can give a little idea how this team overcomes stall mainly.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-429645202. Against Hail.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-429644720. Against Stall.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-429650348. Against Stall.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-428852507. Against Stall.

Importable
Politoed @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Encore
- Toxic
- Rest

Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Focus Punch

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Heat Wave

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
This is a strong team, but Altaria is a big counter imo.

Altaria can switch in with cloud nine and stop rain, as well as have fire blast for ferrothorn, and it can effectively set up on politoed.
Other than that it looks good.

Also, wouldn't normal Tornadus be better in this team as a rain setter?

Tornadus@Damp Rock
Ability : Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Rain Dance
- Taunt
- U-Turn

Altaria can switch in with cloud nine and stop rain, as well as have fire blast for ferrothorn, and it can effectively set up on politoed.

Tornadus@Damp Rock
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Rain Dance
- Taunt
- U-Turn
no.

._.

norm torn sucks lol.

and why would u een use regular altaria in ou lololol.

._.

and it cant set up on toad cos it has encore mate .-.

onto the rate;
what about using manaphy on the sixth slot did you dislike? also maybe check out this rmt
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/downpour-peaked-1.3524071/

and this rmt
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/heavy-rain-peaked-1-on-ou-ladder.3525035/

both rain teams peaked #1

Last edited:

Tornadus@Damp Rock
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Rain Dance
- Taunt
- U-Turn
As SovereignC2 replied, I think Torndadus-T would lose out quite heavily on not having an Assault Vest, since I have actually tested a set similar to this, although the principle of another rain setter is a good one.

Mega Altaria (rather than normal Altaria) can be a problem because it is very bulky and can take hits well, but it can't set up on Politoed (Encore) and Ferrothorn can Gyro Ball for a lot of damage too.

no.

._.

norm torn sucks lol.

and why would u een use regular altaria in ou lololol.

._.

and it cant set up on toad cos it has encore mate .-.

onto the rate;
what about using manaphy on the sixth slot did you dislike? also maybe check out this rmt
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/downpour-peaked-1.3524071/

and this rmt
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/heavy-rain-peaked-1-on-ou-ladder.3525035/

both rain teams peaked #1
I've tried Manaphy as I mentioned in the Gengar text, but I found that it to be a little underwhelming. I don't think it synergises well with the team, being another water type and it has problems with the same Pokemon that Kingdra and Swampert do, but perhaps it was the way I played it.

I have seen both of these RMTs but I feel as if the metagame has changed very much since over a year and a half ago! I have tried the teams as well, and I don't feel like they work as well as they used to. Thanks for the advice :)

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Hey Yumoji, nice rain team, i have a couple of suggestions for you, though! While Focus Punch is a nice alternative on Swampert, Knock Off Ferrothorn and the capability of your team of pressuring Rotom-Wash with powerful Water-types make me think that Rain Dance Swampert could be a good alternative. In fact while that doesn't add anything to your offensive coverage, it makes your team way less Politoed-reliant. In fact you have another setter that can win lategames on its own even if Politoed is gone. That helps dealing with Scizors, Clefables that might be very threatening in an 1v1 scenario without rain being up.

Also, i was thinking about your last member, which is very splashable. One of the worst things for Rain teams are entry hazards because they weaken rain sweepers and prevent you from playing aggressively with lots of double switches like a good rain team requires. Therefore, I'd suggest you to run an hazards remover. In this role, you can run either Aura Sphere Togekiss or Latias. While the former is a good choice against Garchomp, Landorus and common leads (Aura Sphere outspeeds and OHKOes Bisharp), the latter provides Healing Wish support, so that it's like you have three rain sweepers instead of two. Note that Healing Wish can be used on Politoed as well in case you need it to be at full health. Latias is also a very good switch-in against Rotom-Wash, softening the matchup versus Bulky Waters.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 232 HP / 92 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Defog
- Roost

OR

DUKE MONTANA (Latias) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 180 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog

However that's all, congrats on your ladder peak and good luck with your team!

Hey there, first of all grats on the team, it's very effective and enjoyable to use. There's not a great deal of movement regarding Rain in OU since Politoed, Tornadus-T, Swampert, Kingdra and Ferrothorn are a pretty staple 5, however personally I would consider Latias over Gengar. It's not a compulsory change, however you maintain a secondary Ground immunity, gain some useful resistances, it has the same speed tier as Gengar, and superior bulk, allowing it to better take on Pokemon like Mega Pinsir, Breloom, Mega Venusaur, Rotom W, Keldeo which with the right teammates could cause this team problems. You also gain the ability to remove hazards with Defog and Healing Wish, giving either Mega Swampert or Kingdra which both detest status a second chance to sweep.
Personally I would give Ferrothorn Power Whip over Knock Off to merk Pokemon like Rotom W, Mega Gyarados, Keldeos, Azumarill etc. which in my opinion is far more important than removing Amoonguss and opposing Ferro's items.
I would also run Dragon Pulse over Ice Beam on Kingdra and Superpower/Low Kick over Focus Punch on Mega Pert because I feel like these are less situational, superior choices.
Overall though, excellent team and props on the RMT!
~WhimsicottIsBroken

ninjad on the Latias suggestion, honestly hadn't read it when I made this post

Hey Yumoji, nice rain team, i have a couple of suggestions for you, though! While Focus Punch is a nice alternative on Swampert, Knock Off Ferrothorn and the capability of your team of pressuring Rotom-Wash with powerful Water-types make me think that Rain Dance Swampert could be a good alternative. In fact while that doesn't add anything to your offensive coverage, it makes your team way less Politoed-reliant. In fact you have another setter that can win lategames on its own even if Politoed is gone. That helps dealing with Scizors, Clefables that might be very threatening in an 1v1 scenario without rain being up.

Also, i was thinking about your last member, which is very splashable. One of the worst things for Rain teams are entry hazards because they weaken rain sweepers and prevent you from playing aggressively with lots of double switches like a good rain team requires. Therefore, I'd suggest you to run an hazards remover. In this role, you can run either Aura Sphere Togekiss or Latias. While the former is a good choice against Garchomp, Landorus and common leads (Aura Sphere outspeeds and OHKOes Bisharp), the latter provides Healing Wish support, so that it's like you have three rain sweepers instead of two. Note that Healing Wish can be used on Politoed as well in case you need it to be at full health. Latias is also a very good switch-in against Rotom-Wash, softening the matchup versus Bulky Waters.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 232 HP / 92 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Defog
- Roost

OR

DUKE MONTANA (Latias) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 180 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog

However that's all, congrats on your ladder peak and good luck with your team!
Hi Tricking, thanks a lot for the rate! I like the idea of Rain Dance on Swampert as a 4th move which could turn it into a set up sweeper by itself which could be especially helpful late game, or just as a secondary rain setter.

I've tried Togekiss over Gengar actually, but not the Aura Sphere set, I found it worked okay, but I'll give this one a go too, as well as Latias which the next ratet also suggested! Defog support would definitely be useful against Spikes teams, and obviously Healing Wish is great to bring back a sweeper or potential Politoed late game for more rain.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Hey there, first of all grats on the team, it's very effective and enjoyable to use. There's not a great deal of movement regarding Rain in OU since Politoed, Tornadus-T, Swampert, Kingdra and Ferrothorn are a pretty staple 5, however personally I would consider Latias over Gengar. It's not a compulsory change, however you maintain a secondary Ground immunity, gain some useful resistances, it has the same speed tier as Gengar, and superior bulk, allowing it to better take on Pokemon like Mega Pinsir, Breloom, Mega Venusaur, Rotom W, Keldeo which with the right teammates could cause this team problems. You also gain the ability to remove hazards with Defog and Healing Wish, giving either Mega Swampert or Kingdra which both detest status a second chance to sweep.
Personally I would give Ferrothorn Power Whip over Knock Off to merk Pokemon like Rotom W, Mega Gyarados, Keldeos, Azumarill etc. which in my opinion is far more important than removing Amoonguss and opposing Ferro's items.
I would also run Dragon Pulse over Ice Beam on Kingdra and Superpower/Low Kick over Focus Punch on Mega Pert because I feel like these are less situational, superior choices.
Overall though, excellent team and props on the RMT!
~WhimsicottIsBroken

ninjad on the Latias suggestion, honestly hadn't read it when I made this post
Hi, thanks for the rate! Clearly, you and Tricking both thought of Lati at the same moment! You can see what I replied to him aha. Power Whip is a move I've used too, and it honestly works well, I've just found that wearing down bulky water resists is so much easier if they don't have passive recovery, but of course against the Pokemon that you mention, Power Whip is stronger.

I've tried Dragon Pulse on Kingdra, but I find losing the Ice type coverage is not so good, since I'm almost always just spamming water moves on Kingdra anyway. Dragon Pulse over Draco is also an option but then you lose out on raw power. Perhaps I will try Dragon Pulse out again and see how it works :) I've tried Low Kick on Swampert, and I'm honestly not a fan, but Superpower seems interesting I will give it a go.

Thanks for all the ideas!

C'est la fête à la grenouille ♪

sry :v
Bien sûr!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)